Bad fuel?
-
So when do you get the final news and what has to be done and how much?
Monday probably, but the warranty company has to send out an inspector/adjuster and I won't know what I'm on the hook for until then. Probably just my $250 deductible.
I'm paying out of pocket now for the rental car which sucks with the holidays coming up, but the warranty company will also reimburse me for that.
Likely it'll need a new cylinder head (or new valves, but it's probably cheaper and quicker to just get a new one since they're bent in every cylinder. Plus timing chain, timing chain tensioner, new chain guides. Plus usual stuff - new coolant/oil. I'll also have them replace the water pump while they're in there even though it'd probably be out of my pocket.
It's routine they change it out. I went through the same thing in my Mazda kiddo. Final bill which I paid out of pocket around $1600.Monday probably, but the warranty company has to send out an inspector/adjuster and I won't know what I'm on the hook for until then. Probably just my $250 deductible.
I'm paying out of pocket now for the rental car which sucks with the holidays coming up, but the warranty company will also reimburse me for that.
Likely it'll need a new cylinder head (or new valves, but it's probably cheaper and quicker to just get a new one since they're bent in every cylinder. Plus timing chain, timing chain tensioner, new chain guides. Plus usual stuff - new coolant/oil. I'll also have them replace the water pump while they're in there even though it'd probably be out of my pocket.
-
I saw it yesterday because I had to go get something out of my car. Looked like every exhaust valve was bent and most of the intake valves, should have taken a picture.
They said the chain was loose and it had the "old-style" timing chain tensioner - which I guess VW has a revised part for it.
Also the water pump scenario is weird, it's driven by it's own little belt that connects to the balancing shaft - it's also connected to the engine oil cooler, all have lines and stuff going to the turbo. Probably not a thing covered under a timing tensioner failure because of the way it's designed - but I'll still have them replace it anyway since it requires removing the intake manifold to replace it.
-
I saw it yesterday because I had to go get something out of my car. Looked like every exhaust valve was bent and most of the intake valves, should have taken a picture.
They said the chain was loose and it had the "old-style" timing chain tensioner - which I guess VW has a revised part for it.
Also the water pump scenario is weird, it's driven by it's own little belt that connects to the balancing shaft - it's also connected to the engine oil cooler, all have lines and stuff going to the turbo. Probably not a thing covered under a timing tensioner failure because of the way it's designed - but I'll still have them replace it anyway since it requires removing the intake manifold to replace it.
I saw it yesterday because I had to go get something out of my car. Looked like every exhaust valve was bent and most of the intake valves, should have taken a picture.
They said the chain was loose and it had the "old-style" timing chain tensioner - which I guess VW has a revised part for it.
Also the water pump scenario is weird, it's driven by it's own little belt that connects to the balancing shaft - it's also connected to the engine oil cooler, all have lines and stuff going to the turbo. Probably not a thing covered under a timing tensioner failure because of the way it's designed - but I'll still have them replace it anyway since it requires removing the intake manifold to replace it.
What year is this car? What caused this major damage? How many miles?
-
I saw it yesterday because I had to go get something out of my car. Looked like every exhaust valve was bent and most of the intake valves, should have taken a picture.
They said the chain was loose and it had the "old-style" timing chain tensioner - which I guess VW has a revised part for it.
Also the water pump scenario is weird, it's driven by it's own little belt that connects to the balancing shaft - it's also connected to the engine oil cooler, all have lines and stuff going to the turbo. Probably not a thing covered under a timing tensioner failure because of the way it's designed - but I'll still have them replace it anyway since it requires removing the intake manifold to replace it.
What year is this car? What caused this major damage? How many miles?
What year is this car? What caused this major damage? How many miles?
2012, just under 100k miles. Timing chain tensioner failed causing chain to skip. Often happens after you shut off the engine the loose chain skips and then car won't start again or will run clunky. Interference engine so piston meets valves.
VW has a TSB and a revised timing chain tensioner part. But under the TSB they won't replace it unless it fails - which is a bit of a joke because when it fails it usually takes the valves with it. Of course they won't replace the valves/cylinder head as a result of its failure.
Under the warranty they will install a reman'd cylinder head and the revised timing chain tensioner with new chain/guides.
-
What year is this car? What caused this major damage? How many miles?
2012, just under 100k miles. Timing chain tensioner failed causing chain to skip. Often happens after you shut off the engine the loose chain skips and then car won't start again or will run clunky. Interference engine so piston meets valves.
VW has a TSB and a revised timing chain tensioner part. But under the TSB they won't replace it unless it fails - which is a bit of a joke because when it fails it usually takes the valves with it. Of course they won't replace the valves/cylinder head as a result of its failure.
