Skip to content

Jimmy Garoppolo Speculation

Locked The Browns Board
665 52 23.6k
  • @tour2ma said:

    MKC is now bringing in reinforcements...

    Kyle Shanahan liked Derek Carr and Jimmy Garoppolo 1 and 2 in 2014, but Browns drafted Johnny Manziel

    HOUSTON -- Kyle Shanahan admitted at the Super Bowl Thursday that he really liked Patriots backup quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo coming out in 2014 when he was offensive coordinator of the Browns, and a source said he had him ranked right behind Derek Carr on his QB list.

    But the Browns traded up in the first round and took Johnny Manziel No. 22 instead -- despite the fact Shanahan, now the Falcons' offensive coordinator, was not in favor of drafting him or Teddy Twatwater.

    "They (the Farmer FO) had me look at every quarterback and evaluate every quarterback,'' he said at the Super Bowl Thursday. "That's everywhere. They ask you to evaluate everyone and you give grades and you tell people who you want and you wait to see what happens."

    Is the report true that he really liked Garoppolo, who's about to become the hottest QB commodity of the off-season?

    "Yes, I did,'' he said.

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/02/kyle_shanahan_liked_derek_carr.html#incart_2box

    Article includes a couple other interesting tidbits as well...

    • "Everybody wants a quarterback,'' he said. "You've just got to hope that there is one and you always take the guy who gives you the best chance to win, and usually that's a quarterback but it could be a D-lineman. Everybody wants to have a great quarterback right away, but if it were easy to have one, everyone would have one.''
    • "Kirk is a natural thrower who's fearless and lets it rip,'' said Shanahan. "(As for) guys who can process and go fast in the pocket, Kirk's as good as anybody.''
    • Regarding Manziel, Shanahan liked him as a person, and believed he could develop as an NFL quarterback. "I'm not sure (if he'll make it back into the league),'' Shanahan said.

    So? Who DO we blame for that debacle? Pettine? Farmer? Apparently not Shanahan. Haslam? The homeless guy?

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #73

    @the-gipper said:

    So? Who DO we blame for that debacle? Pettine? Farmer? Apparently not Shanahan. Haslam? The homeless guy?

    @mr.-make-believe said:

    I think it's pretty safe to say he wasn't Pettine's choice either.

    That points to Haslam and the homeless guy in the 2014 draft.

    @boo-radley said:

    IIRC, didnt Lombardi get fired because he wanted a different QB than Manziel. Maybe it was Garroplo?

    Again- was that some Haslam meddling? That 2014 Farmer first round draft may go down as one of the worst in history. Only passed on 11 or so guys who made the Pro Bowl, notably Kalil Mack, Odell Beckham, and Derek Carr. I have a feeling if the Browns had gone Mack and Carr, they wouldn't have gone 1-15 last year.

  • @the-gipper said:

    So? Who DO we blame for that debacle? Pettine? Farmer? Apparently not Shanahan. Haslam? The homeless guy?

    @mr.-make-believe said:

    I think it's pretty safe to say he wasn't Pettine's choice either.

    That points to Haslam and the homeless guy in the 2014 draft.

    @boo-radley said:

    IIRC, didnt Lombardi get fired because he wanted a different QB than Manziel. Maybe it was Garroplo?

    Again- was that some Haslam meddling? That 2014 Farmer first round draft may go down as one of the worst in history. Only passed on 11 or so guys who made the Pro Bowl, notably Kalil Mack, Odell Beckham, and Derek Carr. I have a feeling if the Browns had gone Mack and Carr, they wouldn't have gone 1-15 last year.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #74

    @hoorta said:

    That points to Haslam and the homeless guy in the 2014 draft.

    Again- was that some Haslam meddling? That 2014 Farmer first round draft may go down as one of the worst in history. Only passed on 11 or so guys who made the Pro Bowl, notably Kalil Mack, Odell Beckham, and Derek Carr. I have a feeling if the Browns had gone Mack and Carr, they wouldn't have gone 1-15 last year.

    True. A bit back I did a thread on like the worst 10-15 first round draft picks of the last 10 years. Both Gilbert and JMZ were in there. I think the Browns were the only team to have 2 on the list....let alone 2 in the same draft. Matt Ryan was one of the best.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #75

    @boo-radley said:

    Its all about creating matchups and spreading the field does just that.

