Skip to content

Thinking about the draft, first two picks...arguing with myself...

The Browns Board
111 25 3.2k
  • @calfoxwc said:

    right now... I'm thinking you have to go with the SS, or Reuben Foster...and maybe one of the olinemen will fall to the second round

    @tiamat63 said:

    Is Kindred not on roster?

    And Campbell?

    We drafted SS the last 2 years....so we have 2 younguns vying for that position already......

    ......lets see how the kids develop before we do it again....

    @mudfly said:

    And Campbell?

    We drafted SS the last 2 years....so we have 2 younguns vying for that position already......

    ......lets see how the kids develop before we do it again....

    Give the DB's a pass rusher and see how much better they all get when they don't have to cover 5-7 seconds a play.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    right now... I'm thinking you have to go with the SS, or Reuben Foster...and maybe one of the olinemen will fall to the second round

    @tiamat63 said:

    Is Kindred not on roster?

    And Campbell?

    We drafted SS the last 2 years....so we have 2 younguns vying for that position already......

    ......lets see how the kids develop before we do it again....

    @mudfly said:

    And Campbell?

    We drafted SS the last 2 years....so we have 2 younguns vying for that position already......

    ......lets see how the kids develop before we do it again....

    well...http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns-team-depth-chart

    I saw this -

    Free Safety

    1. Derrick Kindred

    2 Tracy Howard

    and

    Strong Safety

    1. Ed Reynolds

    2. Ibraheim Campbell.

    however, a better depth chart shows this

    http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/depth-chart.html

    FS Ed Reynolds II Tracy Howard

    SS Derrick Kindred Ibraheim Campbell
    so, you are correct - it's free safety, then. Personally, I still would draft a blue chip game changing
    safety to play at SS, and move Campbell to FS again. Reynolds is smart, big, but not
    athletic enough to be starting. Tracy Howard is smaller, was a wr and cb in college...
  • @mudfly said:

    And Campbell?

    We drafted SS the last 2 years....so we have 2 younguns vying for that position already......

    ......lets see how the kids develop before we do it again....

    Give the DB's a pass rusher and see how much better they all get when they don't have to cover 5-7 seconds a play.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Give the DB's a pass rusher and see how much better they all get when they don't have to cover 5-7 seconds a play.

    this is true, except all too often, they simply throw immediately to a wide open te or wr. Only superman could

    get to the qb fast enough enough. If the Browns had their starting qb already - the Browns could go DE and S

    in the first round.

    too many stupid picks made by previous coaches and front offices. gilbert and manziel. dammit.

  • Campbell was never a free safety. He's another TJ Ward, Donte Whitner, big hitting strong safety than can come unstuck in coverage. Kindred is largely the same. Not simply a case of 'moving him to free safety'.

  • Very True, and I am wrong - but reading this..

    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/derrick-kindred?id=2555540

    makes me figure that Ed Reynolds isn't a FS either....

    so, it IS free safety instead of strong safety.

    ...dammit. except when I read this, Campbell is a box safety, too...

    just seems to be ...

    dammit.

    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ibraheim-campbell?id=2552605

  • Very True, and I am wrong - but reading this..

    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/derrick-kindred?id=2555540

    makes me figure that Ed Reynolds isn't a FS either....

    so, it IS free safety instead of strong safety.

    ...dammit. except when I read this, Campbell is a box safety, too...

    just seems to be ...

    dammit.

    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ibraheim-campbell?id=2552605

    @calfoxwc said:

    Very True, and I am wrong

    cd2b4793950aee02cab6808d9592838c1f6da982

  • @mudfly said:

    And Campbell?

    We drafted SS the last 2 years....so we have 2 younguns vying for that position already......

    ......lets see how the kids develop before we do it again....

    Give the DB's a pass rusher and see how much better they all get when they don't have to cover 5-7 seconds a play.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Give the DB's a pass rusher and see how much better they all get when they don't have to cover 5-7 seconds a play.

    Brilliant! I'm betting that's why they say games are won or lost at the LOS. I just wish our FO understood that concept too.

  • Eddie Jackson is a guy I have my eye on. He could be the next Earl Thomas.

  • @mudfly said:

    And Campbell?

    We drafted SS the last 2 years....so we have 2 younguns vying for that position already......

