Thinking about the draft, first two picks...arguing with myself...
-
-
Don't get the fascination with the NC quarterback. Might want to look to the northwest if youre serious about drafting a QB.
ha. You mean Brady Gustafson? He's an amazing kid....a late round project.
a poor man's Kosar, without the brilliance in reading defenses....
http://www.qbmecca.com/brady-gustafson-not-next-fcs-star-quarterback/
or, more likely, you mean Mason Rudolph... he's very interesting, but not pro ready....some talk
about him getting into the first round... he isn't ready either...
https://withthefirstpick.com/2016/08/16/2017-nfl-draft-oklahoma-state-mason-rudolph-scouting-report/
ha. You mean Brady Gustafson? He's an amazing kid....a late round project.
a poor man's Kosar, without the brilliance in reading defenses....
http://www.qbmecca.com/brady-gustafson-not-next-fcs-star-quarterback/
or, more likely, you mean Mason Rudolph... he's very interesting, but not pro ready....some talk
about him getting into the first round... he isn't ready either...
https://withthefirstpick.com/2016/08/16/2017-nfl-draft-oklahoma-state-mason-rudolph-scouting-report/
Knock the Rudolph shit out. I need him back in Stillwater next year.
I've been doing this in every thread and will continue to do so until he decides to come back. Until then, I need everyone to do me a solid and keep his name out your mouths.
-Thanks from every OSU (the real one) grad.
-
sorry, I'll fix it immediately.
I love the idea of Elflein being a Cleveland Brown. If he would just not be
such a terrific player, he could fall to the second round. I'm interested
in Mr. Hoorta's idea about trading down with that second first round pick.
A third pick in the second round could be priceless. and it should still net us
Elfie.
-
ha. You mean Brady Gustafson? He's an amazing kid....a late round project.
a poor man's Kosar, without the brilliance in reading defenses....
http://www.qbmecca.com/brady-gustafson-not-next-fcs-star-quarterback/
or, more likely, you mean Mason Rudolph... he's very interesting, but not pro ready....some talk
about him getting into the first round... he isn't ready either...
https://withthefirstpick.com/2016/08/16/2017-nfl-draft-oklahoma-state-mason-rudolph-scouting-report/
Knock the Rudolph shit out. I need him back in Stillwater next year.
I've been doing this in every thread and will continue to do so until he decides to come back. Until then, I need everyone to do me a solid and keep his name out your mouths.
-Thanks from every OSU (the real one) grad.
-
for the sake of argument, let's say Hue Jackson is still high on Kessler/RG3. I think they would go Garrett with the #1 overall and use the Eagles pick on Elflein, I'd be surpised if Elflein was still available in the 2nd round. I'd feel sorry for any QB playing behind this O-line but as others have mentioned, having Bitonio back will be a big plus for next season assuming he comes back in top form. The O-line lacks depth so I hope they address it either through the draft or through free agency this offseason, an RB or TE that can block would be a bonus.
I also like Peppers to help our secondary but pass rush and o-line need to be straightened out first. Of course, no one knows what this front office will do, maybe analytics will tell them to draft a kicker with the #1 overall pick. Also need to see how RG3 does in the last few games of the season (assuming he lasts more than a quarter in his first game back) to see how high a value this front office will place on drafting a QB. I'm not expecting any miracles but who knows? Maybe he'll light it up and the Browns will go 4-12
or at least win enough games to get out of the #1 spot. -
As long as we draft Mahomes ll with our first pick, I'm fine taking a qb with our first pick.
As long as we draft Mahomes ll with our first pick, I'm fine taking a qb with our first pick.
I've seen a bit of Mahomes, highly mobile, great arm. Probably better in those respects than Trubiski, but in a conference that doesn't play defense. Has a nice fastball, but what about touch? LOL scrambles better than Johnny Football. BTW, looking at his stats he was chucking it up there an average of 49 times- per game.
Good size 6'3" 230. But a junior, he doesn't have to declare.
-
Until he declares he won't be rated by many boards. But since his HC is the same former OC for JFF, we all know the conversion to NFL QB will take time. What the hell it would earn us higher picks in the meantime.
-
Mahomes will probably declare due to the pitiful state of the QB class. Might not have a chance to go as high next year, especially if he blows it out at combine or pro day.
I think we need to get prepared for NOT having the number 1 pick this year. The 49's completely choked against the lowly Bears, and somehow managed to get their asses blown off by Matt Barkely. As I'm sure you all know, if the Browns SOMEHOW manage to win a game, we will no longer have the first pick due to strength of schedule. Now, us winning a game seems impossible, but statistically speaking, we're more likely to win one of these next four than to lose them all.
So, does having the second pick change ANYTHING? Well, anything but us taking Myles Garrett? The 49's are in desperate need of a QB, but I don't think they could pass up on Garrett, and the more realistic version in my weird head has them trading the pick to somebody who wants Garrett desperately.
