Skip to content

Browns at the bye, tracking the 2016 Draft Class

The Browns Board
6 5 453
  • Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Since we don't have to worry about another loss this Sunday, this will give an opportunity to look at the small body of work by this year's rookie class.

    Surprisingly, I agree with just about everything in this article. . .

    http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2016/12/02/browns-at-the-bye-tracking-the-2016-draft-class/#.WEGaI1cqCM0.twitter

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #2

    Yep.....it's pretty spot on.....I have my draft class evaluation done and was holding on to it cause I thought it would create a bunch of sadness around here.....and many would say "wait" till the seasons over, as if they'd get good all of a sudden.....(last 4 games)

    But now......I think it's time as well.....

  • Yep.....it's pretty spot on.....I have my draft class evaluation done and was holding on to it cause I thought it would create a bunch of sadness around here.....and many would say "wait" till the seasons over, as if they'd get good all of a sudden.....(last 4 games)

    But now......I think it's time as well.....

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #3

    @mudfly said:

    Yep.....it's pretty spot on.....I have my draft class evaluation done and was holding on to it cause I thought it would create a bunch of sadness around here.....and many would say "wait" till the seasons over, as if they'd get good all of a sudden.....(last 4 games)

    But now......I think it's time as well.....

    I would love to read it Mud!
  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #4

    From the article:

    Overall analysis on the class: Some potential at the top and middle but disappointing overall early returns. With 14 selections made, more than 3 or 4 should jump off the page and if that is going to be the rate of return, the rebuild – although well thought out – has minimal chance of succeeding. But it is entirely too early to pass final judgement. Hue Jackson and his coaching staff have their work cut out for them.

    I have no significant issues with the individual player analyses, but the above conclusion leaves me cold. Sure it'd be nice to have 5... 6... 7... or more picks out of 14 "jump off the page", but it's damn nice to to have 4 do it for a change.

    Teams build and sustain rosters on 3 or 4 winning picks a year. If it took 14 picks for us to do it, so be it... at least it was done. And it was done primarily with Days 1 and 2 picks. That we went 1-ish for 8 on Day 3 should not be a shocker.

    This was the first time for our current FO. Long ago I talked about this draft providing a feedback loop for their process. That info... the FO's 2016 experience... should be a springboard for better tomorrows if ours is a learning organization... and I think it is.

    Looks like 13 picks in 2017... let's see if they can hit on at least 5.

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #5

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #6

    In other words.....So far, a highly unproductive draft. In time perhaps a few solid players, but no superstars....or even just stars...unless some pick up their games.

    And as a portent: Browns must do much better in this next draft.