Skip to content

Bad fuel?

Barber Shop Talk
75 7 5.7k
  • Idk wtf happened today but I was planning on going out of town today after work for the weekend so I stopped to fill up my gas tank.

    I was already about 1/2 full, but filled up in anticipation of the road trip.

    Once I got back in the car the sonofabitch wouldn't start. Mine is push to start so it basically felt like it cranked once and then didn't do anything. Holding down the button gets it to crank and it eventually started but stalled immediately after running pretty rough.

    Then still cranked strong but nothing.

    Idk what it is as a semi mechanic myself (fuel pump still hums, seems to be pressure).

    Is it possible to get bad gas in 2016? I'm having it towed to the German car shop tomorrow but I doubt they'll be able to check it out until Monday.

    @bbedward said:

    Idk wtf happened today but I was planning on going out of town today after work for the weekend so I stopped to fill up my gas tank.

    I was already about 1/2 full, but filled up in anticipation of the road trip. GAS IS GOOD,UNLESS WAS BONE DRY,than you could ? octane

    Once I got back in the car the sonofabitch wouldn't start. Mine is push to start so it basically felt like it cranked once and then didn't do anything. Holding down the button gets it to crank and it eventually started but stalled immediately after running pretty rough.

    Then still cranked strong but nothing.

    Idk what it is as a semi mechanic myself (fuel pump still hums, seems to be pressure). (Mechanic has GAUGE TO UNSCREW CAP to CHECK PRESSURE from UNDER HOOD)

    Is it possible to get bad gas in 2016? I'm having it towed to the German car shop tomorrow but I doubt they'll be able to check it out until Monday.

    Could be as simple as a vacuum hose leak or grit in fuel filter but worst could be ignition coils(3 small black boxes screwed to ignition plate) or possible EGR valve which mixes air & gas if its got one, Hope for hose or grit in fuel filter, but you got it at the right place. EGR or Coils run about the same $$ but (hose or filter runs less) with proper checks mechanic will eliminate trail & error expense..good luck

  • Bad enough if it's the fuel pump but they have to drop that tank and it's full. Lol. What make and model and year?

    "One said:

    Bad enough if it's the fuel pump but they have to drop that tank and it's full. Lol. What make and model and year?

    2012 VW Jetta GLI

    Don't have to drop the tank for the fuel pump, there's an access hole under the rear seat.

  • "One said:

    Bad enough if it's the fuel pump but they have to drop that tank and it's full. Lol. What make and model and year?

    2012 VW Jetta GLI

    Don't have to drop the tank for the fuel pump, there's an access hole under the rear seat.

    @bbedward said:

    2012 VW Jetta GLI

    Don't have to drop the tank for the fuel pump, there's an access hole under the rear seat.

    Lol. Ok. Ya it could be a vacuum like Gumby says but that usually happens when you mess with the fuel lines unlike your case. My guess from not seeing it is it's your fuel pump. Gives no warning it just goes out. Have you messed with the fues box lately just wondering.
  • @bbedward said:

    Idk wtf happened today but I was planning on going out of town today after work for the weekend so I stopped to fill up my gas tank.

    I was already about 1/2 full, but filled up in anticipation of the road trip. GAS IS GOOD,UNLESS WAS BONE DRY,than you could ? octane

    Once I got back in the car the sonofabitch wouldn't start. Mine is push to start so it basically felt like it cranked once and then didn't do anything. Holding down the button gets it to crank and it eventually started but stalled immediately after running pretty rough.

    Then still cranked strong but nothing.

    Idk what it is as a semi mechanic myself (fuel pump still hums, seems to be pressure). (Mechanic has GAUGE TO UNSCREW CAP to CHECK PRESSURE from UNDER HOOD)

    Is it possible to get bad gas in 2016? I'm having it towed to the German car shop tomorrow but I doubt they'll be able to check it out until Monday.

