Skip to content

Corey Coleman and Cody Kessler back at practice.

The Browns Board
41 16 1.3k
  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #22

    Please don't quote Ghoolie...

  • Please don't quote Ghoolie...

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @tour2ma said:

    Please don't quote Ghoolie...

    But I already miss him. NOT!!!

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #24

    I can still see the Pryor bomb play in my head. I jumped out of my chair and clenched my drink so hard I crumpled the can in anticipation of the crowd going crazy for a deep TD...

    After that incompletion, I knew the game was over. Apparently Pryor said he didn't "open up" or something, and said it was his fault. I didn't watch the play again because I was busy cursing.

  • I can still see the Pryor bomb play in my head. I jumped out of my chair and clenched my drink so hard I crumpled the can in anticipation of the crowd going crazy for a deep TD...

    After that incompletion, I knew the game was over. Apparently Pryor said he didn't "open up" or something, and said it was his fault. I didn't watch the play again because I was busy cursing.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @jiggins7919 said:

    ... I crumpled the can ...

    Once upon a time that was a feat...

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #26

    0-8.

    Play the f'n rookie every week he is healthy. Josh is a good mentor to help him cope with each game (on the sidelines).

  • 0-8.

    Play the f'n rookie every week he is healthy. Josh is a good mentor to help him cope with each game (on the sidelines).

    D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @texasag1969 said:

    0-8.

    Play the f'n rookie every week he is healthy. Josh is a good mentor to help him cope with each game (on the sidelines).

    No kidding. If Hue starts either Josh, or GlassFrame3 when Cody is healthy and ready, then I'm going to freak out on him myself.

  • Ok boys and girls, two of our young bucks are back on the field in full capacity, and both will probably have a chance to show their stuff this weekend against Dallas. Coleman will for sure play (barring any stupid setbacks), but Hue Jackson indicated he's not ready to name our starting QB just yet. I think the smart money is on Josh McCown, as Hue is DESPERATE for a win, and he probably feels a bit more at ease with a veteran than a rookie coming off a concussion. BUT...I know that I would REALLY like to see Cody back on the field, and I want him to get as much experience as possible. Sure, I'd love to win, but I would love MORE having our QB of the future, and the only way to KNOW that is to play the kid. It's Tuesday, and if Cody is a full participant at practice already, then I think he has to get the nod. Furthermore, I want to see Cody and Corey play together. We already know that Cody locks onto Pryor (can't blame him), but how will he do when he has another option to throw to?

    Corey is from Dallas, and this game will have special significance to him. I believe he'll have a bunch of family and friends at the game, and he's got to be chomping at the bit to get back at it. Other than our OL, I'm starting to like the skill players we have on offense. I already think Cody is the future, but that's just me. He needs to learn to stay healthy, and he needs to figure that out QUICKLY. What I hope the coaches and fans understand is, rookie QB's have bad games. If Cody lays a real stinker, will everyone be willing to give him the long leash he deserves? Cody probably isn't going to finish the season with a 4 to 1 TD/INT ratio, and a 67% completion rate. He might, but I doubt it. I just want Cody to get as much time as possible, and patience from the organization and fans. Who knows? Maybe he continues to play well all year, but if he lays an egg, don't be surprised. Happens to everyone, and Dallas is GOOD.

    I'm interested to see Pryor and Coleman play together, and I'm HOPING that Corey's presence opens a few things up for Pryor and Gary. I obviously HATE being 0-8, but this Dallas game could be a lot of fun if Cody gets to play. It's as close to "full strength" as our offense will get this year.

    OsirisO Osiris wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I think the smart money is on Josh McCown, as Hue is DESPERATE for a win, and he probably feels a bit more at ease with a veteran than a rookie coming off a concussion.

    I actually think the smart money is on Kessler. McCown has shown time and time again he makes bad decisions at crucial moments in the game, which is a big part of what's behind his horrible win-loss record as quarterback. He did not use his stronger arm effectively against the Jets.

    Starting Kessler is a win-win. He gives us a better chance to win than McCown, and we give reps to a player who has a future in Cleveland.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #29

    Disagree on the "better chance", but the reps argument supersedes it...

  • @texasag1969 said:

    0-8.

    Play the f'n rookie every week he is healthy. Josh is a good mentor to help him cope with each game (on the sidelines).

    No kidding. If Hue starts either Josh, or GlassFrame3 when Cody is healthy and ready, then I'm going to freak out on him myself.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @d-bone said:

    No kidding. If Hue starts either Josh, or GlassFrame3 when Cody is healthy and ready, then I'm going to freak out on him myself.

    Yup.

    @tour2ma said:

    Disagree on the "better chance", but the reps argument supersedes it...

    🙂 Kessler has won as many games as Josh this year. I disagree on talent evaluation. Kessler moved the team in crunch time against the Dolphins, shows good decision making. McCown is Mr. Anti-clutch. Does he even have any 4th quarter comebacks on his lengthy NFL resume? There's no logic starting a career backup when the primary need is to evaluate young talent. (OK we agree there.)

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #31

    Yeah, I could be wrong on that. I actually think Cody is a bit more consistent than Josh at times, but Josh definitely has more knowledge of the offense. I also want to point out that Josh was victimized by a litany of drops last week, too. I counted at least 4, probably more though. Ricardo Louis is really about to piss me off. That 3rd and 15 he dropped when we were down 7....UGH. One of Cody's best passes.

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #32

    Several media member stated that Kessler looked "extremely sharp" during the time practice was open to them. He got the ball out quickly, knew where to go with it, and was on target. Hue Jackson kind of pissed me off with this "we'll wait to name our QB" thing. Just a couple weeks ago he said, "It's important for our guys to know who their QB is", and now he's saying that he wants to wait? Uh....

