Skip to content

Most famous band from every state

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
39 13 5.7k
  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #14

    PS the Cars are from Boston but Benjamin Orr was at least born in Lakewood.

    WSS

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #15

    Well, I guess the question is what is the meaning of "from". Is it where most of the guys in the band were born, grew up.....or is it where they played a few initial gigs.

    Like Aerosmith. I understand that most of those guys are "from" Boston....grew up there, formed there. But, maybe when they first started they played some gigs in NH.

    And like The Cars. Yea, one guy was born/raised in Cleveland area.....but, I and WSS were sure all around the Cleveland music scene when that band would have been formed, and I sure never remember them ever playing regularly around here.

    What say you Steve? Do you recall the Cars playing here in their formative years?

  • Well, I guess the question is what is the meaning of "from". Is it where most of the guys in the band were born, grew up.....or is it where they played a few initial gigs.

    Like Aerosmith. I understand that most of those guys are "from" Boston....grew up there, formed there. But, maybe when they first started they played some gigs in NH.

    And like The Cars. Yea, one guy was born/raised in Cleveland area.....but, I and WSS were sure all around the Cleveland music scene when that band would have been formed, and I sure never remember them ever playing regularly around here.

    What say you Steve? Do you recall the Cars playing here in their formative years?

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #16

    @the-gipper said:

    Well, I guess the question is what is the meaning of "from". Is it where most of the guys in the band were born, grew up.....or is it where they played a few initial gigs.

    Like Aerosmith. I understand that most of those guys are "from" Boston....grew up there, formed there. But, maybe when they first started they played some gigs in NH.

    And like The Cars. Yea, one guy was born/raised in Cleveland area.....but, I and WSS were sure all around the Cleveland music scene when that band would have been formed, and I sure never remember them ever playing regularly around here.

    What say you Steve? Do you recall the Cars playing here in their formative years?

    Nope. I do remember Devo.

    You get my call?

    WSS

  • @the-gipper said:

    Well, I guess the question is what is the meaning of "from". Is it where most of the guys in the band were born, grew up.....or is it where they played a few initial gigs.

    Like Aerosmith. I understand that most of those guys are "from" Boston....grew up there, formed there. But, maybe when they first started they played some gigs in NH.

    And like The Cars. Yea, one guy was born/raised in Cleveland area.....but, I and WSS were sure all around the Cleveland music scene when that band would have been formed, and I sure never remember them ever playing regularly around here.

    What say you Steve? Do you recall the Cars playing here in their formative years?

    Nope. I do remember Devo.

    You get my call?

    WSS

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @westside-steve said:

    Nope. I do remember Devo.

    You get my call?

    WSS

    Yes, called you back...you're it.

  • stillmotionS stillmotion wrote on last edited by
    #18

    idk i think the black keys are up there.

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
    #19

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    No one under 50 knows the isley brothers

    I'm 64 and I don't care about them.

    Not that I enjoy these bands but I would imagine Devo, especially Mark mothersbaugh, and maybe Nine Inch Nails would be among the top best known Ohio artist. Maybe Joe Walsh, maybe Eric Carmen?

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #20

    Ah... my fav James Gang track.... but the Intro was lifted straight outta another track... want to say Laugh... but can't find find any such track.

    @westside-steve said:

    Not that I enjoy these bands but I would imagine Devo, especially Mark mothersbaugh, and maybe Nine Inch Nails would be among the top best known Ohio artist. Maybe Joe Walsh, maybe Eric Carmen?

    Nobody not from CLE knows The Raspberries... may as well opt for The Lemon Pipers from down Miami of Ohio way. 😉

    James Gang? Getting warmer, but think with Trent's NIN I think you may have nailed it.

    Akron's Chrissy Hynde deserves mention. Even was in a band with Mothersbaugh early-on. Knocked around KSU before ultimately moving to London where after fumbling around for a few years The Pretenders formed.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #21

    I guess it is based on where they were born, and part of a group, thus why people like Frank Sinatra and Elvis don't make the list.

