Skip to content

Mike Lombardi Predicts Browns Trade For Jimmy Garoppolo

The Browns Board
81 35 3.7k
  • @orion said:

    Mike Lombotomy speaks.

    Garoppolo was drafted #62 (I believe).

    I'm always leery of Patriot backups being anointed as franchise quarterbacks.

    Lombotomy.....hahahaha......

    Hoyer? Mallett? Cassel?

    Come to think of it.....has a NE backup QB ever left and been a star elsewhere?.....

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #24

    @mudfly said:

    Lombotomy.....hahahaha......

    Hoyer? Mallett? Cassel?

    Come to think of it.....has a NE backup QB ever left and been a star elsewhere?.....

    Just Jim Plunkett too many middle fingers and moons ago.

  • @mudfly said:

    Lombotomy.....hahahaha......

    Hoyer? Mallett? Cassel?

    Come to think of it.....has a NE backup QB ever left and been a star elsewhere?.....

    Just Jim Plunkett too many middle fingers and moons ago.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @flugel said:

    Just Jim Plunkett too many middle fingers and moons ago.

    He doesnt count(or fit the mold Im casting)....😉.....he was just a failed first rounder, more than some obscure backup.....(heisman winner too, right?)....

  • @flugel said:

    Just Jim Plunkett too many middle fingers and moons ago.

    He doesnt count(or fit the mold Im casting)....😉.....he was just a failed first rounder, more than some obscure backup.....(heisman winner too, right?)....

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @mudfly said:

    He doesnt count(or fit the mold Im casting).... 😉.....he was just a failed first rounder, more than some obscure backup.....(heisman winner too, right?)....

    Not only that, it was a few decades ago. And you're right - he was a Heisman Trophy winner.

    But, here we come with the first overall pick. The reason I wanted to bring up a QB like Plunkett is a fan base as well as a FO/Coaching Staff doesn't always peg a young QB in a bad setting accurately right off the bat. If one ever reads Steve Young's auto-bio about life in NFL Hell down in Tampa, he was starting to believe his hands were too small to make it in the NFL. Drew Brees ended his 3rd NFL season after about 12 games or so on IR with Colt McCoy-like stats on the team with the worst NFL record. With the first pick of the next draft San Diego drafted Eli Manning (who told them not to draft him so they had to fuss and trade with NY to use their pick to select Philip Rivers a few slots later). Rivers held out all of training camp and Brees went on to make the Pro Bowl in his 4th NFL season.

    As we know, QBs don't get 4 years of patience in Cleveland. We're reading it's a possibility this franchise drafts an ACC QB with only 1 year of starting experience, which already concerns me. I don't think Trubisky sucks from what I've seen; but I also don't know what would project him all the way up to #1 overall. He's going to go from a playbook where he throws a lot of timing patterns to an area off of specified drops to reading progressions against complex defenses at the speed of the NFL game behind an offensive line already serial killing QBs that hold on to the ball too long.

    When we think about the success Dak Prescott has had in Dallas, there needed to be injuries to Tony Romo and Kellen Moore for Dak to even see the field. Then again, that organization has been building up its offensive line prior to adding Zeke to give him an elite running game to lean on so heighten play action perks. They also have an experienced WR Corps. Could other rookie QBs have been just as successful as Dak in that environment? IMO, yes.

    There's no more room for error with our 1st round picks so if we have the 1st overall pick - I'd hate to see us bullied into taking a QB at the expense of getting the pick of the litter at any other play maker position. I've followed this league a long time, and some years the supply and demand of 1st QBs just sucks. I'm not saying that's the case as much as I'm saying I'm worried my premature glance at it all is giving me a sick pit in my stomach.

  • @orion said:

    Mike Lombotomy speaks.

    Garoppolo was drafted #62 (I believe).

    I'm always leery of Patriot backups being anointed as franchise quarterbacks.

    Lombotomy.....hahahaha......

