Kessler looking good so far
-
So here is the question we need to ask about the "non-NFL body". Is he the next Drew Brees? Watched that lil old guy bring his team way back to a win the last 5 min. yesterday. Still amazing for a guy that size. Still able to read D's like he wrote the book.
....and Brees didn't read Ds like that in his rookie year. I love Kessler's accuracy, poise, work ethic, & willingness to address his own shortcomings. There is a lot to work with in the kid. Personally, at this point, I do not see a dominant college QB for next years draft, so if Kessler continues to progress, why not go heavy on D early next draft?
Mike
so if Kessler continues to progress, why not go heavy on D early next draft?
Mike
Best post everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....
In fact, why not go heavy D no matter what....if Hue gets 4 WR's.....then Mud should get 4 LB's AND 4 CB's......fair is fair
Edit.....and sign a few OL in FA......(which should have already happened....but, I digress.......)
-
I think no matter what they will have to address defense. A Myles Garrett plus one other defensive player first round would be damn nice.
-
I like Kessler so far. But I'm going to need to see him stretch the field (if he can).
Almost everything has been very short passes. Defenses will defend a shorter field on him which will make it more difficult to run.
Obviously we need to draft defense....but we cannot forget about the OL.
And WR might still be an issue. Right now it's Pryor or nothing.
-
I like Kessler so far. But I'm going to need to see him stretch the field (if he can).
Almost everything has been very short passes. Defenses will defend a shorter field on him which will make it more difficult to run.
Obviously we need to draft defense....but we cannot forget about the OL.
And WR might still be an issue. Right now it's Pryor or nothing.
And WR might still be an issue. Right now it's Pryor or nothing.
....we just drafted 4 of em....NO!
I keep hearing Higgins was a star at camp and Payton & Louis are solid too.....so play em!
(where is Higgins anyway???)
And Colemans just got a hand issue, he's not gone forever....no WR's in the draft(repeat repeat)
-
I like Kessler so far. But I'm going to need to see him stretch the field (if he can).
Almost everything has been very short passes. Defenses will defend a shorter field on him which will make it more difficult to run.
Obviously we need to draft defense....but we cannot forget about the OL.
And WR might still be an issue. Right now it's Pryor or nothing.
I like Kessler so far. But I'm going to need to see him stretch the field (if he can).
Almost everything has been very short passes. Defenses will defend a shorter field on him which will make it more difficult to run.
Obviously we need to draft defense....but we cannot forget about the OL.
And WR might still be an issue. Right now it's Pryor or nothing.
I also agree that we cannot forget about OL, but that can be addressed mid draft or later. Get the defensive PLAYMAKERS early.
Mike
-
High picks aren't just for the first round...
uh-huh...
-
I think people are overstating the issues with the OL. Our run game is fine. We have the best left tackle in football. We have two guards that are really good. You don't need a dominant, first/second rounders across the board-type OL to win a championship. Yes, Dallas has it. So far, it's gotten them basically nothing.
To have three really good players on your OL is more than most teams. I think we worry too much just because we tasted a very good OL in 2014 (which still didn't land us a winning season) and people want to experience that again. I'm not saying don't draft any, but I'd like to make 100% sure Erving, Bailey, Pasztor, Reiter, Coleman, and Drango suck first. That's a lot of decent options. You hit on one, you've got 4 good players on your OL. Hit on 2, and you've got studs across the board. Why waste draft picks on it until you really know?
Let's shore up this defense in 2017 and I think we can win 6-8 next year with a solid wild card run in 2018 and a true SB contender thereafter. We are getting there. Patience, my friends.
-
I like Kessler so far. But I'm going to need to see him stretch the field (if he can).
Almost everything has been very short passes. Defenses will defend a shorter field on him which will make it more difficult to run.
Obviously we need to draft defense....but we cannot forget about the OL.
And WR might still be an issue. Right now it's Pryor or nothing.
I also agree that we cannot forget about OL, but that can be addressed mid draft or later. Get the defensive PLAYMAKERS early.
Mike
I also agree that we cannot forget about OL, but that can be addressed mid draft or later. Get the defensive PLAYMAKERS early.
Mike
Plus 3-I have stated often that you start with a dominant D if you want to get to the big dance. Denver did it and is still doing it even though they too are down to their 3rd choice QB (a rookie) when you consider they did not retain Osweiler. Get a D that keeps you in close games and game managers who don't turn it over can win. Proven year after year. Develop an O that is satisfied to dink and dunk and run those 3-4 yds per play that can retain the ball for long periods to give that great D a rest now and again. Best teams have this formula down.
PS-and like many here I think we are a couple of great edge rushers away. Get those and watch the DBs suddenly play great. Amazing what less time does to a QBs thinking and accuracy.
-
Meanwhile back at the topic... a Kessler note from early in the Fins' game...
On the strip sack he suffered, and for which Paz was roasted, Kess took the snap in the gun and dropped two steps... all per coaching. However, then when his first read was not "there" he drifted back an additional two-yards into Wake's outside path being dictated by Paz. Not only was there was insufficient pressure up the middle to prompt this, but also an escape route big enough to drive a truck through was up and to Wake's side.
