Corey Coleman and Cody Kessler back at practice.
-
Ok boys and girls, two of our young bucks are back on the field in full capacity, and both will probably have a chance to show their stuff this weekend against Dallas. Coleman will for sure play (barring any stupid setbacks), but Hue Jackson indicated he's not ready to name our starting QB just yet. I think the smart money is on Josh McCown, as Hue is DESPERATE for a win, and he probably feels a bit more at ease with a veteran than a rookie coming off a concussion. BUT...I know that I would REALLY like to see Cody back on the field, and I want him to get as much experience as possible. Sure, I'd love to win, but I would love MORE having our QB of the future, and the only way to KNOW that is to play the kid. It's Tuesday, and if Cody is a full participant at practice already, then I think he has to get the nod. Furthermore, I want to see Cody and Corey play together. We already know that Cody locks onto Pryor (can't blame him), but how will he do when he has another option to throw to?
Corey is from Dallas, and this game will have special significance to him. I believe he'll have a bunch of family and friends at the game, and he's got to be chomping at the bit to get back at it. Other than our OL, I'm starting to like the skill players we have on offense. I already think Cody is the future, but that's just me. He needs to learn to stay healthy, and he needs to figure that out QUICKLY. What I hope the coaches and fans understand is, rookie QB's have bad games. If Cody lays a real stinker, will everyone be willing to give him the long leash he deserves? Cody probably isn't going to finish the season with a 4 to 1 TD/INT ratio, and a 67% completion rate. He might, but I doubt it. I just want Cody to get as much time as possible, and patience from the organization and fans. Who knows? Maybe he continues to play well all year, but if he lays an egg, don't be surprised. Happens to everyone, and Dallas is GOOD.
I'm interested to see Pryor and Coleman play together, and I'm HOPING that Corey's presence opens a few things up for Pryor and Gary. I obviously HATE being 0-8, but this Dallas game could be a lot of fun if Cody gets to play. It's as close to "full strength" as our offense will get this year.
-
In terms of the Dallas game, yes it could very well be messy - in terms of them scoring points. With Pryor hopefully step faster recovering from his hammy, and Coleman on the field to distract some coverage, it could well open up a lot of possibilities for us against what is a decidedly mediocre Dallas defense, particularly in the rushing category.
-
If Cody plays, and plays well again, I think we can move the ball. We have to get 7, and not settle for FG's. Conversely, our defense needs to force some FG's, because Dallas is going to move the ball on us. Game might be a touch closer than predicted. Just a hunch.
-
We're not holding them under 30 points. Probably, they'll end up with 40, or perhaps more. But if we can try, with our shiny new linebacker, to keep them under 40, it's just possible we might be able to outscore them in a shootout. The cowboys are not *that* good, and are probably due for an unexpected loss.
But that's extremely wishful thinking.
-
If Cody plays, and plays well again, I think we can move the ball. We have to get 7, and not settle for FG's. Conversely, our defense needs to force some FG's, because Dallas is going to move the ball on us. Game might be a touch closer than predicted. Just a hunch.
Game might be a touch closer than predicted. Just a hunch.
From Poly(anna)tech?

-
It matters not who gets the QB start if we cannot run the ball.
But, yes, give Kess the nod. Since McC has now healed, RG3 cannot be far behind... and when recalled from IR, he will get the starts again.
It matters not who gets the QB start if we cannot run the ball.
But, yes, give Kess the nod. Since McC has now healed, RG3 cannot be far behind... and when recalled from IR, he will get the starts again.
Gotta disagree with you here T, but you're wrong that RG will get the starts........ The 's' indicates plural, and there's no way in hell he can stay healthy for multiple games.......... Hell, maybe not even for multiple quarters.

