Skip to content

Alex the Mack

The Browns Board
45 18 3.3k
  • http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2009/...2008-highlights

    Enjoy the vid. Nice pickup by the Browns.

  • GREAT VIDEO !

    Mack is a powerhouse. We've been needing a center that can dominate.

    His outstanding power, and surprising quick feet and balance, enables him

    to knock his guy all the way back 4 yds into the end zone, or shove his guy

    into the turf and then block another guy...

    He will be to the center position that Joe Thomas is to the LT position.

    Butt-kickin.

  • WOW ! Forget "Mack the Knife" How about:

    MACK THE HAMMER !!

    I can,t wait for Howie Dawg and my annual pilgrimage to see the Chargers game in December.

    GO BROWNS !!

  • Only one highlight from the USC game. Unfortunately, he had more than one "lowlight" during that game.

    Still think he was a great pick, but - like all players - he's not as good as his highlights.

  • Before the draft I would have been thrilled if you would have told me we were getting Mac or Wood, so in my mind this was a great pick.

  • Highlight reels are for highlights and that was very impressive. Fast off the snap, gets to the second level, pulls well, quick feet and pancake blocks from a center.

    Yep, I think he's a bit of an upgrade.

  • Yes, highlight reels are for highlights...but my concerns about Mack's strength developed based on what I saw in the USC game & at the Senior Bowl. So I thought it was interesting that he didn't have many highlight plays in that game.

    Still think he could be a good to great center, but the meager 20 reps he put up at his pro day didn't dispel those doubts. That, along with being in a pissy mood, resulted in what I posted above.

  • Mack 'n Squash

  • he's the best run blocker out of any lineman coming out of the draft but struggles at times in pass protection. It seems like when in pass protection he takes a step back and gets to high, if they can teach him to keep the same leverage pass blocking as he does run blocking he'll be ok

  • This may be a surprise to some, but don't be shocked if he starts at guard this year.

    I'd prefer he step right in and play center, but if the brass thinks it is better for Fraley to mentor him for a year while he gets acclimated at guard they'll do it.

    Also, since it's that time of year for combine numbers, keep in mind that while bench pressing is a barometer of a guy's overall strength, it is not a total depiction of one's power and leverage.

  • This may be a surprise to some, but don't be shocked if he starts at guard this year.

    I'd prefer he step right in and play center, but if the brass thinks it is better for Fraley to mentor him for a year while he gets acclimated at guard they'll do it.

    Also, since it's that time of year for combine numbers, keep in mind that while bench pressing is a barometer of a guy's overall strength, it is not a total depiction of one's power and leverage.

    @riffer-x said:

    Also, since it's that time of year for combine numbers, keep in mind that while bench pressing is a barometer of a guy's overall strength, it is not a total depiction of one's power and leverage.

    Yes, it's not a total depiction. For that, you go to the film and scouting reports like this one:

    Run Blocking: Mack generates adequate power to drive and stay on a defender. When he stays on his feet, he can consistently work to finish. He shows inconsistency with his redirection skills and needs to develop better hip snap working in space, as this is where he will revert to bending at the waist and this allows defenders to get into his body and knock him off stride too often (see 2008 Maryland and Southern California games). He is a much better blocker in closed quarters, as he will get a bit "antsy" trying to make contact against second-level defenders, where he is more prone to over-extend and get washed out of the play. His low center of gravity has seen him have great success rooting out the defender, as tailback Jahvid Best made a very nice living of hitting the inside rush lanes between center and guard for long gains on the ground in 2008 (see 2008 Michigan State, Arizona, Washington State and Arizona State games), thanks to Mack's ability to keep his pads down and leverage. What separates him from most centers is his good understanding of angles and positioning. He is a productive blocker in-line whose balance and leverage allows him to quickly get in the way of a defender. The only time he struggles is when he has to stand up and face up to the larger defensive tackle, due to his lack of lower body strength (good, just not great). When he stays at a low pad level and delivers his strong hand punch, he will consistently gain leverage. Even though he does not have the brute power to get movement vs. the bigger defenders, he uses his hand placement and base to maintain position and sustain: GRADE: 7.4

    Mack's said to have vastly improved his playing strength by putting in a lot of work in the weight room between his junior and senior seasons. Hopefully, he'll only continue to improve at the next level.

