Chad Kelly Vrs Mitch Trubisky
-
Sorry, Mr. FlugelsMeistsies...
but Kelly is/was a world class jerk. In 2014, I can't believe he acted like he did at all.
Tough to give a kid second chances after that fiasco. I suppose he may have "grown up", etc.
but when he gets to the NFL and makes millions of bucks, will he start being his "old self" again?
I, too, wouldn't draft him in any round. Don't need the locker room drama which is justifiably to
be suspected to be occurring eventually.
Calsies, I wish I could say drafting "Nice" kids like Charlie Frye and Brady Quinn was the best way to prevent the pricks in Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Cincy from taking turns at repeatedly winning the division. Unfortunately, I've seen where our nice guys have continued to finish since 1999.
I'd hate to think we're going to spend the next 3-4 years defending our 1st overall pick with "yeah but he's a great kid."
Like I said in this thread, it doesn't necessarily have to be Chad Kelly as a later round alternative to using #1 overall on Trubisky. It can be another QB the popularity contest pushes back like it did to guys like Dak Prescott and Russell Wilson not so long ago. I just think Kelly's skill set along with the ACL injury plus all the old stories about what a terrible kid he used to be could work in our favor in a later round with minimal risk/hurt if we're wrong. If you have a QB you feel might fit this route better than Chad Kelly - I'd be open to hearing who it is and why you feel he's a better idea.
Keep in mind, as the draft comes closer - there's going to be more stories surfacing to scare teams away from drafting a kid like Kelly. I remembered reading the week of the draft that Adrian Peterson's shoulder/clavicle injury might require season ending surgery before his rookie year would even get off the ground. Some teams took the bait while Minnesota did their research instead of reacting to rumors and false stories that were getting printed. Some of this could very well apply here especially with writers like Jason LaCockroach out there.
Calsies, I wish I could say drafting "Nice" kids like Charlie Frye and Brady Quinn was the best way to prevent the pricks in Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Cincy from taking turns at repeatedly winning the division. Unfortunately, I've seen where our nice guys have continued to finish since 1999.
I'd hate to think we're going to spend the next 3-4 years defending our 1st overall pick with "yeah but he's a great kid."
Like I said in this thread, it doesn't necessarily have to be Chad Kelly as a later round alternative to using #1 overall on Trubisky. It can be another QB the popularity contest pushes back like it did to guys like Dak Prescott and Russell Wilson not so long ago. I just think Kelly's skill set along with the ACL injury plus all the old stories about what a terrible kid he used to be could work in our favor in a later round with minimal risk/hurt if we're wrong. If you have a QB you feel might fit this route better than Chad Kelly - I'd be open to hearing who it is and why you feel he's a better idea.
Keep in mind, as the draft comes closer - there's going to be more stories surfacing to scare teams away from drafting a kid like Kelly. I remembered reading the week of the draft that Adrian Peterson's shoulder/clavicle injury might require season ending surgery before his rookie year would even get off the ground. Some teams took the bait while Minnesota did their research instead of reacting to rumors and false stories that were getting printed. Some of this could very well apply here especially with writers like Jason LaCockroach out there.
I agree. Nice guys finish last in football. The game of football just does not comport with gentlemen for the most part.
-
Calsies, I wish I could say drafting "Nice" kids like Charlie Frye and Brady Quinn was the best way to prevent the pricks in Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Cincy from taking turns at repeatedly winning the division. Unfortunately, I've seen where our nice guys have continued to finish since 1999.
I'd hate to think we're going to spend the next 3-4 years defending our 1st overall pick with "yeah but he's a great kid."
Like I said in this thread, it doesn't necessarily have to be Chad Kelly as a later round alternative to using #1 overall on Trubisky. It can be another QB the popularity contest pushes back like it did to guys like Dak Prescott and Russell Wilson not so long ago. I just think Kelly's skill set along with the ACL injury plus all the old stories about what a terrible kid he used to be could work in our favor in a later round with minimal risk/hurt if we're wrong. If you have a QB you feel might fit this route better than Chad Kelly - I'd be open to hearing who it is and why you feel he's a better idea.
