Skip to content

Thinking about the draft, first two picks...arguing with myself...

The Browns Board
111 25 3.2k
  • Mahomes will probably declare due to the pitiful state of the QB class. Might not have a chance to go as high next year, especially if he blows it out at combine or pro day.

    I think we need to get prepared for NOT having the number 1 pick this year. The 49's completely choked against the lowly Bears, and somehow managed to get their asses blown off by Matt Barkely. As I'm sure you all know, if the Browns SOMEHOW manage to win a game, we will no longer have the first pick due to strength of schedule. Now, us winning a game seems impossible, but statistically speaking, we're more likely to win one of these next four than to lose them all.

    So, does having the second pick change ANYTHING? Well, anything but us taking Myles Garrett? The 49's are in desperate need of a QB, but I don't think they could pass up on Garrett, and the more realistic version in my weird head has them trading the pick to somebody who wants Garrett desperately.

    So, Garrett is gone, and we have the second pick. Desmond Bryant is no spring chicken, and I could see us cutting ties with him and then drafting Jonathan Allen. I believe they both can play the same "technique", and Allen is a wildly productive player. Draft Allen, and then see how the draft plays out? If Mitch makes it past the first 7 or 8...try and trade up for him?

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Mahomes will probably declare due to the pitiful state of the QB class. Might not have a chance to go as high next year, especially if he blows it out at combine or pro day.

    I think we need to get prepared for NOT having the number 1 pick this year. The 49's completely choked against the lowly Bears, and somehow managed to get their asses blown off by Matt Barkely. As I'm sure you all know, if the Browns SOMEHOW manage to win a game, we will no longer have the first pick due to strength of schedule. Now, us winning a game seems impossible, but statistically speaking, we're more likely to win one of these next four than to lose them all.

    So, does having the second pick change ANYTHING? Well, anything but us taking Myles Garrett? The 49's are in desperate need of a QB, but I don't think they could pass up on Garrett, and the more realistic version in my weird head has them trading the pick to somebody who wants Garrett desperately.

    So, Garrett is gone, and we have the second pick. Desmond Bryant is no spring chicken, and I could see us cutting ties with him and then drafting Jonathan Allen. I believe they both can play the same "technique", and Allen is a wildly productive player. Draft Allen, and then see how the draft plays out? If Mitch makes it past the first 7 or 8...try and trade up for him?

    OK, let's say that scenario plays out 49ers draft #1, we draft #2. Unless San Fran views Garrett as another Reggie White or Bruce Smith- they're taking a QB, unless they get a sell the ranch deal from another team. Kap played so crappy against the Bears he got benched, and seriously? Blaine Gabbert? We could take Garrett or Allen- but it will depend on how R Glass plays the last couple of games- assuming he plays at all. The thought has crossed my mind how much the Niners would want to extract from the Browns to swap places. (we won't- we either get the top qb or defender assuming we don't trade down again) Next in line, the two win Jags are likely to lose out, but they have Bortles. After that, you can bet the Bears and Jets will be interested in a QB, but will they want to move up? It's a long way down to the next team that might be in the mood to draft a qb in the first round.

    PS- my update on strength of schedule- Browns opponents are now 11 wins tougher than the 49ers. It's just about a virtual lock should we tie with wins- San Francisco will pick first. Please SF- beat the Jets this week.

  • Yeah, unless the 49's are going to try the almost impossible route of "starting QB through free agency", it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to imagine them NOT taking a QB. I think the ONLY way they don't take a QB at #1 (or #2), is if they trade back a couple picks with a team that has a QB, but desperately wants somebody slotted to go very high. So maybe the Panthers want to trade with them, and they get draft picks and then take Watson...something like that. I could definitely see Chip Kelly falling in love with Watson.

    But yeah...you're right. Unless they have a guy targeted in the second round, it's very hard to imagine them not going QB with their first pick. I think our biggest hope is that they covet Kizer over Mitch. I don't see it happening, nor has Kizer committed to the draft, but it's possible. The QB rankings ALWAYS change during the next 4-5 months. There are no Browns fans that expect any of our QB's to play well during these last weeks. Hue Jackson and our new "analytics" front office had one draft and one round of free agency to figure the QB situation out, and by all accounts, they have failed. They get it right in 2017, or else they might all be sent packing. Fair or not fair.

  • I wonder if we passon another Ezekiel or Joey Bosa this year ?