Under the warranty they will install a reman'd cylinder head and the revised timing chain tensioner with new chain/guides.
They call it the tensioner and it's as big as your thumb. You were due for it to happen and when you get it fixed and ever sell it that's one of the questions you will be asked.2012, just under 100k miles. Timing chain tensioner failed causing chain to skip. Often happens after you shut off the engine the loose chain skips and then car won't start again or will run clunky. Interference engine so piston meets valves.
VW has a TSB and a revised timing chain tensioner part. But under the TSB they won't replace it unless it fails - which is a bit of a joke because when it fails it usually takes the valves with it. Of course they won't replace the valves/cylinder head as a result of its failure.
Under the warranty they will install a reman'd cylinder head and the revised timing chain tensioner with new chain/guides.
-
They call it the tensioner and it's as big as your thumb. You were due for it to happen and when you get it fixed and ever sell it that's one of the questions you will be asked.2012, just under 100k miles. Timing chain tensioner failed causing chain to skip. Often happens after you shut off the engine the loose chain skips and then car won't start again or will run clunky. Interference engine so piston meets valves.
VW has a TSB and a revised timing chain tensioner part. But under the TSB they won't replace it unless it fails - which is a bit of a joke because when it fails it usually takes the valves with it. Of course they won't replace the valves/cylinder head as a result of its failure.
Under the warranty they will install a reman'd cylinder head and the revised timing chain tensioner with new chain/guides.
"One said:
They call it the tensioner and it's as big as your thumb. You were due for it to happen and when you get it fixed and ever sell it that's one of the questions you will be asked.
There's a class action lawsuit I saw out there for these tensioners, but it's not much worry to me. I'll get the revised one and either new valves or a new cylinder head. They alluded to it being cheaper to just replace the cylinder head than machining/replacing the valves though
-
"One said:
They call it the tensioner and it's as big as your thumb. You were due for it to happen and when you get it fixed and ever sell it that's one of the questions you will be asked.
There's a class action lawsuit I saw out there for these tensioners, but it's not much worry to me. I'll get the revised one and either new valves or a new cylinder head. They alluded to it being cheaper to just replace the cylinder head than machining/replacing the valves though
There's a class action lawsuit I saw out there for these tensioners, but it's not much worry to me. I'll get the revised one and either new valves or a new cylinder head. They alluded to it being cheaper to just replace the cylinder head than machining/replacing the valves though
Just curious are you going to sign on with the class action if it's still open? Doesn't cost anything and you might get something....eventually.
I bought a 1970 Honda Scrambler 350 in January but Honda was passing off late 1969 models off as 1970s...I didn't care I liked the 1969 style much better.
Well after a LONG wait I got my check for... $7.47. Oh well. But you might have much more at stake!
-
There's a class action lawsuit I saw out there for these tensioners, but it's not much worry to me. I'll get the revised one and either new valves or a new cylinder head. They alluded to it being cheaper to just replace the cylinder head than machining/replacing the valves though
Just curious are you going to sign on with the class action if it's still open? Doesn't cost anything and you might get something....eventually.
I bought a 1970 Honda Scrambler 350 in January but Honda was passing off late 1969 models off as 1970s...I didn't care I liked the 1969 style much better.
Well after a LONG wait I got my check for... $7.47. Oh well. But you might have much more at stake!
Just curious are you going to sign on with the class action if it's still open? Doesn't cost anything and you might get something....eventually.
I bought a 1970 Honda Scrambler 350 in January but Honda was passing off late 1969 models off as 1970s...I didn't care I liked the 1969 style much better.
Well after a LONG wait I got my check for... $7.47. Oh well. But you might have much more at stake!
Yea I got some paperwork from the law firm to join the suit as a plaintiff. Won't take much and I'll happily take a check for whatever if it happens.
-
Total bill ~$4200
Rebuilt cylinder head with stuff like: new intake/exhaust valves, new rocker arms, new head gasket, new cam follower. Plus other gaskets (like intake/exhaust mani/TB), new timing chain kit (chain, guides, tensioner, cover), plus oil filter housing (? not sure why but whatever, my oil filter is in the engine bay facing down), and new fluids and other misc. crap of course.
-
Total bill ~$4200
Rebuilt cylinder head with stuff like: new intake/exhaust valves, new rocker arms, new head gasket, new cam follower. Plus other gaskets (like intake/exhaust mani/TB), new timing chain kit (chain, guides, tensioner, cover), plus oil filter housing (? not sure why but whatever, my oil filter is in the engine bay facing down), and new fluids and other misc. crap of course.
