those wanting garoppolo
-
Unless it's a future 1st round pick, beyond 2017, no way. With 2 top 10 picks, the Browns can get 2 defensive studs, some combination of :
1. Garrett or Allen
and
2. Foster/Cunningham/Williams/Adams
Hell, seen some rumblings that project some of the QBs dropping to the 2nd round. So we know as much about the current draft eligible QBs as we do about Jimmy G. Nobody knows it's they're worth reaching for.
Trading away a high pick for a QB, regardless of his talent, and putting him behind that offensive line, is a waste. He'll end up in the hospital in preseason.
Side note : Last backup QB I can think of that got traded for a high pick, and ended up being worth anything, was Favre (who was a 2nd round draft pick), when GB gave Atlanta a 1st ... And I think at that time, he hadn't played for Atlanta at all and not much was known about his NFL potential.
-
Unless it's a future 1st round pick, beyond 2017, no way. With 2 top 10 picks, the Browns can get 2 defensive studs, some combination of :
1. Garrett or Allen
and
2. Foster/Cunningham/Williams/Adams
Hell, seen some rumblings that project some of the QBs dropping to the 2nd round. So we know as much about the current draft eligible QBs as we do about Jimmy G. Nobody knows it's they're worth reaching for.
Trading away a high pick for a QB, regardless of his talent, and putting him behind that offensive line, is a waste. He'll end up in the hospital in preseason.
Side note : Last backup QB I can think of that got traded for a high pick, and ended up being worth anything, was Favre (who was a 2nd round draft pick), when GB gave Atlanta a 1st ... And I think at that time, he hadn't played for Atlanta at all and not much was known about his NFL potential.
Unless it's a future 1st round pick, beyond 2017, no way. With 2 top 10 picks, the Browns can get 2 defensive studs, some combination of :
1. Garrett or Allen
and
2. Foster/Cunningham/Williams/Adams
Hell, seen some rumblings that project some of the QBs dropping to the 2nd round. So we know as much about the current draft eligible QBs as we do about Jimmy G. Nobody knows it's they're worth reaching for.
Trading away a high pick for a QB, regardless of his talent, and putting him behind that offensive line, is a waste. He'll end up in the hospital in preseason.
Side note : Last backup QB I can think of that got traded for a high pick, and ended up being worth anything, was Favre (who was a 2nd round draft pick), when GB gave Atlanta a 1st ... And I think at that time, he hadn't played for Atlanta at all and not much was known about his NFL potential.
I saw Favre play a few games in college.. I knew then he was gonna be a star... And I do believe he played a handful of games for Atlanta before being traded.
-
Unless it's a future 1st round pick, beyond 2017, no way. With 2 top 10 picks, the Browns can get 2 defensive studs, some combination of :
1. Garrett or Allen
and
2. Foster/Cunningham/Williams/Adams
Hell, seen some rumblings that project some of the QBs dropping to the 2nd round. So we know as much about the current draft eligible QBs as we do about Jimmy G. Nobody knows it's they're worth reaching for.
Trading away a high pick for a QB, regardless of his talent, and putting him behind that offensive line, is a waste. He'll end up in the hospital in preseason.
Side note : Last backup QB I can think of that got traded for a high pick, and ended up being worth anything, was Favre (who was a 2nd round draft pick), when GB gave Atlanta a 1st ... And I think at that time, he hadn't played for Atlanta at all and not much was known about his NFL potential.
Side note : Last backup QB I can think of that got traded for a high pick, and ended up being worth anything, was Favre (who was a 2nd round draft pick), when GB gave Atlanta a 1st ... And I think at that time, he hadn't played for Atlanta at all and not much was known about his NFL potential.
Trent Green acquired by the Chiefs for the 12th overall pick from the Rams. Started 88 consecutive games for them, two playoff seasons, 3 4,000yard seasons, two Pro Bowls
Mark Brunell for a 3rd and 5th (3 pro Bowls, 3 playoffs)
Alex Smith for a 2nd and 2nd (Pro bowl, 4 consecutive winning years)
Matt Hasslebeck for moving up 7 spots in the first and a third. (super bowl, 3 pro bowls)
Brad Johnson for a first and a third (super bowl, two pro bowls)
Not Hall of Famers, but a collective 11 Pro Bowls and two Super Bowl appearances since the last time we had any stability at all at the position.