So, Garrett is gone, and we have the second pick. Desmond Bryant is no spring chicken, and I could see us cutting ties with him and then drafting Jonathan Allen. I believe they both can play the same "technique", and Allen is a wildly productive player. Draft Allen, and then see how the draft plays out? If Mitch makes it past the first 7 or 8...try and trade up for him?
-
And...of course, the local product ..and #1 rated QB prospect will add to the reason for people to watch this team.
Not while he's playing from his hospital bed.

Not while he's playing from his hospital bed.

That will get fixed. JT and Bito back. A new OC. Greco. Maybe a new RT (Ramczyk?). I have confidence. Why? I don't know.
-
Mahomes will probably declare due to the pitiful state of the QB class. Might not have a chance to go as high next year, especially if he blows it out at combine or pro day.
I think we need to get prepared for NOT having the number 1 pick this year. The 49's completely choked against the lowly Bears, and somehow managed to get their asses blown off by Matt Barkely. As I'm sure you all know, if the Browns SOMEHOW manage to win a game, we will no longer have the first pick due to strength of schedule. Now, us winning a game seems impossible, but statistically speaking, we're more likely to win one of these next four than to lose them all.
So, does having the second pick change ANYTHING? Well, anything but us taking Myles Garrett? The 49's are in desperate need of a QB, but I don't think they could pass up on Garrett, and the more realistic version in my weird head has them trading the pick to somebody who wants Garrett desperately.
So, Garrett is gone, and we have the second pick. Desmond Bryant is no spring chicken, and I could see us cutting ties with him and then drafting Jonathan Allen. I believe they both can play the same "technique", and Allen is a wildly productive player. Draft Allen, and then see how the draft plays out? If Mitch makes it past the first 7 or 8...try and trade up for him?
Mahomes will probably declare due to the pitiful state of the QB class. Might not have a chance to go as high next year, especially if he blows it out at combine or pro day.
I think we need to get prepared for NOT having the number 1 pick this year. The 49's completely choked against the lowly Bears, and somehow managed to get their asses blown off by Matt Barkely. As I'm sure you all know, if the Browns SOMEHOW manage to win a game, we will no longer have the first pick due to strength of schedule. Now, us winning a game seems impossible, but statistically speaking, we're more likely to win one of these next four than to lose them all.
So, does having the second pick change ANYTHING? Well, anything but us taking Myles Garrett? The 49's are in desperate need of a QB, but I don't think they could pass up on Garrett, and the more realistic version in my weird head has them trading the pick to somebody who wants Garrett desperately.
So, Garrett is gone, and we have the second pick. Desmond Bryant is no spring chicken, and I could see us cutting ties with him and then drafting Jonathan Allen. I believe they both can play the same "technique", and Allen is a wildly productive player. Draft Allen, and then see how the draft plays out? If Mitch makes it past the first 7 or 8...try and trade up for him?
OK, let's say that scenario plays out 49ers draft #1, we draft #2. Unless San Fran views Garrett as another Reggie White or Bruce Smith- they're taking a QB, unless they get a sell the ranch deal from another team. Kap played so crappy against the Bears he got benched, and seriously? Blaine Gabbert? We could take Garrett or Allen- but it will depend on how R Glass plays the last couple of games- assuming he plays at all. The thought has crossed my mind how much the Niners would want to extract from the Browns to swap places. (we won't- we either get the top qb or defender assuming we don't trade down again) Next in line, the two win Jags are likely to lose out, but they have Bortles. After that, you can bet the Bears and Jets will be interested in a QB, but will they want to move up? It's a long way down to the next team that might be in the mood to draft a qb in the first round.
PS- my update on strength of schedule- Browns opponents are now 11 wins tougher than the 49ers. It's just about a virtual lock should we tie with wins- San Francisco will pick first. Please SF- beat the Jets this week.
-
Yeah, unless the 49's are going to try the almost impossible route of "starting QB through free agency", it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to imagine them NOT taking a QB. I think the ONLY way they don't take a QB at #1 (or #2), is if they trade back a couple picks with a team that has a QB, but desperately wants somebody slotted to go very high. So maybe the Panthers want to trade with them, and they get draft picks and then take Watson...something like that. I could definitely see Chip Kelly falling in love with Watson.
But yeah...you're right. Unless they have a guy targeted in the second round, it's very hard to imagine them not going QB with their first pick. I think our biggest hope is that they covet Kizer over Mitch. I don't see it happening, nor has Kizer committed to the draft, but it's possible. The QB rankings ALWAYS change during the next 4-5 months. There are no Browns fans that expect any of our QB's to play well during these last weeks. Hue Jackson and our new "analytics" front office had one draft and one round of free agency to figure the QB situation out, and by all accounts, they have failed. They get it right in 2017, or else they might all be sent packing. Fair or not fair.
-
I wonder if we passon another Ezekiel or Joey Bosa this year ?
One is a yardage machine in Dallas the other is a disrupter in San Diego
-
I wonder if we passon another Ezekiel or Joey Bosa this year ?
