Skip to content

Found this fact about Centers

The Browns Board
37 19 2.3k
  • Eric Wood went this year to Buffalo as well, I beleive.

    Plus with the influx of the 3-4 defense the center position will be more valued now and into the future

  • @onefellswoop7 said:

    Hmm...that is kind of shocking to me...

    I assume they really pick up in round two?

    More shocking is how many good teams have late round or undrafted FA's as their center.

    Arizona, Pittsburgh, New England, Tennessee, Denver, NY Giants, Indianapolis.

    @oldcrow1945 said:

    More shocking is how many good team have late round or undrafted FA's as their center.

    Arizona, Pittsburgh, New England, Tennessee, Denver, NY Giants, Indianapolis.

    You hate the pick. We know. You've told us 1000 times haha...

  • Eric Wood went this year to Buffalo as well, I beleive.

    Plus with the influx of the 3-4 defense the center position will be more valued now and into the future

    nmills said:

    Eric Wood went this year to Buffalo as well, I beleive.

    Plus with the influx of the 3-4 defense the center position will be more valued now and into the future

    Yeah, look at how Parcells signed Jake Grove to a 5 year, $29.5M deal and shipped Samson Satele to Oakland because he couldn't handle Vince Wilfork. If your center gets manhandled by 3-4 nose tackles, you're not going to have success against the Steelers, Ravens, or Patriots. And you're going to have to beat at least one of those teams to make it to the Super Bowl.

  • @oldcrow1945 said:

    More shocking is how many good team have late round or undrafted FA's as their center.

    Arizona, Pittsburgh, New England, Tennessee, Denver, NY Giants, Indianapolis.

    You hate the pick. We know. You've told us 1000 times haha...

    @onefellswoop7 said:

    You hate the pick. We know. You've told us 1000 times haha...

    It has nothing to do with how I feel about the pick....If you'd read more than you used your keyboard you'd know I warmed up to it.

  • Drafting Mangold last year turned out very well for Mangini. When Balt AND Pitt is in your division...Center is even more of a need.

    Crow - Sorry, I can't follow you and see how your emotions change from day to day. Glad you warmed up to it.

  • Drafting Mangold last year turned out very well for Mangini. When Balt AND Pitt is in your division...Center is even more of a need.

    Crow - Sorry, I can't follow you and see how your emotions change from day to day. Glad you warmed up to it.

    @onefellswoop7 said:

    Drafting Mangold last year turned out very well for Mangini. When Balt AND Pitt is in your division...Center is even more of a need.

    Another brilliant post....There has been three draftes since Mangold was drafted.

    I don't think you can follow much of anything honestly....You continue to prove it.

  • @onefellswoop7 said:

    Drafting Mangold last year turned out very well for Mangini. When Balt AND Pitt is in your division...Center is even more of a need.

    Another brilliant post....There has been three draftes since Mangold was drafted.

    I don't think you can follow much of anything honestly....You continue to prove it.

    @oldcrow1945 said:

    Another brilliant post....There has been three draftes since Mangold was drafted.

    I don't think you can follow much of anything honestly....You continue to prove it.

    My bad. I meant in Mangini's first year (w/ NY)...wow someone is a bit pissy, eh?

    Relax bud.

  • @oldcrow1945 said:

    Another brilliant post....There has been three draftes since Mangold was drafted.

    I don't think you can follow much of anything honestly....You continue to prove it.

    My bad. I meant in Mangini's first year (w/ NY)...wow someone is a bit pissy, eh?

    Relax bud.

    @onefellswoop7 said:

    My bad. I meant in Mangini's first year (w/ NY)...wow someone is a bit pissy, eh?

    Relax bud.

    I'm sure that's what you meant. Gotcha.

  • @onefellswoop7 said:

    My bad. I meant in Mangini's first year (w/ NY)...wow someone is a bit pissy, eh?

    Relax bud.

    I'm sure that's what you meant. Gotcha.

    @oldcrow1945 said:

    I'm sure that's what you meant. Gotcha.

    Gotta love acting rough and tough in a football forum. This banter is just soooo important haha. No sweat.

    Anyway, it will be interesting to see next years draft and what centers come out compared to how early. The addition of a few more 3-4 defenses may push a couple centers into the first round next year too. If I was in the NFC north...I'd want to make sure I had a quality center if not already. Going up against B.J. Raji twice a year won't be fun...

  • Eric Wood went this year to Buffalo as well, I beleive.

    Plus with the influx of the 3-4 defense the center position will be more valued now and into the future

    nmills said:

    Eric Wood went this year to Buffalo as well, I beleive.

    Plus with the influx of the 3-4 defense the center position will be more valued now and into the future

    Hit the nail on the head!

  • It is shocking the browns have 3 of 7 1st round center drafts over 20 years but in the afc north it is now essential to have a crazed dawg at center all afc north teams are beefing up the front line due to the 3-4 defense and mack holds the promise of being a longterm piece of the offensive puzzle...mangenius at least on paper has put us in a position with this draft to compete this year....