We need a starting QB and we have a shitload of draft picks. I hope we don't sit back and watch other teams land starters while we dick around with reclamation projects and middle round reaches.
Garappolo will be starting for someone next year. I don't know if that team will be fools or kings, but if we throw Grif and Kess back out there then we are not really trying.
If Trubisky is a great as some seem to think, then I'm all in on that too.
My model for this team, and perhaps our Brass' too, is the 1989 Cowboys. Coming off a 3-13 team under Landry, Jimmy Johnson cut bait with all the vets and went young, young, young and got a treasure trove of draft picks
The result?
1-15
7-9
11-5 Playoffs
13-3 Super Bowl
But now, Jimmy didn't fuck around at the QB position when he took over. He drafted Aikman first overall and then, just to be sure, drafted Steve Walsh with a first round supplemental pick the same year.
Two first round picks to make sure he got the position right ... and you fuckers are afraid to spend one on the position.
I don't know if there is an Aikman in the draft, I don't know if Jimmy Garapollo is a 10 year Pro Bowl type guy ... but we need to stop fucking around at the most important position in sports. We've brought in about 30 losers while the other three teams in the division trot out the same quarterback and the same coach every freaking year and never draft in the Top 10 ... because they got it right.
Now get it right. Like Trub? draft him. Like Jimmy G? trade for him. Fuck, go ahead trade for Jimmy, draft Mahomo and bring Kessler back too.
But if we are still fucking around with RG3 and Kessler in year two of the plan ... then it's not really a plan.
It doesn't take five fucking years to get good in this league, it can be done in two ... But you gotta get the coach and the QB right. So this coach better get cast a big ol' line in the QB pool this year, because no one has more draft collateral, and no one needs a QB more.
Zombo
-
Unless it's a future 1st round pick, beyond 2017, no way. With 2 top 10 picks, the Browns can get 2 defensive studs, some combination of :
1. Garrett or Allen
and
2. Foster/Cunningham/Williams/Adams
Hell, seen some rumblings that project some of the QBs dropping to the 2nd round. So we know as much about the current draft eligible QBs as we do about Jimmy G. Nobody knows it's they're worth reaching for.
Trading away a high pick for a QB, regardless of his talent, and putting him behind that offensive line, is a waste. He'll end up in the hospital in preseason.
Side note : Last backup QB I can think of that got traded for a high pick, and ended up being worth anything, was Favre (who was a 2nd round draft pick), when GB gave Atlanta a 1st ... And I think at that time, he hadn't played for Atlanta at all and not much was known about his NFL potential.
I saw Favre play a few games in college.. I knew then he was gonna be a star... And I do believe he played a handful of games for Atlanta before being traded.
-
Side note : Last backup QB I can think of that got traded for a high pick, and ended up being worth anything, was Favre (who was a 2nd round draft pick), when GB gave Atlanta a 1st ... And I think at that time, he hadn't played for Atlanta at all and not much was known about his NFL potential.
Trent Green acquired by the Chiefs for the 12th overall pick from the Rams. Started 88 consecutive games for them, two playoff seasons, 3 4,000yard seasons, two Pro Bowls
Mark Brunell for a 3rd and 5th (3 pro Bowls, 3 playoffs)
Alex Smith for a 2nd and 2nd (Pro bowl, 4 consecutive winning years)
Matt Hasslebeck for moving up 7 spots in the first and a third. (super bowl, 3 pro bowls)
Brad Johnson for a first and a third (super bowl, two pro bowls)
Not Hall of Famers, but a collective 11 Pro Bowls and two Super Bowl appearances since the last time we had any stability at all at the position.
We need a starting QB and we have a shitload of draft picks. I hope we don't sit back and watch other teams land starters while we dick around with reclamation projects and middle round reaches.
Garappolo will be starting for someone next year. I don't know if that team will be fools or kings, but if we throw Grif and Kess back out there then we are not really trying.
If Trubisky is a great as some seem to think, then I'm all in on that too.
My model for this team, and perhaps our Brass' too, is the 1989 Cowboys. Coming off a 3-13 team under Landry, Jimmy Johnson cut bait with all the vets and went young, young, young and got a treasure trove of draft picks
The result?
