Rogue One
-
Saw it this afternoon... the wife had a vacaday to burn and she's an mega Star Wars aficionado...
I liked it a lot more than I thought I ever would. More than any outside of the original three. Biggest reason is probably that I went in expecting some random story on a tangent designed to generate holiday $$$ and walked out knowing I had just seen anything but that.
It also had many "isn't that ____???____ from HBO's ____???_____" moments throughout.
-
I just saw it as well and have almost the exact same take. Probably write it up tomorrow or the next day.
WSS
-
I saw it yesterday, and I have to admit I was a little skeptical about it.
However, I was pleasantly surprised how they sewn up all the loose ends and seamlessly transitioned that to play right into the 1977 release.
It was well done.
-
I was unimpressed. I was mostly bored by the standard clichés being trotted out again and again. Specific things that annoyed me:
- every cast member, more or less, had to be introduced and killed off in one film. This was the constraint they imposed upon themselves and it meant no character development
- the main protagonist was uninteresting. I never felt any amount of wanting her to succed, partly because...
- we knew how it would start and end. Yes of course this happens in other films and with re-watches but there was just no moment where I thought "hey maybe it doesn't work out" - in the original trilogy for example, because there was more time for things to unfold, you had a movie (V) that didn't have a happy ending
- the fuck is that planet-wide shield being generated and opened from a single space station? that goes down the shield should be intact, not destroyed because a shield that size would need a separate generator
- the blind guy who thinks he's jedi. who is he? and is he jedi? just a little?
- his henchman who just follows him around
- how they both sort of just tagged along with nothing more than 'we happened to be there' as the apparent motive
- Another whiny bitch antagonist, this time the guy in white.
- The pilot who defects from the empire, he gets 'interrogated' by some big alien brain fucking thing, which is supposed to make you lose your mind, which he did, for about five minutes, then he's all better again. Right.
- storm troopers are still terrible shots.
- anyone who was not a 'main' character gets sacrificed - there were four people pinned down at the entrance to the big building at the end, three names and one nobody. The nobody tries to step out and is immediately shot down, just to show how they're pinned down. Cool. Except, then the names just basically walk out chanting something about the force and don't get shot. Cool. Seems legit.
- it was obvious that there was the standard 'love interest' aspect between the two main protagonists from there start. Is it possible for two people of the opposite gender to be in a film together and not get it on at the end?
I liked the robot. It was by far the best aspect of the film. I also liked pushing one of the star destroyers into another. That was cool.
Also, maybe I misunderstood the timeline a bit but I was hoping we'd see some kind of explanation of Luke/Leia since we leave Ep. III with them as babies, pick up Ep. IV as adults, but this just jumped into right before IV.
-
I agree with just about everything you said. I haven't written up my review even though it will be truncated because of the sheer volume for this issue of The Voice.
The only two interesting characters were a new robot a refreshing change to C-3PO and the blind ninja guy.
And again a Death Star to blow up.
WSS
-
I'm waiting for the snark, steve...!
-
Not really snarky I just compared it to Star Trek. Star Trek is different situations based on static and familiar characters while Star Wars is blowing up a death star with a different handful of characters every time.I'm waiting for the snark, steve...!

I like this one more than I'd expected to.
WSS
-
Rogue One was great.
-
My question now is how are they going to get around Carrie Fisher's death in Episode IX? Is Leia going to be a force ghost or something?
-
My question now is how are they going to get around Carrie Fisher's death in Episode IX? Is Leia going to be a force ghost or something?
My question now is how are they going to get around Carrie Fisher's death in Episode IX? Is Leia going to be a force ghost or something?
Rumor has it that they have shot a good deal of her footage if not all. They also State they won't use any digital tricks but I don't particularly believe that.
WSS
-
My question now is how are they going to get around Carrie Fisher's death in Episode IX? Is Leia going to be a force ghost or something?
My question now is how are they going to get around Carrie Fisher's death in Episode IX? Is Leia going to be a force ghost or something?
That doesn't get around the death at all though? Alec Guinness was still acting in VI.
But the answer has already come in the form of how they portrayed Peter Cushing. A guy of similar size who does a decent impression wore a motion capture 'mask' and they animated Cushing's face over the top. Could easily do the same with Leia.
-
My question now is how are they going to get around Carrie Fisher's death in Episode IX? Is Leia going to be a force ghost or something?
My question now is how are they going to get around Carrie Fisher's death in Episode IX? Is Leia going to be a force ghost or something?
She will probably just be phased out of the story. Luke/Rey will likely become the focus of things.
And to be honest with you....I did not care much for the character Finn. So he can be diminished as well.
-
Luke-Rey will be the focal point. Like in the original S.W. it was Luke and Ben!
-
I liked it much better than the JJ Abrams Star Wars movie. However, the main female character was incredibly boring and dull, the story was lacking and too simpleton, and nothing new was added to the overall world of Star Wars with the exception of the new funny/cool robot. 3 Stars // Average
-
My question now is how are they going to get around Carrie Fisher's death in Episode IX? Is Leia going to be a force ghost or something?
My question now is how are they going to get around Carrie Fisher's death in Episode IX? Is Leia going to be a force ghost or something?
As you saw at the end of the movie, they can recreate her digitally if they want to. I hope you noticed the very convincing digital General Tarkin. As Steve pointed out, essentially all of her scenes were already shot before she died.
-
My question now is how are they going to get around Carrie Fisher's death in Episode IX? Is Leia going to be a force ghost or something?
As you saw at the end of the movie, they can recreate her digitally if they want to. I hope you noticed the very convincing digital General Tarkin. As Steve pointed out, essentially all of her scenes were already shot before she died.
As you saw at the end of the movie, they can recreate her digitally if they want to. I hope you noticed the very convincing digital General Tarkin. As Steve pointed out, essentially all of her scenes were already shot before she died.
I understand that yes, they completed all her scenes for the next movie before she died. However, I also understand that in any future movies, Leia just won't make an appearance. Maybe they will kill her character off without having her in the scene, like having the planet she is on explode or something.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login