Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
  3. La La Land

La La Land

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
4 Posts 2 Posters 425 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
    • 57k Posts
    • 4k Reputation
    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Saw this over the weekend with my wife.

    One caveat: my wife loves musicals.

    We were thinking something on the order of Chicago.

    Result? She did NOT love this. In fact, she said she hated it. Hated the story, thought it was depressing.

    It seems to getting a ton of buzz for Oscars etc. etc. I don't see it either

    For the music, I like the piano "theme" music...and some of the jazz. But the show tunes, to me, were totally unmemorabable. As was the dancing. Nothing to write home about.

    I did think the two actors, Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling played off each other OK. I could buy their relationship. I am not sure if they are Oscar worthy though. They were just nice performances.

    (Of course, it would be more impressive if Gosling actually played the piano). Plus, neither was a very good singer, really, at all.

    We both thought it was a bullshit, trickster ending.

    I think the thing about the buzz for this movie is simply the fact that the movie itself is a movie about Hollywood and the Hollywood experience, and Hollywood is in love with itself, thus it loves this movie.

    But I don't think it had much relevance to the rest of us.

    If I were giving it a Westside Steve type grade, it would be in the C or C+ range.

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
      • 39k Posts
      • 9k Reputation
      W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
      #2

      I have a review reviews I need to post I loved it. I wouldn't be upset if won best picture. I would not vote for Ryan Gosling or Emma Stone 4 best actors however. That being said I thought Denzel Washington and fences were Oscar were they as well.

      WSS

      www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
      The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • W Westside Steve

        I have a review reviews I need to post I loved it. I wouldn't be upset if won best picture. I would not vote for Ryan Gosling or Emma Stone 4 best actors however. That being said I thought Denzel Washington and fences were Oscar were they as well.

        WSS

        The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
        • 57k Posts
        • 4k Reputation
        The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
        #3

        @westside-steve said:

        I have a review reviews I need to post I loved it. I wouldn't be upset if won best picture. I would not vote for Ryan Gosling or Emma Stone 4 best actors however. That being said I thought Denzel Washington and fences were Oscar were they as well.

        WSS

        I would likely go the other way. It would not bother me as much if those two won as it would if the movie won.

        That said, I have seen few of the Oscar nominated movies or acting performances.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
          • 39k Posts
          • 9k Reputation
          W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
          #4

          So far there are only two I have not seen Moonlight and lion.

          I'm going to be tied up this week so I may not get to see either of those two but certainly before the presentation.

          WSS

          www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply

          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

          Register Login
          Reply
          • Reply as topic
          Log in to reply
          • Oldest to Newest
          • Newest to Oldest
          • Most Votes


          Theme
          • System
          • Light
          • Dark
          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

          • First post
            Last post
          0
          • Forums
          • Recent
          • Popular
          • Users
          • Donate