    Running a couple dozen pick-plays a game doesn't hurt either... many are even legal.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #76

    @boo-radley said:

    Other teams run them on NE. In Super Bowl 49 Seattle used the referee to pick Revis for a TD.

    So two wrongs do make a right... cool...

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #77

    Points are awarded for picks now? I did not know that...

  • @boo-radley said:

    Maybe Pittsburgh will offer more.

    Let them. Though I think that your more likely suitors would be the 49ers (rumor says Shanahan wants him), the Bears, and now perhaps the Cards.

    And BR's claim that he may retire is all bombast. So, they probably won't be in the market.

    Besides...why would you...as a Pats fan, want to give him up.

    Do you see no future with him? If he is so mediocre as to have no future with the Pats, why should others overpay for him.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #78

    @the-gipper said:

    Let them. Though I think that your more likely suitors would be the 49ers (rumor says Shanahan wants him), the Bears, and now perhaps the Cards.

    And BR's claim that he may retire is all bombast. So, they probably won't be in the market.

    Besides...why would you...as a Pats fan, want to give him up.

    Do you see no future with him? If he is so mediocre as to have no future with the Pats, why should others overpay for him.

    Well......

    A. That's very true.

    B. We are going to overpay for somebody.

    WSS

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #79

    B. Not if we grow our own... not immediately anyway. Hopefully eventually...

  • B. Not if we grow our own... not immediately anyway. Hopefully eventually...

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #80

    @tour2ma said:

    B. Not if we grow our own... not immediately anyway. Hopefully eventually...

    Sure. Later round picks sometimes turn into top-flight quarterbacks.

    Hit that 20 dealer. There are four aces in the deck right?

    🙂

    WSS

  • OsirisO Osiris wrote on last edited by
    #81

    The Browns will get Garoppolo if they want him. Why?

    - Chicago or SF are probably not willing to give up their 1st round pick for him.

    - Cleveland made two trades with the Pats in 2016 and have established a relationship of trust. They got a 5th round pick for a prior regime's bust who has yet to make an impact with the Patriots and was nowhere to be seen in the Super Bowl last night, and they got a Pro Bowl caliber linebacker for a 3rd round compensatory pick (or a 4th round one if the Browns don't get one)

    - If I'm Cleveland, I'm thinking I got the better end of those deals, and if I'm New England, I'm thinking I got the better end of that deal. Meaning, the Browns are fair trade partners.

    - Browns have more draft capital to spend that is more valuable than the picks in equivalent rounds for either the Bears or 49ers.

    I don't think it will take pick #12 to get him, but if the Browns really think he is the guy, they can pay that price and still have pick the best player in the draft.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #82

    I agree if they want him they will get him. I don't want to give up a first round pick to do so, but I'd be ok packaging say a second and a fourth. That still gives us plenty of room to address other holes on the roster - two firsts on DE, CB/S, a second on another S/CB, third on an OC, and we have a starting QB in the mix? OK then.

    I'm not worried about the length of his contract - he has a year to go on the rookie deal and would most likely be franchised afterwards if he doesn't sign a big deal before then.

  • I agree if they want him they will get him. I don't want to give up a first round pick to do so, but I'd be ok packaging say a second and a fourth. That still gives us plenty of room to address other holes on the roster - two firsts on DE, CB/S, a second on another S/CB, third on an OC, and we have a starting QB in the mix? OK then.

    I'm not worried about the length of his contract - he has a year to go on the rookie deal and would most likely be franchised afterwards if he doesn't sign a big deal before then.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #83

    @gftchris said:

    I agree if they want him they will get him. I don't want to give up a first round pick to do so, but I'd be ok packaging say a second and a fourth. That still gives us plenty of room to address other holes on the roster - two firsts on DE, CB/S, a second on another S/CB, third on an OC, and we have a starting QB in the mix? OK then.

    I'm not worried about the length of his contract - he has a year to go on the rookie deal and would most likely be franchised afterwards if he doesn't sign a big deal before then.

    That makes two years with the Browns which should just about be the exact length of Hue Jackson's leash.

    WSS

  • @gftchris said:

    I agree if they want him they will get him. I don't want to give up a first round pick to do so, but I'd be ok packaging say a second and a fourth. That still gives us plenty of room to address other holes on the roster - two firsts on DE, CB/S, a second on another S/CB, third on an OC, and we have a starting QB in the mix? OK then.