Keep in mind, as the draft comes closer - there's going to be more stories surfacing to scare teams away from drafting a kid like Kelly. I remembered reading the week of the draft that Adrian Peterson's shoulder/clavicle injury might require season ending surgery before his rookie year would even get off the ground. Some teams took the bait while Minnesota did their research instead of reacting to rumors and false stories that were getting printed. Some of this could very well apply here especially with writers like Jason LaCockroach out there.
I agree. Nice guys finish last in football. The game of football just does not comport with gentlemen for the most part.
To me there's a difference between "nice guys" and "trash". In a sport full of testosterone overdrive an element of nasty is good. You can be a nasty mean competitive player without being a gangster wanna be thug.I agree. Nice guys finish last in football. The game of football just does not comport with gentlemen for the most part.
-
But your odds are greatly diminished.
-
If you guys want to show me a list of late round QBs with off the field problems related to drugs and fighting and general douchbaggery who became franchise QBs in the last 25 years, I'll wait.
-
If you guys want to show me a list of late round QBs with off the field problems related to drugs and fighting and general douchbaggery who became franchise QBs in the last 25 years, I'll wait.
If you guys want to show me a list of late round QBs with off the field problems related to drugs and fighting and general douchbaggery who became franchise QBs in the last 25 years, I'll wait.
Tom Brady had a well known bath salts problem.
-
If you guys want to show me a list of late round QBs with off the field problems related to drugs and fighting and general douchbaggery who became franchise QBs in the last 25 years, I'll wait.
If you guys want to show me a list of late round QBs with off the field problems related to drugs and fighting and general douchbaggery who became franchise QBs in the last 25 years, I'll wait.
Instead of showing up to 1 more thread just to piss all over it, you could actually participate and give us a better alternative to Kelly after round 1 like I asked of those who disapprove of Kelly.
BTW, Irish people have a tendency to swing first and ask questions later as depicted in Notre Dame's storied football tradition. Meanwhile college QBs have a tendency to like to party after a hard week of work. This has gone on in the NFL as well dating all the way back to Norm Van Brocklin and probably much longer. Do you want an alter boy with manners or a competitive QB? It's okay to be a fiery leader with a work hard - play hard attitude. And when we read about him fighting, why are we so quick to assume he wasn't defending family or friends? This doesn't exactly make him the Pac Man Jones you want portrayed here. Having said that, I'll bet there's at least 2 females in this country that would tell me Ben Roethlisberger is just as much of a thug as Pac Man is. That hasn't stopped him from frequenting Superbowls while nice kids like Kessler in Cleveland have been getting concussions and other injuries.
Anyone remember why Dan Marino slid all the way down into the late 20s of round 1? Rumors of heavy partying and nose candy while his final matchup with Penn State showed him screaming at teammates. He also screamed at Clayton and Duper at the next level when they dropped his passes, which looked like it was an effective form of fiery leadership. Jim Kelly and Bernie Kosar came out of one of the biggest party schools in the country. You don't think they waited to take their first sip of beer until after they retired, do you? If so, I have some real estate for sale in Alligator Alley. This just in. One of those guys is Irish and he's related to Chad Kelly. There's a lot of stories about Jim's partying past 4:00 am in the Elmwood Strip on weekends of home games especially during the brief tenure of the "Bickering Bills." Once the guy wanted to take on the responsibility of the "no huddle" with him calling his own plays - he got a little smarter with when/where his partying should take place. He also became a much better guy to his girlfriend/fiance and in the community.
-
If you guys want to show me a list of late round QBs with off the field problems related to drugs and fighting and general douchbaggery who became franchise QBs in the last 25 years, I'll wait.