    Hoyer? Mallett? Cassel?

    Come to think of it.....has a NE backup QB ever left and been a star elsewhere?.....

    T Taco918 wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @mudfly said:

    Lombotomy.....hahahaha......

    Hoyer? Mallett? Cassel?

    Come to think of it.....has a NE backup QB ever left and been a star elsewhere?.....

    Cassel had a couple of good years in KC before he broke the speed of light falling off that cliff.

  • B Babernakle wrote on last edited by
    #28

    I think is great finally a smart move when it comes the qb but as I said when it happens if we would kept hoyer and not taken dumb fuck little johnny we would of had possibly great players on the team but it's nice to see a good move for once

  • @orion said:

    Mike Lombotomy speaks.

    Garoppolo was drafted #62 (I believe).

    I'm always leery of Patriot backups being anointed as franchise quarterbacks.

    Lombotomy.....hahahaha......

    Hoyer? Mallett? Cassel?

    Come to think of it.....has a NE backup QB ever left and been a star elsewhere?.....

    flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @mudfly said:

    Lombotomy.....hahahaha......

    Hoyer? Mallett? Cassel?

    Come to think of it.....has a NE backup QB ever left and been a star elsewhere?....

    I agree completely. I think mcarron is a better choice. Bill wins with smoke n mirrors. Marv gotta have better talent to coach.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #30

    smoke and mirrors?

    HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!

    is there a magician's supply shop somewhere in NE Ohio cuz haslam should invest in it then.

    stupidest thing i've ever heard.

    every brown's fan wishes they could sniff the nut hair of the last guy to hold the lombardi trophy in NE.

  • S secondwave wrote on last edited by
    #31

    Yeah If it's a 2nd rounder for Jimmy G i'm all for it. He's only 24, plus it means we won't use one of our 2 first rounders on a QB, and address other needs like our DL, OL, S, CB, OLB, ILB, K, P...

  • @mudfly said:

    He doesnt count(or fit the mold Im casting).... 😉.....he was just a failed first rounder, more than some obscure backup.....(heisman winner too, right?)....

    Not only that, it was a few decades ago. And you're right - he was a Heisman Trophy winner.

    But, here we come with the first overall pick. The reason I wanted to bring up a QB like Plunkett is a fan base as well as a FO/Coaching Staff doesn't always peg a young QB in a bad setting accurately right off the bat. If one ever reads Steve Young's auto-bio about life in NFL Hell down in Tampa, he was starting to believe his hands were too small to make it in the NFL. Drew Brees ended his 3rd NFL season after about 12 games or so on IR with Colt McCoy-like stats on the team with the worst NFL record. With the first pick of the next draft San Diego drafted Eli Manning (who told them not to draft him so they had to fuss and trade with NY to use their pick to select Philip Rivers a few slots later). Rivers held out all of training camp and Brees went on to make the Pro Bowl in his 4th NFL season.

    As we know, QBs don't get 4 years of patience in Cleveland. We're reading it's a possibility this franchise drafts an ACC QB with only 1 year of starting experience, which already concerns me. I don't think Trubisky sucks from what I've seen; but I also don't know what would project him all the way up to #1 overall. He's going to go from a playbook where he throws a lot of timing patterns to an area off of specified drops to reading progressions against complex defenses at the speed of the NFL game behind an offensive line already serial killing QBs that hold on to the ball too long.

    When we think about the success Dak Prescott has had in Dallas, there needed to be injuries to Tony Romo and Kellen Moore for Dak to even see the field. Then again, that organization has been building up its offensive line prior to adding Zeke to give him an elite running game to lean on so heighten play action perks. They also have an experienced WR Corps. Could other rookie QBs have been just as successful as Dak in that environment? IMO, yes.