-
I really hope Cody gets the start over Josh. I like McCown, but he's hit his ceiling already. Let's see what Kessler can do.
-
I really hope Cody gets the start over Josh. I like McCown, but he's hit his ceiling already. Let's see what Kessler can do.
I really hope Cody gets the start over Josh. I like McCown, but he's hit his ceiling already. Let's see what Kessler can do.
Hue Jackson is starting to irritate me a little now. I can tell during his press conferences that he's getting pissed off, and his snarky attitude is coming through. I can't blame the guy, I'm sure I'd be in a lousy mood if my team was 0-8. For example, Cody was cleared to practice fully, yet Hue Jackson refused to name Cody the starter yesterday. It's like...really coach? He said it's, "Way too early to talk about that." Uh......why? Why not say something like, "If Cody is feeling good and practices well, then he'll start." But it comes off as Hue being spiteful and not wanting to give the media ANYTHING.
I still think Hue Jackson is the right man for the job, but cmon man...just name the kid the starter and quit with the bullshit.
-
McCown managed to lose to a very bad Jets team. 2 ints, 70 something qbr. I've seen enough of Josh. I hope Hue has too.
McCown managed to lose to a very bad Jets team. 2 ints, 70 something qbr. I've seen enough of Josh. I hope Hue has too.
Maybe im not remembering the game right but werent those two ints, at least one of them, tipped by the receiver? Mccown didnt strike me as the reason they list to the jeys unless ur srsly expecting him to put up 40 pts a game. We scored 28 pts and still lost, surely josh geys some credit for that side of the ball no?
-
And theres nothing kessler is doing right now that josh cant. Id rather wait a game or two si kessler is certain to be 100%. But remember browns fans, kessler could be needed 5 minutes into the 1st quarter cause josh is being stretchered out.
-
I really hope Cody gets the start over Josh. I like McCown, but he's hit his ceiling already. Let's see what Kessler can do.
Hue Jackson is starting to irritate me a little now. I can tell during his press conferences that he's getting pissed off, and his snarky attitude is coming through. I can't blame the guy, I'm sure I'd be in a lousy mood if my team was 0-8. For example, Cody was cleared to practice fully, yet Hue Jackson refused to name Cody the starter yesterday. It's like...really coach? He said it's, "Way too early to talk about that." Uh......why? Why not say something like, "If Cody is feeling good and practices well, then he'll start." But it comes off as Hue being spiteful and not wanting to give the media ANYTHING.
I still think Hue Jackson is the right man for the job, but cmon man...just name the kid the starter and quit with the bullshit.
Hue Jackson is starting to irritate me a little now. I can tell during his press conferences that he's getting pissed off, and his snarky attitude is coming through. I can't blame the guy, I'm sure I'd be in a lousy mood if my team was 0-8. For example, Cody was cleared to practice fully, yet Hue Jackson refused to name Cody the starter yesterday. It's like...really coach? He said it's, "Way too early to talk about that." Uh......why? Why not say something like, "If Cody is feeling good and practices well, then he'll start." But it comes off as Hue being spiteful and not wanting to give the media ANYTHING.
I still think Hue Jackson is the right man for the job, but cmon man...just name the kid the starter and quit with the bullshit.
I'm OK with it, as it gives the Cowboys something else to scheme for as Cody and Josh play two different games.......... Treat the media like mushrooms, keep em in the dark and feed em nothing but shit.
-
I don't want McCown starting if Kessler is healthy! It's counter productive. Is a win going to solve the QB problem of the future? How can we determine who's going to be here for the long run if Josh McCown is in at Quarterback. How is this helping? I personally don't think Kessler has the arm strength or the athleticism to be a starting QB in the NFL and would like for him too prove me wrong. Kessler, Hogan and McCown would be my depth chart. They are 0-8 and not a good team. Play the Rookies now!
-
Maybe hue doesn't want to name a starter automatically because he doesn't want the cowboys to plan against one guy.
-
If Kessler has been medically cleared to play, then I'd like to see him play......because that's what our QB of the future would be expected to do.
McCown was not the reason that we lost the last game....but he wasn't the reason that we won it either...we could really use a QB that can 'win' the game. I'm certain that it's a little unfair to judge him in that way since he's been out since game two and only had what, three or four days of practice.......but Kessler has been the one playing all this time. And he's been playing ok...and might be improving a little bit. With a 0-7 record, why would you start the old guy at this point?
-
McCown managed to lose to a very bad Jets team. 2 ints, 70 something qbr. I've seen enough of Josh. I hope Hue has too.
Maybe im not remembering the game right but werent those two ints, at least one of them, tipped by the receiver? Mccown didnt strike me as the reason they list to the jeys unless ur srsly expecting him to put up 40 pts a game. We scored 28 pts and still lost, surely josh geys some credit for that side of the ball no?
That's right... three is not enough... make them prepare for all four of the QBs they might see...

Maybe im not remembering the game right but werent those two ints, at least one of them, tipped by the receiver? Mccown didnt strike me as the reason they list to the jeys unless ur srsly expecting him to put up 40 pts a game. We scored 28 pts and still lost, surely josh geys some credit for that side of the ball no?
The deep pass to Pryor looked overthrown, but Pryor had pulled up with the ball in the air. The short pass to Duke on a quick post trailing off a stack was late. The ball arrived the same time as the Safety and was popped back towards the line.
Josh played well for a QB that had been out a few weeks. He certainly gave us our best chance to win vs. Jets. Same is probably true this week, but the QB decision is closer... much closer than the game is likely to be.
-
I really hope Cody gets the start over Josh. I like McCown, but he's hit his ceiling already. Let's see what Kessler can do.
I really hope Cody gets the start over Josh. I like McCown, but he's hit his ceiling already. Let's see what Kessler can do.
shit man I would rather see Kevin Hogan play over josh at this point in the season
-
Great, Cam will be there right after getting turn-styled to help pick up Cody off his ass in pocket. And now Shon Coleman & Durango can get sent out wide to watch Coleman get blasted on a inside slant. Not in time for a block but, damn we'll get there to pick you up..Is this by chance called the Avis package or Hertz?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
