Camp Trubisky
-
Absolutely not! We don't need another qb to stand back there and get put on the IR. No qbs till the lines fixed.
Absolutely not! We don't need another qb to stand back there and get put on the IR. No qbs till the lines fixed.
And what all needs fixed?
I'm pretty sure we just need to get a decent Center, and keep our other guys healthy. Thomas/Bitonio/Greco/Pasztor that's not that bad of a group. Hell, Coleman and Drango will have a year under their belt and may win starting jobs next year if they get stronger and stay healthy. Maybe our staff can get the 1st round talent out of J.Cooper... he may start next week, so we might see.
I would argue it's the QBs holding onto the ball too long that's getting them in trouble, which also gets the O-line in trouble with injuries and holding penalties as they have to hold blocks longer.
I've seen great QB's perform at a high level with even less time than ours. Turbisky is one example. He spent all year with less time than any Browns QB, and yet look at the numbers he put up... granted that's in college. Another one is Andrew Luck. He may not be setting the world on fire, but the Colts are sure as hell doing better than we are, despite a weak o-line...
You can't just blame all the injuries on the O-line...
-
The one-year starter thing does not scare me off at all. Look at Tannehill... he was a converted WR who had VERY little QB experience. It took a few more years than you would like, but now his team is 7-4, he threw for over 4,000 yards with a +65% comp in 2015, and this year he has thrown for over 2,500 yds, @ 66% with a 94.7 QB rating.
He may have started off a little rocky, but now it looks like they got the franchise QB they wanted.
-
The one year of starting doesn't necessarily turn me off, but of course I'd RATHER see how he progresses from one year to the next. So much of this guy just makes sense. What are the odds of us making a splash in free agency for a pass rusher? Sure, you have to overpay out the ass for them, but we're built for that now.
I don't know, I just want a reason for optimism. I want something fun to talk about. Feels like I'm reaching for just about anything now. I hate watching our offense, and I agree with previous posters...our QB's all have held onto the ball too long. The question is...why? I know a large part of it has to do with NO running game. Our team doesn't get hardly ANY of the easy play-action passes that so many others get. None of the bootleg plays that we see so much. Everything seems so hard for us.
*grumble*
-
Trubisky attended Mentor High School in Mentor, Ohio. During his career he passed for 9,126 yards and 92 touchdowns and rushed for 1,559 career yards and 33 touchdowns and was named Mr. Football in Ohio. Trubisky committed to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill to play college football
Trubisky attended Mentor High School in Mentor, Ohio. During his career he passed for 9,126 yards and 92 touchdowns and rushed for 1,559 career yards and 33 touchdowns and was named Mr. Football in Ohio. Trubisky committed to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill to play college football
This would all mean nothing if the kid were a stiff. But he is not, quite the opposite from all appearances.
-
Trubisky attended Mentor High School in Mentor, Ohio. During his career he passed for 9,126 yards and 92 touchdowns and rushed for 1,559 career yards and 33 touchdowns and was named Mr. Football in Ohio. Trubisky committed to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill to play college football
I watched Mitch play in a couple of games while he was the QB in Mentor. I thought he was something special then as I do now, BUT as I've said before, the Browns are more than just a QB away from being competitive.
I watched Mitch play in a couple of games while he was the QB in Mentor. I thought he was something special then as I do now, BUT as I've said before, the Browns are more than just a QB away from being competitive.
Absolutely, certainly. But starting with a QB could help. Having a stout OL in front of him is mandatory...so they HAVE to address that. FA/Draft.
And,yes, this defense needs like an additional 3 stud players.
-
I agree Canton... they need to build a team that can support a qb before putting all their eggs in that basket.
I agree Canton... they need to build a team that can support a qb before putting all their eggs in that basket.
ALL their eggs won't be in that basket. Just one big egg....the #1 overall. But there are a lot of other eggs. Maybe as high as #9. #33...possibly around #45, #65.
So, one egg will be on top....but there are other eggs.

-
I tell you what, the more I look at the draft, the more I see some possibilities for us getting Garrett and Trubisky. It will obviously cost us some draft picks, but it doesn't appear completely impossible. We basically have to hope that Kizer's stock gets hot, and then we have to hope that one of the 49's or Bears takes Jonathan Allen instead of a QB. Once you get past the third pick, there is a range of teams all the way to 9th that won't be taking QB...possibly higher. The Cardinals have the 9th pick (at this time, obviously) and they MAY take a QB as Palmer grows older and less efficient. Trading up from around 15 to 8 or 9...that's not impossible, and that wouldn't cost as much as people might think.
