Skip to content

I called it before the season started that some of you wouldn't make it halfway through before..

The Browns Board
79 21 1.9k
  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #42

    Yeah, it's tough to argue with you, but I can see us making some progress and being 6-10 next year. If you win 6 games, you probably lost a handful of others that were close, and it means the playoffs might be right around the corner. Of course, when you're 0-10, 6 wins seems like a total pipe dream, but I don't want people to forget he won 8 games in Oakland with marginal talent. I realize 8 games isn't the "be all, end all" of coaching achievements, but it's not bad considering what that team was working with.

    Nothing is going to matter until we get our defense shored up. The back end is utterly atrocious, and we all know our pass rush completely sucks too. We took steps to address that in the 2016 draft and trading for Collins, so hopefully in 2017 we reap the rewards. The back end will be infinitely more difficult, as rookies tend to have a very high learning curve, and shouldn't be counted on to kick ass right away. Veteran safeties and corners that are quality players, either don't leave or will command a shitload of money. Remember our safety Gipson? Yeah, he sucks btw. Like...big time in Jax. Justin Gilbert not working out basically destroyed us. We need SO MUCH secondary help, that it's not possible to fix in one offseason. Hope I'm wrong.

    Our biggest hope for a quicker turnaround is the play of Cody Kessler. If he can find his niche and pick up the pace scoring points (doesn't have to WIN, but does need to increase 3rd down and point totals), we can win 6 games or so MUCH faster than if he doesn't work out. I mean, think about it. If Cody ISN'T the guy...who in the natural HELL is going to suit up as QB? I went back and watched Cody's drives against the Ravens, and you know what? The kid hardly EVER had enough time to throw. So guess what happened? Cody got "happy feet" and bailed on the pocket before he really had to a few times, and THAT'S what probably pissed off Hue Jackson the most (only my opinion). I went back and saw a few times where Cody just bailed out and rolled right WAY before he had to, but it was really hard to blame him. Baltimore sent multiple blitzes from about every angle possible, and our genius OL wasn't always able to pick them up efficiently. We did have a few good plays too, one of them early when Vitale picked up a hard charging blitzer, and Cody found Coleman for a nice little gain of around 9 yards. Problem is, that was the exception, not the rule.

    Something else I noticed was the obvious attempt at looking down the field, but either we didn't have the time for the route to develop, or Cody went elsewhere with the ball. I also saw two pass interferences that weren't called...both on 3rd down. So if the defense is loading up against the pass, why can't we run it? Why can't we get 4-5 yards on some runs? How are the backs getting hit in the backfield so much? Why did we run like one quick slant? Why didn't we try some crossing patterns like Baltimore killed us with? Where was the creativity?

    We have a long ways to go, and maybe I'm wrong. Maybe we DO completely suck next year and we have another round of "hoping to win one game". But I don't think so. I'm giving Hue a lot of credit here, but I'm hoping he takes the painful lessons from the Ravens game, the Cowboys game, the Bengals and every other loss and applies the data towards finding solutions. Yeah, we look awful right now. We look like we don't have ANYTHING. Nothing on offense, next to nothing on defense, and a whole lot of crap in between. But right now it's about surviving. Keep the staff together, use our draft picks well, sign some free agents if possible, AND KEEP COLLINS AND PRYOR. I think we can get better, and I'd love nothing more than for us to close out the season on a strong note. Maybe not winning 3 in a row, but just playing better football. With all that said, here's what I can tell you with 100% certainty: If we don't figure out a way to run the ball and give our QB some time to throw, NOTHING will matter. The run sets up the entire ballgame, and it's the primary reason Cody isn't scoring more points.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #43

    ... and certainly your optimism is only outsized compared to my skepticism which restricts me to 4-ish wins in 2018 2017.

    OL: Getting Bito back certainly helps shore up the OL leaving only one widely accepted hole. Even on our existing roster there are two possible solutions that would allow his replacement with the thickest resume, Greco, to slide over permanently: Drango or Paz... with the latter requiring Shon Coleman to finally step up. Either of which still leaves Reiter as a fall back direct replacement.