1-15
7-9
11-5 Playoffs
13-3 Super Bowl
But now, Jimmy didn't fuck around at the QB position when he took over. He drafted Aikman first overall and then, just to be sure, drafted Steve Walsh with a first round supplemental pick the same year.
Two first round picks to make sure he got the position right ... and you fuckers are afraid to spend one on the position.
I don't know if there is an Aikman in the draft, I don't know if Jimmy Garapollo is a 10 year Pro Bowl type guy ... but we need to stop fucking around at the most important position in sports. We've brought in about 30 losers while the other three teams in the division trot out the same quarterback and the same coach every freaking year and never draft in the Top 10 ... because they got it right.
Now get it right. Like Trub? draft him. Like Jimmy G? trade for him. Fuck, go ahead trade for Jimmy, draft Mahomo and bring Kessler back too.
But if we are still fucking around with RG3 and Kessler in year two of the plan ... then it's not really a plan.
It doesn't take five fucking years to get good in this league, it can be done in two ... But you gotta get the coach and the QB right. So this coach better get cast a big ol' line in the QB pool this year, because no one has more draft collateral, and no one needs a QB more.
Zombo
Zombo said:
Trent Green acquired by the Chiefs for the 12th overall pick from the Rams. Started 88 consecutive games for them, two playoff seasons, 3 4,000yard seasons, two Pro Bowls
Mark Brunell for a 3rd and 5th (3 pro Bowls, 3 playoffs)
Alex Smith for a 2nd and 2nd (Pro bowl, 4 consecutive winning years)
Matt Hasslebeck for moving up 7 spots in the first and a third. (super bowl, 3 pro bowls)
Brad Johnson for a first and a third (super bowl, two pro bowls)
Not Hall of Famers, but a collective 11 Pro Bowls and two Super Bowl appearances since the last time we had any stability at all at the position.
We need a starting QB and we have a shitload of draft picks. I hope we don't sit back and watch other teams land starters while we dick around with reclamation projects and middle round reaches.
Garappolo will be starting for someone next year. I don't know if that team will be fools or kings, but if we throw Grif and Kess back out there then we are not really trying.
If Trubisky is a great as some seem to think, then I'm all in on that too.
My model for this team, and perhaps our Brass' too, is the 1989 Cowboys. Coming off a 3-13 team under Landry, Jimmy Johnson cut bait with all the vets and went young, young, young and got a treasure trove of draft picks
The result?
1-15
7-9
11-5 Playoffs
13-3 Super Bowl
But now, Jimmy didn't fuck around at the QB position when he took over. He drafted Aikman first overall and then, just to be sure, drafted Steve Walsh with a first round supplemental pick the same year.
Two first round picks to make sure he got the position right ... and you fuckers are afraid to spend one on the position.
I don't know if there is an Aikman in the draft, I don't know if Jimmy Garapollo is a 10 year Pro Bowl type guy ... but we need to stop fucking around at the most important position in sports. We've brought in about 30 losers while the other three teams in the division trot out the same quarterback and the same coach every freaking year and never draft in the Top 10 ... because they got it right.
Now get it right. Like Trub? draft him. Like Jimmy G? trade for him. Fuck, go ahead trade for Jimmy, draft Mahomo and bring Kessler back too.
But if we are still fucking around with RG3 and Kessler in year two of the plan ... then it's not really a plan.
It doesn't take five fucking years to get good in this league, it can be done in two ... But you gotta get the coach and the QB right. So this coach better get cast a big ol' line in the QB pool this year, because no one has more draft collateral, and no one needs a QB more.
Zombo
Wow ... I missed the boat on those trades. For some reason, I keep thinking Smith to KC was a free agent. But yeah, some great numbers to support your argument, Z.
Though, didn't they go to teams who were already in good position to succeed? Trading for a guy now .. He would be wasted while they build all the other pieces around him. Then he's 5 years down the road, if he stays healthy that long, before the team is ready to compete .. But then you're looking for a franchise QB all over again.
I wanted Garrapolo coming out of college. Just don't like the idea of giving up a high pick on an unknown commodity ... But now that I think about it, all college draft picks are unknown commodity. The words 'Courtney Brown' come to mind.