Should've shopped around that's way too high. If you ain't flipping the bill fuck it though.Total bill ~$4200
Rebuilt cylinder head with stuff like: new intake/exhaust valves, new rocker arms, new head gasket, new cam follower. Plus other gaskets (like intake/exhaust mani/TB), new timing chain kit (chain, guides, tensioner, cover), plus oil filter housing (? not sure why but whatever, my oil filter is in the engine bay facing down), and new fluids and other misc. crap of course.
-
Holy smokes! Some list of parts and work because of a timing chain plus $4,200, whew!
I had to pay just under $500 due to discrepancies in what the warranty would pay.
Still not a big deal, I'm not footing the vast majority of the bill (it was really like ~$4800 including the teardown of which I paid about $500 including deductible)
Those German valves (OEM, at least) cost something like $50 each which is absolutely insane IMO - but that's over $800 for all the intake/exhaust valves alone. Warranty company was only willing to pay $25/valve
Ditto with the timing stuff, $850 for the full timing chain (upper and lower), tensioners, guides, new cover. Warranty only willing to pay like $450.
But the part prices were for OEM and not aftermarket - I double checked with the dealer and they were accurate. Warranty company apparently wasn't willing to foot the bill for OEM stuff but I wanted it because why fuck around with Chinese junk when it comes to engine internals.
But $50 per valve...that one blew my mind (double checked local dealer, thats what they charge. Actually more like $56 per intake valve and $51 per exhaust valve)
-
And 21 hours labor total, which is just a shade under 2 grand.
And warranty was able to switch the billing account on my rental car to their own - so they're paying way more than I paid for the warranty so I can't complain
I paid like $1800 for the extended warranty, getting about $5000 worth of stuff
-
You came out smelling like a rose buddy.
-
"One said:
You came out smelling like a rose buddy.
I'll be pretty happy with a rebuilt top end for $500, can spend money on more fun stuff for the car and not have to worry too much.
It is a nice car, one of the more fun ones I've driven. Plus the ECU can be reprogrammed to up the boost and shit which I'd be more comfortable doing with a brand new top end.
Though a new clutch probably has to come before any of that.
-
And I asked for them to let me keep the tensioner (for the class action lawsuit purposes, they're replacing it with the revised part)
I also asked to keep the valves just because, bent valves make a nice souvenir.
-
And I asked for them to let me keep the tensioner (for the class action lawsuit purposes, they're replacing it with the revised part)
I also asked to keep the valves just because, bent valves make a nice souvenir.
And I asked for them to let me keep the tensioner (for the class action lawsuit purposes, they're replacing it with the revised part)
I also asked to keep the valves just because, bent valves make a nice souvenir.
Yeah a pile of souvenirs maybe you can make some ashtrays or paperweights with them.
Yes I'd keep the tensioners and any other parts at least for now but when you sign on with the class action suits you all will probably just get a straight equal payout....if the class action is ruled in your favor as a group. Generally they take time to resolve.
-
And I asked for them to let me keep the tensioner (for the class action lawsuit purposes, they're replacing it with the revised part)
I also asked to keep the valves just because, bent valves make a nice souvenir.
Yeah a pile of souvenirs maybe you can make some ashtrays or paperweights with them.
Yes I'd keep the tensioners and any other parts at least for now but when you sign on with the class action suits you all will probably just get a straight equal payout....if the class action is ruled in your favor as a group. Generally they take time to resolve.
Yeah a pile of souvenirs maybe you can make some ashtrays or paperweights with them.
Yes I'd keep the tensioners and any other parts at least for now but when you sign on with the class action suits you all will probably just get a straight equal payout....if the class action is ruled in your favor as a group. Generally they take time to resolve.
Probably a $10 check will show up one day in 3 years, if anything. I'm ok with it though.
-
Yeah a pile of souvenirs maybe you can make some ashtrays or paperweights with them.
Yes I'd keep the tensioners and any other parts at least for now but when you sign on with the class action suits you all will probably just get a straight equal payout....if the class action is ruled in your favor as a group. Generally they take time to resolve.
Probably a $10 check will show up one day in 3 years, if anything. I'm ok with it though.
-
And I asked for them to let me keep the tensioner (for the class action lawsuit purposes, they're replacing it with the revised part)
I also asked to keep the valves just because, bent valves make a nice souvenir.
And I asked for them to let me keep the tensioner (for the class action lawsuit purposes, they're replacing it with the revised part)
I also asked to keep the valves just because, bent valves make a nice souvenir.
I saved a broken defrost blend door from my wifes Chev Cruze that wasnt covered by my ext, warranty plan
( but heater core covered... same labor!)
TSB / recall list on this car is larger than santas.....
hoping that part gets on the naughty list too
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login