    Front 7: A Garett (4-3 DE) or Allen (3-4) opposite an extended Collins appeals. Add a returning Des Bryant, Ogbah and Stample, and a developed Nassib?

    2ndary: A new safety to pair with the winner of a Poyer/Kindred/Campbell competition?

    And then it's on the QB... agree there are signs of Kess possibilities, but the unresolved shadow of RG3 lingers as well. That resolution should indicate how deep the belief in Kess is.

  • ... and certainly your optimism is only outsized compared to my skepticism which restricts me to 4-ish wins in 2018 2017.

    OL: Getting Bito back certainly helps shore up the OL leaving only one widely accepted hole. Even on our existing roster there are two possible solutions that would allow his replacement with the thickest resume, Greco, to slide over permanently: Drango or Paz... with the latter requiring Shon Coleman to finally step up. Either of which still leaves Reiter as a fall back direct replacement.

    Front 7: A Garett (4-3 DE) or Allen (3-4) opposite an extended Collins appeals. Add a returning Des Bryant, Ogbah and Stample, and a developed Nassib?

    2ndary: A new safety to pair with the winner of a Poyer/Kindred/Campbell competition?

    And then it's on the QB... agree there are signs of Kess possibilities, but the unresolved shadow of RG3 lingers as well. That resolution should indicate how deep the belief in Kess is.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #44

    @tour2ma said:

    OL: Getting Bito back certainly helps shore up the OL leaving only one widely accepted hole. Even on our existing roster there are two possible solutions that would allow his replacement with the thickest resume, Greco, to slide over permanently: Drango or Paz... with the latter requiring Shon Coleman to finally step up. Either of which still leaves Reiter as a fall back direct replacement.

    And then it's on the QB... agree there are signs of Kess possibilities, but the unresolved shadow of RG3 lingers as well. That resolution should indicate how deep the belief in Kess is.

    Yeah, why Hue keeps trotting Erving out there is a mystery.

    With the current state of our o-line Tour, should Hue decide to activate Griffin (and I'm hoping not) my over\under for another injury is one game.

  • @tour2ma said:

    OL: Getting Bito back certainly helps shore up the OL leaving only one widely accepted hole. Even on our existing roster there are two possible solutions that would allow his replacement with the thickest resume, Greco, to slide over permanently: Drango or Paz... with the latter requiring Shon Coleman to finally step up. Either of which still leaves Reiter as a fall back direct replacement.

    And then it's on the QB... agree there are signs of Kess possibilities, but the unresolved shadow of RG3 lingers as well. That resolution should indicate how deep the belief in Kess is.

    Yeah, why Hue keeps trotting Erving out there is a mystery.

    With the current state of our o-line Tour, should Hue decide to activate Griffin (and I'm hoping not) my over\under for another injury is one game.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @hoorta said:

    With the current state of our o-line Tour, should Hue decide to activate Griffin (and I'm hoping not) my over\under for another injury is one game.

    I have to believe that's in the plan, h. And I'll take the over... hell, he got two starts out the gate... why not again? 😉

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #46

    If RG III gets the clean bill of health, then you can bet your bottom dollar we'll see him before the end of the year. Why? Because we're 0-10 and you have to try EVERYTHING, right? We all know that RG III didn't look good against the Eagles, but we also know that several OTHER teams also struggled against their defense. I honestly didn't think they were that good, but they've put the stink on several teams that are much better than us, so I'm guessing the Eagles D is pretty stout. That begs the question...what does RG III look like against a bad defense? The biggest complaint I have regarding Kessler isn't the fact that he doesn't push the ball down the field, it's the fact that he's so damn slow. I watch other QB's in the NFL that have speed, and it's such a luxury to have a guy that can make something out of nothing when the pocket collapses. (BTW, I'd KILL to see Johnny Manziel play for Hue Jackson).