If you guys want to show me a list of late round QBs with off the field problems related to drugs and fighting and general douchbaggery who became franchise QBs in the last 25 years, I'll wait.
Why the "late round" proviso if your main issue is off-field concerns?
-
So our list of better alternatives to Chad Kelly after round 1 from those that disapprove of him remains at 0. Apparently, they're just as impressed with this QB class as I am. I wish that pushed Trubisky into Peyton Manning range; but Manning actually felt a 4th season of starting experience was important to his readiness for the NFL. That was his response on the radio when Frank Wycheck asked him why did you risk getting hurt when you would have been the #1 overall after your junior year?
That being the case, I'll love me some Allen or Garrett 1st and the next best impact we can find defensively at #12. Allen reminds me of a more compact version of Richard Seymore in the way he can play inside or outside as well as any technique a DC will assign him so I'm leaning toward him. Furthermore, I'm not sold we need to write off Nate Orchard this quickly; especially considering he'll be a probably be a much better fit in Williams' scheme. That said, I'll keep an open mind and welcome any feedback from our 12th Man guys (War & Aggies) or others that have seen a lot more of Garrett than I have.
-
It doesn't do any good to go to extremes to make points. Aaron Rodgers is a real nice guy.
Joe Thomas is a real nice guy. Drew Brees is a very nice guy. Andrew Luck is a nice guy.
Alex Smith is a nice guy.
It's TOUGH and LOVE OF THE GAME...okay, intelligence, instinct... that is the key.
It's baloney to select a "bad guy" because you think he'll be tough on the football field.
Good luck to ya if you do, because he could be suspended, be out of football, be a complete
dud, die of a overdose, make you lose games because of stupid penaltiles at the wrong time etc,
go to jail for socking his wife, etc etc etc.
Jerry Sherk was a nice guy, Brian Brennan, Sipe, Kosar, the list is long.
I'ma callin baloniesies.
If you stick to your complete valid list of qualifiers, it's okay if you pick up/draft a guy and give him a second chance,
depending on how he screwed up in the first place. Dallas did it, turned out great.
Some scum hair ball dirtbags become star players. Like Joey Porter - he was a steriod rage kind of cheapshot
sombeitch player, in my book. Okay, I don't have book, but... Porter just got in legal trouble as a coach, fer cryin out loud,
and a very dirty player on the field. Dirty, cheap shot players can help you win...by taking out the important players on the other
team with illegal hits.
Just draft guys who love the game, have the work ethic, smarts, character, who play the game 100% because of it...with
NFL physical talent, and you have a great addition to your football team. You can give a college player
a second chance and win. or not. You can have a could-have-been great player, but he went to prison
after you drafted him in the fourth round because you are a moron, and the idiot kid never joins your team.
Enough with the "bad guy" tag.
Chuck Norris is a very, very,very, very nice guy. So? You think he isn't tough and won't kick your ass in a karate
tournament?
Football is a tough man's game, not a dirty cheapshot game - unless you play for the urine yellow stinking
squealers and got steriod rage.
You draft a real bad tough guy who is a terrific player , I'll draft a nice guy who is just as tough, and my guy will never be in legal trouble, suspended, and like Joe Thomas, your guy will vote for Joe as All-pro.
etc etc. I win.
-
Cal, your point rings true for QBs, which is what this thread is related to, so I guess I'll shut up. But that list is much harder to create with other positions, and yet you seem to have the same belief. For every one you can bring up I've got 5 bone thugs for you. It takes a little crazy to play this game.
And please don't type "I'ma callin baloniesies" again.

-
If you guys want to show me a list of late round QBs with off the field problems related to drugs and fighting and general douchbaggery who became franchise QBs in the last 25 years, I'll wait.
Why the "late round" proviso if your main issue is off-field concerns?
Why the "late round" proviso if your main issue is off-field concerns?
