Skip to content

Tiamat's tale of the tape.

The Browns Board
27 9 1.1k
  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #1

    We gave this a go last year with mixed results. Simple concept, we used a medium like GoToMeeting or Skype, I share screen and we watch, discect and share our thoughts on the film of a pre-determined set of players. I'd like to shoot for either this or next Sunday. That would be the 8th or 15th.

    I'm looking at going defensive front the first time around. We can beat to death Allen vs Garrett all day so I feel taking a look at Barnett of Tennessee, Williams of Bama, Watt at Wisconsin and a couple other prospects. Suggestions are welcomed, including linebackers.

    If there's any interest, this is the time and thread to share it.

  • ATENEARSA ATENEARS wrote on last edited by
    #2

    Very cool and a great idea. Thanks for taking the time to organize this.

    I suggest skipping film on Jabrill Peppers, I hate watching that team play and he is so overrated.

  • BrownsnMoparB BrownsnMopar wrote on last edited by
    #3

    I second Jabrill Peppers being BANISHED from any Cleveland Browns draft thoughts,thinking,talk,discussion,in other words BANNED from our draft board!!! NEXT!!!

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #4

    Seen enough of JabriLLL to know better. Jake Butt on the other hand?... next level.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #5

    Just need to know who would be willing to participate and which date would be best for you...

  • BrownsnMoparB BrownsnMopar wrote on last edited by
    #6

    Would love to participate in a round table provided I can navigate the technology! 🙂

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
    #7

    Looking forward to it.. you and tour add a lot for those of us who are interested in the details

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #8

    Time zones...?

  • Time zones...?

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @gftchris said:

    Time zones...?

    Yes... I am in one... 🙂

    Can't see group "watching", but were we to each review tape before hand on a handful of prospects, then bring our thoughts and video examples to the "meeting", then I could get interested in at the "right time". One great benefit I can see is collectively getting deeper into the draft.

    That said the right time for me is not now. Until the declaration deadline passes (Jan 18 this year) I'm not really starting my "scouting" in earnest.

  • @gftchris said:

    Time zones...?

    Yes... I am in one... 🙂

    Can't see group "watching", but were we to each review tape before hand on a handful of prospects, then bring our thoughts and video examples to the "meeting", then I could get interested in at the "right time". One great benefit I can see is collectively getting deeper into the draft.

    That said the right time for me is not now. Until the declaration deadline passes (Jan 18 this year) I'm not really starting my "scouting" in earnest.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #10

    I'm in EST and would plan on hosting on that time zone.

    Gunning for 'NEXT' Sunday, 1/15. I think if done right we could make this work.

    I.E. lead the film, stop before a given play, recognize formation, let the play go, pause and then go in order on who would like to give their 2cents. Given this would involve at minimum several people, I'd want to condense our viewing to only a very few prospects - 5 at most.

    @tour2ma said:

    , but were we to each review tape before hand on a handful of prospects, then bring our thoughts and video examples to the "meeting"

    Also a solid idea. One I'd like to apply to more mid-round targets where the draft pool and the opinions on a player become increasingly subjective.
  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #11

    You could make it a semi-regular thing - once every month or so? People can suggest names to break down film on and see what the board gurus think.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #12

    I think divvying up players would be a solid way to go. Could use the CBS list. All hit the top five or so, and then divvy up the next 15 or so depending on position, e.g., more WRs & CBs, fewer Centers & FSs.

    Also positions could be divided up for folks to do all, or nearly all, of one(s) that they are more interested in. This would put at least two sets of eyes on each player. For me this would be OTs and OGs... Cs, I can live without.

  • ATENEARSA ATENEARS wrote on last edited by
    #13

    All good ideas. I like the idea of having a set day/time each month that all could plan for. I'm in, and I will work around the dates/times ... just set one.

  • All good ideas. I like the idea of having a set day/time each month that all could plan for. I'm in, and I will work around the dates/times ... just set one.

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @atenears said:

    All good ideas. I like the idea of having a set day/time each month that all could plan for. I'm in, and I will work around the dates/times ... just set one.

    I'd attend if I was around just to observe and learn more. I'm not anywhere near qualifed to break down film.

  • I second Jabrill Peppers being BANISHED from any Cleveland Browns draft thoughts,thinking,talk,discussion,in other words BANNED from our draft board!!! NEXT!!!

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @brownsnmopar said:

    I second Jabrill Peppers being BANISHED from any Cleveland Browns draft thoughts,thinking,talk,discussion,in other words BANNED from our draft board!!! NEXT!!!

    uhhh why?

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #16

    just do one side of the ball at a time

  • @brownsnmopar said:

    I second Jabrill Peppers being BANISHED from any Cleveland Browns draft thoughts,thinking,talk,discussion,in other words BANNED from our draft board!!! NEXT!!!

    uhhh why?

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @clevfan4life said:

    uhhh why?

    We prefer our DB's to be a little more... DBish.

  • Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #18

    If you do Skype, I'm in and I'm wearing nothing but a Speedo.

    Zombo

  • If you do Skype, I'm in and I'm wearing nothing but a Speedo.

    Zombo

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #19

    Zombo said:

    If you do Skype, I'm in and I'm wearing nothing but a Speedo.

    Zombo

    I'm out

  • @atenears said:

    All good ideas. I like the idea of having a set day/time each month that all could plan for. I'm in, and I will work around the dates/times ... just set one.

    I'd attend if I was around just to observe and learn more. I'm not anywhere near qualifed to break down film.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #20

    Why the Speedo?

    @mark-o said:

    I'd attend if I was around just to observe and learn more. I'm not anywhere near qualifed to break down film.

    Screw that... it ain't rocket science. 🙂

    Seriously, you can only learn by doing and then comparing notes.

    When you focus on one player captured in a video cut up, it's not hard to determine whether he wins or loses his battle. Pretty soon you then start seeing patterns in why players win or lose. If in some plays you don't end up having any idea what his assignment was, then odds are he did not either.

    There you're trained... 🙂

    Seriously start with a line position... whichever side of the ball you enjoy most. Did the DE guess/pick a side, or did he control and read his blocker? Did the LG miss a stunt because he wasn't quick enough, or did he not see it because he dropped his head initially double teaming the NT? It's really about gauging athleticism, which can't be taught, vs. technique, which can be.

    Then move to the RBs and/or LBs where reaction/anticipation are even bigger factors.

    WRs, DBs and QBs leave for later. Unless you have all-22 footage available they are very hard to evaluate and even experienced amateur evaluators end up with impressions or educated guesses at best, e.g., was the QB going thru progressions, how well did the CB turn out of his back-peddle, how crisp was the WR's cut and did he come back to the ball?