    Could be as simple as a vacuum hose leak or grit in fuel filter but worst could be ignition coils(3 small black boxes screwed to ignition plate) or possible EGR valve which mixes air & gas if its got one, Hope for hose or grit in fuel filter, but you got it at the right place. EGR or Coils run about the same $$ but (hose or filter runs less) with proper checks mechanic will eliminate trail & error expense..good luck

    @gumby73 said:

    Could be as simple as a vacuum hose leak or grit in fuel filter but worst could be ignition coils(3 small black boxes screwed to ignition plate) or possible EGR valve which mixes air & gas if its got one, Hope for hose or grit in fuel filter, but you got it at the right place. EGR or Coils run about the same $$ but (hose or filter runs less) with proper checks mechanic will eliminate trail & error expense..good luck

    Things are different now Gumby. Now they just plug a box in and it tells you what's wrong. Not like the olden days of guessing and listening Lol.
  • Bbedward. Hey it could be a number of things. Ya take it to the shop. Us dumbasses not even looking at your car are only guessing. It could be anything even a fuel throttle gasket? Just remember fuel, air and fire. No matter that's always the basics.

  • Bbedward. Hey it could be a number of things. Ya take it to the shop. Us dumbasses not even looking at your car are only guessing. It could be anything even a fuel throttle gasket? Just remember fuel, air and fire. No matter that's always the basics.

    "One said:

    Bbedward. Hey it could be a number of things. Ya take it to the shop. Us dumbasses not even looking at your car are only guessing. It could be anything even a fuel throttle gasket? Just remember fuel, air and fire. No matter that's always the basics.

    It's at the fancy German auto shop now

    I'm an uncertified mechanic but idk it happened right after I got gas. There's a million and one sensors on that thing for emissions/evap and everything else.

  • "One said:

    Bbedward. Hey it could be a number of things. Ya take it to the shop. Us dumbasses not even looking at your car are only guessing. It could be anything even a fuel throttle gasket? Just remember fuel, air and fire. No matter that's always the basics.

    It's at the fancy German auto shop now

    I'm an uncertified mechanic but idk it happened right after I got gas. There's a million and one sensors on that thing for emissions/evap and everything else.

    @bbedward said:

    It's at the fancy German auto shop now

    I'm an uncertified mechanic but idk it happened right after I got gas. There's a million and one sensors on that thing for emissions/evap and everything else.

    Keep us posted I'm curious. Anyone else on here I probably wouldn't care.
  • It just might be bad fuel.

  • It's at local German car specialist shop, won't have a diagnosis til Monday. Guess I'll be taking the bus to work

  • It's at local German car specialist shop, won't have a diagnosis til Monday. Guess I'll be taking the bus to work

    @bbedward said:

    It's at local German car specialist shop, won't have a diagnosis til Monday. Guess I'll be taking the bus to work

    You need a beater for these very reasons. I've got one it's a 2002 Mazda. It needs jump started when I fire it up but it has been helpful sometimes.
  • @bbedward said:

    It's at local German car specialist shop, won't have a diagnosis til Monday. Guess I'll be taking the bus to work

    You need a beater for these very reasons. I've got one it's a 2002 Mazda. It needs jump started when I fire it up but it has been helpful sometimes.

    "One said:

    You need a beater for these very reasons. I've got one it's a 2002 Mazda. It needs jump started when I fire it up but it has been helpful sometimes.

    I had a crappy 93 ranger a year ago I should have kept.

    Total clunker, insanely heavy clutch, 200+k miles. But that thing never had any mechanical issue ever. Ended up selling it and it's been converted into a tailgate vehicle.

    Pics related:

    IMG_20150926_145301.jpg

    IMG_20150926_143932.jpg

    IMG_20150926_135100.jpg

  • Lol. Cool man very cool.

    I bought a 2004 1200 sportster and going to put a hard tail kit in it. Paint the frame orange and the tank and fenders Brown. It should be a good look. I'm starting it next spring.

  • If it's a fuel pump I'll probably just tow it home again honestly and diy it.

