Skip to content

Camp Trubisky

The Browns Board
548 53 13.4k
  • @the-gipper said:

    I think that when the final grades come out on him....he will grade out as superior project than just about any one of those.

    Though... of course, a word of caution: of the ones you list above....probably the highest grades went to Vince Young and Russell...and we know what happened there.

    Actually, probably the highest grades went to RG3, Vick and Couch. RG3 was considered a generational level talent only a hair behind Luck, I think a lot of people forget that.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Actually, probably the highest grades went to RG3, Vick and Couch. RG3 was considered a generational level talent only a hair behind Luck, I think a lot of people forget that.

    Now that you mention it, that is true. What did Washington give up to trade up to get him?

  • Wasn't it three first rounders and change? Ironically, many people were reporting that the Browns basically had a deal done with the Rams, and then Shanahan and Fisher rekindled their friendship and Browns were odd team out.

  • RG III was definitely considered the "once every ten years" type talent, and people were in awe of his sprinter like speed and strong, vertical throwing ability. The amazing rookie season did little to quash that hype, and by the time he tried to return from injury, everything went bonkers. We all know the rumors and stories, but RG III is largely an unknown commodity. What IS known is not good, and that's his documented INABILITY to stay on the field. Once the NFL caught on to the read-option offenses, nobody knew whether or not there was a place for RG III in the league. We are now seeing a similar player, Collin Kaepernick, struggle with the 49's, but his play does seem to be improving. Even so, I doubt many, if any, teams in the league want a guy like RG III or Kaepernick.

    If RG III continues to get healthy, you can bet your ass he's going to start the last four games of our schedule after the bye. Well, he'll start until he gets injured again. But seriously, I think it might be fun to see a guy like Robert out there. I mean it's not like we're having a ton of fun watching the other guys, right? RG III might have lost a step, but I'm pretty sure he's faster than most QB's in the league, and possibly that speed can be used to help us move the ball. We all know the guy likes to throw it deep, so perhaps his speed lets him avoid pressure and chuck it deep?

    At any rate, it'll give us something to talk about at the end of the year...well...besides the upcoming draft.

    @jiggins7919 said:

    RG III was definitely considered the "once every ten years" type talent, and people were in awe of his sprinter like speed and strong, vertical throwing ability. The amazing rookie season did little to quash that hype, and by the time he tried to return from injury, everything went bonkers. We all know the rumors and stories, but RG III is largely an unknown commodity. What IS known is not good, and that's his documented INABILITY to stay on the field. Once the NFL caught on to the read-option offenses, nobody knew whether or not there was a place for RG III in the league. We are now seeing a similar player, Collin Kaepernick, struggle with the 49's, but his play does seem to be improving. Even so, I doubt many, if any, teams in the league want a guy like RG III or Kaepernick.

    If RG III continues to get healthy, you can bet your ass he's going to start the last four games of our schedule after the bye. Well, he'll start until he gets injured again. But seriously, I think it might be fun to see a guy like Robert out there. I mean it's not like we're having a ton of fun watching the other guys, right? RG III might have lost a step, but I'm pretty sure he's faster than most QB's in the league, and possibly that speed can be used to help us move the ball. We all know the guy likes to throw it deep, so perhaps his speed lets him avoid pressure and chuck it deep?

    At any rate, it'll give us something to talk about at the end of the year...well...besides the upcoming draft.

    The problem with Griffin injury history aside, isn't his athleticism- which is unquestioned. It's what's between his ears. I still have my doubts after 4 years in the league he can read a defense. BTW, should he start and get busted up again, MHO is it's adios, failed experiment.

    Same reason I've seriously cooled on Deshawn Watson. I'm seeing a Griffin clone.

  • Yeah, maybe Mitch hasn't played the best competition, and that's one of the downsides of the guy. Like we said, he is far from a perfect prospect. He's only started one year, right? That can be good and bad. You don't want to draft a player solely on what's he's done, you want to also draft someone because of what they CAN become. So if Mitch has improved so much in one year of starting, can he CONTINUE to improve? That's probably the golden question, and not one easily answered.

    I think it's impossible to ignore the fact that Mitch wants to play here. It might not sound like a huge deal, but the more I think about it, the more it actually seems to carry weight. The fans would be immediately drawn to the guy, and that would probably sell tickets. Even if we're a terrible team, the fact that we might FINALLY have "our guy" would lessen the pain of losing drastically.

    The bigger issue, and one that is impossible to ignore, is our current team can't keep QB's healthy. So can we honestly draft a young QB in good faith knowing we can't keep him healthy? What adjustments do we have to make? Is it only personnel, or is there a bigger issue? Is there a center or other OL that we can draft or pursue in FA? We must have a plan to address the protection, otherwise drafting a QB makes no sense at all.