    Cody isn't a "bad athlete", far from it. Problem is, defenders are just too damn fast these days. Hell, Cody averaged like 30 points a game in basketball as a senior...the guy is an athlete, he's just "slow" by NFL standards. If you have the stomach for it, go back and watch some of Cody's performances. Watch for the open running lanes he has in front of him. I've seen signs when he could literally run for 15 yards and slide without being touched. Now, we all know we'd rather have a QB stand in the pocket and deliver the ball, but Cody has left some HUGE yards on the field.

    Anyways, back to RG III. I have exactly ZERO confidence in his ability to play QB in the NFL. Maybe I'm being rough on the guy, but I doubt it. I actually hope he DOES get another few starts because his injury was total crap. In fact, I've never seen one like it. How he could not get out of bounds without hurting himself is beyond me, but whatever. The only DOWN side of RG III starting is that it'd take away experience from Kessler. Right now, we want Cody to get as much experience as humanly possible, which makes taking him out of the game against Baltimore all the more befuddling. Why take him out in a close game? Isn't that the EXACT experience you want to see? Your young QB in a tight game where every snap matters? And I wouldn't have cared AS MUCH about the benching if Hue didn't double down after the game by saying he supported his own decision to bench Cody and play McCown, who promptly shit the bed with spectacular fashion.

    Cody is about to get the indoctrination to the Steelers "rivalry" this weekend (and when I say rivalry, I mean "perpetual ass kicking"). But that's GOOD. We need to throw the kid into the fire and see what happens. The Steelers are coming off a gut-wrenching loss to the powerful Cowboys. It's safe to say that we're going to be getting their best shot. If you have Antonio Brown or Leveon Bell on your fantasy team, you might want to celebrate early. They might combine for a billion points. I don't know about you guys, but I'm kind of interested to see how Cody responds to the benching. I believe it was the first time in his life that he's ever been taken out of a game for performance reasons. Think about that for a minute. We need everything in the cosmic universe to go our way in order to secure a victory...but you know what? Maybe it's time for just that to happen. Screw the Steelers.

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #47

    If we draft defense with the first pick next year it's hard for me to justify another front 7 pick. The exception being Peppers who could hybrid LB/safety. Otherwise defensively, good god we need secondary talent. I just can't justify Garrett or Allen over the secondary or for that matter if there's stud OL that are gonna go top 10 we need that. We have to start building up the O line and getting a RT that could take over for JT in a year or two would be my utmost preference. As bad as things are now, when JT leaves and shit is stil the same across the rest of the O line....omg our offense is going to be shit and we'll have to keep a 4 QB rotation. If after next year Ogbah and Nassib aren't showing much improvement than fine, they can play out their rookie contracts as depth and we can go get another front 4 guy.

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #48

    Maybe young Bosa will have matured his game by then and we'll be in the market for him......... 😛

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #49

    and if we draft Nick, there's a possibility we could entice Joey to sign here when his rookie deal is up with SD. Those two have wanted to play together forever.

  • If we draft defense with the first pick next year it's hard for me to justify another front 7 pick. The exception being Peppers who could hybrid LB/safety. Otherwise defensively, good god we need secondary talent. I just can't justify Garrett or Allen over the secondary or for that matter if there's stud OL that are gonna go top 10 we need that. We have to start building up the O line and getting a RT that could take over for JT in a year or two would be my utmost preference. As bad as things are now, when JT leaves and shit is stil the same across the rest of the O line....omg our offense is going to be shit and we'll have to keep a 4 QB rotation. If after next year Ogbah and Nassib aren't showing much improvement than fine, they can play out their rookie contracts as depth and we can go get another front 4 guy.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #50

    @clevfan4life said:

    If we draft defense with the first pick next year it's hard for me to justify another front 7 pick. The exception being Peppers who could hybrid LB/safety. Otherwise defensively, good god we need secondary talent. I just can't justify Garrett or Allen over the secondary or for that matter if there's stud OL that are gonna go top 10 we need that. We have to start building up the O line and getting a RT that could take over for JT in a year or two would be my utmost preference. As bad as things are now, when JT leaves and shit is stil the same across the rest of the O line....omg our offense is going to be shit and we'll have to keep a 4 QB rotation. If after next year Ogbah and Nassib aren't showing much improvement than fine, they can play out their rookie contracts as depth and we can go get another front 4 guy.

