Why are you a fan?
-
This has been discussed here before a few times, but it's always a good read.
My dad took me down to my 1st game in 1971, the Browns beat Cincy 31-27 and I was hooked.
By the time I was in high school, me and a few of my friends bought season tickets in the bleachers (1979) at a huge cost of $66 lol...right under the goal posts. The seats opened up because angry fans threw a bunch of stuff on the field vs Houston after a horrible call by the refs (Ken Burrough jumped over Clarence Scott,and of course they called the Browns for pass interference). Basically, fans were pelted with debris/beer bottles and didn't want to sit there anymore.
Still a season ticket holder, and yes, I will be renewing.
How have I handled the crap since the return?- Not very well, although I figured this year would be awful...never expected to be 0-12 though. The thing that bothers me the most is that I see lots of apathy towards the Browns, and we're in danger of becoming a fair-weather fanbase. It's hard for me to understand, since football, and the Browns have always been a huge part of NE Ohio.
-
I've loved the game as long for as I can remember. Dad probably had a lot to do with it as we were Ken Coleman's Quarterback Club regulars. Probably the only show we watched more regularly together was when we had lunch with Soupy (The Soupy Sales Show) every Saturday.
The Browns were easy love in the late-50s/early-60s when I became "football aware". And for many more years they were the only provider of relief from the annual disappointment the Indians, and later the "Cadavers", provided.
As for Browns disappointments I haven't had a tough one to handle since 2014. That collapse was hard to take, because I did not see it coming as I was swept up in our early success.
By contrast 2016 has been a piece of cake because I saw it coming. I saw us winning maybe 2 or 3 games, but those thoughts quickly faded after injuries started to pile up. The other sustaining thing is I think I see "the plan"... and I approve of it.
It predates my time here, but even 2008 was bearable because I saw it coming. After the DA-BE fueled, 10-win 2007 I wanted to trade both as I saw one-hit wonder written all over them.
Almost everything else since '99 is a blur of muddied, low expectations. Davis did give some hope until it became clear he had too much control. Ditto for Mangini, but only because I have more vision in my pinky than the Walrus had in his entire blubber-bloated body...
But hey... I now have the Cavs and Indians to lean on... and that helps as well...
-
Because I enjoy pain and suffering
-
-
-
British humor?!Move the chains bro
Every time I hear the words "British humor", I always think of Benny Hill...one of my all time favorites.
-
Been a fan for a couple of months. I've always liked the Browns and I like the Browns fans. We're not winning right now so it's safer to jump on the bandwagon before it starts rolling.
-
Born and raised in Cleveland
I'm 24.. so I take pride in the fact I've stuck around even though we've had no success since I've been watching. Wouldn't have it any other way because the success will be SO sweet when we turn the corner
Was always a fan but started watching every single game and really getting into it in 2012.. Brandon Weeden's rookie season
I CANT WAIT for our rise and the Steelers fall
It will be hilarious when all those Steelers fans in Youngstown change that flag in their front lawn from Black and Yellow to Orange and Brown.
-
-
British humor?!Move the chains bro
Every time I hear the words "British humor", I always think of Benny Hill...one of my all time favorites.
British humor?!
Every time I hear the words "British humor", I always think of Benny Hill...one of my all time favorites.
Ha well my poor attempt at humour anyway