  • I always take the defensive when bench pressing is used because the bench is one of my weakest areas in strength. I know it's a different level but in HS I used to throw around a ton of guys bigger and better at the bench. I got into this discussion big time when Lendale White came out and guys proclaimed him as weak based on his bench. Different position to be sure, but my point is some guys' core strength greatly supersedes their bench. The fact that Mack can only get stronger can only enhance his ability to take on the Hampton and Ngata's of the league.

    Really, I don't expect anybody to throw around those kind of guys, ya just can't get caved into the backfield like Faine and Fraley and even Fowler have (hey that's 3 F's WTF?) If you're a good all around player and can stand your ground that's all you can ask for in a center, basically a guy who doesn't always have to have help doubling. Oh, and IQ can't hurt.

    Great scouting report Alo.

  • This may have been mentioned and I apologize to any one who did, But my brother told me tonight that he won the Draddy.

    I had no idea. That's impressive.

  • This may have been mentioned and I apologize to any one who did, But my brother told me tonight that he won the Draddy.

    I had no idea. That's impressive.

    @oldcrow1945 said:

    This may have been mentioned and I apologize to any one who did, But my brother told me tonight that he won the Draddy.

    I had no idea. That's impressive.

    No offense Crow but how the hell did you miss that tidbit with all your scouting reports? Hell yeah the kid's smart, and outside of QB the center should be the smartest guy on the team IMO.

  • How do you embed these vimeo vids?

  • How do you embed these vimeo vids?

    @oconrecon said:

    How do you embed these vimeo vids?

    I would assume like you embed the youtube video (check the pinned thread on it).

    So here is the example:

    [ vimeo] 4397805 [ /vimeo]

    I added spaces so you could see it...just don't have the extra spaces.

    Youtube is done like:

    [ youtube] 34534534 [ /youtube] and without the spaces.

  • This may have been mentioned and I apologize to any one who did, But my brother told me tonight that he won the Draddy.

    I had no idea. That's impressive.

    @oldcrow1945 said:

    This may have been mentioned and I apologize to any one who did, But my brother told me tonight that he won the Draddy.

    I had no idea. That's impressive.

    BTW Crow, the runner-up of the Draddy? A certain Buck-eye wide-out we drafted. Smart crop this year, no doubt.
  • How can you not like this guy?

    mackladies.jpg

  • @oldcrow1945 said:

    This may have been mentioned and I apologize to any one who did, But my brother told me tonight that he won the Draddy.

    I had no idea. That's impressive.

    BTW Crow, the runner-up of the Draddy? A certain Buck-eye wide-out we drafted. Smart crop this year, no doubt.

    88fingerslewy said:

    BTW Crow, the runner-up of the Draddy? A certain Buck-eye wide-out we drafted. Smart crop this year, no doubt.

    Wow.....Didn't know that either. I think I have to start expanding my horizons.

  • Living here in Western Pennsylvania I listen to talk shows, read the local print media and get my dose of "bar room" wisdom from the Steeler faithful... Prior to the draft it was widely predicted that the Steelers would draft Mack.....

    He was #1 on their draft board and the talking heads were really pissed and ranted on & on when we drafted him...

    You have to give kudo's to Fraley when you look at how he became our starter once LeCharles went down....

    He went from our 4th or 5th choice to being voted a team captain... Fraley survived on technique and veteran savy last year because physically he was over matched by the new breed of nose tackles and quite truthfully he's getting a bit long in the tooth....

    A tremendous upgrade in my opinion....

    T.Dawg