    @jiggins7919 said:

    The bigger issue, and one that is impossible to ignore, is our current team can't keep QB's healthy. So can we honestly draft a young QB in good faith knowing we can't keep him healthy? What adjustments do we have to make? Is it only personnel, or is there a bigger issue? Is there a center or other OL that we can draft or pursue in FA? We must have a plan to address the protection, otherwise drafting a QB makes no sense at all.

    When you never had a QB, hell no you don't stop getting a QB at any cost in draft or FA. But when your OL play is flat out killing your chances of evaluating any of your offensive talent including QB, the OL must be reassembled to give you a chance at this time of year. As a person,Cam Erving interviews & is a positive player on the field, but as evaluation would show, Cam is no C or G & we have 2 Good tackles. I am DONE with the Hue "really wants to win" with Erving on the field. Cam was out 3 weeks, we moved Greco to C & guess what? @Mia./@Wash./Pats Crow-6yrds/carry..Duke-5yrds/carry. except for Pats game(we gave up running,scoreboard). Sacks allowed were 3.5/game.Do we really need a C with Greco/Reiter on deck? I would almost say no, we need a starting RG or is that Durango's job or depth. Alvin Bailey is depth, no starter imo. but Joel Bitio will need depth also..Our best C is John Greco period. When the Erving experience ends, Hue than is serious about winning but till 9'er win another game I doubt we will actually see Greco at C..I can't even blame Cam for his poor play. I watched enough of it at FSU. but i will blame a GM that can't believe a scout & than believe many media circuits that Cam can float many OL positions. And JM never partied much at school..This Team Flush is far from complete imo

  • @logicisforsquares said:

    I think some here wouldn't have such a love for the guy if he hadn't said he wanted to be a Brown.

    That might help....though the fact that he is a kid from Mentor helps more.

    When is the last time a superior QB came out of NE Ohio? This area has not been as fertile for QBs as I believe it should be.....as far as I know these are the QBs that came out of NEO high schools....regardless of their ultimate quality.

    Len Dawson Alliance HOF

    Bernie Kosar Boardman

    Elvis Grbac...St. Joe's

    Brian Hoyer St. Ignatius

    Todd Blackledge North Canton

    George Izo Barberton

    Charlie Frye, Willard

    Tom Tupa, Brecksville

    Anyone else? Other positions have had better products come out of here.

    @the-gipper said:

    That might help....though the fact that he is a kid from Mentor helps more.

    When is the last time a superior QB came out of NE Ohio? This area has not been as fertile for QBs as I believe it should be.....as far as I know these are the QBs that came out of NEO high schools....regardless of their ultimate quality.

    Len Dawson Alliance HOF

    Bernie Kosar Boardman

    Elvis Grbac...St. Joe's

    Brian Hoyer St. Ignatius

    Todd Blackledge North Canton

    George Izo Barberton

    Charlie Frye, Willard

    Tom Tupa, Brecksville

    Anyone else? Other positions have had better products come out of here.

    Brian Dowling, not a professional QB of significance but a bit a cultural icon as we was the starting QB at Yale and was the basis for the Doonesbury character, B.D. Played for the Pats for a while and a cup of coffee with a few other teams.

    Some of our 70-80's backup were local boys: Mark Miller, Rick Trocano, Oliver Luck.

    Cliff Stoudt from Oberlin, not sure if that qualifies as NE Ohio though.

    Long time NFL backup and former Pitt star Matt Cavanaugh was from Youngstown.

    Tim "Ratty" Rattay, Elyria.

    Pittsburgh are definitely blows NE Ohio away when it comes to starting QBs in NFL ... but I bet NEO fairs pretty well otherwise at other positions.

    Zombo

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    RG III was definitely considered the "once every ten years" type talent, and people were in awe of his sprinter like speed and strong, vertical throwing ability. The amazing rookie season did little to quash that hype, and by the time he tried to return from injury, everything went bonkers. We all know the rumors and stories, but RG III is largely an unknown commodity. What IS known is not good, and that's his documented INABILITY to stay on the field. Once the NFL caught on to the read-option offenses, nobody knew whether or not there was a place for RG III in the league. We are now seeing a similar player, Collin Kaepernick, struggle with the 49's, but his play does seem to be improving. Even so, I doubt many, if any, teams in the league want a guy like RG III or Kaepernick.