I tell you what, the more I look at the draft, the more I see some possibilities for us getting Garrett and Trubisky. It will obviously cost us some draft picks, but it doesn't appear completely impossible. We basically have to hope that Kizer's stock gets hot, and then we have to hope that one of the 49's or Bears takes Jonathan Allen instead of a QB. Once you get past the third pick, there is a range of teams all the way to 9th that won't be taking QB...possibly higher. The Cardinals have the 9th pick (at this time, obviously) and they MAY take a QB as Palmer grows older and less efficient. Trading up from around 15 to 8 or 9...that's not impossible, and that wouldn't cost as much as people might think.
Why do you think that Garrett would last until 8 or 9.
-
Absolutely not! We don't need another qb to stand back there and get put on the IR. No qbs till the lines fixed.
And what all needs fixed?
I'm pretty sure we just need to get a decent Center, and keep our other guys healthy. Thomas/Bitonio/Greco/Pasztor that's not that bad of a group. Hell, Coleman and Drango will have a year under their belt and may win starting jobs next year if they get stronger and stay healthy. Maybe our staff can get the 1st round talent out of J.Cooper... he may start next week, so we might see.
I would argue it's the QBs holding onto the ball too long that's getting them in trouble, which also gets the O-line in trouble with injuries and holding penalties as they have to hold blocks longer.
I've seen great QB's perform at a high level with even less time than ours. Turbisky is one example. He spent all year with less time than any Browns QB, and yet look at the numbers he put up... granted that's in college. Another one is Andrew Luck. He may not be setting the world on fire, but the Colts are sure as hell doing better than we are, despite a weak o-line...
You can't just blame all the injuries on the O-line...
And what all needs fixed?
I'm pretty sure we just need to get a decent Center, and keep our other guys healthy. Thomas/Bitonio/Greco/Pasztor that's not that bad of a group. Hell, Coleman and Drango will have a year under their belt and may win starting jobs next year if they get stronger and stay healthy. Maybe our staff can get the 1st round talent out of J.Cooper... he may start next week, so we might see.
I would argue it's the QBs holding onto the ball too long that's getting them in trouble, which also gets the O-line in trouble with injuries and holding penalties as they have to hold blocks longer.
I've seen great QB's perform at a high level with even less time than ours. Turbisky is one example. He spent all year with less time than any Browns QB, and yet look at the numbers he put up... granted that's in college. Another one is Andrew Luck. He may not be setting the world on fire, but the Colts are sure as hell doing better than we are, despite a weak o-line...
You can't just blame all the injuries on the O-line...
Well, yes the OL needs SOME fixing....but there certainly are still some quality players there. Thing is, with an OL, it is no better usually than its weakest link.
We have one major weak link: Erving. Injuries hve weakened the line somewhat....and another FA OL perhaps is in order.
But, its not like we have to get a whole new 5 guys. Bito back and 1 or 2 others. is what it will take.
-
Absolutely not! We don't need another qb to stand back there and get put on the IR. No qbs till the lines fixed.
And what all needs fixed?
I'm pretty sure we just need to get a decent Center, and keep our other guys healthy. Thomas/Bitonio/Greco/Pasztor that's not that bad of a group. Hell, Coleman and Drango will have a year under their belt and may win starting jobs next year if they get stronger and stay healthy. Maybe our staff can get the 1st round talent out of J.Cooper... he may start next week, so we might see.
I would argue it's the QBs holding onto the ball too long that's getting them in trouble, which also gets the O-line in trouble with injuries and holding penalties as they have to hold blocks longer.
I've seen great QB's perform at a high level with even less time than ours. Turbisky is one example. He spent all year with less time than any Browns QB, and yet look at the numbers he put up... granted that's in college. Another one is Andrew Luck. He may not be setting the world on fire, but the Colts are sure as hell doing better than we are, despite a weak o-line...
You can't just blame all the injuries on the O-line...
And what all needs fixed?
I'm pretty sure we just need to get a decent Center, and keep our other guys healthy. Thomas/Bitonio/Greco/Pasztor that's not that bad of a group. Hell, Coleman and Drango will have a year under their belt and may win starting jobs next year if they get stronger and stay healthy. Maybe our staff can get the 1st round talent out of J.Cooper... he may start next week, so we might see.
