Skip to content

Trade Down Implications

The Browns Board
40 19 2.9k
  • @joesixpat said:

    A few additional points that should be noted:

    First of all, I agree - trading down for quantity over quality is EXACTLY what the Browns needed to do.

    They were relatively inactive in free agency so they needed bodies in a big way from the draft - it was clear to everyone that Cleveland was probably the team most desperate to trade back. That created a what is essentially a win win trade with the Jets - a fair trade on all sides I'd say...but also left the Browns taking much less in value trading back later for paltry 6th round draft picks.

    But beyond that, the only thing we can say for sure about the draft picks is that no one knows how good they'll be.

    Whether its a 1st rounder or 7th, no one can say whether these guys are players or busts. Browns fans of all people should understand that a first round pick can be VERY disappointing.

    And while some of the vets that have been picked up certainly may start or be in the rotation, one shouldn't get too excited about that. None of these vets were let go because they're pro-bowlers. On their current teams they weren't deemed valuable enough to keep, and certainly not starters. Given the state of the Browns, it may be likely they'll start here - but that's not necessarilly a good thing.

    At the end of the day SOMEONE needs to start - they don't have to be good - just better than the alternative on the team.

    Of course you pretty much can say the same thing about a lot of teams - and certainly all the rookies. That's part of the benefit to drafting quantity over quality... there's lots of Top 10 picks that have been turds and busts - but draft enough 6th rounders and even undrafted rookies, and you're sure to find a few diamonds in the rough... simple law of averages.

    You really break down the obvious for us dumb Browns fans very well Joe, thanks a lot bro.

    @riffer-x said:

    You really break down the obvious for us dumb Browns fans very well Joe, thanks a lot bro.

    Sorry - I thought the original poster was actually excited about the picks. So you're saying he was being facetious? If so his sarcasm was lost on me.

  • No, Riff's just thanking you for 1) restating the obvious and 2) talking to us like we're football Retarded.

    And remember, just because the team we root for is worse than the one you root for doesn't make you any smarter than us.

  • No, Riff's just thanking you for 1) restating the obvious and 2) talking to us like we're football Retarded.

    And remember, just because the team we root for is worse than the one you root for doesn't make you any smarter than us.

    mz. said:

    No, Riff's just thanking you for 1) restating the obvious and 2) talking to us like we're football Retarded.

    And remember, just because the team we root for is worse than the one you root for doesn't make you any smarter than us.

    mz the pussy, what you don't understand is Joe is a NE fan and they are like, really good and really smart. Therefore, he knows football better than us podunk midwestern types. Factor in he's probably from the uber intelligent NE area or Boston and we should feel very fortunate to have him explain football to us.

    Remember, he has Belichick for a coach and we wouldn't know anything about him. Plus, when your team sucks it is pretty difficult to actually understand football.

  • No, Riff's just thanking you for 1) restating the obvious and 2) talking to us like we're football Retarded.

    And remember, just because the team we root for is worse than the one you root for doesn't make you any smarter than us.

    mz. said:

    No, Riff's just thanking you for 1) restating the obvious and 2) talking to us like we're football Retarded.

    Fair enough - but if anyone thinks that any of the draft picks are guaranteed to be good players, they ARE Retarded. That goes for the Patriots as well as the Browns.

    They could ALL be busts for all any of us can say at this point... probably not, but many or even most could be busts - and even though players that would be cut in a second by other teams could be be the best players on the Browns, thats really not a good thing.

  • I'm not sure what people refer to exactly when they talk about a #1 or #2 WR, but Hines Ward, while he may not be the classic #1 but a #1 he is. The guy has averaged 80 catches a year since he started ten years ago.

    @oldcrow1945 said:

    I'm not sure what people refer to exactly when they talk about a #1 or #2 WR, but Hines Ward, while he may not be the classic #1 but a #1 he is. The guy has averaged 80 catches a year since he started ten years ago.

    That's the point about Robiskie I was trying to make. He's been the linch pin of that receiving corps for so long I want to throw up in my mouth every time I think about it. Their #1's have come and gone, but there he is still today making every big and little play.