    We should know today, and I'm REALLY hoping it's Cody. I want to see him play with Coleman and Pryor.

  • Several media member stated that Kessler looked "extremely sharp" during the time practice was open to them. He got the ball out quickly, knew where to go with it, and was on target. Hue Jackson kind of pissed me off with this "we'll wait to name our QB" thing. Just a couple weeks ago he said, "It's important for our guys to know who their QB is", and now he's saying that he wants to wait? Uh....

    We should know today, and I'm REALLY hoping it's Cody. I want to see him play with Coleman and Pryor.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Several media member stated that Kessler looked "extremely sharp" during the time practice was open to them. He got the ball out quickly, knew where to go with it, and was on target. Hue Jackson kind of pissed me off with this "we'll wait to name our QB" thing. Just a couple weeks ago he said, "It's important for our guys to know who their QB is", and now he's saying that he wants to wait? Uh....

    We should know today, and I'm REALLY hoping it's Cody. I want to see him play with Coleman and Pryor.

    Jackson isn't telling the media who the starter is. Meaning he isn't telling Dallas. Doesn't mean he hasn't told the players...

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #34
  • Browns1216B Browns1216 wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @gftchris said:

    Great!!!! I'm very happy with this news, hopefully he will stay healthy

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #36

    Works for me...

    Stay healthy Cody... Keep him healthy OL...

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by jiggins7919
    #37

    Yeah, this makes me very happy. I find myself very "nervous" for Cody, as I keep having the sensation that he's due for a bad game. I mean, EVERYBODY has them, and it would be fitting that it would come against a 6-1 team and coming off a concussion. Maybe it's just my conditioning from YEARS of watching our QB's run hot and cold, but I just keep waiting for the "clunker game". Jesus, I sound like a total jackass.

    I WANT Cody to play and play well. I can't believe how much I'm behind this guy after thinking that the pick was total garbage. The more you look at his numbers, the better they start to look. I would freak out if Cody comes in this week and plays well again because it's ONE MORE step towards figuring this QB situation out. A part of me thinks that if Cody can do this well out of the gates, what's he going to do with an entire offseason as the designated starter? He isn't the kind of guy that is going to rest on his laurels and be happy with his progress. He seems like the kind of guy that's going to work his ass off and get better and better. And the thing is, the cupboard isn't bare on offense for the first time in YEARS.

    I hope fans and coaches stick with Cody if he does have an off game. Like I said, everyone has them, and he's probably due. Peyton Manning said something a few years ago that stuck with me, "I learned the most about football when I was down 30 points."

    Our starting WR's are probably going to be Pryor, Coleman, and Hawkins. Those are three guys that can get open, and Cody is a guy that can throw with accuracy. If we have a good game plan, I think we'll move the ball pretty well. I just pray Cody can play well and stay healthy.

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @gftchris said:

    And it should be Kessler. If anybody is tired about the media driven craz of Wentz & Dak IT BETTER BE KESSLER..Cousins had his U LIKE THAT game. Hope Cody's first win ends up, "What about them Cowboys"? Go get'em Kess..

  • @gftchris said:

    And it should be Kessler. If anybody is tired about the media driven craz of Wentz & Dak IT BETTER BE KESSLER..Cousins had his U LIKE THAT game. Hope Cody's first win ends up, "What about them Cowboys"? Go get'em Kess..

    jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @gumby73 said:

    And it should be Kessler. If anybody is tired about the media driven craz of Wentz & Dak IT BETTER BE KESSLER..Cousins had his U LIKE THAT game. Hope Cody's first win ends up, "What about them Cowboys"? Go get'em Kess..

    It's like I've been saying, if Cody played for the Broncos or Cowboys, you'd be hearing about him so much more. Well, that and he's got to stay healthy. Cody also needs to stick it in the end zone a few more times. Really take those deep shots, trust Gary and Pryor...put the ball in the pay dirt. I've seen a few times where he threw super short in the red zone, and that could definitely be by coach's design, and we settled for FG's. Cody has superior touch on the ball, and it's time to put some points on the board.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #40

    I like Cody as well, but not ready to fit him for a gold jacket just yet...

    While he looks to have intangibles and has improved across his five starts there are still a great many question marks. Starting with the one behind his YPA.

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    I think the smart money is on Josh McCown, as Hue is DESPERATE for a win, and he probably feels a bit more at ease with a veteran than a rookie coming off a concussion.

    I actually think the smart money is on Kessler. McCown has shown time and time again he makes bad decisions at crucial moments in the game, which is a big part of what's behind his horrible win-loss record as quarterback. He did not use his stronger arm effectively against the Jets.

    Starting Kessler is a win-win. He gives us a better chance to win than McCown, and we give reps to a player who has a future in Cleveland.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @osiris said:

    I actually think the smart money is on Kessler. McCown has shown time and time again he makes bad decisions at crucial moments in the game, which is a big part of what's behind his horrible win-loss record as quarterback. He did not use his stronger arm effectively against the Jets.

    Starting Kessler is a win-win. He gives us a better chance to win than McCown, and we give reps to a player who has a future in Cleveland.

    And let's see what Vegas thinks about DAL vs CLE this week. ....

    ....The Las Vegas sports books don't have to worry about the public cash cow this week with the Patriots having a bye. However, large amounts of small money has turned its attention to a few other teams beginning with the Cowboys (-7) at winless Cleveland as Dallas rides a six-game win and cover streak. Fortunately for the books, they've gotten some help to help balance things out.....