I would argue it's the QBs holding onto the ball too long that's getting them in trouble, which also gets the O-line in trouble with injuries and holding penalties as they have to hold blocks longer.
I've seen great QB's perform at a high level with even less time than ours. Turbisky is one example. He spent all year with less time than any Browns QB, and yet look at the numbers he put up... granted that's in college. Another one is Andrew Luck. He may not be setting the world on fire, but the Colts are sure as hell doing better than we are, despite a weak o-line...
You can't just blame all the injuries on the O-line...
Need a center? Did you say center? Buckeye Homer Central- I want this guy. http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/pat_elflein_807139.html
Not totally homerism, he does have some credentials.... http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/pat-elflein-named-outland-trophy-finalist/
Nothing like having a "Elf" on the Browns. Can play guard too. Problem is he might not last until pick #33.
-
And what all needs fixed?
I'm pretty sure we just need to get a decent Center, and keep our other guys healthy. Thomas/Bitonio/Greco/Pasztor that's not that bad of a group. Hell, Coleman and Drango will have a year under their belt and may win starting jobs next year if they get stronger and stay healthy. Maybe our staff can get the 1st round talent out of J.Cooper... he may start next week, so we might see.
I would argue it's the QBs holding onto the ball too long that's getting them in trouble, which also gets the O-line in trouble with injuries and holding penalties as they have to hold blocks longer.
I've seen great QB's perform at a high level with even less time than ours. Turbisky is one example. He spent all year with less time than any Browns QB, and yet look at the numbers he put up... granted that's in college. Another one is Andrew Luck. He may not be setting the world on fire, but the Colts are sure as hell doing better than we are, despite a weak o-line...
You can't just blame all the injuries on the O-line...
Need a center? Did you say center? Buckeye Homer Central- I want this guy. http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/pat_elflein_807139.html
Not totally homerism, he does have some credentials.... http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/pat-elflein-named-outland-trophy-finalist/
Nothing like having a "Elf" on the Browns. Can play guard too. Problem is he might not last until pick #33.
Need a center? Did you say center? Buckeye Homer Central- I want this guy. http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/pat_elflein_807139.html
Not totally homerism, he does have some credentials.... http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/pat-elflein-named-outland-trophy-finalist/
Nothing like having a "Elf" on the Browns. Can play guard too. Problem is he might not last until pick #33.
Yes, please.
-
We do have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds. They "should" all be starter quality. A QB, OC, OLB, and maybe a CB. "Could" make a huge impact... I doubt we do much in FA other than resign Pryor and Crowell.
-
-
The one-year starter thing does not scare me off at all. Look at Tannehill... he was a converted WR who had VERY little QB experience. It took a few more years than you would like, but now his team is 7-4, he threw for over 4,000 yards with a +65% comp in 2015, and this year he has thrown for over 2,500 yds, @ 66% with a 94.7 QB rating.
He may have started off a little rocky, but now it looks like they got the franchise QB they wanted.
The one-year starter thing does not scare me off at all. Look at Tannehill... he was a converted WR who had VERY little QB experience. It took a few more years than you would like, but now his team is 7-4, he threw for over 4,000 yards with a +65% comp in 2015, and this year he has thrown for over 2,500 yds, @ 66% with a 94.7 QB rating.
He may have started off a little rocky, but now it looks like they got the franchise QB they wanted.
Yeah... pffft... Ryan only threw for just shy of 8000 yards as a two-year starter in High School, had 20 starts at A&M. You call that experience?
And it only took him 4 years to get to "good" in the NFL. We can wait...
Should I have put the above in pink as well?
-
More gleaming gems of advanced statistics like this, please.
I don't have a link but I remember what Horta is talking about. I remember because it was an issue with Sanchez when his coach (I want to say it was Carroll but not positive) made a big hoopla that he didn't stay at USC for another year.
Obviously I don't remember those stats off the top of my head but, if I recall correctly, it was an extremely negitive correlation. When I say a negative correlation, I mean no positives results. Granted, I'm sure the sample size was very small, but it made enough of an impression on me to where it makes me hesitant.