    I forget whoever was listed for Georgia, but I can't get past the Allmond Bros or REM over them. Hell, I'll take Atlanta Rhythm Section over them.

  • Ah... my fav James Gang track.... but the Intro was lifted straight outta another track... want to say Laugh... but can't find find any such track.

    @westside-steve said:

    Not that I enjoy these bands but I would imagine Devo, especially Mark mothersbaugh, and maybe Nine Inch Nails would be among the top best known Ohio artist. Maybe Joe Walsh, maybe Eric Carmen?

    Nobody not from CLE knows The Raspberries... may as well opt for The Lemon Pipers from down Miami of Ohio way. 😉

    James Gang? Getting warmer, but think with Trent's NIN I think you may have nailed it.

    Akron's Chrissy Hynde deserves mention. Even was in a band with Mothersbaugh early-on. Knocked around KSU before ultimately moving to London where after fumbling around for a few years The Pretenders formed.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @tour2ma said:

    Ah... my fav James Gang track.... but the Intro was lifted straight outta another track... want to say Laugh... but can't find find any such track.

    Nobody not from CLE knows The Raspberries... may as well opt for The Lemon Pipers from down Miami of Ohio way. 😉

    James Gang? Getting warmer, but think with Trent's NIN I think you may have nailed it.

    Akron's Chrissy Hynde deserves mention. Even was in a band with Mothersbaugh early-on. Knocked around KSU before ultimately moving to London where after fumbling around for a few years The Pretenders formed.

    Raspberries we cult favorite but I said Eric Carmen. He's respectable but not the most well-known from Ohio.

    WSS

  • @tour2ma said:

    Ah... my fav James Gang track.... but the Intro was lifted straight outta another track... want to say Laugh... but can't find find any such track.

    Nobody not from CLE knows The Raspberries... may as well opt for The Lemon Pipers from down Miami of Ohio way. 😉

    James Gang? Getting warmer, but think with Trent's NIN I think you may have nailed it.

    Akron's Chrissy Hynde deserves mention. Even was in a band with Mothersbaugh early-on. Knocked around KSU before ultimately moving to London where after fumbling around for a few years The Pretenders formed.

    Raspberries we cult favorite but I said Eric Carmen. He's respectable but not the most well-known from Ohio.

    WSS

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @westside-steve said:

    Raspberries we cult favorite but I said Eric Carmen. He's respectable but not the most well-known from Ohio.

    WSS

    For what its worth, the following are the members of the Rock n Roll HOF that come from Ohio:

    The Isley Brothers Cincinnati

    The Moonglows Cleveland

    The O'Jays Canton

    Joe Walsh..as a member of the Eagles...though born in Wichita KS he got his musical start in Cleveland area

    Bobby Womack Cleveland

    Alan Freed. Raised and went to high school in Salem Oh. Went to Ohio St. DJed in Youngstown, Akron, Cleveland

    Syd Nathan Founder of King Records...from Cincinnati

    and Chrissie Hynde, Akron as a member of the Pretenders.

    Not sure if you would call one of these "the most famous" or not.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #24

    Other Acts from Ohio, not RRHOF:

    Black Keys

    Devo

    Waitresses

    Glass Harp

    The McGuire sisters

    The Mills Brothers

    Pure Prairie League

    The McCoys

    Bones Thugs and Harmony

    Tracy Chapman

    The Raspberries

    Eric Carmen (solo)

    The Outsiders

    Screamin' Jay Hawkins

    The James Gang

    Ben Orr (Cars)

    John Popper (Chardon...Blues Traveler)

    Macy Gray

    Marilyn Manson

    Boz Scaggs

    Michael Stanley

    The Choir

    These are ones I know. More recent acts/rap acts I don't know much about.

    And FYI...only Joe Walsh as a member of the Eagles is on any "best selling artist" list.

  • StinkHoleS StinkHole wrote on last edited by StinkHole
    #25

    Ten musicians you may have not known are from Pa.