    If you don't see an elite DB, next best way to improve your secondary is pass rush.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    If we draft defense with the first pick next year it's hard for me to justify another front 7 pick. The exception being Peppers who could hybrid LB/safety. Otherwise defensively, good god we need secondary talent. I just can't justify Garrett or Allen over the secondary or for that matter if there's stud OL that are gonna go top 10 we need that. We have to start building up the O line and getting a RT that could take over for JT in a year or two would be my utmost preference. As bad as things are now, when JT leaves and shit is stil the same across the rest of the O line....omg our offense is going to be shit and we'll have to keep a 4 QB rotation. If after next year Ogbah and Nassib aren't showing much improvement than fine, they can play out their rookie contracts as depth and we can go get another front 4 guy.

    If you don't see an elite DB, next best way to improve your secondary is pass rush.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #51

    @tiamat63 said:

    If you don't see an elite DB, next best way to improve your secondary is pass rush.

    I know, there's just so many glaring needs. Tough to convince me OL isn't one of our most pressing needs with JT's retirement looming. I love defense i want the next joey B, but i can't condone overlooking those other positions. Especially since we have a budding receiver corp, man just get our QB some time and even Kessler will look good. If teams have to pass more to keep up with us than that helps our pass rush

  • ... and certainly your optimism is only outsized compared to my skepticism which restricts me to 4-ish wins in 2018 2017.

    OL: Getting Bito back certainly helps shore up the OL leaving only one widely accepted hole. Even on our existing roster there are two possible solutions that would allow his replacement with the thickest resume, Greco, to slide over permanently: Drango or Paz... with the latter requiring Shon Coleman to finally step up. Either of which still leaves Reiter as a fall back direct replacement.

    Front 7: A Garett (4-3 DE) or Allen (3-4) opposite an extended Collins appeals. Add a returning Des Bryant, Ogbah and Stample, and a developed Nassib?

    2ndary: A new safety to pair with the winner of a Poyer/Kindred/Campbell competition?

    And then it's on the QB... agree there are signs of Kess possibilities, but the unresolved shadow of RG3 lingers as well. That resolution should indicate how deep the belief in Kess is.

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @tour2ma said:

    ... and certainly your optimism is only outsized compared to my skepticism which restricts me to 4-ish wins in 2018.

    OL: Getting Bito back certainly helps shore up the OL leaving only one widely accepted hole. Even on our existing roster there are two possible solutions that would allow his replacement with the thickest resume, Greco, to slide over permanently: Drango or Paz... with the latter requiring Shon Coleman to finally step up. Either of which still leaves Reiter as a fall back direct replacement.

    Front 7: A Garett (4-3 DE) or Allen (3-4) opposite an extended Collins appeals. Add a returning Des Bryant, Ogbah and Stample, and a developed Nassib?

    2ndary: A new safety to pair with the winner of a Poyer/Kindred/Campbell competition?

    And then it's on the QB... agree there are signs of Kess possibilities, but the unresolved shadow of RG3 lingers as well. That resolution should indicate how deep the belief in Kess is.

    Please tell me you meant 2017.

  • Prophetic Cleve comes through again.

    Yeah you called it...you also predicted Pettine wasn't going anywhere, and that no way Trump would become president. So go ahead and use this rare opportunity to puff your chest out.(please no one turn this into a political discussion)

    I believe Hue can turn it around.

    Eventually.

    But so could have Eric Mangini turned it around. Eventually. Problem is that browns fans want a winner now. Been waiting way too long, and wanting a winner now is understandable.

    Coaches don't want to come here. The coaches that do know full well they are taking a risk, and have evaluated the risk/reward possibilities.

    The reward is of epic proportions. If they are "the one" that has finally succeeded in Cleveland, the one that brings back the once rich tradition this team once enjoyed, then that coach becomes a God in this rabid football town...and highly respected throughout the league.

    The risk is that if he fails, his head coaching opportunities go down the toilet...his future is relegated to some assistant or coordinator job.

    Kinda like how Cleveland ruins quarterbacks.

