Skip to content

New Music...

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
37 12 3.7k
  • Idk how big you are on instrumental rock, Tour, but this band Earthless has been blowing me away with their craftsmanship. The guitarist is very Hendrix-like, IMO:

    @jbluhm86 said:

    Idk how big you are on instrumental rock, Tour, but this band Earthless has been blowing me away with their craftsmanship. The guitarist is very Hendrix-like, IMO:

    Interesting... opening struck me as reminiscent of Pink Floyd's The Division Bell.

    Nothing wrong with instrumentals in any genre and they dominate many... Burton/Correa's collaboration Crystal Silence is a personal Jazz fav.

  • I picked up the latest releases from Animals as Leaders, Tribe Called Quest, and Red Fang. Animals as Leaders is a Jazz metal instrumental group who are supremely talented, even though their work isn't the most accessible. Red Fang is a stoner rock group that has a great sound, although their latest release is good, but not as good as some of their earlier work imo. Tribe Called Quest knocked it out of the park with their latest offering, merging hip hop with blues, jazz and soul, even enlisting the help of Elton John and Jack White. their subject matter is far deeper than the vapid "money hoes and cars" that seems inescapable in mainstream rap.

    I rarely come to any of these non-browns forums so when I do, it's to leave comments on threads that have been dead for weeks.

  • I picked up the latest releases from Animals as Leaders, Tribe Called Quest, and Red Fang. Animals as Leaders is a Jazz metal instrumental group who are supremely talented, even though their work isn't the most accessible. Red Fang is a stoner rock group that has a great sound, although their latest release is good, but not as good as some of their earlier work imo. Tribe Called Quest knocked it out of the park with their latest offering, merging hip hop with blues, jazz and soul, even enlisting the help of Elton John and Jack White. their subject matter is far deeper than the vapid "money hoes and cars" that seems inescapable in mainstream rap.

    I rarely come to any of these non-browns forums so when I do, it's to leave comments on threads that have been dead for weeks.

    @roycerolls said:

    I picked up the latest releases from Animals as Leaders, Tribe Called Quest, and Red Fang. Animals as Leaders is a Jazz metal instrumental group who are supremely talented, even though their work isn't the most accessible. Red Fang is a stoner rock group that has a great sound, although their latest release is good, but not as good as some of their earlier work imo. Tribe Called Quest knocked it out of the park with their latest offering, merging hip hop with blues, jazz and soul, even enlisting the help of Elton John and Jack White. their subject matter is far deeper than the vapid "money hoes and cars" that seems inescapable in mainstream rap.

    I rarely come to any of these non-browns forums so when I do, it's to leave comments on threads that have been dead for weeks.

    lol... and now your work is finished... almost...

    The new Tribe... does sound interesting. Caught them on SNL a couple weeks ago... interesting stuff.

    On your accessibility scale which side of The Mahavishnu Orchestra does Animals as Leaders fall?

  • Animals as Leaders is a 3 piece that's considerably heavier and less atmospheric than the Mahavishnu Orchestra and also less accessible, it's pretty Mathy. A modern band that, to my ear, stands as the middle ground between Mahavishnu and Animals is Trioscapes; another 3 piece consisting of bass, sax and drums.

  • Animals as Leaders is a 3 piece that's considerably heavier and less atmospheric than the Mahavishnu Orchestra and also less accessible, it's pretty Mathy. A modern band that, to my ear, stands as the middle ground between Mahavishnu and Animals is Trioscapes; another 3 piece consisting of bass, sax and drums.

    @roycerolls said:

    Animals as Leaders is a 3 piece that's considerably heavier and less atmospheric than the Mahavishnu Orchestra and also less accessible, it's pretty Mathy. A modern band that, to my ear, stands as the middle ground between Mahavishnu and Animals is Trioscapes; another 3 piece consisting of bass, sax and drums.

    Tosin Abasi is a fuckin' madman on the guitar:

  • Another good band in a similar vein to AaL is Scale the Summit:

  • Would love some recommendations for Christmas stocking stuffers...

    I don't have a lot to offer and most comes from ACL, SNL or Colbert, but here are a couple..

    Trombone Shorty - Say That to Say This

    Caught him on ACL... very engaging. This LP is more R&B than NOLA jazz, but very solid with only a couple near misses.

    St. Paul & The Broken Bones - Sea of Noise

    A Colbert contribution... the guy puts on some strong Indie talent. More R&B fronted by the geekiest, roundest white boy you could ever imagine... but Lord can he sing. Got to know this one well on my Florida road trip a couple months ago.

    Twenty One Pilots - Blurryface

    Have to start with a disclaimer here: I don't own this one... yet. It's atop my Amazon Wish List.

    Caught this power duo, drums and electric bass/piano, on SNL. Did a funk/rap tune that I loved and followed it up with a reggae-dusted ballad that I loved even more. Both tunes were backed by an eight-piece string section.

    As original, fresh, inventive and good as any new-to-me music I've heard in a very long time.

    So whacha got?

    @tour2ma said:

    Twenty One Pilots - Blurryface

    Got it for Christmas and it's very good... just not as good as I hoped.

    The two SNL tracks that drew me to them are here and lead the way. While a couple other tracks approach the SNL two's level, none quite achieve it and others don't come all that close. The reggae influence is present in more tracks than I was expecting. Its use give a feeling of "sameness" to some tracks... not a bad thing... just a bit impact diminishing. A couple other tracks were simply "pop-ish" and seemed more out of place approaching filler material.

    I was very impressed with the SQ of the CD. Everything was clear, clean and well placed in the sound field. Even the most rapid rap riffs were understandable to even my old, non-rap tuned ears.

    @tour2ma said:

    Tedeschi-Truck band is on my wish-list. Does that count?

    And I got their Let Me Get By release as well... the 2-CD Deluxe release. I like this a lot with one issue... on tracks where the full band is in play all the back up instruments and sometimes the backing vocalists, about 8 folks in all, all fall into a mash up of sound. The lead guitar and vocals soar above the mire, but the mire smushes everything else together.

    It's weird cause otherwise the SQ is damn good. Stripped down tunes are beautifully captured... though admittedly some of that impression may be "by contrast". Dunno... never have come across this issue in the digital age...

  • Star gift of the season was far and away the 2-CD, Original Broadway Cast recording of Hamilton.

    I'm on my second listening and am picking up nuanced bits I missed on first hearing, but then the first was on the drive home from Alabama.

  • Joe the plumber was here today, they said it 25 year old kid seem like a nice guy said he was a musician. Now he's Plumbing but I asked him what kind of stuff he like and he told me one being that he really loves his happy body slow mind. So I check them out on Google Play Music through the Google home and it's pretty Pleasant stuff.

    WSS

  • Found some.... in an old (2016) ACL episode...

    Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters... CD is now on order.

    See if this doesn't grab you... apparently the tune is from Appalachia in the 1920s... and was first recorded in 1928.

  • still got mad pipes but the longhair is gone.Both State of my head & Cut the Cord. Great new releases also

  • I preferred the "New Edition" edition of Kenny...

  • Ron Gallo I just came across his music a few weeks ago,Rock Is Not Dead

  • The Inglorious dude looks like Val Kilmer...