Because the argument can be made that if a guy is taken in the first round with documented issues, then his on-field talent is so astronomically high that the reward outweighs the risk.
Were Kelly a perfect off-field specimen and were he not injured, he still wouldn't be among the top QBs in this draft solely because he's kinda just not good.
Why gamble on a trashbag who isn't even that good? Just because he's distantly related to a QB who was pretty good 30 years ago? Just because he's done well in some big games?
-
Why the "late round" proviso if your main issue is off-field concerns?
Because the argument can be made that if a guy is taken in the first round with documented issues, then his on-field talent is so astronomically high that the reward outweighs the risk.
Were Kelly a perfect off-field specimen and were he not injured, he still wouldn't be among the top QBs in this draft solely because he's kinda just not good.
Why gamble on a trashbag who isn't even that good? Just because he's distantly related to a QB who was pretty good 30 years ago? Just because he's done well in some big games?
Because the argument can be made that if a guy is taken in the first round with documented issues, then his on-field talent is so astronomically high that the reward outweighs the risk.
Were Kelly a perfect off-field specimen and were he not injured, he still wouldn't be among the top QBs in this draft solely because he's kinda just not good.
Why gamble on a trashbag who isn't even that good? Just because he's distantly related to a QB who was pretty good 30 years ago? Just because he's done well in some big games?
Sometimes, it helps to understand the context of a discussion you're showing up to. Therefore, when the person that started the thread says it's okay if you don't like Chad Kelly and he'd be interested in hearing better alternatives - your input could either perpetuate an ongoing discussion or improve it.
Believe it or not, I like reading what you have to say about QBs most of the time since I've seen you nail some predictions about guys that weren't exactly crowd faves/popular.
So, who do you see as better alternatives to Kelly after round 1 or mid-late in this draft?
-
Cal, your point rings true for QBs, which is what this thread is related to, so I guess I'll shut up. But that list is much harder to create with other positions, and yet you seem to have the same belief. For every one you can bring up I've got 5 bone thugs for you. It takes a little crazy to play this game.
And please don't type "I'ma callin baloniesies" again.

Cal, your point rings true for QBs, which is what this thread is related to, so I guess I'll shut up. But that list is much harder to create with other positions, and yet you seem to have the same belief. For every one you can bring up I've got 5 bone thugs for you. It takes a little crazy to play this game.
And please don't type "I'ma callin baloniesies" again.

to a point, maybe, but I don't see "crazy" as being a bad guy. You listen to Joe Thomas joke around, you
figure he's crazy/funny/nice guy.... But going up vs him on the football field is hell, right?
I figure Chuck Norris is crazy, his sport is nuts. Mr. Miaggi was very nice..... Dick Butkus was a nice guy.
Danny Shelton is a very, very, very nice kid - who is one of the most powerful kickass nt's in the NFL now.
and he'll be even better this coming year.
and, lol, I apologize,.... only typed that to make Flugels spit coffee on his keyboard. lol
-
It doesn't do any good to go to extremes to make points. Aaron Rodgers is a real nice guy.
Joe Thomas is a real nice guy. Drew Brees is a very nice guy. Andrew Luck is a nice guy.
Alex Smith is a nice guy.
It's TOUGH and LOVE OF THE GAME...okay, intelligence, instinct... that is the key.
It's baloney to select a "bad guy" because you think he'll be tough on the football field.
Good luck to ya if you do, because he could be suspended, be out of football, be a complete
dud, die of a overdose, make you lose games because of stupid penaltiles at the wrong time etc,
go to jail for socking his wife, etc etc etc.
Jerry Sherk was a nice guy, Brian Brennan, Sipe, Kosar, the list is long.
I'ma callin baloniesies.
If you stick to your complete valid list of qualifiers, it's okay if you pick up/draft a guy and give him a second chance,
depending on how he screwed up in the first place. Dallas did it, turned out great.