    ......lets see how the kids develop before we do it again....

    Give the DB's a pass rusher and see how much better they all get when they don't have to cover 5-7 seconds a play.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Give the DB's a pass rusher and see how much better they all get when they don't have to cover 5-7 seconds a play.

    Would be my preference as well. One dominant edge player would also do wonders for the rest of our DL's pass rush. Once you force most QBs to move off their spot, good things tend to happen.

    @gftchris said:

    Campbell was never a free safety. He's another TJ Ward, Donte Whitner, big hitting strong safety than can come unstuck in coverage. Kindred is largely the same. Not simply a case of 'moving him to free safety'.

    And therein lies the problem...

    More and more the trend is to have Safeties be more interchangeable, i.e., FSs that can fill and SSs that can cover. Easier to say than to find such talent, but it is what is demanded if you want to cover today's passing attacks. It's one of the elements that has separated great Ds from the pack in recent years.

    I'm thinking that may be what cal is going after.

  • I'm not sure I see so much value in a specialised strong safety. I'd rather two free safeties who can tackle when necessary. Two Ed Reeds over two Troy Polamalus. The strong safety's job is to...deliver a big hit sometimes? Be an extra linebacker sometimes? Set the tone?

  • The first two picks are torture right now because we simply need so much. As I've said before, a dominant pass rusher can completely change the game. To my immense surprise, I read that Ogbah actually ranks 8th in the league during the past six games in total QB "pressures". Now, he hasn't gotten home nearly enough, but that's also because he doesn't have anybody opposite of him creating the same pressure. Nassib isn't playing well, and that's upsetting. We still have Orchard on the roster, who would actually be playing right now, but since we designated RG III has the sole "I.R. player set to return", he isn't allowed back on the field. Really sucks because he need him, but whatever.

    Don't look now, but the addition of Reynolds, Boddy-Calhoun, Jamar Taylor, and Jamie Collins have actually tightened up our defense a bit. We're obviously not the 85 Bears, but it's better than it was. Especially plays going "over the top". Our biggest issue on defense is not getting sacks/pressure, and also not creating turnovers. Hell, the one turnover we just got was on special teams. Believe it or not, our OFFENSE is now the glaring issue. We can't score any points, and we sure as hell can't punch the ball in the end zone when we DO get close. It's really sad, and it's something that Hue Jackson has to figure out. With Greco out, we're completely screwed on the line. We need help everywhere.

    Honestly, there's nothing wrong with best player available. Chances are, that player will fit an immense need. I'm growing concerned about our team having the #1 pick, as we still have a chance to win a game, and if we do....the 49's will vault over us and take command of the first overall selection (their schedule gives them the tie-breaker). The GOOD news is, the 49's get to play the Bears this weekend, and that will be an EXCELLENT chance for them to win another game. If THAT happens, the first pick is all but ours. To my surprise, Kaeperick has played decently, and they just might sneak another win against the lowly Bears (God forbid WE get to play them).

    Our Eagles first round pick is ALL over the place right now. They are currently in a logjam with a dozen other teams sporting a similar or exact record. It will come down to tie-breakers, and I don't know their schedule strength compared to others. The Eagles also get to play the Bengals this week (I think), and they are REELING right now. As it stands right now, the Eagles pick is between 10-16 I believe. Every loss they incur now will DRASTICALLY help our pick, so here's to hoping. The Eagles shit the bed the rest of the season, and that pick could start looking REALLY NICE. If someone was to put a gun to my head and ask where I see their pick being...I'd say 16.

    So we have 1 and 16...let's work with that. We take Myles Garrett at 1, and then we take rangy inside linebacker Zach Cunningham from Vanderbilt. "But Jiggins, that's two defenders in the first round and we can't score any points!" Yes, that's true, but hold tight. We have two second rounders this year, and two next year. We will trade one second rounder this year, and one NEXT year (and probably other high rounders) for Jimmy Garoppolo from the Patriots. We have done business with them before, and I think we do it again. Garoppolo has starting experience, a quick release, and enough athletic ability to run the offense Hue wants. He also is intelligent, and won't hold the ball as long as others. This still gives us a second round pick in 2016, and with that, we take a Guard/Center Ethan Pocic from LSU. So here's what we have with our first and second round picks:

