Bad fuel?
-
Could be so many things- good luck with that. Dirty fuel injectors? Water in the gas via condensation in the tanks?
gas engine - you put diesel fuel in it? (haha, nobody would...no wait, I actually DID do that when I was in the service,
on a weekend trip...)
-
Could be so many things- good luck with that. Dirty fuel injectors? Water in the gas via condensation in the tanks?
gas engine - you put diesel fuel in it? (haha, nobody would...no wait, I actually DID do that when I was in the service,
on a weekend trip...)
I've done it too. I got down the road about a mile and that's all she went. It was in Iowa and I had to stay in a motel/tattoo parlor. Met a dude named Knuckles and he was very cool.Could be so many things- good luck with that. Dirty fuel injectors? Water in the gas via condensation in the tanks?
gas engine - you put diesel fuel in it? (haha, nobody would...no wait, I actually DID do that when I was in the service,
on a weekend trip...)
-
Things are different now Gumby. Now they just plug a box in and it tells you what's wrong. Not like the olden days of guessing and listening Lol.Could be as simple as a vacuum hose leak or grit in fuel filter but worst could be ignition coils(3 small black boxes screwed to ignition plate) or possible EGR valve which mixes air & gas if its got one, Hope for hose or grit in fuel filter, but you got it at the right place. EGR or Coils run about the same $$ but (hose or filter runs less) with proper checks mechanic will eliminate trail & error expense..good luck
Things are different now Gumby. Now they just plug a box in and it tells you what's wrong. Not like the olden days of guessing and listening Lol.
Truth,politely am only 53 not 103. for the last 25 years I have diy'd several mail delivery cars to their slow death. surly none have been a VW but. I have about 3 diagnostic boxes & their about useless unless your Ck. Eng. Lt is on to receive codes from cars computer. If the Ck.Eng Lt. was on, it's more likely a sensor. If light was not on, my $ is on Fuel filter which was a easy low cost fix before you would get into a Fuel Pump, which can be tricky unless the dead give away was no noise from pump. which Bbed says he can still hear, the mechanic can test the pressure under hood on fuel line with gauge if it's still a low pressure pump issue.But them damn German car specialty shops? Hitler may have BBed by the nads & Hope he's still not holding any grudges but holding the old part he replaced

-
I've worked my early career in maintenance plus I'm an old motorhead back when you could actually fix your own cars -but- I still believe in checking the easiest most fundamental and often the least expensive things first.
Fuses, switches, connectors first before before tearing into anything complicated or expensive.
What's all involved now in checking your engine for contaminated fuel?
-
"One said:
Bad enough if it's the fuel pump but they have to drop that tank and it's full. Lol. What make and model and year?
2012 VW Jetta GLI
Don't have to drop the tank for the fuel pump, there's an access hole under the rear seat.
-
I've owned a couple of VW's. First was a 1969 VW bug I bought in Long Beach. Wouldn't start if it rained (don't believe the 'it never rains in southern California). But it was a tank. No heater, no air cond. AM radio only, 4 speed stick. The next one was a 2001 VW GTI. Nothing but electrical problems. Coils went twice. Car wouldn't go past 45 mph and jerked. Warranty covered it. Then the power windows, then wouldn't start (computer glitch). I traded it in and never looked at another VW.
-
Car running half tank, top off tank, won't run.....I'd guess bad gas first.
Did you check with station for other bad gas complaints? Especially before they correct the problem -and- they might be liable for your expenses.
.....where's The Gipper when you need him? He'd know that for sure!
Car running half tank, top off tank, won't run.....I'd guess bad gas first.
Did you check with station for other bad gas complaints? Especially before they correct the problem -and- they might be liable for your expenses.
.....where's The Gipper when you need him? He'd know that for sure!
Yea nothing, guy just said no my gas is good.
Plenty of people filled up and left while I waited there, but my car takes premium which much less people get/require.
-
I've owned a couple of VW's. First was a 1969 VW bug I bought in Long Beach. Wouldn't start if it rained (don't believe the 'it never rains in southern California). But it was a tank. No heater, no air cond. AM radio only, 4 speed stick. The next one was a 2001 VW GTI. Nothing but electrical problems. Coils went twice. Car wouldn't go past 45 mph and jerked. Warranty covered it. Then the power windows, then wouldn't start (computer glitch). I traded it in and never looked at another VW.
I've owned a couple of VW's. First was a 1969 VW bug I bought in Long Beach. Wouldn't start if it rained (don't believe the 'it never rains in southern California). But it was a tank. No heater, no air cond. AM radio only, 4 speed stick. The next one was a 2001 VW GTI. Nothing but electrical problems. Coils went twice. Car wouldn't go past 45 mph and jerked. Warranty covered it. Then the power windows, then wouldn't start (computer glitch). I traded it in and never looked at another VW.
Newer ones are not bad, there's a lot of smart things I appreciate when I do anything to it. (Access holes for fog lights, the fuel pump access under the seat, etc.)