    And I'm not a fan of any of them, although Henry Mancini was a brilliant composer.

    http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/pennsylvania/famous-musicians/

  • Other Acts from Ohio, not RRHOF:

    Black Keys

    Devo

    Waitresses

    Glass Harp

    The McGuire sisters

    The Mills Brothers

    Pure Prairie League

    The McCoys

    Bones Thugs and Harmony

    Tracy Chapman

    The Raspberries

    Eric Carmen (solo)

    The Outsiders

    Screamin' Jay Hawkins

    The James Gang

    Ben Orr (Cars)

    John Popper (Chardon...Blues Traveler)

    Macy Gray

    Marilyn Manson

    Boz Scaggs

    Michael Stanley

    The Choir

    These are ones I know. More recent acts/rap acts I don't know much about.

    And FYI...only Joe Walsh as a member of the Eagles is on any "best selling artist" list.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @the-gipper said:

    Other Acts from Ohio, not RRHOF:

    Black Keys

    Devo <---- my younger brother's favorite, behind my time

    Waitresses

    Glass Harp <---- saw them many times along with the Left End

    The McGuire sisters

    The Mills Brothers

    Pure Prairie League

    The McCoys <---- "Hang on Sloopy", just saw the documentary on them on TV

    Bones Thugs and Harmony

    Tracy Chapman

    The Raspberries

    Eric Carmen (solo)

    The Outsiders

    Screamin' Jay Hawkins

    The James Gang <---- always liked them in college

    Ben Orr (Cars)

    John Popper (Chardon...Blues Traveler)

    Macy Gray

    Marilyn Manson

    Boz Scaggs

    Michael Stanley <---- oldie but goodie

    The Choir

    These are ones I know. More recent acts/rap acts I don't know much about.

    And FYI...only Joe Walsh as a member of the Eagles is on any "best selling artist" list.

    Amazing how music brings back almost instant memories, same as sports for me. 🙂

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #27

    ALABAMA. Come on, guys....get serious....

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabama_(band)

  • Ten musicians you may have not known are from Pa.

    And I'm not a fan of any of them, although Henry Mancini was a brilliant composer.

    http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/pennsylvania/famous-musicians/

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @stinkhole said:

    Ten musicians you may have not known are from Pa.

    And I'm not a fan of any of them, although Henry Mancini was a brilliant composer.

    http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/pennsylvania/famous-musicians/

    Henry Mancini was from Cleveland.

  • @stinkhole said:

    Ten musicians you may have not known are from Pa.

    And I'm not a fan of any of them, although Henry Mancini was a brilliant composer.

    http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/pennsylvania/famous-musicians/

    Henry Mancini was from Cleveland.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #29

    @the-gipper said:

    Henry Mancini was from Cleveland.

    Barely, Mancini was born in the Little Italy neighborhood of Cleveland, and was raised near Pittsburgh, in the steel town of West Aliquippa, Pennsylvania. His parents immigrated from the Abruzzo region of Italy. Mancini's father, Quinto (born March 13, 1893, Scanno, Italy) was a steelworker, who made his only child begin piccolo lessons at the age of eight.

    When Mancini was 12 years old, he began piano lessons. Quinto and Henry played flute together in the Aliquippa Italian immigrant band, "Sons of Italy". After graduating from Aliquippa High School in 1942, Mancini attended the renowned Juilliard School of Music in New York. In 1943....

    ....I'll even bet he was a Steelers fan. 😆

  • @the-gipper said:

    Henry Mancini was from Cleveland.

    Barely, Mancini was born in the Little Italy neighborhood of Cleveland, and was raised near Pittsburgh, in the steel town of West Aliquippa, Pennsylvania. His parents immigrated from the Abruzzo region of Italy. Mancini's father, Quinto (born March 13, 1893, Scanno, Italy) was a steelworker, who made his only child begin piccolo lessons at the age of eight.

    When Mancini was 12 years old, he began piano lessons. Quinto and Henry played flute together in the Aliquippa Italian immigrant band, "Sons of Italy". After graduating from Aliquippa High School in 1942, Mancini attended the renowned Juilliard School of Music in New York. In 1943....

