Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Barber Shop Talk
  3. Bad fuel?

Bad fuel?

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Barber Shop Talk
75 Posts 7 Posters 5.7k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • bbedward bbedwardB Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
    • 9k Posts
    • 1k Reputation
    bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Idk wtf happened today but I was planning on going out of town today after work for the weekend so I stopped to fill up my gas tank.

    I was already about 1/2 full, but filled up in anticipation of the road trip.

    Once I got back in the car the sonofabitch wouldn't start. Mine is push to start so it basically felt like it cranked once and then didn't do anything. Holding down the button gets it to crank and it eventually started but stalled immediately after running pretty rough.

    Then still cranked strong but nothing.

    Idk what it is as a semi mechanic myself (fuel pump still hums, seems to be pressure).

    Is it possible to get bad gas in 2016? I'm having it towed to the German car shop tomorrow but I doubt they'll be able to check it out until Monday.

    gumby73G 1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • One Post One PostO
      • 4k Posts
      • 284 Reputation
      One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
      #2

      Is your engine light on? Is it blinking or stay lite?

      Sounds like your fuel pump. Ya if it's humming that doesn't mean it's not going out. Is it flooding out? If not yep it's the fuel pump.

      https://www.facebook.com/Mike-Black-Sunday-Stories-1780988822148720/?ref=bookmarks
      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • One Post One PostO
        • 4k Posts
        • 284 Reputation
        One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
        #3

        Bad enough if it's the fuel pump but they have to drop that tank and it's full. Lol. What make and model and year?

        https://www.facebook.com/Mike-Black-Sunday-Stories-1780988822148720/?ref=bookmarks
        bbedwardB 1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • bbedwardB bbedward

          Idk wtf happened today but I was planning on going out of town today after work for the weekend so I stopped to fill up my gas tank.

          I was already about 1/2 full, but filled up in anticipation of the road trip.

          Once I got back in the car the sonofabitch wouldn't start. Mine is push to start so it basically felt like it cranked once and then didn't do anything. Holding down the button gets it to crank and it eventually started but stalled immediately after running pretty rough.

          Then still cranked strong but nothing.

          Idk what it is as a semi mechanic myself (fuel pump still hums, seems to be pressure).

          Is it possible to get bad gas in 2016? I'm having it towed to the German car shop tomorrow but I doubt they'll be able to check it out until Monday.

          gumby73 gumby73G Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
          • 11k Posts
          • 4k Reputation
          gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
          #4

          @bbedward said:

          Idk wtf happened today but I was planning on going out of town today after work for the weekend so I stopped to fill up my gas tank.

          I was already about 1/2 full, but filled up in anticipation of the road trip. GAS IS GOOD,UNLESS WAS BONE DRY,than you could ? octane

          Once I got back in the car the sonofabitch wouldn't start. Mine is push to start so it basically felt like it cranked once and then didn't do anything. Holding down the button gets it to crank and it eventually started but stalled immediately after running pretty rough.

          Then still cranked strong but nothing.

          Idk what it is as a semi mechanic myself (fuel pump still hums, seems to be pressure). (Mechanic has GAUGE TO UNSCREW CAP to CHECK PRESSURE from UNDER HOOD)

          Is it possible to get bad gas in 2016? I'm having it towed to the German car shop tomorrow but I doubt they'll be able to check it out until Monday.

          Could be as simple as a vacuum hose leak or grit in fuel filter but worst could be ignition coils(3 small black boxes screwed to ignition plate) or possible EGR valve which mixes air & gas if its got one, Hope for hose or grit in fuel filter, but you got it at the right place. EGR or Coils run about the same $$ but (hose or filter runs less) with proper checks mechanic will eliminate trail & error expense..good luck

          Browns & Buffett: Got to go fishin, Down to rock bottom again, with just a few Friends Team Brotherhood-"It's not about You,Me or I. It's about building We"..Hue Jackson
          One PostO 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • One PostO One Post

            Bad enough if it's the fuel pump but they have to drop that tank and it's full. Lol. What make and model and year?

            bbedward bbedwardB Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
            • 9k Posts
            • 1k Reputation
            bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
            #5

            "One said:

            Bad enough if it's the fuel pump but they have to drop that tank and it's full. Lol. What make and model and year?

            2012 VW Jetta GLI

            Don't have to drop the tank for the fuel pump, there's an access hole under the rear seat.

            One PostO DieHardBrownsFanD 2 Replies Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • bbedwardB bbedward

              "One said:

              Bad enough if it's the fuel pump but they have to drop that tank and it's full. Lol. What make and model and year?

              2012 VW Jetta GLI

              Don't have to drop the tank for the fuel pump, there's an access hole under the rear seat.

              One Post One PostO
              • 4k Posts
              • 284 Reputation
              One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
              #6

              @bbedward said:

              2012 VW Jetta GLI

              Don't have to drop the tank for the fuel pump, there's an access hole under the rear seat.