    One is a yardage machine in Dallas the other is a disrupter in San Diego

  • I wonder if we passon another Ezekiel or Joey Bosa this year ?

    One is a yardage machine in Dallas the other is a disrupter in San Diego

    @darren15 said:

    I wonder if we passon another Ezekiel or Joey Bosa this year ?

    He's good. But Dallas has a passing game which helps the run game greatly. (and they have an OL) He would not be the same yardage machine here.

    unless the 49's are going to try the almost impossible route of "starting QB through free agency", it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to imagine them NOT taking a QB

    They won't trade their pick. They'll take the QB.....because they know they need one badly.....and because they want to win over there. We, on the other hand, have a plan......

  • Yeah, passing on Bosa is looking more and more like another painful lesson in trading down. I guess it all comes down to what we did with the extra picks, but Nassib hasn't blown up anyone's skirt lately, and Coleman's injury derailed his progress. Nobody is calling anybody a "bust", but wouldn't it be nice to have a rookie like Bosa who blows people away? Like, for once?

    These last four games are VERY important to many of our rookies, and we MUST have some positive play from them. The rookies are mostly healthy (finally!), and some of them have started to come on. Look at Devalve and Higgins from last week. They didn't "light it up", but they made a few plays and left the coaches with wanting to see more. Ogbah was also "around the QB" often, but needs to figure out ways of closing the deal. It would help if Nassib picked it up and provided pressure from the opposite side. He's not a rookie, but I'd love to see Shelton grab two more sacks as well. His play has been a REAL surprise, and people are starting to notice. I also want to see more balls to Coleman, and desperately want to see him make the plays. We need to see that "playmaker" ability he was known for, and find SOME way of getting him the ball in the open field.

    If we can get our rookies (or most of them) finishing the season on a strong note, I think that would go a long way in strengthening our momentum after an otherwise miserable year.

  • Yeah, passing on Bosa is looking more and more like another painful lesson in trading down. I guess it all comes down to what we did with the extra picks, but Nassib hasn't blown up anyone's skirt lately, and Coleman's injury derailed his progress. Nobody is calling anybody a "bust", but wouldn't it be nice to have a rookie like Bosa who blows people away? Like, for once?

    These last four games are VERY important to many of our rookies, and we MUST have some positive play from them. The rookies are mostly healthy (finally!), and some of them have started to come on. Look at Devalve and Higgins from last week. They didn't "light it up", but they made a few plays and left the coaches with wanting to see more. Ogbah was also "around the QB" often, but needs to figure out ways of closing the deal. It would help if Nassib picked it up and provided pressure from the opposite side. He's not a rookie, but I'd love to see Shelton grab two more sacks as well. His play has been a REAL surprise, and people are starting to notice. I also want to see more balls to Coleman, and desperately want to see him make the plays. We need to see that "playmaker" ability he was known for, and find SOME way of getting him the ball in the open field.

    If we can get our rookies (or most of them) finishing the season on a strong note, I think that would go a long way in strengthening our momentum after an otherwise miserable year.

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Yeah, passing on Bosa is looking more and more like another painful lesson in trading down. I guess it all comes down to what we did with the extra picks, but Nassib hasn't blown up anyone's skirt lately, and Coleman's injury derailed his progress. Nobody is calling anybody a "bust", but wouldn't it be nice to have a rookie like Bosa who blows people away? Like, for once?

    Just watch us pass on Garrett. It's the Browns Way.

  • still don't want Bosa. He isn't a fit in the lockerroom, etc. and he's injured....

    http://www.sbnation.com/2016/12/4/13837370/joey-bosa-leg-injury-chargers-buccaneers

    and Elliot would have been awesome to draft... but he wouldn't be the huge success behind

    the Browns oline, and they had a lot of needs.

    The ...grass....is....not....always......greener......on......the.....other......side.....of...the...fence.

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    Yeah, passing on Bosa is looking more and more like another painful lesson in trading down. I guess it all comes down to what we did with the extra picks, but Nassib hasn't blown up anyone's skirt lately, and Coleman's injury derailed his progress. Nobody is calling anybody a "bust", but wouldn't it be nice to have a rookie like Bosa who blows people away? Like, for once?

    Just watch us pass on Garrett. It's the Browns Way.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Just watch us pass on Garrett. It's the Browns Way.

    http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/117798/the-sec-dl-who-will-have-the-best-2016-is-myles-garrett-vs-jonathan-allen

    https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-jonathan-allen-myles-garrett-first-2017-mock-draft/

    The one thing about Garret - his stats aren't as good vs SEC competition as Allens. And, the one thing Garrett needs to

    work on, is getting off blocks.