Some scum hair ball dirtbags become star players. Like Joey Porter - he was a steriod rage kind of cheapshot
sombeitch player, in my book. Okay, I don't have book, but... Porter just got in legal trouble as a coach, fer cryin out loud,
and a very dirty player on the field. Dirty, cheap shot players can help you win...by taking out the important players on the other
team with illegal hits.
Just draft guys who love the game, have the work ethic, smarts, character, who play the game 100% because of it...with
NFL physical talent, and you have a great addition to your football team. You can give a college player
a second chance and win. or not. You can have a could-have-been great player, but he went to prison
after you drafted him in the fourth round because you are a moron, and the idiot kid never joins your team.
Enough with the "bad guy" tag.
Chuck Norris is a very, very,very, very nice guy. So? You think he isn't tough and won't kick your ass in a karate
tournament?
Football is a tough man's game, not a dirty cheapshot game - unless you play for the urine yellow stinking
squealers and got steriod rage.
You draft a real bad tough guy who is a terrific player , I'll draft a nice guy who is just as tough, and my guy will never be in legal trouble, suspended, and like Joe Thomas, your guy will vote for Joe as All-pro.
etc etc. I win.
It doesn't do any good to go to extremes to make points.
Agreed, so I'll remove your countless examples of them Calsies. - Flugel
It's TOUGH and LOVE OF THE GAME...okay, intelligence, instinct... that is the key.
It's baloney to select a "bad guy" because you think he'll be tough on the football field.
While you're on the subject going to extremes, who in this thread looks like their criteria for improving the QB position starts with looking for a bad guy especially after the Johnny Manziel experience? Kelly is just an Irish kid with a swing first - ask questions later mentality; especially when it pertains to protecting family, friends or teammates. That doesn't exactly make him the next Pac Man Jones some are portraying him as. My first impression of him and his skill set was watching that leave Nick Saban not knowing whether to shit or winde his wrist watch. That's as close as it gets to seeing someone walk on water. It's okay if people don't agree with that assessment.
And, not much different than countless other previous QB prospects between the ages of 20-23 years of age - they like to exercise their work hard play hard with a little more partying than alter boys. No different than Bernie Kosar and Jim Kelly coming out of a party school like Miami. You don't really think both guys waited to take their first sip of beer until after their pro football careers ended do you? - Flugel
You draft a real bad tough guy who is a terrific player , I'll draft a nice guy who is just as tough, and my guy will never be in legal trouble, suspended, and like Joe Thomas, your guy will vote for Joe as All-pro.
You've been repeating this since 1999. Meanwhile, Pittsburgh drafted Ben Rapen who is competing for another SB visit while we've been drafting all those real nice kids you speak of. In fact, there's a t-shirt honoring all those great kids that got beaten to a pulp here playing QB behind more of those real nice guys like Garret Gilkey, Cam Erving, Jason Pinkston, Brad Bedell, Jason One-n-Dunn, Steve Zahursky, O'Neil Cousins, Joe Andruzzi and countless other rent-a-wrecks and docey doe specialists. If those guys give you chills and goose bumps my friend - then God Bless ya!
I'm a little tired of seeing this franchise competing for the Good Sportsmanship Award in a violent sport full of excessive testosterone and competitive fires in a division dominated by teams enjoying us as their version of Bingo FREE SPACE. Showing up with manners and using terms like please and thank you on game day hasn't been working - just ask Courtney Brown. Great kid though. He looked like a kite in the wind against the run especially when it came right at him while stealing a lot of TFLs on backside clampdowns when nobody on the oline reach-blocking toward the play side was assigned to touch him.The only multiple sack day he had came against a backup LT on Pittsburgh the day they had former OSU QB Graham holding onto the ball too long in the pocket. Maybe that's when Pittsburgh decided nice guys like Tommy Maddox, Mike Tomczak and Graham just weren't SB material.