              Lol. Ok. Ya it could be a vacuum like Gumby says but that usually happens when you mess with the fuel lines unlike your case. My guess from not seeing it is it's your fuel pump. Gives no warning it just goes out. Have you messed with the fues box lately just wondering.
              https://www.facebook.com/Mike-Black-Sunday-Stories-1780988822148720/?ref=bookmarks
              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • gumby73G gumby73

                @bbedward said:

                Idk wtf happened today but I was planning on going out of town today after work for the weekend so I stopped to fill up my gas tank.

                I was already about 1/2 full, but filled up in anticipation of the road trip. GAS IS GOOD,UNLESS WAS BONE DRY,than you could ? octane

                Once I got back in the car the sonofabitch wouldn't start. Mine is push to start so it basically felt like it cranked once and then didn't do anything. Holding down the button gets it to crank and it eventually started but stalled immediately after running pretty rough.

                Then still cranked strong but nothing.

                Idk what it is as a semi mechanic myself (fuel pump still hums, seems to be pressure). (Mechanic has GAUGE TO UNSCREW CAP to CHECK PRESSURE from UNDER HOOD)

                Is it possible to get bad gas in 2016? I'm having it towed to the German car shop tomorrow but I doubt they'll be able to check it out until Monday.

                Could be as simple as a vacuum hose leak or grit in fuel filter but worst could be ignition coils(3 small black boxes screwed to ignition plate) or possible EGR valve which mixes air & gas if its got one, Hope for hose or grit in fuel filter, but you got it at the right place. EGR or Coils run about the same $$ but (hose or filter runs less) with proper checks mechanic will eliminate trail & error expense..good luck

                One Post One PostO
                • 4k Posts
                • 284 Reputation
                One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
                #7

                @gumby73 said:

                Could be as simple as a vacuum hose leak or grit in fuel filter but worst could be ignition coils(3 small black boxes screwed to ignition plate) or possible EGR valve which mixes air & gas if its got one, Hope for hose or grit in fuel filter, but you got it at the right place. EGR or Coils run about the same $$ but (hose or filter runs less) with proper checks mechanic will eliminate trail & error expense..good luck

                Things are different now Gumby. Now they just plug a box in and it tells you what's wrong. Not like the olden days of guessing and listening Lol.
                https://www.facebook.com/Mike-Black-Sunday-Stories-1780988822148720/?ref=bookmarks
                gumby73G 1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • One Post One PostO
                  • 4k Posts
                  • 284 Reputation
                  One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by One Post
                  #8

                  Bbedward. Hey it could be a number of things. Ya take it to the shop. Us dumbasses not even looking at your car are only guessing. It could be anything even a fuel throttle gasket? Just remember fuel, air and fire. No matter that's always the basics.

                  https://www.facebook.com/Mike-Black-Sunday-Stories-1780988822148720/?ref=bookmarks
                  bbedwardB 1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • One PostO One Post

                    Bbedward. Hey it could be a number of things. Ya take it to the shop. Us dumbasses not even looking at your car are only guessing. It could be anything even a fuel throttle gasket? Just remember fuel, air and fire. No matter that's always the basics.

                    bbedward bbedwardB Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                    • 9k Posts
                    • 1k Reputation
                    bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    "One said:

                    Bbedward. Hey it could be a number of things. Ya take it to the shop. Us dumbasses not even looking at your car are only guessing. It could be anything even a fuel throttle gasket? Just remember fuel, air and fire. No matter that's always the basics.

                    It's at the fancy German auto shop now

                    I'm an uncertified mechanic but idk it happened right after I got gas. There's a million and one sensors on that thing for emissions/evap and everything else.

                    One PostO 1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • bbedwardB bbedward

                      "One said:

                      Bbedward. Hey it could be a number of things. Ya take it to the shop. Us dumbasses not even looking at your car are only guessing. It could be anything even a fuel throttle gasket? Just remember fuel, air and fire. No matter that's always the basics.

                      It's at the fancy German auto shop now

                      I'm an uncertified mechanic but idk it happened right after I got gas. There's a million and one sensors on that thing for emissions/evap and everything else.

                      One Post One PostO
                      • 4k Posts
                      • 284 Reputation
                      One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      @bbedward said:

                      It's at the fancy German auto shop now

                      I'm an uncertified mechanic but idk it happened right after I got gas. There's a million and one sensors on that thing for emissions/evap and everything else.

                      Keep us posted I'm curious. Anyone else on here I probably wouldn't care.
                      https://www.facebook.com/Mike-Black-Sunday-Stories-1780988822148720/?ref=bookmarks
                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • One Post One PostO
                        • 4k Posts
                        • 284 Reputation
                        One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        It just might be bad fuel.

