Thinking about the draft, first two picks...arguing with myself...
-
So, let's think about it, even though it's early as hell...
I was wondering if anybody else is arguing with themselves about it for the fun of it.
Here's the list I came up with, as to the possible/probable picks of the Browns in the first round.
(Hooker staying in school..?)Jamal Adams S, LSUJabril Peppers S, MichiganTrubisky Qb, North Carolina ***Pat Elfein C/G, Ohio Stateyan Ramczyk, OT, WisconsinQuincy Wilson CB, FloridaMarlon Humphrey, CB, AlabamaMarshon Lattimore**, CB, Ohio StateJonathan Allen, DE, AlabamaReuben Foster, ILB, AlabamaPICK ONE: The more I watch film of Trubisky, I pick him. At the top of the draft. Do you know, heis an inch taller and about the same weight as AARON RODGERS ? He has it all - especially the intangibles, sees the field,can make the throws, very, very accurate, especially on the run... just gets it. All of it. He is the dramatic fix for the qb position. I don't know if anybody else compares him to Rodgers,mebbe I'll catch hell for it...but that is what I think I'm thinkin. Root for the stupid cards and niners to win a few games.....PICK TWO: This pick is hell. The Browns desperately need a SS that kicks ass, cantake over a game, could be all pro material... with Hooker maybe staying in school, Adamsor Peppers may very well be a feared, well-known ass kicker for the Browns defense.(Not sure about Peppters as much.. maybe in coverage? Character fit?)But... so would Reuben Foster. The Browns desperately need a dominant lb play maker with speed,serious playmaking ability sideline to sideline, with great instincts.... I could find a safety later...but maybe not a lb like Foster. How much more would Foster add to the Browns defense, more thanan Adams/Peppers? beats me.or.... maybe Allen, at DE, might be the link to going far more 4-3, and going after opposingqb's more dramatically, which helps the secondary and the lb's ! Allen might be the bestDE in the draft, even with Garrett being considered the first to go in the draft. I just don'tknow if there's a kick ass safety in the second round.or... is there another DE that could also be a great addition to the pass rush later, and youadd an offensive lineman, which dramatically fixes your offense, too.To me, the Browns desperately need a fix at center - Elfein is a solid wall. He's been comparedby one NFL scout to...Zack Martin, Dallas Cowboys, who was picked 16th overall.It isn't that great a draft in olinemen, if Quentin Nelson and whatshisname, OT, both from ND,stay in school. Thinking that Elfein will be there at the top of the second for the Brownsis surely a bunch of bullhockey.But God Help Us All, if Joe Thomas gets hurt. That's why I listed Ramczyk - he could take overat RT, and flip to LT eventually. Or... maybe Ramczyk falls to the Browns in the second round.fat chance of that...?ah, if only we had three first round draft picks... dammit.right now... I'm thinking you have to go with the SS, or Reuben Foster...and maybe one of the olinemenwill fall to the second round. The Browns can't defend the pass, plain and simple. Way too easyto pitch and catch against them, and who knows if Joe Haden has lost a half step, or will comeback next year fast as ever.... gotta find a CB somewhere, but it's deep in cb's.right now... I'm thinking you have to go with the SS, or Reuben Foster...and maybe one of the olinemen will fall to the second round -
true. A few games, the secondary was embarrassed, badly.
I still like Joe Haden on one side, Jamar is more a nickle back....?
Maybe it's Reuben Foster. If one of the division rivals gets him, it
isn't going to be pretty.
-
Is Kindred not on roster?
-
Don't get the fascination with the NC quarterback. Might want to look to the northwest if youre serious about drafting a QB.
-
Don't get the fascination with the NC quarterback. Might want to look to the northwest if youre serious about drafting a QB.
Don't get the fascination with the NC quarterback. Might want to look to the northwest if youre serious about drafting a QB.
ha. You mean Brady Gustafson? He's an amazing kid....a late round project.
a poor man's Kosar, without the brilliance in reading defenses....
http://www.qbmecca.com/brady-gustafson-not-next-fcs-star-quarterback/
or, more likely, you mean Mason Rudolph... he's very interesting, but not pro ready....some talk
about him getting into the first round... he isn't ready either...
https://withthefirstpick.com/2016/08/16/2017-nfl-draft-oklahoma-state-mason-rudolph-scouting-report/
-
-
-
So, let's think about it, even though it's early as hell...
I was wondering if anybody else is arguing with themselves about it for the fun of it.
Here's the list I came up with, as to the possible/probable picks of the Browns in the first round.