    Volkswagen doesn't play no games it's basically a 20 minute job with only screw drivers but I know the shop would ding me for something like $500 probably

  • If it's a fuel pump I'll probably just tow it home again honestly and diy it.

    Volkswagen doesn't play no games it's basically a 20 minute job with only screw drivers but I know the shop would ding me for something like $500 probably

    @bbedward said:

    If it's a fuel pump I'll probably just tow it home again honestly and diy it.

    Volkswagen doesn't play no games it's basically a 20 minute job with only screw drivers but I know the shop would ding me for something like $500 probably

    Ya but the bad thing about a fuel pump once you submerse it in you can't get a refund. Let's say that's what you thought it was, turns out it wasn't; no getting your money back. Or you just get a bad one; no getting your money back.
  • Car running half tank, top off tank, won't run.....I'd guess bad gas first.

    Did you check with station for other bad gas complaints? Especially before they correct the problem -and- they might be liable for your expenses.

    .....where's The Gipper when you need him? He'd know that for sure!

  • Could be so many things- good luck with that. Dirty fuel injectors? Water in the gas via condensation in the tanks?

    gas engine - you put diesel fuel in it? (haha, nobody would...no wait, I actually DID do that when I was in the service,

    on a weekend trip...)

  • Could be so many things- good luck with that. Dirty fuel injectors? Water in the gas via condensation in the tanks?

    gas engine - you put diesel fuel in it? (haha, nobody would...no wait, I actually DID do that when I was in the service,

    on a weekend trip...)

    @calfoxwc said:

    Could be so many things- good luck with that. Dirty fuel injectors? Water in the gas via condensation in the tanks?

    gas engine - you put diesel fuel in it? (haha, nobody would...no wait, I actually DID do that when I was in the service,

    on a weekend trip...)

    I've done it too. I got down the road about a mile and that's all she went. It was in Iowa and I had to stay in a motel/tattoo parlor. Met a dude named Knuckles and he was very cool.
  • @gumby73 said:

    Could be as simple as a vacuum hose leak or grit in fuel filter but worst could be ignition coils(3 small black boxes screwed to ignition plate) or possible EGR valve which mixes air & gas if its got one, Hope for hose or grit in fuel filter, but you got it at the right place. EGR or Coils run about the same $$ but (hose or filter runs less) with proper checks mechanic will eliminate trail & error expense..good luck

    Things are different now Gumby. Now they just plug a box in and it tells you what's wrong. Not like the olden days of guessing and listening Lol.

    @one-post said:

    Things are different now Gumby. Now they just plug a box in and it tells you what's wrong. Not like the olden days of guessing and listening Lol.

    Truth,politely am only 53 not 103. for the last 25 years I have diy'd several mail delivery cars to their slow death. surly none have been a VW but. I have about 3 diagnostic boxes & their about useless unless your Ck. Eng. Lt is on to receive codes from cars computer. If the Ck.Eng Lt. was on, it's more likely a sensor. If light was not on, my $ is on Fuel filter which was a easy low cost fix before you would get into a Fuel Pump, which can be tricky unless the dead give away was no noise from pump. which Bbed says he can still hear, the mechanic can test the pressure under hood on fuel line with gauge if it's still a low pressure pump issue.But them damn German car specialty shops? Hitler may have BBed by the nads & Hope he's still not holding any grudges but holding the old part he replaced 😮

  • I've worked my early career in maintenance plus I'm an old motorhead back when you could actually fix your own cars -but- I still believe in checking the easiest most fundamental and often the least expensive things first.

    Fuses, switches, connectors first before before tearing into anything complicated or expensive.

    What's all involved now in checking your engine for contaminated fuel?

  • "One said:

    Bad enough if it's the fuel pump but they have to drop that tank and it's full. Lol. What make and model and year?

    2012 VW Jetta GLI

    Don't have to drop the tank for the fuel pump, there's an access hole under the rear seat.

    @bbedward said:

    2012 VW Jetta GLI

    Don't have to drop the tank for the fuel pump, there's an access hole under the rear seat.

    You own a VW, that's the problem.