    There's no more room for error with our 1st round picks so if we have the 1st overall pick - I'd hate to see us bullied into taking a QB at the expense of getting the pick of the litter at any other play maker position. I've followed this league a long time, and some years the supply and demand of 1st QBs just sucks. I'm not saying that's the case as much as I'm saying I'm worried my premature glance at it all is giving me a sick pit in my stomach.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #32

    @flugel said:

    There's no more room for error with our 1st round picks so if we have the 1st overall pick - I'd hate to see us bullied into taking a QB at the expense of getting the pick of the litter at any other play maker position. I've followed this league a long time, and some years the supply and demand of 1st QBs just sucks. I'm not saying that's the case as much as I'm saying I'm worried my premature glance at it all is giving me a sick pit in my stomach.

    Tom, there hasn't been any room for error in our drafts for the last 10 years, but there were plenty of errors. 🙂 Just for a change, will you draft a super dooper star for a change? At worst, we're going to draft second, (will give us Garrett or Mitch), and another likely pick in the top 10, which will be for the side of the ball we don't take with the top pick.

    I positively hate the idea of trading for Garropolo. Bill rarely makes mistakes dumping players.

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #33

    Just read an article that basically said a trade for Garoppolo would "cost us a fortune". I don't think they got into specifics, but just the thought of giving up too much for a largely unproven guy makes me wanna vomit. If we get the next Matt Flynn, it would cripple us for YEARS.

    And we've BEEN crippled for years. I...just...can't....right now.

  • flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #34

    Pip, Jimmy has the chance to jump on that and set us back another 5 years

  • Just read an article that basically said a trade for Garoppolo would "cost us a fortune". I don't think they got into specifics, but just the thought of giving up too much for a largely unproven guy makes me wanna vomit. If we get the next Matt Flynn, it would cripple us for YEARS.

    And we've BEEN crippled for years. I...just...can't....right now.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Just read an article that basically said a trade for Garoppolo would "cost us a fortune". I don't think they got into specifics, but just the thought of giving up too much for a largely unproven guy makes me wanna vomit. If we get the next Matt Flynn, it would cripple us for YEARS.

    And we've BEEN crippled for years. I...just...can't....right now.

    Can't see how, as it stands - he's going into the last year of his contract, after all.

    Problem is, he'll probably be looking for Osweiler status and money, and that was a stupid, stupid deal for Houston.

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    Just read an article that basically said a trade for Garoppolo would "cost us a fortune". I don't think they got into specifics, but just the thought of giving up too much for a largely unproven guy makes me wanna vomit. If we get the next Matt Flynn, it would cripple us for YEARS.

    And we've BEEN crippled for years. I...just...can't....right now.

    Can't see how, as it stands - he's going into the last year of his contract, after all.

    Problem is, he'll probably be looking for Osweiler status and money, and that was a stupid, stupid deal for Houston.

    L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by LondonBrown
    #36

    @gftchris said:

    Can't see how, as it stands - he's going into the last year of his contract, after all.

    Problem is, he'll probably be looking for Osweiler status and money, and that was a stupid, stupid deal for Houston.

    Even Osweiler had shown more than Garrapolo by the end of their contracts. I really don't get this link and hope it's crap.
  • Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #37

    Mike Lombardi is so useless, that if he were an Eskimo, he'd be set out to sea on floating piece of ice to die.

    Zombo

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    Just read an article that basically said a trade for Garoppolo would "cost us a fortune". I don't think they got into specifics, but just the thought of giving up too much for a largely unproven guy makes me wanna vomit. If we get the next Matt Flynn, it would cripple us for YEARS.

    And we've BEEN crippled for years. I...just...can't....right now.

    Can't see how, as it stands - he's going into the last year of his contract, after all.

    Problem is, he'll probably be looking for Osweiler status and money, and that was a stupid, stupid deal for Houston.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @gftchris said:

    Can't see how, as it stands - he's going into the last year of his contract, after all.

    Problem is, he'll probably be looking for Osweiler status and money, and that was a stupid, stupid deal for Houston.

