Skip to content

Cowboys Practice Facility Colapses

The Browns Board
10 8 1.2k
  • http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/05/02/cowboys.p...apse/index.html

    CNN) -- An air-supported canopy over the Dallas Cowboys' practice field collapsed during a heavy thunderstorm Saturday afternoon, leaving one person critically injured and six others hurt, firefighters said.

    A photojournalist from CNN affiliate WFAA captured the collapse of the practice facility on Saturday.

    As many as 80 people may have been inside the facility when it was blown down shortly before 3:30 p.m. (4:30 p.m. ET), said Mike Adams, a dispatcher for the Irving, Texas, fire department. Rescuers were continuing to comb through the wreckage beneath the fallen canopy, but, "Everyone as far as we know is accounted for," Adams said.

    Video from CNN affiliate WFAA showed the canopy caving in during a heavy storm, sending players, coaches and a handful of reporters and photographers scrambling to escape.

    WFAA-TV photojournalist Arnold Payne, who was on the sidelines of the indoor practice field when the collapse occurred, said the wind "just started shaking the sides of this big huge plastic practice tent."

    "The lights started swinging from the ceiling, and just like that ? the thing just started collapsing," Payne said. "They could hear people under there screaming; I could see two or three people injured.".

    Cowboys' owner Jerry Jones told NBC that about 27 rookies from the NFL team and members of the team's coaching staff were inside the suburban Dallas facility at the time.

    "They did not get good warning there, and the structure did collapse," Jones said, speaking from the Kentucky Derby in Louisville. "We're assessing who's injured at this particular time."

    Kinda scary stuff.

  • I know I shouldn't make jokes about 5 people getting hurt but with the structure being "air supported" do you guys think that TOs departure with his hot air had anything to do with it? But seriously I hope no one is seriously hurt.

  • tent_animation.gif

    Footage from KDFW-TV Dallas

    All jokes aside, I hope everyone is alright!

  • I know I shouldn't make jokes about 5 people getting hurt but with the structure being "air supported" do you guys think that TOs departure with his hot air had anything to do with it? But seriously I hope no one is seriously hurt.

    @buckeyedawg said:

    I know I shouldn't make jokes about 5 people getting hurt but with the structure being "air supported" do you guys think that TOs departure with his hot air had anything to do with it? But seriously I hope no one is seriously hurt.

    Romo was seen frantically running towards the buildings screaming..."Don't let the balls get wet, they will be all slippery."

    martin-grammatica-and-tony-romo.jpg

  • @buckeyedawg said:

    I know I shouldn't make jokes about 5 people getting hurt but with the structure being "air supported" do you guys think that TOs departure with his hot air had anything to do with it? But seriously I hope no one is seriously hurt.

    Romo was seen frantically running towards the buildings screaming..."Don't let the balls get wet, they will be all slippery."

    martin-grammatica-and-tony-romo.jpg

    @fan-of-steel-1 said:

    Romo was seen frantically running towards the buildings screaming..."Don't let the balls get wet, they will be all slippery."

    martin-grammatica-and-tony-romo.jpg

    I have to admit, for a steelers fan that was pretty funny.

  • http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4132947

    One of the Cowboys scouting assistants spine was severed and he is now paralyzed from the waist down.

  • http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4132947

    One of the Cowboys scouting assistants spine was severed and he is now paralyzed from the waist down.

    @dawgpound4life said:

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4132947

    One of the Cowboys scouting assistants spine was severed and he is now paralyzed from the waist down.

    I just read the same on ESPN, so sad. I absolutely hate the Cowboys but Jerry Jones is a stand up guy that definitely cares about his staff and his team. I can't imagine what the families involved, Jones and the rest of the team are going through right now. It's gotta be crazy.

  • @dawgpound4life said:

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4132947

    One of the Cowboys scouting assistants spine was severed and he is now paralyzed from the waist down.

    I just read the same on ESPN, so sad. I absolutely hate the Cowboys but Jerry Jones is a stand up guy that definitely cares about his staff and his team. I can't imagine what the families involved, Jones and the rest of the team are going through right now. It's gotta be crazy.

    @snatch98 said:

    I just read the same on ESPN, so sad. I absolutely hate the Cowboys but Jerry Jones is a stand up guy that definitely cares about his staff and his team. I can't imagine what the families involved, Jones and the rest of the team are going through right now. It's gotta be crazy.

    The problem that I have with this is that NFL teams have warning systems with respect to weather (lightning and high winds). Why didn't the Cowboys have such warning? Having been around some NFL Staff, I can tell you that the equipment and methods that they have to warn them of dangerous conditions is TOP technology. Why not in this case? There were 60 mph winds. The equipment should be mandatory.

  • @dawgpound4life said:

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4132947

    One of the Cowboys scouting assistants spine was severed and he is now paralyzed from the waist down.

    I just read the same on ESPN, so sad. I absolutely hate the Cowboys but Jerry Jones is a stand up guy that definitely cares about his staff and his team. I can't imagine what the families involved, Jones and the rest of the team are going through right now. It's gotta be crazy.

    @snatch98 said:

    I just read the same on ESPN, so sad. I absolutely hate the Cowboys but Jerry Jones is a stand up guy that definitely cares about his staff and his team. I can't imagine what the families involved, Jones and the rest of the team are going through right now. It's gotta be crazy.

    Somewhat reminiscent of two different events that happened to the Tribe. One was Hurricane Andrew completely totaling their new spring training complex and the other was when the 3 pitchers had the boating accident.

  • It could have been a lot worse but it still was an avoidable tragedy...