Skip to content

BIG TEN on Friday Nights? Oh yes starting in 2017.

College Football Forum
16 4 749
  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #6

    The ole "I know you are but what am I?" Nice.

    I like the idea. Those games will get a few extra viewers every week than they would on Saturday.

  • Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #7

    Bad idea. Friday nights are for high school football.

  • Bad idea. Friday nights are for high school football.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @bob806 said:

    Bad idea. Friday nights are for high school football.

    Our local NBC TV station has a Friday night 15 minute high school football highlight and scores show, I'm shocked how empty many or sometimes most of the stands are!

    Where are the kids, parents and boosters? Some schools have even recently updated or even rebuilt their facilities and still whole sections are empty. Big deal? Yes it is in many ways.

    Now add 6 B1G games on Fridays with 12 teams and there are hundreds or better yet thousands of people who might choose to stay home and watch a game rather than going out to support the kids and sports programs.

    I wondered when this was going to happen in the Midwest well it starts in 2017.

  • @bob806 said:

    Bad idea. Friday nights are for high school football.

    Our local NBC TV station has a Friday night 15 minute high school football highlight and scores show, I'm shocked how empty many or sometimes most of the stands are!

    Where are the kids, parents and boosters? Some schools have even recently updated or even rebuilt their facilities and still whole sections are empty. Big deal? Yes it is in many ways.

    Now add 6 B1G games on Fridays with 12 teams and there are hundreds or better yet thousands of people who might choose to stay home and watch a game rather than going out to support the kids and sports programs.

    I wondered when this was going to happen in the Midwest well it starts in 2017.

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @mjp28 said:

    Our local NBC TV station has a Friday night 15 minute high school football highlight and scores show, I'm shocked how empty many or sometimes most of the stands are!

    Where are the kids, parents and boosters? Some schools have even recently updated or even rebuilt their facilities and still whole sections are empty. Big deal? Yes it is in many ways.

    Now add 6 B1G games on Fridays with 12 teams and there are hundreds or better yet thousands of people who might choose to stay home and watch a game rather than going out to support the kids and sports programs.

    I wondered when this was going to happen in the Midwest well it starts in 2017.

    I just can't see OSU wanting to host or play on Friday. They will, just to be a good conference member I suppose.

    My perception could be totally wrong, but I always thought Ohio, Pennsylvania, & Texas were the most rabid high school football states.

  • @mjp28 said:

    Our local NBC TV station has a Friday night 15 minute high school football highlight and scores show, I'm shocked how empty many or sometimes most of the stands are!

    Where are the kids, parents and boosters? Some schools have even recently updated or even rebuilt their facilities and still whole sections are empty. Big deal? Yes it is in many ways.

    Now add 6 B1G games on Fridays with 12 teams and there are hundreds or better yet thousands of people who might choose to stay home and watch a game rather than going out to support the kids and sports programs.

    I wondered when this was going to happen in the Midwest well it starts in 2017.

    I just can't see OSU wanting to host or play on Friday. They will, just to be a good conference member I suppose.

    My perception could be totally wrong, but I always thought Ohio, Pennsylvania, & Texas were the most rabid high school football states.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #10

    @bob806 said:

    I just can't see OSU wanting to host or play on Friday. They will, just to be a good conference member I suppose.

    My perception could be totally wrong, but I always thought Ohio, Pennsylvania, & Texas were the most rabid high school football states.

    When ESPN years back really created the "non Saturday" NCAA football games on Thursday then Tuesday and now virtually seven days (looking at my Vegas Rotation sheet, TU, WED, TH, FRI, SAT this week). Well some teams jumped on it because they became THE exclusive game on TV and it worked! And their athletic departments collected a lot of money to upgrade their programs and it spread.

    Remember Boise State and VT early on? They had a great run early on but now everyone wants a piece of this pie and it's not really a big deal now.

    And yes PA, OH and TX are rabid high school states now along with FLA and CAL among others. So when will this NFL, NCAA, High School (yes they play play on national television too) get over saturated?

    It's really a shame in a way but it's here now.

  • The ole "I know you are but what am I?" Nice.

    I like the idea. Those games will get a few extra viewers every week than they would on Saturday.

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @wargograw said:

    The ole "I know you are but what am I?" Nice.

    I like the idea. Those games will get a few extra viewers every week than they would on Saturday.

    MAC and PAC schools could use this.

    OSU and Michigan are getting viewers regardless.

  • Bad idea. Friday nights are for high school football.

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @bob806 said:

    Bad idea. Friday nights are for high school football.

    I don't know what the high school football climate is like in Big 10 country, but it's as crazy here as anywhere, and a very small portion of football fans go to HS games.

  • @wargograw said:

    The ole "I know you are but what am I?" Nice.

    I like the idea. Those games will get a few extra viewers every week than they would on Saturday.

    MAC and PAC schools could use this.

    OSU and Michigan are getting viewers regardless.

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @mld-woody said:

    MAC and PAC schools could use this.

    OSU and Michigan are getting viewers regardless.

    Good thing there are other schools in the conference then. It's 6 games a year. These schools will get one every other year at most. Not exactly the end of the world.

  • @mld-woody said:

    MAC and PAC schools could use this.

    OSU and Michigan are getting viewers regardless.

    Good thing there are other schools in the conference then. It's 6 games a year. These schools will get one every other year at most. Not exactly the end of the world.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #14

    @wargograw said:

    Good thing there are other schools in the conference then. It's 6 games a year. These schools will get one every other year at most. Not exactly the end of the world.

    Yes maybe for now (depending on ratings) but it will add to an already creeping involvement of college into Friday nights.

    .....There were 53 games on that night in 2014, 63 in 2015 and 65 this year. The Big 12, Pac-12 and Atlantic Coast Conference are among the leagues that play some games on Fridays.....

    So the 65 becomes 71 and that's if there aren't more by other conferences or independents getting into Friday nights or current ones increasing the number of games.

    Four D-1A games this past *Friday *ACTUALLY THURSDAY alone including OKL/IOWA ST and UCLA/COL and all on TV. I could easily keep Friday's for high school. .....but I'm not pulling down the hundreds of thousands of dollars involved either. 😉

    *Friday there were three D-1A games including Boise State

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #15

    Both those games were on Thursday, which is the better day for this.

  • Both those games were on Thursday, which is the better day for this.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @wargograw said:

    Both those games were on Thursday, which is the better day for this.

    Yes you're correct I was on the wrong line.

    Tues 2, Wed 1, Thur 4, Fri 3 for 10 D-1A non Saturday games....I believe the NCAA Thursday games might be cutting into the Thursday NFL games a little bit, 5 last Thursday!

    Personally I don't like Thursday NFL games either it does water down the whole product. .....oh and don't miss the BROWNS vs Ravens Game this Thursday. 😕