Even 10 years ago they were notorious for electrical problems but they aren't too bad now.
-
I've worked my early career in maintenance plus I'm an old motorhead back when you could actually fix your own cars -but- I still believe in checking the easiest most fundamental and often the least expensive things first.
Fuses, switches, connectors first before before tearing into anything complicated or expensive.
What's all involved now in checking your engine for contaminated fuel?
-
-
"One said:
Ok I've posted enough on this topic. My guess fuel pump.
Yea I regret taking it to the shop but all my tools are at my mom's house.
Should have rented a fuel pressure tester and tested a few things because if they tell me it's a bad fuel pump I'll be towing it to her house to replace it myself to save a few hundred bux
-
"One said:
Ok I've posted enough on this topic. My guess fuel pump.
Yea I regret taking it to the shop but all my tools are at my mom's house.
Should have rented a fuel pressure tester and tested a few things because if they tell me it's a bad fuel pump I'll be towing it to her house to replace it myself to save a few hundred bux
I hope it's not the fuel pump man seriously I hope I'm wrong.Yea I regret taking it to the shop but all my tools are at my mom's house.
Should have rented a fuel pressure tester and tested a few things because if they tell me it's a bad fuel pump I'll be towing it to her house to replace it myself to save a few hundred bux
-
I hope it's not the fuel pump man seriously I hope I'm wrong.Yea I regret taking it to the shop but all my tools are at my mom's house.
Should have rented a fuel pressure tester and tested a few things because if they tell me it's a bad fuel pump I'll be towing it to her house to replace it myself to save a few hundred bux
"One said:
I hope it's not the fuel pump man seriously I hope I'm wrong.
I'd be happy if it's the fuel pump, I can get one for < $150 by Wednesday and swap it out in a half hour
-
"One said:
Ok I've posted enough on this topic. My guess fuel pump.
Yea I regret taking it to the shop but all my tools are at my mom's house.
Should have rented a fuel pressure tester and tested a few things because if they tell me it's a bad fuel pump I'll be towing it to her house to replace it myself to save a few hundred bux
I hear that! I have every tool under the sun here and the big ones at mom's TWO garages (welder, big drill press, ramps, jack stands, etc x 10 ). I'm not up to fixing anything major now.Yea I regret taking it to the shop but all my tools are at my mom's house.
Should have rented a fuel pressure tester and tested a few things because if they tell me it's a bad fuel pump I'll be towing it to her house to replace it myself to save a few hundred bux
Just recently paid $300+ for "diagnosis ($99 alone) and change electric window motor...then weeks later $500+ for diagnosis, tie rod ends and front end alignment.
So much cheaper to DIY if you can swing it!
-
Well that was unexpected.Said looks like the car skipped timing, no compression on any of the cylinders.*Luckily* I purchased an extended warranty and it should be covered, but they want the engine torn down to confirm the diagnosis before approving the claim.
-
Well that was unexpected.Said looks like the car skipped timing, no compression on any of the cylinders.*Luckily* I purchased an extended warranty and it should be covered, but they want the engine torn down to confirm the diagnosis before approving the claim.
Yep timing belt and all that. They'll change the water pump and everything down the engine covers.Well that was unexpected.
Said looks like the car skipped timing, no compression on any of the cylinders.
*Luckily* I purchased an extended warranty and it should be covered, but they want the engine torn down to confirm the diagnosis before approving the claim.
-
Yep timing belt and all that. They'll change the water pump and everything down the engine covers.Well that was unexpected.
Said looks like the car skipped timing, no compression on any of the cylinders.
*Luckily* I purchased an extended warranty and it should be covered, but they want the engine torn down to confirm the diagnosis before approving the claim.
Yep timing belt and all that. They'll change the water pump and everything down the engine covers.
Yea pretty fucked up, I hope the warranty doesn't find any excuse not to cover it (it says timing chain/belt, cylinder head are covered under the powertrain)
But they will not approve the claim until they tear it down, which cost $270 out of my pocket.
-
Yep timing belt and all that. They'll change the water pump and everything down the engine covers.
Yea pretty fucked up, I hope the warranty doesn't find any excuse not to cover it (it says timing chain/belt, cylinder head are covered under the powertrain)
But they will not approve the claim until they tear it down, which cost $270 out of my pocket.
Yea pretty fucked up, I hope the warranty doesn't find any excuse not to cover it (it says timing chain/belt, cylinder head are covered under the powertrain)
But they will not approve the claim until they tear it down, which cost $270 out of my pocket.
Trade it in on a Lexus or if you can't afford a Toyota or Honda. VW still rated shit in Consumer Reports.
-
I love that VW, it's turbo , 6 speed and loads of fun.
But probable timing tensioner failure out of the blue that bent every valve not cool. Thank god for the warranty.
-
I love that VW, it's turbo , 6 speed and loads of fun.
But probable timing tensioner failure out of the blue that bent every valve not cool. Thank god for the warranty.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login