    If RG III continues to get healthy, you can bet your ass he's going to start the last four games of our schedule after the bye. Well, he'll start until he gets injured again. But seriously, I think it might be fun to see a guy like Robert out there. I mean it's not like we're having a ton of fun watching the other guys, right? RG III might have lost a step, but I'm pretty sure he's faster than most QB's in the league, and possibly that speed can be used to help us move the ball. We all know the guy likes to throw it deep, so perhaps his speed lets him avoid pressure and chuck it deep?

    At any rate, it'll give us something to talk about at the end of the year...well...besides the upcoming draft.

    The problem with Griffin injury history aside, isn't his athleticism- which is unquestioned. It's what's between his ears. I still have my doubts after 4 years in the league he can read a defense. BTW, should he start and get busted up again, MHO is it's adios, failed experiment.

    Same reason I've seriously cooled on Deshawn Watson. I'm seeing a Griffin clone.

    @hoorta said:

    The problem with Griffins injury history...... which is unquestioned. ..... I still have my doubts after 4 years in the league he can (stay healthy)

    BTW, should he start and get busted up again, MHO is it's adios, failed experiment.

    Its already there.....

    The guy came here with a history of getting hurt.....the knock was that he couldnt stay on the field.....so, we hoped this would be the year he found a way to play.....but.....guess what.....he lasted less than one game.....

    Experiment over.....

    Or, do we foolishly give him a sixth year to see if....(suddenly)... it's different

  • Draft Mitch, a center, a right guard, and a right tackle in that order and all is good.

  • Draft Mitch, a center, a right guard, and a right tackle in that order and all is good.

    @topdawg31 said:

    Draft Mitch, a center, a right guard, and a right tackle in that order and all is good.

    Only if you define good as "able to score over 35 points per game."

  • @topdawg31 said:

    Draft Mitch, a center, a right guard, and a right tackle in that order and all is good.

    Only if you define good as "able to score over 35 points per game."

    @tour2ma said:

    Only if you define good as "able to score over 35 points per game."

    HA!!!!............eggsactly......

  • @the-gipper said:

    That might help....though the fact that he is a kid from Mentor helps more.

    When is the last time a superior QB came out of NE Ohio? This area has not been as fertile for QBs as I believe it should be.....as far as I know these are the QBs that came out of NEO high schools....regardless of their ultimate quality.

    Len Dawson Alliance HOF

    Bernie Kosar Boardman

    Elvis Grbac...St. Joe's

    Brian Hoyer St. Ignatius

    Todd Blackledge North Canton

    George Izo Barberton

    Charlie Frye, Willard

    Tom Tupa, Brecksville

    Anyone else? Other positions have had better products come out of here.

    Brian Dowling, not a professional QB of significance but a bit a cultural icon as we was the starting QB at Yale and was the basis for the Doonesbury character, B.D. Played for the Pats for a while and a cup of coffee with a few other teams.

    Some of our 70-80's backup were local boys: Mark Miller, Rick Trocano, Oliver Luck.

    Cliff Stoudt from Oberlin, not sure if that qualifies as NE Ohio though.

    Long time NFL backup and former Pitt star Matt Cavanaugh was from Youngstown.

    Tim "Ratty" Rattay, Elyria.

    Pittsburgh are definitely blows NE Ohio away when it comes to starting QBs in NFL ... but I bet NEO fairs pretty well otherwise at other positions.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    Brian Dowling, not a professional QB of significance but a bit a cultural icon as we was the starting QB at Yale and was the basis for the Doonesbury character, B.D. Played for the Pats for a while and a cup of coffee with a few other teams.

    Some of our 70-80's backup were local boys: Mark Miller, Rick Trocano, Oliver Luck.

    Cliff Stoudt from Oberlin, not sure if that qualifies as NE Ohio though.

    Long time NFL backup and former Pitt star Matt Cavanaugh was from Youngstown.

    Tim "Ratty" Rattay, Elyria.

    Pittsburgh are definitely blows NE Ohio away when it comes to starting QBs in NFL ... but I bet NEO fairs pretty well otherwise at other positions.

    Zombo

    Thanks for this. Oliver Luck is likely the best of the ones you mention.

  • Zombo said:

    Brian Dowling, not a professional QB of significance but a bit a cultural icon as we was the starting QB at Yale and was the basis for the Doonesbury character, B.D. Played for the Pats for a while and a cup of coffee with a few other teams.

    Some of our 70-80's backup were local boys: Mark Miller, Rick Trocano, Oliver Luck.

    Cliff Stoudt from Oberlin, not sure if that qualifies as NE Ohio though.

    Long time NFL backup and former Pitt star Matt Cavanaugh was from Youngstown.

    Tim "Ratty" Rattay, Elyria.