I didn't mind having a Kevin Mack freight train Greg Loyd to sleep even if he encountered some trouble with cocaine during his football career. He's human and proved he deserved the second chance. I always give guys a second chance even the Josh Gordon that already exhausted his 2nd and 3rd chances in college. One guy refused to hide behind excuses and alibis while the other still can't pass a piss test for 1 full year so he's only played 5 football games since his 2013 season. It's 2017 and I'm ready for progress on this football team. If I want to see alter boys instead of football - I'll go to church. - Flugel
-
It doesn't do any good to go to extremes to make points. Aaron Rodgers is a real nice guy.
Joe Thomas is a real nice guy. Drew Brees is a very nice guy. Andrew Luck is a nice guy.
Alex Smith is a nice guy.
It's TOUGH and LOVE OF THE GAME...okay, intelligence, instinct... that is the key.
It's baloney to select a "bad guy" because you think he'll be tough on the football field.
Good luck to ya if you do, because he could be suspended, be out of football, be a complete
dud, die of a overdose, make you lose games because of stupid penaltiles at the wrong time etc,
go to jail for socking his wife, etc etc etc.
Jerry Sherk was a nice guy, Brian Brennan, Sipe, Kosar, the list is long.
I'ma callin baloniesies.
If you stick to your complete valid list of qualifiers, it's okay if you pick up/draft a guy and give him a second chance,
depending on how he screwed up in the first place. Dallas did it, turned out great.
Some scum hair ball dirtbags become star players. Like Joey Porter - he was a steriod rage kind of cheapshot
sombeitch player, in my book. Okay, I don't have book, but... Porter just got in legal trouble as a coach, fer cryin out loud,
and a very dirty player on the field. Dirty, cheap shot players can help you win...by taking out the important players on the other
team with illegal hits.
Just draft guys who love the game, have the work ethic, smarts, character, who play the game 100% because of it...with
NFL physical talent, and you have a great addition to your football team. You can give a college player
a second chance and win. or not. You can have a could-have-been great player, but he went to prison
after you drafted him in the fourth round because you are a moron, and the idiot kid never joins your team.
Enough with the "bad guy" tag.
Chuck Norris is a very, very,very, very nice guy. So? You think he isn't tough and won't kick your ass in a karate
tournament?
Football is a tough man's game, not a dirty cheapshot game - unless you play for the urine yellow stinking
squealers and got steriod rage.
You draft a real bad tough guy who is a terrific player , I'll draft a nice guy who is just as tough, and my guy will never be in legal trouble, suspended, and like Joe Thomas, your guy will vote for Joe as All-pro.
etc etc. I win.
-
Because the argument can be made that if a guy is taken in the first round with documented issues, then his on-field talent is so astronomically high that the reward outweighs the risk.
Were Kelly a perfect off-field specimen and were he not injured, he still wouldn't be among the top QBs in this draft solely because he's kinda just not good.
Why gamble on a trashbag who isn't even that good? Just because he's distantly related to a QB who was pretty good 30 years ago? Just because he's done well in some big games?
Sometimes, it helps to understand the context of a discussion you're showing up to. Therefore, when the person that started the thread says it's okay if you don't like Chad Kelly and he'd be interested in hearing better alternatives - your input could either perpetuate an ongoing discussion or improve it.
Believe it or not, I like reading what you have to say about QBs most of the time since I've seen you nail some predictions about guys that weren't exactly crowd faves/popular.
So, who do you see as better alternatives to Kelly after round 1 or mid-late in this draft?
Sometimes, it helps to understand the context of a discussion you're showing up to. Therefore, when the person that started the thread says it's okay if you don't like Chad Kelly and he'd be interested in hearing better alternatives - your input could either perpetuate an ongoing discussion or improve it.
Believe it or not, I like reading what you have to say about QBs most of the time since I've seen you nail some predictions about guys that weren't exactly crowd faves/popular.
So, who do you see as better alternatives to Kelly after round 1 or mid-late in this draft?
Mahomes is the belle of the ball when it comes to sleeper picks. Kaaya is a better project than Kelly.
My favorite unknown is Antonio Pipkin from Tiffin.
He is interesting as a very late pick but would need at least one full year of never sniffing the field. He has command of the things many top prospects don't - sensing pressure, climbing the pocket, maintaining fundamentals despite being under pressure, taking what the defense gives to him. However, his arm strength is lacking and there's questions regarding whether he can make the transition from DII to the NFL.
-
-
Just.....wow......
lmao...
Because the argument can be made that if a guy is taken in the first round with documented issues, then his on-field talent is so astronomically high that the reward outweighs the risk.
Were Kelly a perfect off-field specimen and were he not injured, he still wouldn't be among the top QBs in this draft solely because he's kinda just not good.
Why gamble on a trashbag who isn't even that good? Just because he's distantly related to a QB who was pretty good 30 years ago? Just because he's done well in some big games?
Obviously anytime you pull the trigger and pick a prospect with "???" the talent exceeded the risk, but the risk is magnified by height of the pick... and exponentially.
Where Chad would rank depends on the inflation rate of the "top QBs", which is considerable this year.
Bloodlines have nothing to do with my evaluation... nor do just a couple games. Chad was one of those "distracting players" I occasionally encountered last year when I was scouting OL. I ended up watching a handful of his 2015 outings, some good, some not so good. I saw tools that improved through the season. I looked forward to seeing what 2016 would bring him. Unfortunately it was injury...
Chad has a history... no doubt. Sent packing from Clemson in early 2014 for a "pattern of behavior" seen to add up to "conduct detrimental". Late 2014 he was arrested for an altercation in Buffalo, an incident he called "his bottom" in an interview I listened to early last year. Sounded to me like a kid who heard his wake-up call.
Since then? Nothing until "the photo"... not in the same class as "his bottom"... may have been part of his Clemson "pattern".
I see talent in the kid. Fine with you not seeing it as well.
If I am the Browns, then:
- I interview the shit out of the kid.
- I gauge whether he understands that in the NFL you have to control your "urges"... that there are times to partake and times you can't and that regardless of the timing you can never, ever be in a position of being photographed indulging.
- I point to Manziel and ask if that is the route he wants to go...
- I assess whether he wants to be a pro QB bad enough to follow through...
- and I ask his Uncle as well.
Then and only then if I am satisfied with his replies, do I "risk" a Day 3 pick, if my Med Staff green-lights it...
Since I am not the Browns, however, I'll go with my gut and give him the benefit of the doubt unless you can offer up some additional inside dirt as you sometimes are able to do on attendees of southeastern US schools...
-
Just.....wow......
lmao...
Because the argument can be made that if a guy is taken in the first round with documented issues, then his on-field talent is so astronomically high that the reward outweighs the risk.
Were Kelly a perfect off-field specimen and were he not injured, he still wouldn't be among the top QBs in this draft solely because he's kinda just not good.
Why gamble on a trashbag who isn't even that good? Just because he's distantly related to a QB who was pretty good 30 years ago? Just because he's done well in some big games?
Obviously anytime you pull the trigger and pick a prospect with "???" the talent exceeded the risk, but the risk is magnified by height of the pick... and exponentially.
Where Chad would rank depends on the inflation rate of the "top QBs", which is considerable this year.
Bloodlines have nothing to do with my evaluation... nor do just a couple games. Chad was one of those "distracting players" I occasionally encountered last year when I was scouting OL. I ended up watching a handful of his 2015 outings, some good, some not so good. I saw tools that improved through the season. I looked forward to seeing what 2016 would bring him. Unfortunately it was injury...
Chad has a history... no doubt. Sent packing from Clemson in early 2014 for a "pattern of behavior" seen to add up to "conduct detrimental". Late 2014 he was arrested for an altercation in Buffalo, an incident he called "his bottom" in an interview I listened to early last year. Sounded to me like a kid who heard his wake-up call.
