Skip to content

Confirmed - Browns playing (home game) in London - vs Vikings

The Browns Board
108 31 4.0k
  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #41

    I heard on the radio this morning that it is confirmed that the Browns will be playing in London next year, in either week 7 or week 8 vs. the Vikings. It will be considered a home game for the Browns, thus they will lose one game in Cleveland. I will try to check on line to confirm with more details.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #42

  • Yeah Twickers is kinda sucky, I was at Wembley this summer (Liverpool vs Barca) and it's an amazing stadium, though somewhat ruined by shitty corporateness. Like the only food available was a terrible burger for £7 or something.

    Still, I'll be off to Twickenham. Any idea on the prices?

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #43

    So we get the "B" facility?

    Early date looks promising for a Wedding anniversary in the Isles, but either will work.

    @gftchris said:

    Any idea on the prices?

    Please look into block pricing as well. That was the one serious part of my "your duties" post.

    Should be discounted and those of us who commit to the trip can PayPal in advance so you don't get stuck. Then if we no show, and you can't resell for face value, the no show is on the hook.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #44

    I'm inclined to let one of the retired guys handle that particular duty 😉 plus, mrs gft has said she's getting me tickets as a gift of some kind, so I'd be away from the block anyway.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #45

    This Royal Throne of Kings

    This scepter'd Isle

    This Earth of Majesty

    This Seat of Mars

    This other Eden demi-paradise

    This Fortress built by nature for herself...

    This Happy Breed of Men

    This Little World

    This precious stone set in the silver sea...

    This Blessed Plot

    This Earth

    This Realm

    This.....England

    Richard II

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #46

    Reminds me of Jerusalem

  • @bob806 said:

    Stupid as hell, sorry.

    It should never, ever be an inter- conference matchup.

    Giving up a home game there means the Vikings won't visit Cleveland until 2025.

    Do you really care that much about seeing the Vikings? I don't see that being a big deal at all.

    Well, this will formally give us all an excuse to be drinking by 9:00 a.m. for once!

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by Bob806
    #47

    @jrb12711 said:

    Do you really care that much about seeing the Vikings? I don't see that being a big deal at all.

    Well, this will formally give us all an excuse to be drinking by 9:00 a.m. for once!

    Yeah, I actually do. It's piss-poor marketing by the NFL.

    Look at it this way- the 3 division rivals are a staple. The AFC rotation is a different division every 3 years.The NFC rotation is every 4 years. Then the two remaining games, teams get matched up within their conference in the order of the standings.

    We've sucked so bad, it seems we always play Jax or Tenn, and either Oak or SD.

    So my take is simply that if a team has to give up a game for King Goodell, it shouldn't be against an opponent you are at your own stadium once a decade. Makes senses to me.

  • If we sent the current team to Britain, I'm certain that would be deemed an act of war.

    WarriorsRpussiesW WarriorsRpussies wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @canton-dawg said:

    If we sent the current team to Britain, I'm certain that would be deemed an act of war.

    LOL literally spit out my coffee at my desk.

  • @jrb12711 said:

    Do you really care that much about seeing the Vikings? I don't see that being a big deal at all.

    Well, this will formally give us all an excuse to be drinking by 9:00 a.m. for once!

    Yeah, I actually do. It's piss-poor marketing by the NFL.

    Look at it this way- the 3 division rivals are a staple. The AFC rotation is a different division every 3 years.The NFC rotation is every 4 years. Then the two remaining games, teams get matched up within their conference in the order of the standings.

    We've sucked so bad, it seems we always play Jax or Tenn, and either Oak or SD.

    So my take is simply that if a team has to give up a game for King Goodell, it shouldn't be against an opponent you are at your own stadium once a decade. Makes senses to me.

    jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #49

    @bob806 said:

    Yeah, I actually do. It's piss-poor marketing by the NFL.

    Look at it this way- the 3 division rivals are a staple. The AFC rotation is a different division every 3 years.The NFC rotation is every 4 years. Then the two remaining games, teams get matched up within their conference in the order of the standings.

    We've sucked so bad, it seems we always play Jax or Tenn, and either Oak or SD.

    So my take is simply that if a team has to give up a game for King Goodell, it shouldn't be against an opponent you are at your own stadium once a decade. Makes senses to me.

    Yeah, I mean I'm acutely aware of NFL scheduling policies but I wouldn't be losing sleep over not seeing the Vikings play even if it's a long time from now. I'd personally much rather see AFC battles (assuming the Browns are ever good) that might actually matter for playoff purposes than an NFC game.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #50

    Was planning on getting engaged this summer. Ring fund may just have taken a little hit....

  • @jrb12711 said:

    Do you really care that much about seeing the Vikings? I don't see that being a big deal at all.

    Well, this will formally give us all an excuse to be drinking by 9:00 a.m. for once!

    Yeah, I actually do. It's piss-poor marketing by the NFL.

    Look at it this way- the 3 division rivals are a staple. The AFC rotation is a different division every 3 years.The NFC rotation is every 4 years. Then the two remaining games, teams get matched up within their conference in the order of the standings.

    We've sucked so bad, it seems we always play Jax or Tenn, and either Oak or SD.

    So my take is simply that if a team has to give up a game for King Goodell, it shouldn't be against an opponent you are at your own stadium once a decade. Makes senses to me.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #51

    @bob806 said:

    Yeah, I actually do. It's piss-poor marketing by the NFL.

    Look at it this way- the 3 division rivals are a staple. The AFC rotation is a different division every 3 years.The NFC rotation is every 4 years. Then the two remaining games, teams get matched up within their conference in the order of the standings.

    We've sucked so bad, it seems we always play Jax or Tenn, and either Oak or SD.