    Pittsburgh are definitely blows NE Ohio away when it comes to starting QBs in NFL ... but I bet NEO fairs pretty well otherwise at other positions.

    Zombo

    Thanks for this. Oliver Luck is likely the best of the ones you mention.

    @the-gipper said:

    Thanks for this. Oliver Luck is likely the best of the ones you mention.

    And he's not even the best QB in his family.

  • Draft Mitch, a center, a right guard, and a right tackle in that order and all is good.

    @topdawg31 said:

    Draft Mitch, a center, a right guard, and a right tackle in that order and all is good.

    I have been listening to the radio and several people have stated how ultimately important the Offensive Line is today....and how no team without a good one will get anywhere.

    But our geniuses let Mitch Schwartz walk because perhaps they were Ghoolie Devotees who believe offensive linemen are a dime a dozen.

    To my mind, this year completely disproves that theory.

  • @taco918 said:

    Honestly, I'm surprised he's getting this much love here. He's played what? One full year? In a spread offense? In the ACC?

    Sorry for crop dusting the shiny, new camp but I'm having a hard time seeing a first round pick, much less first overall.

    Most scouting services have him, RIGHT NOW....as a Top Ten pick....the best QB that could come out in the draft. Even if his experience is limited, his skill is first rate enough to give him that rating.

    Plus, remember, this time last year Goff/Wentz were touted as maybe second rounders, yet they went 1-2 (and imo aren't as good)

    So, even if you think he may currently be overvalued....it will be nothing compared to what happened last year.

    @the-gipper said:

    remember, this time last year Goff/Wentz were touted as maybe second rounders

    You're the only one who remembers that.

    https://www.profootballfocus.com/why-jared-goff-is-the-best-qb-prospect-in-the-country/

    Note this article from last October stating Goff is expected to go #1

    http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/10/27/jared-goff-nfl-draft-2016-top-quarterback-qb-prospect

    Or this 55 week old article which posits that Goff could be chosen #5 overall.

    http://www.mercurynews.com/2015/11/05/49ers-qb-of-the-future-could-be-cals-jared-goff/

    Well what do ya know?! Here's an article from may of 2015 touting Goff as the top QB prospect entering the draft....

    http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2469137-meet-jared-goff-the-2016-nfl-drafts-top-qb-heading-into-next-season#

    A ten minute google search proves you're objectively wrong about expectations for Jared Goff in 2015. I'm sure there are plenty of very "reputable" articles that you remember to support your idea that Goff was a 2nd rounder a year ago.

    The problem is that, oddly enough, those articles aren't the ones showing up. I'm sure it's my fault, maybe I should use a more trust worthy search engine like Ask Jeeves.

  • If you haven't already tune into ESPN now (noon) Mitch is on.

  • @the-gipper said:

    remember, this time last year Goff/Wentz were touted as maybe second rounders

    You're the only one who remembers that.

    https://www.profootballfocus.com/why-jared-goff-is-the-best-qb-prospect-in-the-country/

    Note this article from last October stating Goff is expected to go #1

    http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/10/27/jared-goff-nfl-draft-2016-top-quarterback-qb-prospect

    Or this 55 week old article which posits that Goff could be chosen #5 overall.

    http://www.mercurynews.com/2015/11/05/49ers-qb-of-the-future-could-be-cals-jared-goff/

    Well what do ya know?! Here's an article from may of 2015 touting Goff as the top QB prospect entering the draft....

    http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2469137-meet-jared-goff-the-2016-nfl-drafts-top-qb-heading-into-next-season#

    A ten minute google search proves you're objectively wrong about expectations for Jared Goff in 2015. I'm sure there are plenty of very "reputable" articles that you remember to support your idea that Goff was a 2nd rounder a year ago.

    The problem is that, oddly enough, those articles aren't the ones showing up. I'm sure it's my fault, maybe I should use a more trust worthy search engine like Ask Jeeves.

    @roycerolls said:

    The problem is that, oddly enough, those articles aren't the ones showing up. I'm sure it's my fault, maybe I should use a more trust worthy search engine like Ask Jeeves.

    Just Ask Gipper. All the results will be just as he says.

  • At the gym but I got a text from a friend that UNC is down 21-0.

    If you want to give solid input, I'd suggest flipping on the game now.

  • 21-7 now.

  • 28-21 now

  • One negative I read was that he's not a big time clutch guy, so this could be big for him.

  • One negative I read was that he's not a big time clutch guy, so this could be big for him.

    @gftchris said:

    One negative I read was that he's not a big time clutch guy, so this could be big for him.

    not enough evidence in his college career for that, if you were to base that statement on his high school career then that statement is 1000% incorrect.

    If only UNC would have brought their D to the game.