    It's what the Pats do... build up the player... the market takes care of itself. Brady's opening four-game suspension was a god send to this effort. Whatever Jimmy's contract demands end up being, they will not be NE's problem.

    I shit you not... NYJ's Petty is going to end up being an UFA target this off-season.

    I watched a good chunk of the NYJ-SF game yesterday and he grew in that game. His shared reaction with his OL to Powell's winning TD run at the end of that OT drive showed they have embraced him. He only threw one pass in that drive, but it was a 26-yard beauty. If you want a cold-weather QB whose throws can slice thru the wind, put Bryce on your list.

    Still a work in progress... you can still come away thinking his full name is "Petty short pass complete", if you read his play-by-play log... but he's growing. And now he's a winning, NFL QB.

  • @gftchris said:

    Can't see how, as it stands - he's going into the last year of his contract, after all.

    Problem is, he'll probably be looking for Osweiler status and money, and that was a stupid, stupid deal for Houston.

    It's what the Pats do... build up the player... the market takes care of itself. Brady's opening four-game suspension was a god send to this effort. Whatever Jimmy's contract demands end up being, they will not be NE's problem.

    I shit you not... NYJ's Petty is going to end up being an UFA target this off-season.

    I watched a good chunk of the NYJ-SF game yesterday and he grew in that game. His shared reaction with his OL to Powell's winning TD run at the end of that OT drive showed they have embraced him. He only threw one pass in that drive, but it was a 26-yard beauty. If you want a cold-weather QB whose throws can slice thru the wind, put Bryce on your list.

    Still a work in progress... you can still come away thinking his full name is "Petty short pass complete", if you read his play-by-play log... but he's growing. And now he's a winning, NFL QB.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @tour2ma said:

    And now he's a winning, NFL QB.

    Who also happens to play for a team in dire need of a QB themselves. Ryan Beardpatrick won't be there next year, neither will Geno.

    He's also not a UFA, btw? He's under contract until 2018

    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/bryce-petty-16829/

  • Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #40

    Todd Bowles will most likely not be the HC after this season as well.

  • @tour2ma said:

    And now he's a winning, NFL QB.

    Who also happens to play for a team in dire need of a QB themselves. Ryan Beardpatrick won't be there next year, neither will Geno.

    He's also not a UFA, btw? He's under contract until 2018

    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/bryce-petty-16829/

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @gftchris said:

    Who also happens to play for a team in dire need of a QB themselves. Ryan Beardpatrick won't be there next year, neither will Geno.

    He's also not a UFA, btw? He's under contract until 2018

    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/bryce-petty-16829/

    lol... I did know that... yesterday in fact... or was it Saturday?

    But as Chad & Jeremy once sang...

    What's constantly amazes me is I can recall useless shit that's 40-years old, like Chad & Jeremy's "relevance", but not important stuff like football contract durations that I looked up a day or two ago when I posted I'd give NYJ a 6th for Petty. But after Petty's performance yesterday I think the song's appropriate for that deal as well.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #42

    Belichick is trying to dump him on us for a steal because he has no faith in Garropolo. BB has his hand up Lombardi's back like a ventriloquist and his dummy.

    Jackson would be a fucktard for going along with it. "Get the stupid, inexperienced Browns FO to buy our BS".

    Like those guys in Draft Day that Kevin Costner traded a 1st round pick to for 2 2s.

    Fuck that.

  • OsirisO Osiris wrote on last edited by
    #43

    I wouldn't mind it for a 2nd round pick, and so long as the Browns still drafted someone like Trubisky. Rumor here in New England is that it's not his ability but his durability that's in question and why Bill might trade him, and that Bill supposedly likes Brissett enough to let Garropolo go.

    A smart coach/GM who already has his franchise QB would draft, develop and trade a young QB every year because they are at such a premium now that you'll probably get more than what their worth every time. That's probably what Bill is doing here.