(Hooker staying in school..?)Jamal Adams S, LSUJabril Peppers S, MichiganTrubisky Qb, North Carolina ***Pat Elfein C/G, Ohio Stateyan Ramczyk, OT, WisconsinQuincy Wilson CB, FloridaMarlon Humphrey, CB, AlabamaMarshon Lattimore**, CB, Ohio StateJonathan Allen, DE, AlabamaReuben Foster, ILB, AlabamaPICK ONE: The more I watch film of Trubisky, I pick him. At the top of the draft. Do you know, heis an inch taller and about the same weight as AARON RODGERS ? He has it all - especially the intangibles, sees the field,can make the throws, very, very accurate, especially on the run... just gets it. All of it. He is the dramatic fix for the qb position. I don't know if anybody else compares him to Rodgers,mebbe I'll catch hell for it...but that is what I think I'm thinkin. Root for the stupid cards and niners to win a few games.....PICK TWO: This pick is hell. The Browns desperately need a SS that kicks ass, cantake over a game, could be all pro material... with Hooker maybe staying in school, Adamsor Peppers may very well be a feared, well-known ass kicker for the Browns defense.(Not sure about Peppters as much.. maybe in coverage? Character fit?)But... so would Reuben Foster. The Browns desperately need a dominant lb play maker with speed,serious playmaking ability sideline to sideline, with great instincts.... I could find a safety later...but maybe not a lb like Foster. How much more would Foster add to the Browns defense, more thanan Adams/Peppers? beats me.or.... maybe Allen, at DE, might be the link to going far more 4-3, and going after opposingqb's more dramatically, which helps the secondary and the lb's ! Allen might be the bestDE in the draft, even with Garrett being considered the first to go in the draft. I just don'tknow if there's a kick ass safety in the second round.or... is there another DE that could also be a great addition to the pass rush later, and youadd an offensive lineman, which dramatically fixes your offense, too.To me, the Browns desperately need a fix at center - Elfein is a solid wall. He's been comparedby one NFL scout to...Zack Martin, Dallas Cowboys, who was picked 16th overall.It isn't that great a draft in olinemen, if Quentin Nelson and whatshisname, OT, both from ND,stay in school. Thinking that Elfein will be there at the top of the second for the Brownsis surely a bunch of bullhockey.But God Help Us All, if Joe Thomas gets hurt. That's why I listed Ramczyk - he could take overat RT, and flip to LT eventually. Or... maybe Ramczyk falls to the Browns in the second round.fat chance of that...?ah, if only we had three first round draft picks... dammit.right now... I'm thinking you have to go with the SS, or Reuben Foster...and maybe one of the olinemenwill fall to the second round. The Browns can't defend the pass, plain and simple. Way too easyto pitch and catch against them, and who knows if Joe Haden has lost a half step, or will comeback next year fast as ever.... gotta find a CB somewhere, but it's deep in cb's.right now... I'm thinking you have to go with the SS, or Reuben Foster...and maybe one of the olinemen will fall to the second roundright now... I'm thinking you have to go with the SS, or Reuben Foster...and maybe one of the olinemen will fall to the second round
Is Kindred not on roster?
And Campbell?
We drafted SS the last 2 years....so we have 2 younguns vying for that position already......
......lets see how the kids develop before we do it again....
-
right now... I'm thinking you have to go with the SS, or Reuben Foster...and maybe one of the olinemen will fall to the second round
Is Kindred not on roster?
And Campbell?
We drafted SS the last 2 years....so we have 2 younguns vying for that position already......
......lets see how the kids develop before we do it again....
-
right now... I'm thinking you have to go with the SS, or Reuben Foster...and maybe one of the olinemen will fall to the second round
Is Kindred not on roster?
And Campbell?
We drafted SS the last 2 years....so we have 2 younguns vying for that position already......
......lets see how the kids develop before we do it again....
And Campbell?
We drafted SS the last 2 years....so we have 2 younguns vying for that position already......
......lets see how the kids develop before we do it again....
well...http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns-team-depth-chart
I saw this -
Free Safety
1. Derrick Kindred
2 Tracy Howard
and
Strong Safety
1. Ed Reynolds
2. Ibraheim Campbell.
however, a better depth chart shows this
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/depth-chart.html
FS Ed Reynolds II Tracy Howard
SS Derrick Kindred Ibraheim Campbellso, you are correct - it's free safety, then. Personally, I still would draft a blue chip game changingsafety to play at SS, and move Campbell to FS again. Reynolds is smart, big, but notathletic enough to be starting. Tracy Howard is smaller, was a wr and cb in college... -
Give the DB's a pass rusher and see how much better they all get when they don't have to cover 5-7 seconds a play.
this is true, except all too often, they simply throw immediately to a wide open te or wr. Only superman could
get to the qb fast enough enough. If the Browns had their starting qb already - the Browns could go DE and S
in the first round.
too many stupid picks made by previous coaches and front offices. gilbert and manziel. dammit.
-
Campbell was never a free safety. He's another TJ Ward, Donte Whitner, big hitting strong safety than can come unstuck in coverage. Kindred is largely the same. Not simply a case of 'moving him to free safety'.
-
Very True, and I am wrong - but reading this..
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/derrick-kindred?id=2555540
makes me figure that Ed Reynolds isn't a FS either....
so, it IS free safety instead of strong safety.
...dammit. except when I read this, Campbell is a box safety, too...
just seems to be ...
dammit.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ibraheim-campbell?id=2552605
-
Very True, and I am wrong - but reading this..
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/derrick-kindred?id=2555540
makes me figure that Ed Reynolds isn't a FS either....
so, it IS free safety instead of strong safety.
...dammit. except when I read this, Campbell is a box safety, too...
just seems to be ...
dammit.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ibraheim-campbell?id=2552605
-
Give the DB's a pass rusher and see how much better they all get when they don't have to cover 5-7 seconds a play.
Brilliant! I'm betting that's why they say games are won or lost at the LOS. I just wish our FO understood that concept too.
-
Give the DB's a pass rusher and see how much better they all get when they don't have to cover 5-7 seconds a play.
Would be my preference as well. One dominant edge player would also do wonders for the rest of our DL's pass rush. Once you force most QBs to move off their spot, good things tend to happen.
Campbell was never a free safety. He's another TJ Ward, Donte Whitner, big hitting strong safety than can come unstuck in coverage. Kindred is largely the same. Not simply a case of 'moving him to free safety'.
And therein lies the problem...
More and more the trend is to have Safeties be more interchangeable, i.e., FSs that can fill and SSs that can cover. Easier to say than to find such talent, but it is what is demanded if you want to cover today's passing attacks. It's one of the elements that has separated great Ds from the pack in recent years.
I'm thinking that may be what cal is going after.
-
I'm not sure I see so much value in a specialised strong safety. I'd rather two free safeties who can tackle when necessary. Two Ed Reeds over two Troy Polamalus. The strong safety's job is to...deliver a big hit sometimes? Be an extra linebacker sometimes? Set the tone?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login