    Meanwhile, Allen is unblockable, can come from any angle, any side. There are better blockers in the pros.

    I think PFF has it right. Allen is the better pick.

  • I'm cool with either. From a scheme fit perspective, Allen seems perfect for a 3-4 DE, 5-tech like Des Bryant, while Garrett looks, like Bosa, to be a more natural fit as a 4-3 DE.

    A DL of Allen, Shelton and Ogbah could do a lot of damage.

  • In a 4-3 Allen is an inside guy I'm sure. In a 3-4 though, no way is he a nose tackle.

  • still don't want Bosa. He isn't a fit in the lockerroom, etc. and he's injured....

    http://www.sbnation.com/2016/12/4/13837370/joey-bosa-leg-injury-chargers-buccaneers

    and Elliot would have been awesome to draft... but he wouldn't be the huge success behind

    the Browns oline, and they had a lot of needs.

    The ...grass....is....not....always......greener......on......the.....other......side.....of...the...fence.

    @calfoxwc said:

    still don't want Bosa. He isn't a fit in the lockerroom, etc. and he's injured....

    http://www.sbnation.com/2016/12/4/13837370/joey-bosa-leg-injury-chargers-buccaneers

    and Elliot would have been awesome to draft... but he wouldn't be the huge success behind

    the Browns oline, and they had a lot of needs.

    The ...grass....is....not....always......greener......on......the.....other......side.....of...the...fence.

    Not a locker room fit.....?

    Too talented?

    At the moment I prefer Allen to Garrett but that can change in time.

  • In a 4-3 Allen is an inside guy I'm sure. In a 3-4 though, no way is he a nose tackle.

    @gftchris said:

    In a 4-3 Allen is an inside guy I'm sure. In a 3-4 though, no way is he a nose tackle.

    There are other spots along the interior line that aren't a 0tech. Also Desmond plays the 3spot primarily.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Just watch us pass on Garrett. It's the Browns Way.

    http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/117798/the-sec-dl-who-will-have-the-best-2016-is-myles-garrett-vs-jonathan-allen

    https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-jonathan-allen-myles-garrett-first-2017-mock-draft/

    The one thing about Garret - his stats aren't as good vs SEC competition as Allens. And, the one thing Garrett needs to

    work on, is getting off blocks.

    Meanwhile, Allen is unblockable, can come from any angle, any side. There are better blockers in the pros.

    I think PFF has it right. Allen is the better pick.

    @calfoxwc said:

    http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/117798/the-sec-dl-who-will-have-the-best-2016-is-myles-garrett-vs-jonathan-allen

    https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-jonathan-allen-myles-garrett-first-2017-mock-draft/

    The one thing about Garret - his stats aren't as good vs SEC competition as Allens. And, the one thing Garrett needs to

    work on, is getting off blocks.

    Meanwhile, Allen is unblockable, can come from any angle, any side. There are better blockers in the pros.

    I think PFF has it right. Allen is the better pick.

    Agreed. And I really don't think Myles likes football much.

  • @gftchris said:

    In a 4-3 Allen is an inside guy I'm sure. In a 3-4 though, no way is he a nose tackle.

    There are other spots along the interior line that aren't a 0tech. Also Desmond plays the 3spot primarily.

    @tiamat63 said:

    There are other spots along the interior line that aren't a 0tech. Also Desmond plays the 3spot primarily.

    Fair enough - I guess what I'm saying in terms of tech is that he's at least a 2?

  • Also tend to lean Allen at this point... seems made for 3-4 DE and can slide inside in four-man fronts for nickel and dime packages.

    Garrett carries conversion risk and overwhelmingly lines up at RDE putting him opposite NFL level LTs.

  • Which would you be happier with, assuming we stay 3-4?

    Option 1

    Allen - Shelton - Ogbah

    Collins - Kirksey - Davis - Orchard

    or

    Option 2

    Ogbah - Shelton - Meder

    Collins - Kirksey - Davis - Garrett

    ?

  • Option 3:

    Allen - Shelton - Bryant

    Orchard - Kirksey - Davis - Collins

  • I think we need to concentrate on drafting some wide receivers this April ....

  • Option 3 includes no Ogbah?