Worse yet, while drifting, Kess' feet were parallel to the LOS, i.e., he was totally unprepared to throw had he seen anything open up. Really bad fundamentals that can be corrected, but the lack of pocket awareness is a concern. -
It's true.
Then it's the first time in history that a team has tanked with no 1st round pick.
I think people are overstating the issues with the OL. Our run game is fine. We have the best left tackle in football. We have two guards that are really good. You don't need a dominant, first/second rounders across the board-type OL to win a championship. Yes, Dallas has it. So far, it's gotten them basically nothing.
To have three really good players on your OL is more than most teams. I think we worry too much just because we tasted a very good OL in 2014 (which still didn't land us a winning season) and people want to experience that again. I'm not saying don't draft any, but I'd like to make 100% sure Erving, Bailey, Pasztor, Reiter, Coleman, and Drango suck first. That's a lot of decent options. You hit on one, you've got 4 good players on your OL. Hit on 2, and you've got studs across the board. Why waste draft picks on it until you really know?
Let's shore up this defense in 2017 and I think we can win 6-8 next year with a solid wild card run in 2018 and a true SB contender thereafter. We are getting there. Patience, my friends.
Pretty much agree with this although I think "suck" is in the rearview mirror for most of your OL list. RT is really my only concern and I still have expectations for Shon. Inside we look pretty strong... especially with our latest incarnation. Not grading the Miami game, but am watching the interior closely in my on-going replay and the early returns are good. Even Cam might yet develop... which at this point would be "gravy".
QB is still my top draft priority at this point, but if "the guy" is not seen in the 2017 draft, and I do not think at this point that his absence is a given, OR if Kess exceeds expectations, then D by all means... especially Days 1 and 2.
The monkey in the wrench could be Crow who is in his final contract year. If lost, and this possibility could be mitigated by a high tender, then his replacement might take a Day 2, or even a late Day 1, pick, but we can afford that... especially if a QB is not in the cards.
Amen to the patience...
-
I think it's safe to say that the rookie WR's aren't quite there yet. Either that or Cody doesn't trust them or have the necessary connection. Against the Redskins, it was pretty obvious that Cody was virtually locking onto Pryor and nobody else. The few times Cody looked elsewhere, he found Ricardo. Funny thing is, I thought Ricardo was the guy who had the MOST to learn, but he's the guy out there making plays. We are so desperate for Coleman to get healthy, it's not even funny. Hawkins can get open on the short stuff, but he's ZERO threat in intermediate or deep stuff. Radio guys said that Hawkins simply can't get open, and it really hurt Cody last game. I haven't seen the bird's eye, but I'm sure they did.
Our WR inexperience and injuries are really hurting us. Gordon crushed us, and Coleman's injury is beyond sickening. Guess we should be happy that he'll be back soon, but I haven't heard word ONE about when to expect him (other than 4-6 weeks). I'm drastically hoping Coleman comes back closer to four weeks, instead of the six. Cody also has to find more Barnidge. Not sure if he's not open, or if Cody isn't finding him. Whatever the case is, we need more Gary.
I definitely want to see more Higgins and Payton. I can't hardly remembering their names being called. We're 0-4, so a very big part of this season is evaluating our young guns. Let's see what they do!
As far as drafting defense, I wouldn't have a problem with it IF we can get Myles Garrett. That guy is an extreme badass, and he's exactly what we need. I would love nothing more for Cody to continue to play well and actually BE the guy we need at QB, but I don't see it happening. If he IS the answer, than Hue is smarter than I thought. We could have our QB, ALL the previous picks we traded for, AND get Jarrett (assuming we have the top pick, which I don't think we WILL).
I think we'll either be drafting at 2 or 3. If the team continues to fight, they'll eventually start win a game here and there. The silver lining to our team completely choking (and getting SCREWED) is that our draft position increases. Hell, we're a couple of plays away from being 3-1. Of course, virtually EVERY team in the NFL can probably say that, but the fact remains we had the games close, and I think we had the damn lead at half time in several games. Don't get me wrong, I'd MUCH rather be freaking 3-1 than the only 0-4 squad, but the silver lining is that we'll have a better pick next year, and that's no small thing.
Now, if the damn Eagles would just start losing....
I don't want to come down too hard on Cody. I've been impressed with Hue Jackson's ability to get the kid ready, and more impressed with Cody's demeanor ON THE ROAD. It's incredible bad luck that his first home game is against the best QB in the free world, but whatever. I believe Cody's longest completion last game was 14 yards, and that's obviously not going to cut it this week. He simply HAS to figure out a way to get the ball somewhat down field, and Hue needs to find ways to get done as well. We all know that his arm lacks the ideal strength, but damn if the kid isn't accurate. His first TD pass was absolutely beautiful, and I want to see more of that. Pryor needs somebody on our WR corp to step the heck UP, and right now, we don't know who that will be. I believe Coleman broke his hand on the 22nd of September, so in theory, he could be back soon. I'm a little surprised we let Darious Jennings go, and it wouldn't shock me one bit to see a good team scoop him up and him have a career like Willie Snead.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login