                        https://www.facebook.com/Mike-Black-Sunday-Stories-1780988822148720/?ref=bookmarks
                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • bbedward bbedwardB Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                          • 9k Posts
                          • 1k Reputation
                          bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          It's at local German car specialist shop, won't have a diagnosis til Monday. Guess I'll be taking the bus to work

                          One PostO 1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • bbedwardB bbedward

                            It's at local German car specialist shop, won't have a diagnosis til Monday. Guess I'll be taking the bus to work

                            One Post One PostO
                            • 4k Posts
                            • 284 Reputation
                            One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            @bbedward said:

                            It's at local German car specialist shop, won't have a diagnosis til Monday. Guess I'll be taking the bus to work

                            You need a beater for these very reasons. I've got one it's a 2002 Mazda. It needs jump started when I fire it up but it has been helpful sometimes.
                            https://www.facebook.com/Mike-Black-Sunday-Stories-1780988822148720/?ref=bookmarks
                            bbedwardB 1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • One PostO One Post

                              @bbedward said:

                              It's at local German car specialist shop, won't have a diagnosis til Monday. Guess I'll be taking the bus to work

                              You need a beater for these very reasons. I've got one it's a 2002 Mazda. It needs jump started when I fire it up but it has been helpful sometimes.
                              bbedward bbedwardB Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                              • 9k Posts
                              • 1k Reputation
                              bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              "One said:

                              You need a beater for these very reasons. I've got one it's a 2002 Mazda. It needs jump started when I fire it up but it has been helpful sometimes.

                              I had a crappy 93 ranger a year ago I should have kept.

                              Total clunker, insanely heavy clutch, 200+k miles. But that thing never had any mechanical issue ever. Ended up selling it and it's been converted into a tailgate vehicle.

                              Pics related:

                              IMG_20150926_145301.jpg

                              IMG_20150926_143932.jpg

                              IMG_20150926_135100.jpg

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • One Post One PostO
                                • 4k Posts
                                • 284 Reputation
                                One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                Lol. Cool man very cool.

                                I bought a 2004 1200 sportster and going to put a hard tail kit in it. Paint the frame orange and the tank and fenders Brown. It should be a good look. I'm starting it next spring.

                                https://www.facebook.com/Mike-Black-Sunday-Stories-1780988822148720/?ref=bookmarks
                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • bbedward bbedwardB Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                  • 9k Posts
                                  • 1k Reputation
                                  bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by bbedward
                                  #16

                                  If it's a fuel pump I'll probably just tow it home again honestly and diy it.

                                  Volkswagen doesn't play no games it's basically a 20 minute job with only screw drivers but I know the shop would ding me for something like $500 probably

                                  One PostO 1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • bbedwardB bbedward

                                    If it's a fuel pump I'll probably just tow it home again honestly and diy it.

                                    Volkswagen doesn't play no games it's basically a 20 minute job with only screw drivers but I know the shop would ding me for something like $500 probably

                                    One Post One PostO
                                    • 4k Posts
                                    • 284 Reputation
                                    One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    @bbedward said:

                                    If it's a fuel pump I'll probably just tow it home again honestly and diy it.

                                    Volkswagen doesn't play no games it's basically a 20 minute job with only screw drivers but I know the shop would ding me for something like $500 probably

                                    Ya but the bad thing about a fuel pump once you submerse it in you can't get a refund. Let's say that's what you thought it was, turns out it wasn't; no getting your money back. Or you just get a bad one; no getting your money back.
                                    https://www.facebook.com/Mike-Black-Sunday-Stories-1780988822148720/?ref=bookmarks
                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • mjp28 mjp28M In Memoriam Dedicated Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                                      • 18k Posts
                                      • 4k Reputation
                                      mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
                                      #18

                                      Car running half tank, top off tank, won't run.....I'd guess bad gas first.

                                      Did you check with station for other bad gas complaints? Especially before they correct the problem -and- they might be liable for your expenses.

                                      .....where's The Gipper when you need him? He'd know that for sure!

                                      GO BUCKEYES, BROWNS, INDIANS, CAVS, YSU, NAVY and yes I like ND!
                                      bbedwardB 1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
                                        • 64k Posts
                                        • 8k Reputation
                                        C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
                                        #19

                                        Could be so many things- good luck with that. Dirty fuel injectors? Water in the gas via condensation in the tanks?

                                        gas engine - you put diesel fuel in it? (haha, nobody would...no wait, I actually DID do that when I was in the service,

                                        on a weekend trip...)

                                        One PostO 1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • C calfoxwc

                                          Could be so many things- good luck with that. Dirty fuel injectors? Water in the gas via condensation in the tanks?

                                          gas engine - you put diesel fuel in it? (haha, nobody would...no wait, I actually DID do that when I was in the service,

                                          on a weekend trip...)

                                          One Post One PostO
                                          • 4k Posts
                                          • 284 Reputation
                                          One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          @calfoxwc said:

                                          Could be so many things- good luck with that. Dirty fuel injectors? Water in the gas via condensation in the tanks?

                                          gas engine - you put diesel fuel in it? (haha, nobody would...no wait, I actually DID do that when I was in the service,

                                          on a weekend trip...)

                                          I've done it too. I got down the road about a mile and that's all she went. It was in Iowa and I had to stay in a motel/tattoo parlor. Met a dude named Knuckles and he was very cool.
                                          https://www.facebook.com/Mike-Black-Sunday-Stories-1780988822148720/?ref=bookmarks
                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate