Up the Middle Pressure
-
We talk about the need for an edge rusher for the Browns. But, in my opinion, the BEST pressure that a defense can put on a QB is the pressure that come right in his face. Up the middle pressure. Nothing disrupts a QB more than the pocket collapsing in front of him. So, yes, it is fine to have a DE or OLB come swooping around the edge to get at a QB.....but, I have always been told that the shortest distance between two spots is s straight line. And having someone blow over the center or guards, or shoot the gaps between them is the best pressure.
And while Danny Shelton is vastly improved, I still am not seeing where he is often overpowering the OL on his way to the QB, or putting on the burst that gets him through the holes to get there.
So, now, what do the Browns do about this? Will going back to the 4-3...if that is what we do under Williams...help. And what do we have up front besides Shelton that can accomplish this?
Or...who do we draft/acquire to do this?
Would this be a more appropriate job for a blitzing MLB? Who? Any of the combo of Kirksey/Davis/Colins?
All I am saying is that I think this approach is just as critical...or more so than an edge rusher would be.
-
Should we keep our eye on Carlos Watkins, senior DT at Clemson tonight?
I can think of a perfect example of what I am talking about....another Clemson guy: Michael Dean Perry.
To paraphrase Archie and Edith Bunker: "We can use a man like Michael Dean Perry again".
Fair to say?
-
If middle pressure is what is needed, the combo of Shelton and Jonathan Allen could be what Williams is looking for. With the Rams, WIlliams had Aaron McDonald at DT. Allen fits that profile.
-
Gip remember that sheltons responsibility in the 3-4 is mostly to soak up double teams and hold his gaps. Getting upfield is an afterthought. And in that respect he was rated as the best in the league no? So in the 4-3 he might be turned loose more. But im sure the new dc will also use im to spring the other frontline guys loose.
Frankly i see big things from our front 4, especially if we get allen or garett. Lb'ers might be a different story.
-
If middle pressure is what is needed, the combo of Shelton and Jonathan Allen could be what Williams is looking for. With the Rams, WIlliams had Aaron McDonald at DT. Allen fits that profile.
If middle pressure is what is needed, the combo of Shelton and Jonathan Allen could be what Williams is looking for. With the Rams, WIlliams had Aaron McDonald at DT. Allen fits that profile.
I dont mind using allen as DT on passing downs. But im gonna be upset if he's not used mainly as the strong side DE. He would absolutelyy lock down the edge on his side.
-
If middle pressure is what is needed, the combo of Shelton and Jonathan Allen could be what Williams is looking for. With the Rams, WIlliams had Aaron McDonald at DT. Allen fits that profile.
I dont mind using allen as DT on passing downs. But im gonna be upset if he's not used mainly as the strong side DE. He would absolutelyy lock down the edge on his side.
I dont mind using allen as DT on passing downs. But im gonna be upset if he's not used mainly as the strong side DE. He would absolutelyy lock down the edge on his side.
Well if Horton was still here he would be our nickel corner.
-
Lulz
-
Gip remember that sheltons responsibility in the 3-4 is mostly to soak up double teams and hold his gaps. Getting upfield is an afterthought. And in that respect he was rated as the best in the league no? So in the 4-3 he might be turned loose more. But im sure the new dc will also use im to spring the other frontline guys loose.
Frankly i see big things from our front 4, especially if we get allen or garett. Lb'ers might be a different story.
Gip remember that sheltons responsibility in the 3-4 is mostly to soak up double teams and hold his gaps. Getting upfield is an afterthought. And in that respect he was rated as the best in the league no? So in the 4-3 he might be turned loose more. But im sure the new dc will also use im to spring the other frontline guys loose.
Frankly i see big things from our front 4, especially if we get allen or garett. Lb'ers might be a different story.
Allen and Garret are both listed as DEs. Do you think either of them can do the Reggie White/JJ Watt type thing where they line up half the time on the inside?
And, yes, I get it that in a 4-3 that system could eliminate a lot of the double teams Shelton sees....and maybe free him up.
But do we have a "running mate" for him? Do we have a Bob Lilly to his Randy White? A Rosey Grier to his Merlin Olson?
Right now we have what? Jamie Meder? Would Dez Bryant play that role? (with Ogbah/Nassib at the DEs)
I think we do need a guy.
-
Im more than happy to see meder playing with sheltonnect year, i think they're a good tandem. Add bryant and maybe one other guy we're solid. Like i said im ok with allen at DT in certain packages, but i want that man strength on one of our edges. Stsly allen will have way more impact at DE than DT next year.
-
Im more than happy to see meder playing with sheltonnect year, i think they're a good tandem. Add bryant and maybe one other guy we're solid. Like i said im ok with allen at DT in certain packages, but i want that man strength on one of our edges. Stsly allen will have way more impact at DE than DT next year.
Im more than happy to see meder playing with sheltonnect year, i think they're a good tandem. Add bryant and maybe one other guy we're solid. Like i said im ok with allen at DT in certain packages, but i want that man strength on one of our edges. Stsly allen will have way more impact at DE than DT next year.
OK, still....lets see with this new DC if he may not want to add some emphasis on getting help in the middle.
So let's not be surprised if the Browns take a DT in say the second round.
Watkins? Malik McDowell, Mich St. Chris Wormley, Michigan, Caleb Brantley Florida
-
Is there an echo in here??
-
Im in camp allen for now, but would anyone really be all that pissed if we took garett?
-
Im in camp allen for now, but would anyone really be all that pissed if we took garett?
Im in camp allen for now, but would anyone really be all that pissed if we took garett?
Not in the least bit.
-
Im in camp allen for now, but would anyone really be all that pissed if we took garett?
Im in camp allen for now, but would anyone really be all that pissed if we took garett?
I think Barnett and Williams may be the equals of those two.
-
Im in camp allen for now, but would anyone really be all that pissed if we took garett?
I think Barnett and Williams may be the equals of those two.
I think Barnett and Williams may be the equals of those two.
Which games have you watched that make you feel that way? I haven't paid much attention to Barnett or Williams.
-
I think Barnett and Williams may be the equals of those two.
Which games have you watched that make you feel that way? I haven't paid much attention to Barnett or Williams.
Which games have you watched that make you feel that way? I haven't paid much attention to Barnett or Williams.
Which games have you watched that say that they aren't?
-
Im in camp allen for now, but would anyone really be all that pissed if we took garett?
I think Barnett and Williams may be the equals of those two.
I think Barnett and Williams may be the equals of those two.
Trollolololol.
-
I think Barnett and Williams may be the equals of those two.
Trollolololol.
-
Which games have you watched that make you feel that way? I haven't paid much attention to Barnett or Williams.
Which games have you watched that say that they aren't?
Which games have you watched that say that they aren't?
I wasn't the one saying Barnett and Williams are equal to them thus why I asked you. I thought you had made an informed decision. I already said I have not watched much of them.
-
Which games have you watched that say that they aren't?
I wasn't the one saying Barnett and Williams are equal to them thus why I asked you. I thought you had made an informed decision. I already said I have not watched much of them.
I wasn't the one saying Barnett and Williams are equal to them thus why I asked you. I thought you had made an informed decision. I already said I have not watched much of them.
My opinion of them is as well devoloped as it that about Williams and Garrett.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login