    If I'm not mistaken Romeo Crennel was the only fired browns coach to become a head coach elsewhere....but not immediately. He was a coordinator first and kind of fell into the position because he was already there.

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #53

    @stinkhole said:

    If I'm not mistaken Romeo Crennel was the only fired browns coach to become a head coach elsewhere....but not immediately. He was a coordinator first and kind of fell into the position because he was already there.

    Forrest Gregg & Marty Schottenheimer come to mind.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    If you don't see an elite DB, next best way to improve your secondary is pass rush.

    I know, there's just so many glaring needs. Tough to convince me OL isn't one of our most pressing needs with JT's retirement looming. I love defense i want the next joey B, but i can't condone overlooking those other positions. Especially since we have a budding receiver corp, man just get our QB some time and even Kessler will look good. If teams have to pass more to keep up with us than that helps our pass rush

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #54

    @clevfan4life said:

    I know, there's just so many glaring needs. Tough to convince me OL isn't one of our most pressing needs with JT's retirement looming. I love defense i want the next joey B, but i can't condone overlooking those other positions. Especially since we have a budding receiver corp, man just get our QB some time and even Kessler will look good. If teams have to pass more to keep up with us than that helps our pass rush

    Either way, Peppers isn't the player to help this secondary or front 7.

    And if your belief is winning shoot outs, more often then not that bites you in the ass.

    What we might do in free agency will affect our draft play. Like I've said (and Tour, apparently) taking a shot at Sheldon makes a lot of sense and immediately crosses a huge need off our board.

  • If we draft defense with the first pick next year it's hard for me to justify another front 7 pick. The exception being Peppers who could hybrid LB/safety. Otherwise defensively, good god we need secondary talent. I just can't justify Garrett or Allen over the secondary or for that matter if there's stud OL that are gonna go top 10 we need that. We have to start building up the O line and getting a RT that could take over for JT in a year or two would be my utmost preference. As bad as things are now, when JT leaves and shit is stil the same across the rest of the O line....omg our offense is going to be shit and we'll have to keep a 4 QB rotation. If after next year Ogbah and Nassib aren't showing much improvement than fine, they can play out their rookie contracts as depth and we can go get another front 4 guy.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #55

    Get your Bosa today! Collect them all!

    @clevfan4life said:

    If we draft defense with the first pick next year it's hard for me to justify another front 7 pick. The exception being Peppers who could hybrid LB/safety. Otherwise defensively, good god we need secondary talent. I just can't justify Garrett or Allen over the secondary...

    Sounds like a vote for trade-down.

    We've had the debate forever about QBs, but which are easier to find throughout the draft: stud edge men or stud Safeties? Throw CBs in the mix if you like.

    In our case both certainly rate high on the need scale. Any difference would stem from the "hoped for" improvement by current roster players.

  • @tour2ma said:

    ... and certainly your optimism is only outsized compared to my skepticism which restricts me to 4-ish wins in 2018.

    OL: Getting Bito back certainly helps shore up the OL leaving only one widely accepted hole. Even on our existing roster there are two possible solutions that would allow his replacement with the thickest resume, Greco, to slide over permanently: Drango or Paz... with the latter requiring Shon Coleman to finally step up. Either of which still leaves Reiter as a fall back direct replacement.

    Front 7: A Garett (4-3 DE) or Allen (3-4) opposite an extended Collins appeals. Add a returning Des Bryant, Ogbah and Stample, and a developed Nassib?

    2ndary: A new safety to pair with the winner of a Poyer/Kindred/Campbell competition?

    And then it's on the QB... agree there are signs of Kess possibilities, but the unresolved shadow of RG3 lingers as well. That resolution should indicate how deep the belief in Kess is.

    Please tell me you meant 2017.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #56

    @wargograw said:

    Please tell me you meant 2017.

    2017... you're welcome...

  • @clevfan4life said:

    I know, there's just so many glaring needs. Tough to convince me OL isn't one of our most pressing needs with JT's retirement looming. I love defense i want the next joey B, but i can't condone overlooking those other positions. Especially since we have a budding receiver corp, man just get our QB some time and even Kessler will look good. If teams have to pass more to keep up with us than that helps our pass rush

    Either way, Peppers isn't the player to help this secondary or front 7.