    1. Myles Garrett - blue chip pass rusher, best overall player in draft.

    2. Zach Cunningham - inside linebacker, speedy, rangy, with versatility.

    3. Jimmy Garoppolo - our new QB from Patriots. (42-60 for about 500 yards, 4 tds, 0 picks)

    4. Ethan Pocic - Guard/Center lineman, versatility and physicality from LSU.

    *mic drop*

    (yes, I'm a dreamer, and I'm crazy...but whatever)

  • Is orchard ready to play now? And he cant becausebwe brought robert the glass back? Omg....you couldnt write some of this dumb shit. We just have to have 4 active qb's i guess. Not like we need any help rushing the passer, nope we're good there.....?

  • Is orchard ready to play now? And he cant becausebwe brought robert the glass back? Omg....you couldnt write some of this dumb shit. We just have to have 4 active qb's i guess. Not like we need any help rushing the passer, nope we're good there.....?

    @clevfan4life said:

    Is orchard ready to play now? And he cant becausebwe brought robert the glass back? Omg....you couldnt write some of this dumb shit. We just have to have 4 active qb's i guess. Not like we need any help rushing the passer, nope we're good there.....

    I COULD be mistaken, but from what the radio guys said on the show yesterday, it sure sounded like he was either good to go, or VERY close to it. Like, he'd be back after the bye.

  • Don't get the fascination with the NC quarterback. Might want to look to the northwest if youre serious about drafting a QB.

    @miktoxic said:

    Don't get the fascination with the NC quarterback. Might want to look to the northwest if youre serious about drafting a QB.

    Have you seriously not been paying attention to not get it? Or watched the play of the Browns QBs?

  • He better play after the bye. He's one of the guys we need to make a decision onin the offseason. He's had a couple years now he aint no rook anymore. If we go to tje 4-3 full time next year i wouldnt mind seeing him with a few extra lbs playing his natural college position

  • Well if we end up with another QB I will assume Garrett and Allen are long gone by the time we get to our 2nd 1st round pick barring a trade up.

    Here are 4 edge rushers left I think any of which could help us, starting with Tim Williams of Bama and then either Lawson (Aub) or Barnett (Tenn) or Walker (FSU).

  • I'm not sure I see so much value in a specialised strong safety. I'd rather two free safeties who can tackle when necessary. Two Ed Reeds over two Troy Polamalus. The strong safety's job is to...deliver a big hit sometimes? Be an extra linebacker sometimes? Set the tone?

    @gftchris said:

    I'm not sure I see so much value in a specialised strong safety. I'd rather two free safeties who can tackle when necessary. Two Ed Reeds over two Troy Polamalus. The strong safety's job is to...deliver a big hit sometimes? Be an extra linebacker sometimes? Set the tone?

    A pair of rangy, ball-hawking FSs who can not just "tackle", but bring it? Count me in...

    The recent development of the LB/SS hybrid for tough TE match ups in pseudo nickel/dime packages can back fill any nostalgic I might have.

    Now we just need three names... maybe two, if Reynolds can handle the hybrid role...

    @jiggins7919 said:

    1. Myles Garrett - blue chip pass rusher, best overall player in draft.

    2. Zach Cunningham - inside linebacker, speedy, rangy, with versatility.

    3. Jimmy Garoppolo - our new QB from Patriots. (42-60 for about 500 yards, 4 tds, 0 picks)

    4. Ethan Pocic - Guard/Center lineman, versatility and physicality from LSU.

    You lost me at "Garoppolo"... but I was slipping away at Cunningham... and still torn towards Allen... then there's the LSU OL thing...

    So, come to think about it.... I guess you never had me. 😉

    Another quality write up tho...

  • The first two picks are torture right now because we simply need so much. As I've said before, a dominant pass rusher can completely change the game. To my immense surprise, I read that Ogbah actually ranks 8th in the league during the past six games in total QB "pressures". Now, he hasn't gotten home nearly enough, but that's also because he doesn't have anybody opposite of him creating the same pressure. Nassib isn't playing well, and that's upsetting. We still have Orchard on the roster, who would actually be playing right now, but since we designated RG III has the sole "I.R. player set to return", he isn't allowed back on the field. Really sucks because he need him, but whatever.