    ....I'll even bet he was a Steelers fan. 😆

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @mjp28 said:

    Barely, Mancini was born in the Little Italy neighborhood of Cleveland, and was raised near Pittsburgh, in the steel town of West Aliquippa, Pennsylvania. His parents immigrated from the Abruzzo region of Italy. Mancini's father, Quinto (born March 13, 1893, Scanno, Italy) was a steelworker, who made his only child begin piccolo lessons at the age of eight.

    When Mancini was 12 years old, he began piano lessons. Quinto and Henry played flute together in the Aliquippa Italian immigrant band, "Sons of Italy". After graduating from Aliquippa High School in 1942, Mancini attended the renowned Juilliard School of Music in New York. In 1943....

    ....I'll even bet he was a Steelers fan. 😆

    Fuck him then.

  • StinkHoleS StinkHole wrote on last edited by StinkHole
    #31

    Favorite Musicians/bands of every fan base.

    Goes to show you what age group dominates social media.

    Funny stuff:

    Snoop Dog is the favorite of Raider fans, yet Snoop is an avid Steelers fan.

    Wiz Khalifa is a Steelers fan, but the Ravens fan favorite.

    Steelers fan favorite is Usher...who is a Cavs fan and part owner.

    Browns fans...Machine Gun Kelly, go figure. LOL

    Buffalo fans have some class I see.

    http://www.adweek.com/digital/billboard-gridiron-grooves-nfl/

    Just realized this was three years old...eh so what.

  • Favorite Musicians/bands of every fan base.

    Goes to show you what age group dominates social media.

    Funny stuff:

    Snoop Dog is the favorite of Raider fans, yet Snoop is an avid Steelers fan.

    Wiz Khalifa is a Steelers fan, but the Ravens fan favorite.

    Steelers fan favorite is Usher...who is a Cavs fan and part owner.

    Browns fans...Machine Gun Kelly, go figure. LOL

    Buffalo fans have some class I see.

    http://www.adweek.com/digital/billboard-gridiron-grooves-nfl/

    Just realized this was three years old...eh so what.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @stinkhole said:

    Favorite Musicians/bands of every fan base.

    Goes to show you what age group dominates social media.

    Funny stuff:

    Snoop Dog is the favorite of Raider fans, yet Snoop is an avid Steelers fan.

    Wiz Khalifa is a Steelers fan, but the Ravens fan favorite.

    Steelers fan favorite is Usher...who is a Cavs fan and part owner.

    Browns fans...Machine Gun Kelly, go figure. LOL

    Buffalo fans have some class I see.

    http://www.adweek.com/digital/billboard-gridiron-grooves-nfl/

    Just realized this was three years old...eh so what.

    I don't think you would get many on here claiming that Machine Gun Kelly is Browns fans favorite musical act.

  • @stinkhole said:

    Favorite Musicians/bands of every fan base.

    Goes to show you what age group dominates social media.

    Funny stuff:

    Snoop Dog is the favorite of Raider fans, yet Snoop is an avid Steelers fan.

    Wiz Khalifa is a Steelers fan, but the Ravens fan favorite.

    Steelers fan favorite is Usher...who is a Cavs fan and part owner.

    Browns fans...Machine Gun Kelly, go figure. LOL

    Buffalo fans have some class I see.

    http://www.adweek.com/digital/billboard-gridiron-grooves-nfl/

    Just realized this was three years old...eh so what.

    I don't think you would get many on here claiming that Machine Gun Kelly is Browns fans favorite musical act.

    StinkHoleS StinkHole wrote on last edited by StinkHole
    #33

    @the-gipper said:

    I don't think you would get many on here claiming that Machine Gun Kelly is Browns fans favorite musical act.

    Oh believe me I'm sure, just by reading the posts on this thread...and just as well I'm sure that Usher isn't the fan favorite of those Browns fans counterparts over at Steeler Nation MB.

    Hell they don't even like Snoop.

    As I pointed out this survey was taken on social media (Facebook), possibly this poll could reflect what age group dominates it.