    So my take is simply that if a team has to give up a game for King Goodell, it shouldn't be against an opponent you are at your own stadium once a decade. Makes senses to me.

    At this point, Browns would play both in London and San Diego. Those are both good road trips.

  • @bob806 said:

    Yeah, I actually do. It's piss-poor marketing by the NFL.

    Look at it this way- the 3 division rivals are a staple. The AFC rotation is a different division every 3 years.The NFC rotation is every 4 years. Then the two remaining games, teams get matched up within their conference in the order of the standings.

    We've sucked so bad, it seems we always play Jax or Tenn, and either Oak or SD.

    So my take is simply that if a team has to give up a game for King Goodell, it shouldn't be against an opponent you are at your own stadium once a decade. Makes senses to me.

    Yeah, I mean I'm acutely aware of NFL scheduling policies but I wouldn't be losing sleep over not seeing the Vikings play even if it's a long time from now. I'd personally much rather see AFC battles (assuming the Browns are ever good) that might actually matter for playoff purposes than an NFC game.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @jrb12711 said:

    Yeah, I mean I'm acutely aware of NFL scheduling policies but I wouldn't be losing sleep over not seeing the Vikings play even if it's a long time from now. I'd personally much rather see AFC battles (assuming the Browns are ever good) that might actually matter for playoff purposes than an NFC game.

    Funny thing is that in my mother's family, two of the 6 girls became War Brides. My mom came her to Northeast Ohio.. The other sister, my aunt went with her husband to St. Paul, Minnesota.

    So, in my family that branch are Vikings fans, and I am a Browns fan.

    And while our parents were born in Ireland, they grew up in the south of England, not far in London...in Gillingham (which, I think is where one of our British denizens on here lives). We have had family reunions in Ireland, but perhaps we could meet up in Merry Ole.

  • @canton-dawg said:

    If we sent the current team to Britain, I'm certain that would be deemed an act of war.

    Thank God the Minutemen were not as inept as the Browns.

    Nevertheless....it would be a great road trip. Meeting up with Howie/Gareth/Mac/gft/London Brown and the rest of the British crew there would be cool. I could visit relatives.

    I just need to renew my passport and get over my eye problems....and find some money......and get approval from my wife to go alone because she would have to stay home and work. The last hurdle would be the hardest.

    B Buck The Frowns wrote on last edited by
    #53

    @the-gipper said:

    Thank God the Minutemen were not as inept as the Browns.

    Nevertheless....it would be a great road trip. Meeting up with Howie/Gareth/Mac/gft/London Brown and the rest of the British crew there would be cool. I could visit relatives.

    I just need to renew my passport and get over my eye problems....and find some money......and get approval from my wife to go alone because she would have to stay home and work. The last hurdle would be the hardest.

    No problem. Just go to the U.K. for treatment of your eye problem. This should placate your wife. Could do a go-fund-me for the airfare. Buy into National Health plan in UK, Go to game. Come home.

    Sending the Browns over is reprisal for burning the White House and sending us the Sex Pistols.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Thank God the Minutemen were not as inept as the Browns.

    Nevertheless....it would be a great road trip. Meeting up with Howie/Gareth/Mac/gft/London Brown and the rest of the British crew there would be cool. I could visit relatives.

    I just need to renew my passport and get over my eye problems....and find some money......and get approval from my wife to go alone because she would have to stay home and work. The last hurdle would be the hardest.

    No problem. Just go to the U.K. for treatment of your eye problem. This should placate your wife. Could do a go-fund-me for the airfare. Buy into National Health plan in UK, Go to game. Come home.

    Sending the Browns over is reprisal for burning the White House and sending us the Sex Pistols.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #54

    @buck-the-frowns said:

    No problem. Just go to the U.K. for treatment of your eye problem. This should placate your wife. Could do a go-fund-me for the airfare. Buy into National Health plan in UK, Go to game. Come home.

    Sending the Browns over is reprisal for burning the White House and sending us the Sex Pistols.

    Good point.....even better yet, perhaps I should get my Irish passport, which I am entitled to as a dual citizen (because my Mom was an Irish citizen). That would give me free reign across the whole EU...including the right to hold a job.

    (but then, there is that whole Brexit thing).

    And if not revenge for the Sex Pistols....at least for the Bay City Rollers.

  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #55

    I'm glad I only have to buy 9 games next year. Now if we can stop having to buy exhibition games......

  • I'm glad I only have to buy 9 games next year. Now if we can stop having to buy exhibition games......

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #56

    @browns149 said:

    I'm glad I only have to buy 9 games next year. Now if we can stop having to buy exhibition games......

    lol... It did occur to me last nite that thanks to the London game a higher percentage of your 2017 outlay will be for the preseason...

    My name is Tour... and I'm here to help... 🙂

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #57

    So, look at this article:

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/american-football/2016/12/13/nfl-announces-four-london-games-2017-ravens-browns-cardinals/

    It says in there somewhere that the "perennially hapless" Browns will be making their London debut next year.

    It also notes that the other teams playing in London include: The Ravens, Cardinals, Vikings, Jaguars, Dolphins, Saints.

    But lets be clear.....The Browns have MORE Championships than these 6 other teams COMBINED possess. 8 vs. 7.

    When you add the Rams in with their 3 titles the count then becomes: Browns 8 titles....all other London playing teams 10 titles...in history.

    So, go piss up a rope.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #58

    By the way....I have already check out my timeshare exchange company website......and I have found some VERY reasonable options to stay in England. These are in Canterbury...which is not a far commute from London...60miles. A 2BR place that could bunk up to 6 people.

    Anyone game?

  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #59

    Canterbury is a very nice place.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #60

    60 miles? That's a long way to crawl...