    I was expecting us to go for a fan pleaser like rey rey but was excited when mankok did the right thing and plugged the biggest hole in our offensive line and then brought us a couple of way under rated WR's and a running back with tremendous upside...not even counting veikune and the 2 cbs/safeties elam and coleman..absolutely outstanding draft! 😉

  • Centers aren't taken in first round...this draft was bereft of talent...only reason two Centers taken in first. 8 in last 20 years....Browns have three... 3 1/2 counting bentley he was #44 or close to that. Please ....

    LT, Adrian Petersen and Now chris wells!

    UGGG

  • I agree passing on LT and Peterson are tough to look back at...I'm not quite sure Wells is even in that class/conversation. Guess we'll see next year though.

  • Centers aren't taken in first round...this draft was bereft of talent...only reason two Centers taken in first. 8 in last 20 years....Browns have three... 3 1/2 counting bentley he was #44 or close to that. Please ....

    LT, Adrian Petersen and Now chris wells!

    UGGG

    @solon16 said:

    Centers aren't taken in first round...this draft was bereft of talent...only reason two Centers taken in first. 8 in last 20 years....Browns have three... 3 1/2 counting bentley he was #44 or close to that. Please ....

    LT, Adrian Petersen and Now chris wells!

    UGGG

    I think more than any other position this one can be groomed. It's been shown to be the case when there are so many good teams with late round and undrafted centers that are good football players.

    In this year's pro bowl lineup only one center was a high pick. Gurod. He was a 2nd rounder.

    I have to wonder if the general thinking in the NFL FO's are that you don't waste a high pick on a center. Just as they don't waste them on guards.

    Mangold is fine center but in the final analysis is he really a difference maker? How many playoff games have the Jets won since his arrival? None?

  • I think Mangold really helped the running game in NY though. Difference maker, no. I kind of see it as a position you should be able to groom with a less pricey prick if any. But, that should be done while having a good center already in place. Our problem is that we got lucky having Fraley play well and didn't draft (late round) a young guy to groom behind him. Hopefully, Mack has a solid career with us and as he gets older we try to groom someone (or two) to eventually fill that role, on the cheap.

    We needed help NOW and paid the price for the quick fix. Could be worse though...

  • nmills said:

    Eric Wood went this year to Buffalo as well, I beleive.

    Plus with the influx of the 3-4 defense the center position will be more valued now and into the future

    Yeah, look at how Parcells signed Jake Grove to a 5 year, $29.5M deal and shipped Samson Satele to Oakland because he couldn't handle Vince Wilfork. If your center gets manhandled by 3-4 nose tackles, you're not going to have success against the Steelers, Ravens, or Patriots. And you're going to have to beat at least one of those teams to make it to the Super Bowl.

    Aloysius said:

    If your center gets manhandled by 3-4 nose tackles, you're not going to have success against the Steelers, Ravens, or Patriots. And you're going to have to beat at least one of those teams to make it to the Super Bowl.

    That's what worries me. Despite what many fans are thinking, Mack doesn't have the reputation of being the "mauler with a mean streak" that we all would love to have in our OC. I heard/read too much about Mack "playing too high" and "spending too much time on the ground" (i.e. on his fanny).

    Eric Wood is the solid rock of this year's draft.

    -Al

  • Centers aren't taken in first round...this draft was bereft of talent...only reason two Centers taken in first. 8 in last 20 years....Browns have three... 3 1/2 counting bentley he was #44 or close to that. Please ....

    LT, Adrian Petersen and Now chris wells!

    UGGG

    @solon16 said:

    Centers aren't taken in first round...this draft was bereft of talent...only reason two Centers taken in first. 8 in last 20 years....Browns have three... 3 1/2 counting bentley he was #44 or close to that. Please ....

    LT, Adrian Petersen and Now chris wells!

    UGGG

    With regards to Peterson and Wells, you don't pass up a lineman that will fill his spot for 10+ years.

  • Unless it is just some crazy pick, you will never hear me complain about a first rounder who is a Olineman or a Dlineman.

    That is where games are won and lost.

    Ever other position on the field depends on those guys winning their match-up

  • @solon16 said:

    Centers aren't taken in first round...this draft was bereft of talent...only reason two Centers taken in first. 8 in last 20 years....Browns have three... 3 1/2 counting bentley he was #44 or close to that. Please ....

    LT, Adrian Petersen and Now chris wells!

    UGGG

    With regards to Peterson and Wells, you don't pass up a lineman that will fill his spot for 10+ years.

    @next2nothing said:

    With regards to Peterson and Wells, you don't pass up a lineman that will fill his spot for 10+ years.

    NO you don't pass up lineman...I would rather have wells running the ball against pittsburgh,Baltimore in Nov and December...Caldwell from Bama wold have still been a big upgrade from Frayley. Keep drinkin the koolaid....We need a Big stud young runner and we just let him GO for a freakin Center!

  • I am happy with us taking Mack. However, I was yelling Well's name every time the Brown's were on the clock. I do think he is in the same class as LT and AP - at least talent wise. Whether he produces at the next level is another question. It takes more than just natural talent to make it, but I think he will.