    And if your belief is winning shoot outs, more often then not that bites you in the ass.

    What we might do in free agency will affect our draft play. Like I've said (and Tour, apparently) taking a shot at Sheldon makes a lot of sense and immediately crosses a huge need off our board.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #57

    @tiamat63 said:

    What we might do in free agency will affect our draft play. Like I've said (and Tour, apparently) taking a shot at Sheldon makes a lot of sense and immediately crosses a huge need off our board.

    I was certainly surprised we were not in the reported trade conversations with the Jets for Richardson, so, yes, I'd expect us to be one of his FA suitors.

    Bryant-Shelton-Richardson would be a helluva base 3 fronting a 3-4. And on passing downs trot off Danny and bookend Des and Sheldon with Collins and a Player to be named/emerge/drafted? Wow...

    #Front2Back&InsideOut4ever

  • @tiamat63 said:

    What we might do in free agency will affect our draft play. Like I've said (and Tour, apparently) taking a shot at Sheldon makes a lot of sense and immediately crosses a huge need off our board.

    I was certainly surprised we were not in the reported trade conversations with the Jets for Richardson, so, yes, I'd expect us to be one of his FA suitors.

    Bryant-Shelton-Richardson would be a helluva base 3 fronting a 3-4. And on passing downs trot off Danny and bookend Des and Sheldon with Collins and a Player to be named/emerge/drafted? Wow...

    #Front2Back&InsideOut4ever

    jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #58

    @tour2ma said:

    I was certainly surprised we were not in the reported trade conversations with the Jets for Richardson, so, yes, I'd expect us to be one of his FA suitors.

    Bryant-Shelton-Richardson would be a helluva base 3 fronting a 3-4. And on passing downs trot off Danny and bookend Des and Sheldon with Collins and a Player to be named/emerge/drafted? Wow...

    #Front2Back&InsideOut4ever

    Yeah, I agree. I think we're going to TRY to make SOME kind of big splash, I really do.

  • @tour2ma said:

    I was certainly surprised we were not in the reported trade conversations with the Jets for Richardson, so, yes, I'd expect us to be one of his FA suitors.

    Bryant-Shelton-Richardson would be a helluva base 3 fronting a 3-4. And on passing downs trot off Danny and bookend Des and Sheldon with Collins and a Player to be named/emerge/drafted? Wow...

    #Front2Back&InsideOut4ever

    Yeah, I agree. I think we're going to TRY to make SOME kind of big splash, I really do.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #59

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Yeah, I agree. I think we're going to TRY to make SOME kind of big splash, I really do.

    What makes you think that? Because I am fully expecting us to go after tier 2/3 guys to supplement our home-grown talent. Maybe I'm wrong, and the Jamie Collins acquisition is a sign of things to come, but I saw it more as a shot in the arm of veteran leadership and quality that the D was sorely missing.

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #60

    What makes me think that is our front office keeps talking about "a plan". Surely the plan could involve building through the draft and inserting mid-tier veterans through free agency, but I just have a hunch we'll be going after somebody. I don't have anything to support this crazy theory, but I could see it happening...ESPECIALLY if we aren't able to keep Collins. If we are somehow able to sign Collins, then I don't think we'll sign a big name. Sashi didn't really comment on the contract situation of Collins, which made me sad. I sure was hoping to hear, "We're going to do everything we can to keep him here for a long time, and we don't care how much money it takes." LOL

    I think we'll go after safety/corner back HARD in free agency.

  • @stinkhole said:

    If I'm not mistaken Romeo Crennel was the only fired browns coach to become a head coach elsewhere....but not immediately. He was a coordinator first and kind of fell into the position because he was already there.

    Forrest Gregg & Marty Schottenheimer come to mind.

    flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #61

    @canton-dawg said:

    Forrest Gregg & Marty Schottenheimer come to mind.

    Good ole Forrest. I've often thought that we could use a hard nosed sob like him to get the culture changed.