    You can go around the league and identify someone like that on every successful passing team, yet all people want to talk about is the #1 receivers around the league. Remember Moss in NE two years ago? The NFL media were creaming all over themselves about this guy, but who was really moving the chains in Foxboro? Wes Welker with about a bajillion catches.

  • I thought reggie wayne was a #2, so if thats true then robiskie can be a #2 all day. Fact is without a good #2 the #1 stinks

  • I thought reggie wayne was a #2, so if thats true then robiskie can be a #2 all day. Fact is without a good #2 the #1 stinks

    @hammertime said:

    I thought reggie wayne was a #2, so if thats true then robiskie can be a #2 all day. Fact is without a good #2 the #1 stinks

    Good point, hammer, and you can really flip that around and say the same thing. I guess that's true all over the field, though. Since Fraley sucked last year, it seemed like our guards were taking a crap. Well, that's over with if Mack is the real deal. We could have a return to the line of '07 this year, and Jamal will have one more moment in the sun if so. If you don't believe it, cue up the Monday night tape vs. NYG. He was running all over their ass when we had our projected starting O-line for the one and only time last year.

    Back to the WRs for a moment. Doesn't this corps now remind you of what we had during the Couch/Holcomb era? Several solid guys but not spectacular. Only now we have someone in Edwards who is a true #1. The ball is in your court, Braylon . . . don't drop it.

  • Thanks to everyone who has added to this thread. Combined, the ideas here have really put a different light on this years draft.

    Over the past years...the Browns have gone for the BIG OOOOOH pick. The knock your socks off blockbuster that is supposed to turn the team around immediately....and although we have had some immediate results on occasion, they have lacked staying power.

    This draft, while not being dazzling, has the feel of longevity and planning. Of turning the TEAM around instead of adding a flashy PIECE.

    I am excited...not because of one individual pick or player...but because we brought in ENOUGH picks and players to get improvement on SEVERAL areas of this team. (hope JoeSixPat is able to understand that)

    Anyway...this discussion has been great...and to everyone who has added another piece to the puzzle...THANKS!!!

  • @oldcrow1945 said:

    I'm not sure what people refer to exactly when they talk about a #1 or #2 WR, but Hines Ward, while he may not be the classic #1 but a #1 he is. The guy has averaged 80 catches a year since he started ten years ago.

    That's the point about Robiskie I was trying to make. He's been the linch pin of that receiving corps for so long I want to throw up in my mouth every time I think about it. Their #1's have come and gone, but there he is still today making every big and little play.

    You can go around the league and identify someone like that on every successful passing team, yet all people want to talk about is the #1 receivers around the league. Remember Moss in NE two years ago? The NFL media were creaming all over themselves about this guy, but who was really moving the chains in Foxboro? Wes Welker with about a bajillion catches.

    @nw-ohio-brownie said:

    You can go around the league and identify someone like that on every successful passing team, yet all people want to talk about is the #1 receivers around the league. Remember Moss in NE two years ago? The NFL media were creaming all over themselves about this guy, but who was really moving the chains in Foxboro? Wes Welker with about a bajillion catches.

    You're correct. My favorite example is Arizona. While Fitzgerald is their obvious #1, Boldin and Breaston had 89 and 77 catches respectively.

    You can double Fitzgerald all day long but then you leave Boldin and/or Breaston in single coverage. In the end all three are going to hurt you.

  • Exactly. Most, if not all great number ones had a good, if not very good, number two.

    Rice had Taylor.

    Irvin had Harper.

    Monk had Clark.

    Harrison had Wayne. Now Wayne has help, too.

    Even Slaughter had Langhorne 🙂

    Who has Edwards had?

  • Thanks to everyone who has added to this thread. Combined, the ideas here have really put a different light on this years draft.

    Over the past years...the Browns have gone for the BIG OOOOOH pick. The knock your socks off blockbuster that is supposed to turn the team around immediately....and although we have had some immediate results on occasion, they have lacked staying power.