With 2 high picks, in a defense deep 1st round, we could get 2 difference makers for the front 7. Garrett opposite Ogbah? Then an impact linebacker? And IF (big if) they can lock up Collins, the defense is immediately better. (again, if the draft picks live up to their billing)
Then in round 2, add an OLine, and maybe a good, all around TE, and you start to improve the offense. ( Or maybe even a safety or CB. )
Hey, I want a franchise guy too, but nothing about Jimmy G. or the first 3 guys off the board (Trubisky, Watson, Kizer) ... Jump out and say franchise.
Who knows anymore ... We all want the team to be better .. Infinitely better, and we don't care how they do it .... Just want them to get it done.
I just wish it was a quick fix. Thank God I'm right at the half century mark ... Might see a Super Bowl appearance in my life. Lol
-
Zombo said:
Trent Green acquired by the Chiefs for the 12th overall pick from the Rams. Started 88 consecutive games for them, two playoff seasons, 3 4,000yard seasons, two Pro Bowls
Mark Brunell for a 3rd and 5th (3 pro Bowls, 3 playoffs)
Alex Smith for a 2nd and 2nd (Pro bowl, 4 consecutive winning years)
Matt Hasslebeck for moving up 7 spots in the first and a third. (super bowl, 3 pro bowls)
Brad Johnson for a first and a third (super bowl, two pro bowls)
Not Hall of Famers, but a collective 11 Pro Bowls and two Super Bowl appearances since the last time we had any stability at all at the position.
We need a starting QB and we have a shitload of draft picks. I hope we don't sit back and watch other teams land starters while we dick around with reclamation projects and middle round reaches.
Garappolo will be starting for someone next year. I don't know if that team will be fools or kings, but if we throw Grif and Kess back out there then we are not really trying.
If Trubisky is a great as some seem to think, then I'm all in on that too.
My model for this team, and perhaps our Brass' too, is the 1989 Cowboys. Coming off a 3-13 team under Landry, Jimmy Johnson cut bait with all the vets and went young, young, young and got a treasure trove of draft picks
The result?
1-15
7-9
11-5 Playoffs
13-3 Super Bowl
But now, Jimmy didn't fuck around at the QB position when he took over. He drafted Aikman first overall and then, just to be sure, drafted Steve Walsh with a first round supplemental pick the same year.
Two first round picks to make sure he got the position right ... and you fuckers are afraid to spend one on the position.
I don't know if there is an Aikman in the draft, I don't know if Jimmy Garapollo is a 10 year Pro Bowl type guy ... but we need to stop fucking around at the most important position in sports. We've brought in about 30 losers while the other three teams in the division trot out the same quarterback and the same coach every freaking year and never draft in the Top 10 ... because they got it right.
Now get it right. Like Trub? draft him. Like Jimmy G? trade for him. Fuck, go ahead trade for Jimmy, draft Mahomo and bring Kessler back too.
But if we are still fucking around with RG3 and Kessler in year two of the plan ... then it's not really a plan.
It doesn't take five fucking years to get good in this league, it can be done in two ... But you gotta get the coach and the QB right. So this coach better get cast a big ol' line in the QB pool this year, because no one has more draft collateral, and no one needs a QB more.
Zombo
Wow ... I missed the boat on those trades. For some reason, I keep thinking Smith to KC was a free agent. But yeah, some great numbers to support your argument, Z.
Though, didn't they go to teams who were already in good position to succeed? Trading for a guy now .. He would be wasted while they build all the other pieces around him. Then he's 5 years down the road, if he stays healthy that long, before the team is ready to compete .. But then you're looking for a franchise QB all over again.
I wanted Garrapolo coming out of college. Just don't like the idea of giving up a high pick on an unknown commodity ... But now that I think about it, all college draft picks are unknown commodity. The words 'Courtney Brown' come to mind.
With 2 high picks, in a defense deep 1st round, we could get 2 difference makers for the front 7. Garrett opposite Ogbah? Then an impact linebacker? And IF (big if) they can lock up Collins, the defense is immediately better. (again, if the draft picks live up to their billing)
Then in round 2, add an OLine, and maybe a good, all around TE, and you start to improve the offense. ( Or maybe even a safety or CB. )
Hey, I want a franchise guy too, but nothing about Jimmy G. or the first 3 guys off the board (Trubisky, Watson, Kizer) ... Jump out and say franchise.