One is a yardage machine in Dallas the other is a disrupter in San Diego
I wonder if we passon another Ezekiel or Joey Bosa this year ?
He's good. But Dallas has a passing game which helps the run game greatly. (and they have an OL) He would not be the same yardage machine here.
unless the 49's are going to try the almost impossible route of "starting QB through free agency", it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to imagine them NOT taking a QB
They won't trade their pick. They'll take the QB.....because they know they need one badly.....and because they want to win over there. We, on the other hand, have a plan......
-
Yeah, passing on Bosa is looking more and more like another painful lesson in trading down. I guess it all comes down to what we did with the extra picks, but Nassib hasn't blown up anyone's skirt lately, and Coleman's injury derailed his progress. Nobody is calling anybody a "bust", but wouldn't it be nice to have a rookie like Bosa who blows people away? Like, for once?
These last four games are VERY important to many of our rookies, and we MUST have some positive play from them. The rookies are mostly healthy (finally!), and some of them have started to come on. Look at Devalve and Higgins from last week. They didn't "light it up", but they made a few plays and left the coaches with wanting to see more. Ogbah was also "around the QB" often, but needs to figure out ways of closing the deal. It would help if Nassib picked it up and provided pressure from the opposite side. He's not a rookie, but I'd love to see Shelton grab two more sacks as well. His play has been a REAL surprise, and people are starting to notice. I also want to see more balls to Coleman, and desperately want to see him make the plays. We need to see that "playmaker" ability he was known for, and find SOME way of getting him the ball in the open field.
If we can get our rookies (or most of them) finishing the season on a strong note, I think that would go a long way in strengthening our momentum after an otherwise miserable year.
-
Yeah, passing on Bosa is looking more and more like another painful lesson in trading down. I guess it all comes down to what we did with the extra picks, but Nassib hasn't blown up anyone's skirt lately, and Coleman's injury derailed his progress. Nobody is calling anybody a "bust", but wouldn't it be nice to have a rookie like Bosa who blows people away? Like, for once?
These last four games are VERY important to many of our rookies, and we MUST have some positive play from them. The rookies are mostly healthy (finally!), and some of them have started to come on. Look at Devalve and Higgins from last week. They didn't "light it up", but they made a few plays and left the coaches with wanting to see more. Ogbah was also "around the QB" often, but needs to figure out ways of closing the deal. It would help if Nassib picked it up and provided pressure from the opposite side. He's not a rookie, but I'd love to see Shelton grab two more sacks as well. His play has been a REAL surprise, and people are starting to notice. I also want to see more balls to Coleman, and desperately want to see him make the plays. We need to see that "playmaker" ability he was known for, and find SOME way of getting him the ball in the open field.
If we can get our rookies (or most of them) finishing the season on a strong note, I think that would go a long way in strengthening our momentum after an otherwise miserable year.
Yeah, passing on Bosa is looking more and more like another painful lesson in trading down. I guess it all comes down to what we did with the extra picks, but Nassib hasn't blown up anyone's skirt lately, and Coleman's injury derailed his progress. Nobody is calling anybody a "bust", but wouldn't it be nice to have a rookie like Bosa who blows people away? Like, for once?
Just watch us pass on Garrett. It's the Browns Way.
-
still don't want Bosa. He isn't a fit in the lockerroom, etc. and he's injured....
http://www.sbnation.com/2016/12/4/13837370/joey-bosa-leg-injury-chargers-buccaneers
and Elliot would have been awesome to draft... but he wouldn't be the huge success behind
the Browns oline, and they had a lot of needs.
The ...grass....is....not....always......greener......on......the.....other......side.....of...the...fence.
-
Yeah, passing on Bosa is looking more and more like another painful lesson in trading down. I guess it all comes down to what we did with the extra picks, but Nassib hasn't blown up anyone's skirt lately, and Coleman's injury derailed his progress. Nobody is calling anybody a "bust", but wouldn't it be nice to have a rookie like Bosa who blows people away? Like, for once?
Just watch us pass on Garrett. It's the Browns Way.
Just watch us pass on Garrett. It's the Browns Way.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-jonathan-allen-myles-garrett-first-2017-mock-draft/
The one thing about Garret - his stats aren't as good vs SEC competition as Allens. And, the one thing Garrett needs to
work on, is getting off blocks.
Meanwhile, Allen is unblockable, can come from any angle, any side. There are better blockers in the pros.
I think PFF has it right. Allen is the better pick.
-
I'm cool with either. From a scheme fit perspective, Allen seems perfect for a 3-4 DE, 5-tech like Des Bryant, while Garrett looks, like Bosa, to be a more natural fit as a 4-3 DE.
A DL of Allen, Shelton and Ogbah could do a lot of damage.
-
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000669642/article/first-look-scouting-alabama-dl-jonathan-allen
or, some think Allen is better suited to the inside... either one would be a great addition. But the dline is a strength.
This Browns staff will know the right guy, and it won't be because of magazine rankings.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login