-
The one-year starter thing does not scare me off at all. Look at Tannehill... he was a converted WR who had VERY little QB experience. It took a few more years than you would like, but now his team is 7-4, he threw for over 4,000 yards with a +65% comp in 2015, and this year he has thrown for over 2,500 yds, @ 66% with a 94.7 QB rating.
He may have started off a little rocky, but now it looks like they got the franchise QB they wanted.
Yeah... pffft... Ryan only threw for just shy of 8000 yards as a two-year starter in High School, had 20 starts at A&M. You call that experience?
And it only took him 4 years to get to "good" in the NFL. We can wait...
Should I have put the above in pink as well?
Yeah... pffft... Ryan only threw for just shy of 8000 yards as a two-year starter in High School, had 20 starts at A&M. You call that experience?
And it only took him 4 years to get to "good" in the NFL. We can wait...
Should I have put the above in pink as well?
Yeah, he was a QB his entire life. Came to campus as a QB. Practiced with the QBs even while playing receiver. He only played receiver because a new head coach brought in the WCO to a triple option team that had no receivers.
-
And what all needs fixed?
I'm pretty sure we just need to get a decent Center, and keep our other guys healthy. Thomas/Bitonio/Greco/Pasztor that's not that bad of a group. Hell, Coleman and Drango will have a year under their belt and may win starting jobs next year if they get stronger and stay healthy. Maybe our staff can get the 1st round talent out of J.Cooper... he may start next week, so we might see.
I would argue it's the QBs holding onto the ball too long that's getting them in trouble, which also gets the O-line in trouble with injuries and holding penalties as they have to hold blocks longer.
I've seen great QB's perform at a high level with even less time than ours. Turbisky is one example. He spent all year with less time than any Browns QB, and yet look at the numbers he put up... granted that's in college. Another one is Andrew Luck. He may not be setting the world on fire, but the Colts are sure as hell doing better than we are, despite a weak o-line...
You can't just blame all the injuries on the O-line...
Need a center? Did you say center? Buckeye Homer Central- I want this guy. http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/pat_elflein_807139.html
Not totally homerism, he does have some credentials.... http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/pat-elflein-named-outland-trophy-finalist/
Nothing like having a "Elf" on the Browns. Can play guard too. Problem is he might not last until pick #33.
Need a center? Did you say center? Buckeye Homer Central- I want this guy. http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/pat_elflein_807139.html
Not totally homerism, he does have some credentials.... http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/pat-elflein-named-outland-trophy-finalist/
Nothing like having a "Elf" on the Browns. Can play guard too. Problem is he might not last until pick #33.
I could live with either him or Pocic from LSU. Likely have to be our highest 2nd rounder, depending upon where that 2nd one is and who has been taken already.
Walterfootball has the Elf going as a guard instead of as center. Sounds versatile anyway.
-
Need a center? Did you say center? Buckeye Homer Central- I want this guy. http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/pat_elflein_807139.html
Not totally homerism, he does have some credentials.... http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/pat-elflein-named-outland-trophy-finalist/
Nothing like having a "Elf" on the Browns. Can play guard too. Problem is he might not last until pick #33.
I could live with either him or Pocic from LSU. Likely have to be our highest 2nd rounder, depending upon where that 2nd one is and who has been taken already.
Walterfootball has the Elf going as a guard instead of as center. Sounds versatile anyway.
I could live with either him or Pocic from LSU. Likely have to be our highest 2nd rounder, depending upon where that 2nd one is and who has been taken already.
Walterfootball has the Elf going as a guard instead of as center. Sounds versatile anyway.
So did Cam Erving.
WSS
-
right....I hated the Erving pick, but quicky accepted it and starting touting his versatility.....trying to justify, in my mind, that his jack of all trades projections would benefit the team...which needed multiple OL....
Just failed to recognize his master of none attributes....
-
right....I hated the Erving pick, but quicky accepted it and starting touting his versatility.....trying to justify, in my mind, that his jack of all trades projections would benefit the team...which needed multiple OL....
Just failed to recognize his master of none attributes....
right....I hated the Erving pick, but quicky accepted it and starting touting his versatility.....trying to justify, in my mind, that his jack of all trades projections would benefit the team...which needed multiple OL....
Just failed to recognize his master of none attributes....
...the thing that really got ME about Erving was that when he was underachieving as a guard, people started talking about him going back to his 'natural' position - center - and that then he would be good. And I was like, "Why? He only played 5 games at center in his college career." - That Farmer, he can really pick 'em.
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login