    Don't look now, but the addition of Reynolds, Boddy-Calhoun, Jamar Taylor, and Jamie Collins have actually tightened up our defense a bit. We're obviously not the 85 Bears, but it's better than it was. Especially plays going "over the top". Our biggest issue on defense is not getting sacks/pressure, and also not creating turnovers. Hell, the one turnover we just got was on special teams. Believe it or not, our OFFENSE is now the glaring issue. We can't score any points, and we sure as hell can't punch the ball in the end zone when we DO get close. It's really sad, and it's something that Hue Jackson has to figure out. With Greco out, we're completely screwed on the line. We need help everywhere.

    Honestly, there's nothing wrong with best player available. Chances are, that player will fit an immense need. I'm growing concerned about our team having the #1 pick, as we still have a chance to win a game, and if we do....the 49's will vault over us and take command of the first overall selection (their schedule gives them the tie-breaker). The GOOD news is, the 49's get to play the Bears this weekend, and that will be an EXCELLENT chance for them to win another game. If THAT happens, the first pick is all but ours. To my surprise, Kaeperick has played decently, and they just might sneak another win against the lowly Bears (God forbid WE get to play them).

    Our Eagles first round pick is ALL over the place right now. They are currently in a logjam with a dozen other teams sporting a similar or exact record. It will come down to tie-breakers, and I don't know their schedule strength compared to others. The Eagles also get to play the Bengals this week (I think), and they are REELING right now. As it stands right now, the Eagles pick is between 10-16 I believe. Every loss they incur now will DRASTICALLY help our pick, so here's to hoping. The Eagles shit the bed the rest of the season, and that pick could start looking REALLY NICE. If someone was to put a gun to my head and ask where I see their pick being...I'd say 16.

    So we have 1 and 16...let's work with that. We take Myles Garrett at 1, and then we take rangy inside linebacker Zach Cunningham from Vanderbilt. "But Jiggins, that's two defenders in the first round and we can't score any points!" Yes, that's true, but hold tight. We have two second rounders this year, and two next year. We will trade one second rounder this year, and one NEXT year (and probably other high rounders) for Jimmy Garoppolo from the Patriots. We have done business with them before, and I think we do it again. Garoppolo has starting experience, a quick release, and enough athletic ability to run the offense Hue wants. He also is intelligent, and won't hold the ball as long as others. This still gives us a second round pick in 2016, and with that, we take a Guard/Center Ethan Pocic from LSU. So here's what we have with our first and second round picks:

    1. Myles Garrett - blue chip pass rusher, best overall player in draft.

    2. Zach Cunningham - inside linebacker, speedy, rangy, with versatility.

    3. Jimmy Garoppolo - our new QB from Patriots. (42-60 for about 500 yards, 4 tds, 0 picks)

    4. Ethan Pocic - Guard/Center lineman, versatility and physicality from LSU.

    *mic drop*

    (yes, I'm a dreamer, and I'm crazy...but whatever)

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Honestly, there's nothing wrong with best player available. Chances are, that player will fit an immense need. I'm growing concerned about our team having the #1 pick, as we still have a chance to win a game, and if we do....the 49's will vault over us and take command of the first overall selection (their schedule gives them the tie-breaker). The GOOD news is, the 49's get to play the Bears this weekend, and that will be an EXCELLENT chance for them to win another game. If THAT happens, the first pick is all but ours. To my surprise, Kaeperick has played decently, and they just might sneak another win against the lowly Bears (God forbid WE get to play them).

    Exactly. DON'T trade away any picks, we'll have 4 of the top 65. If we hit on 3 of them, we'll be vastly improved. It wouldn't surprise me if they do take a QB with Philly's pick.

    Eagles could win all 5, or lose all 5 of their remaining games.

  • I think Cunningham will be long gone by the second first round pick.

    that would suck - he's outstanding.

    The Browns need a dramatic impact defensive player. If it weren't for needing Trubisky,

    you could pick Foster or Cunningham, and a top safety, maybe.

    It's enough to warp an NFL team's war rooms psyche.

  • and Jiggins - I'd go with that ... the best player available is a dramatic impact player regardless of position,

    if you draft smartly.