He died when I was 10 I'm afraid CD so I've not really ever seen anything of him!
-
How did I become a Browns fan?
I was born...and there you have it.
-
-
This has been discussed here before a few times, but it's always a good read.
My dad took me down to my 1st game in 1971, the Browns beat Cincy 31-27 and I was hooked.
By the time I was in high school, me and a few of my friends bought season tickets in the bleachers (1979) at a huge cost of $66 lol...right under the goal posts. The seats opened up because angry fans threw a bunch of stuff on the field vs Houston after a horrible call by the refs (Ken Burrough jumped over Clarence Scott,and of course they called the Browns for pass interference). Basically, fans were pelted with debris/beer bottles and didn't want to sit there anymore.
Still a season ticket holder, and yes, I will be renewing.
How have I handled the crap since the return?- Not very well, although I figured this year would be awful...never expected to be 0-12 though. The thing that bothers me the most is that I see lots of apathy towards the Browns, and we're in danger of becoming a fair-weather fanbase. It's hard for me to understand, since football, and the Browns have always been a huge part of NE Ohio.
This has been discussed here before a few times, but it's always a good read.
My dad took me down to my 1st game in 1971, the Browns beat Cincy 31-27 and I was hooked.
By the time I was in high school, me and a few of my friends bought season tickets in the bleachers (1979) at a huge cost of $66 lol...right under the goal posts. The seats opened up because angry fans threw a bunch of stuff on the field vs Houston after a horrible call by the refs (Ken Burrough jumped over Clarence Scott,and of course they called the Browns for pass interference). Basically, fans were pelted with debris/beer bottles and didn't want to sit there anymore.
I Laugh cuz this story is so true, thanks Bob. Was at same game above Dawgpound between the uprights, but not my beer.(found ticket stub in album) I was 8, might be my dads tough. At 5 Dad locked me in the basement watching his Jim Brown homemade reel2reel game tape on projector & yes the white pullup screen. Dad was a season ticket holder from 65-95 till the day the browns left..Dad & I never miss a game.Just miss The Great Cleveland Browns!!
-
"One said:
So everyone that's born is a Browns fan?
It's like converting to the darkside when you go away.
-
Been a fan for a couple of months. I've always liked the Browns and I like the Browns fans. We're not winning right now so it's safer to jump on the bandwagon before it starts rolling.
Been a fan for a couple of months. I've always liked the Browns and I like the Browns fans. We're not winning right now so it's safer to jump on the bandwagon before it starts rolling.
Timing is everything! At least after 0-16 you can be pretty sure which direction it will roll when it starts moving again.
Mitch2Pryor said:
Born and raised in Cleveland
Post #6 already... Here's an overdue welcome to the Board... Welcome!
(Benny Hill) died when I was 10 I'm afraid CD so I've not really ever seen anything of him!
You did not miss much. Right up there with American TV's Hee Haw for cringe-worthy humor... minus the county music.
Dad loved them both.
-
Old man was a Browns fan in a family of Steeler fans. Raised me the right way.
You could probably blame me for the Browns bad luck - .600+ W/L before I was born, .300 since.
-
This topic isn't meant to slight any Browns fans. I'm simply curious what made you a fan, and furthermore how have you handled these miserable 16 ( 02 & 07 were good years) seasons? For season ticket members, will you be renewing?
I've been a fan since the Belichick days. I don't watch every single game, yet always keeps tabs.
This topic isn't meant to slight any Browns fans. I'm simply curious what made you a fan, and furthermore how have you handled these miserable 16 ( 02 & 07 were good years) seasons? For season ticket members, will you be renewing?
I've been a fan since the Belichick days. I don't watch every single game, yet always keeps tabs.
I can say my football memories go all the way back to "The Greatest Game ever Played" the Giants Colts Championship game in 1958. We'd gather around the black & white TV every Sunday for the Brown's away games- LOL right after Gene Carroll's Polka Varieties- my cousins were actually regular performers on that show. Home games, it was listen to the radio (home games were totally blacked out back then). I've been fortunate enough to have seen Jim Brown play in person many times, my Grandfather used to get schmoozed by vendors with game tickets, and the guy who lived across the street from him had season tickets- and would give them to us kids when he couldn't make a game.
This has been discussed here before a few times, but it's always a good read.
My dad took me down to my 1st game in 1971, the Browns beat Cincy 31-27 and I was hooked.
By the time I was in high school, me and a few of my friends bought season tickets in the bleachers (1979) at a huge cost of $66 lol...right under the goal posts. The seats opened up because angry fans threw a bunch of stuff on the field vs Houston after a horrible call by the refs (Ken Burrough jumped over Clarence Scott,and of course they called the Browns for pass interference). Basically, fans were pelted with debris/beer bottles and didn't want to sit there anymore.
Still a season ticket holder, and yes, I will be renewing.
How have I handled the crap since the return?- Not very well, although I figured this year would be awful...never expected to be 0-12 though. The thing that bothers me the most is that I see lots of apathy towards the Browns, and we're in danger of becoming a fair-weather fanbase. It's hard for me to understand, since football, and the Browns have always been a huge part of NE Ohio.
Wow, I'm glad you brought the Houston game up. That was the "real" Bottlegate. None of that wimpy plastic stuff at the 2nd one I was at. Wasn't at the first one, but I did see it on the tube. It was the 4th quarter- it WAS a lousy call, and the fans in what was to become the Dawg Pound unleashed a barrage of anything that wasn't tied down. We're talking hundreds of glass beer, wine and booze bottles shattering everywhere. I was thinking- you tackle a guy on that stuff, and it's going to be a trip to the hospital. The Refs moved the play to the other end of the field. For you young 'uns, you might find it hard to believe, but security was pretty lax back in the day- you could smuggle in damn near anything, as long as you were 1\2 discreet about it- yeah even coolers were allowed.
As to the present, I didn't handle the first 6 or so losses this year very well, but now- hey go for 0-16. I've been a season ticket holder since 1999. My lifelong pal who moved back to Cleveland after college already had been a season ticket holder for 17 years- and I knew with the PSL deal- it was now or never to buy in on decent seats- on his seniority. Of course I'll renew- they're not so much for me anymore, but for the nephews and nieces who will inherit them. As the shirt says "Just one before I die."
So everyone that's born is a Browns fan?
Only if it was in Cleveland.

-
Jim Brown. All his fault. Then the next best athlete I'd seen came here, Eric Metcalf with all that speed and elusiveness. And then JM in the era of the internet brought me to this board. And despite his inability to address his substance abuse problems, I stuck around to see how this will all turn out eventually. Now bring on Myles Garrett or you'll never hear the end of it on how well he is doing elsewhere while we added another name to the crossed out T-shirt.

Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login