Since then? Nothing until "the photo"... not in the same class as "his bottom"... may have been part of his Clemson "pattern".
I see talent in the kid. Fine with you not seeing it as well.
If I am the Browns, then:
- I interview the shit out of the kid.
- I gauge whether he understands that in the NFL you have to control your "urges"... that there are times to partake and times you can't and that regardless of the timing you can never, ever be in a position of being photographed indulging.
- I point to Manziel and ask if that is the route he wants to go...
- I assess whether he wants to be a pro QB bad enough to follow through...
- and I ask his Uncle as well.
Then and only then if I am satisfied with his replies, do I "risk" a Day 3 pick, if my Med Staff green-lights it...
Since I am not the Browns, however, I'll go with my gut and give him the benefit of the doubt unless you can offer up some additional inside dirt as you sometimes are able to do on attendees of southeastern US schools...
lmao...
Obviously anytime you pull the trigger and pick a prospect with "???" the talent exceeded the risk, but the risk is magnified by height of the pick... and exponentially.
Where Chad would rank depends on the inflation rate of the "top QBs", which is considerable this year.
Bloodlines have nothing to do with my evaluation... nor do just a couple games. Chad was one of those "distracting players" I occasionally encountered last year when I was scouting OL. I ended up watching a handful of his 2015 outings, some good, some not so good. I saw tools that improved through the season. I looked forward to seeing what 2016 would bring him. Unfortunately it was injury...
Chad has a history... no doubt. Sent packing from Clemson in early 2014 for a "pattern of behavior" seen to add up to "conduct detrimental". Late 2014 he was arrested for an altercation in Buffalo, an incident he called "his bottom" in an interview I listened to early last year. Sounded to me like a kid who heard his wake-up call.
Since then? Nothing until "the photo"... not in the same class as "his bottom"... may have been part of his Clemson "pattern".
I see talent in the kid. Fine with you not seeing it as well.
If I am the Browns, then:
- I interview the shit out of the kid.
- I gauge whether he understands that in the NFL you have to control your "urges"... that there are times to partake and times you can't and that regardless of the timing you can never, ever be in a position of being photographed indulging.
- I point to Manziel and ask if that is the route he wants to go...
- I assess whether he wants to be a pro QB bad enough to follow through...
- and I ask his Uncle as well.
Then and only then if I am satisfied with his replies, do I "risk" a Day 3 pick, if my Med Staff green-lights it...
Since I am not the Browns, however, I'll go with my gut and give him the benefit of the doubt unless you can offer up some additional inside dirt as you sometimes are able to do on attendees of southeastern US schools...
Manziel doesn't have it too bad, he's signing autographs at the superbowl for $50-$100 a pop
-
@ghoolie said:
Flugz,
this is a "philosophy of life" matter for me. Trubisky has one quality that Kelly doesn't. He has what Terry Bradshaw had. He has the ability to charge up his team, win games regardless of what the statistics say, and he is, like the most successful QBs, able to fuck up the coverage by extending the play and ripping the defense with his arm. All this, lock-down on one reciever is bullshit. It is fodder for talking heads who need to write down content in order to fill the time in their shows, books, and tip lines.
Trubisky is a guy in the mold of Bradshw, Roethlisberger, Rogers, whoever you may liken him to. He is the best QB, the best potential leader in the draft.
The Browns don't need a fucking QB. We had a ton of QBs. We even have one who Hue sucked upp and tatooe'd 1-15 on his nutsack. The Browns need a leader. God knows there isn't one on the sideline or in the FO.
This is a no brainer. If the Browns do anything else with their #1 pick...just like with Roethlisbarfer, we will live to be sickened by it.
After reading your first two paragraphs I'd assume you'd be a bigger fan of Mayfield than Mitch.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login