    This draft, while not being dazzling, has the feel of longevity and planning. Of turning the TEAM around instead of adding a flashy PIECE.

    I am excited...not because of one individual pick or player...but because we brought in ENOUGH picks and players to get improvement on SEVERAL areas of this team. (hope JoeSixPat is able to understand that)

    Anyway...this discussion has been great...and to everyone who has added another piece to the puzzle...THANKS!!!

    @wpb-dawg-fan said:

    I am excited...not because of one individual pick or player...but because we brought in ENOUGH picks and players to get improvement on SEVERAL areas of this team. (hope JoeSixPat is able to understand that)

    Anyway...this discussion has been great...and to everyone who has added another piece to the puzzle...THANKS!!!

    Yes - that was my exact point... not sure how you missed that. But suffice to say that while ALL of the picks could be good players - there's also the chance that NONE of them will.

    But chances are SOME of them will - just always wise to keep in mind that even first round picks aren't guaranteed success - something I supect everyone in Cleveland should understand.

  • @wpb-dawg-fan said:

    I am excited...not because of one individual pick or player...but because we brought in ENOUGH picks and players to get improvement on SEVERAL areas of this team. (hope JoeSixPat is able to understand that)

    Anyway...this discussion has been great...and to everyone who has added another piece to the puzzle...THANKS!!!

    Yes - that was my exact point... not sure how you missed that. But suffice to say that while ALL of the picks could be good players - there's also the chance that NONE of them will.

    But chances are SOME of them will - just always wise to keep in mind that even first round picks aren't guaranteed success - something I supect everyone in Cleveland should understand.

    @joesixpat said:

    Yes - that was my exact point... not sure how you missed that. But suffice to say that while ALL of the picks could be good players - there's also the chance that NONE of them will.

    But chances are SOME of them will - just always wise to keep in mind that even first round picks aren't guaranteed success - something I supect everyone in Cleveland should understand.

    They will all be great picks cuz Mangini is truly genius.

    I have no clue what you mean about the Browns and having failed first rounders. Perhaps you could enlighten us on those picks since I can't remember any. Thanks

  • This Pats Fan just keeps dropping the science here, so to speak. Just mindblowing shit. I mean, I have learned so much about football in general, and the Browns in specific, from this football savant that I feel like a new man.

    Thank you JoeSixPat!

  • @wpb-dawg-fan said:

    I am excited...not because of one individual pick or player...but because we brought in ENOUGH picks and players to get improvement on SEVERAL areas of this team. (hope JoeSixPat is able to understand that)

    Anyway...this discussion has been great...and to everyone who has added another piece to the puzzle...THANKS!!!

    Yes - that was my exact point... not sure how you missed that. But suffice to say that while ALL of the picks could be good players - there's also the chance that NONE of them will.

    But chances are SOME of them will - just always wise to keep in mind that even first round picks aren't guaranteed success - something I supect everyone in Cleveland should understand.

    @joesixpat said:

    just always wise to keep in mind that even first round picks aren't guaranteed success

    Like look at this gem.

    I never thought of it that way!!!

  • @joesixpat said:

    just always wise to keep in mind that even first round picks aren't guaranteed success

    Like look at this gem.

    I never thought of it that way!!!

    mz. said:

    Like look at this gem.

    I never thought of it that way!!!

    I hate to break this to you mz the pussy but I was actually aware of this. Apparently there have been a couple busts in the past for the Browns, so it does happen.

    I had completely forgotten about it though, so a million thanks goes to SixPat for reminding us all that indeed, not every first round draft pick is a guaranteed success.

    I feel ready to take on the world with my new found football IQ.

  • you know...I probably should have taken that into account when I first started this post....my GOD!!! The Browns may have actually NOT gotten an automatic pro-bowler at Center for the next 10 years? REALLY?

    I guess I should re-enroll in the PATRIOTS WAY 101 course. I must have missed out on some of the key points.

  • John- Unreal opening post.

    It's a shame it has started to deviate from the topic, but ya'll are making me weak with the flame session you've unleashed on Billy Buckner here. Keep it up.