Who knows anymore ... We all want the team to be better .. Infinitely better, and we don't care how they do it .... Just want them to get it done.
I just wish it was a quick fix. Thank God I'm right at the half century mark ... Might see a Super Bowl appearance in my life. Lol
Wow ... I missed the boat on those trades. For some reason, I keep thinking Smith to KC was a free agent. But yeah, some great numbers to support your argument, Z.
Though, didn't they go to teams who were already in good position to succeed? Trading for a guy now .. He would be wasted while they build all the other pieces around him. Then he's 5 years down the road, if he stays healthy that long, before the team is ready to compete .. But then you're looking for a franchise QB all over again.
I wanted Garrapolo coming out of college. Just don't like the idea of giving up a high pick on an unknown commodity ... But now that I think about it, all college draft picks are unknown commodity. The words 'Courtney Brown' come to mind.
With 2 high picks, in a defense deep 1st round, we could get 2 difference makers for the front 7. Garrett opposite Ogbah? Then an impact linebacker? And IF (big if) they can lock up Collins, the defense is immediately better. (again, if the draft picks live up to their billing)
Then in round 2, add an OLine, and maybe a good, all around TE, and you start to improve the offense. ( Or maybe even a safety or CB. )
Hey, I want a franchise guy too, but nothing about Jimmy G. or the first 3 guys off the board (Trubisky, Watson, Kizer) ... Jump out and say franchise.
Who knows anymore ... We all want the team to be better .. Infinitely better, and we don't care how they do it .... Just want them to get it done.
I just wish it was a quick fix. Thank God I'm right at the half century mark ... Might see a Super Bowl appearance in my life. Lol
I hope you do.
I lean toward Garrapollo (someday I will learn how many r's p's and l's in the name, and where the a's and o's go)being really good, and that's the crux of my argument for him, but if the Browns Brass like someone else then go for him ... just please go for something better. This whole "Let's draft defense and roll with Kessler thing" sounds good, except it doesn't make Kessler's feet quicker or arm stronger. Those things need to happen. Those are big question marks.
JG has looked sharp every time I have seen him, and I liked him out of school.
(As I type this, Trub throws a pick six, third turnover of game)
JG put up 54 points in six quarters against Arizona and Miami this year, two legit NFL defenses. 4 Tds, no picks, 70% comp and 8 y/a. He's not playing Stanford or against backups in the preseason ... those are real bullets against NFL speed.
It's a small sample size, yes, but it takes balls to win in this league. Study his film, and if you like him, pony up.
Zombo
-
Just photoshop a quote from him saying he wants to be a Brown. The natives would go bananas.
-
I balked at the price tag, but Zombo has sold me (and THAT is the beauty of messageboards).
You really have to just ask yourself:
1. Do you want a QB with one of our first round picks?
2. Who's the better prospect: Garropollo NOW or Trubisky (or whoever you like) now?
You can't tell me any QB in this draft is a better prospect than JG.
I like Tour's idea. Trade down then trade out.
I balked at the price tag, but Zombo has sold me (and THAT is the beauty of messageboards).
You really have to just ask yourself:
1. Do you want a QB with one of our first round picks?
2. Who's the better prospect: Garropollo NOW or Trubisky (or whoever you like) now?
You can't tell me any QB in this draft is a better prospect than JG.
I like Tour's idea. Trade down then trade out.
Thanks, but that's purely a desperation, "if we must" move in my book. Just pointed out there is a wide range of options that meet the Pats alleged asking price. And we have to remember that is all it is, an opening price. The Pats reportedly asked the same for Mallet.
I wasn't a Jimmy G guy when he came out of college. I think there a couple other QBs, even in this year's "lean" draft, that I'd rather see us grow with and think can grow with us.
I do not think we need a "now" QB. We are still at least a year from being a "now" team.
-
and belichick moves his queen into checkmate position.
if you don't see this trap scenario you are friggin blind. J.G. is more fragile than RG3. he just hasn't been tagged in NE like he will be here in cleveland behind this sorry ass OL.
you better hope for the next cam or ben to play in cleveland cuz anything else their gonna crack like humpty dumpty.
-
IMO Any QB should and would love to come to the Land and be the reason We start winning again. Why go to NE and ride on Brady's coat tail? Be the reason we go from 1-15 to 8-8 to a 10-6 season!
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login