    I'm not worried about the length of his contract - he has a year to go on the rookie deal and would most likely be franchised afterwards if he doesn't sign a big deal before then.

    That makes two years with the Browns which should just about be the exact length of Hue Jackson's leash.

    WSS

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #84

    @westside-steve said:

    That makes two years with the Browns which should just about be the exact length of Hue Jackson's leash.

    WSS

    Sad as it may be, that's probably the case. If, two years from now, we're no closer to winning (and I don't mean more 4-12 stuff) then yeah he's probably gone.

  • The Browns will get Garoppolo if they want him. Why?

    - Chicago or SF are probably not willing to give up their 1st round pick for him.

    - Cleveland made two trades with the Pats in 2016 and have established a relationship of trust. They got a 5th round pick for a prior regime's bust who has yet to make an impact with the Patriots and was nowhere to be seen in the Super Bowl last night, and they got a Pro Bowl caliber linebacker for a 3rd round compensatory pick (or a 4th round one if the Browns don't get one)

    - If I'm Cleveland, I'm thinking I got the better end of those deals, and if I'm New England, I'm thinking I got the better end of that deal. Meaning, the Browns are fair trade partners.

    - Browns have more draft capital to spend that is more valuable than the picks in equivalent rounds for either the Bears or 49ers.

    I don't think it will take pick #12 to get him, but if the Browns really think he is the guy, they can pay that price and still have pick the best player in the draft.

    jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #85

    @osiris said:

    The Browns will get Garoppolo if they want him. Why?

    - Chicago or SF are probably not willing to give up their 1st round pick for him.

    - Cleveland made two trades with the Pats in 2016 and have established a relationship of trust. They got a 5th round pick for a prior regime's bust who has yet to make an impact with the Patriots and was nowhere to be seen in the Super Bowl last night, and they got a Pro Bowl caliber linebacker for a 3rd round compensatory pick (or a 4th round one if the Browns don't get one)

    - If I'm Cleveland, I'm thinking I got the better end of those deals, and if I'm New England, I'm thinking I got the better end of that deal. Meaning, the Browns are fair trade partners.

    - Browns have more draft capital to spend that is more valuable than the picks in equivalent rounds for either the Bears or 49ers.

    I don't think it will take pick #12 to get him, but if the Browns really think he is the guy, they can pay that price and still have pick the best player in the draft.

    That's the big question to me. Will 49's or Bears REALLY give up their extremely high 1st round pick in order to complete a Garoppolo deal? A part of me says they might, but another part of my brain says that is SO ridiculous. I know Shanahan wanted JG pretty badly, and he's on record saying he wanted him or Carr (weird...that's who I wanted too). We're obviously not trading our first pick for a QB with a couple starts, so that's not even worth entertaining. How do I know that? I just do and my head won't let me even think about it one second longer.

    Here's a thought: Instead of outright trading the #12 pick to New England for JG, can we maybe SWITCH with the Patriots? They get 12, and we get 32? The deal would need more than just that, but that could be a starting point, AND we'd technically still have two first rounders, even though one would be at the very end. We'll know soon enough. If either of those teams package their first pick, I think that immediately knocks us out. UNLESS we simply overwhelm the Pats with a bevy of picks to pump up the deal.

  • @osiris said:

    The Browns will get Garoppolo if they want him. Why?

    - Chicago or SF are probably not willing to give up their 1st round pick for him.

    - Cleveland made two trades with the Pats in 2016 and have established a relationship of trust. They got a 5th round pick for a prior regime's bust who has yet to make an impact with the Patriots and was nowhere to be seen in the Super Bowl last night, and they got a Pro Bowl caliber linebacker for a 3rd round compensatory pick (or a 4th round one if the Browns don't get one)

    - If I'm Cleveland, I'm thinking I got the better end of those deals, and if I'm New England, I'm thinking I got the better end of that deal. Meaning, the Browns are fair trade partners.

    - Browns have more draft capital to spend that is more valuable than the picks in equivalent rounds for either the Bears or 49ers.

    I don't think it will take pick #12 to get him, but if the Browns really think he is the guy, they can pay that price and still have pick the best player in the draft.

    That's the big question to me. Will 49's or Bears REALLY give up their extremely high 1st round pick in order to complete a Garoppolo deal? A part of me says they might, but another part of my brain says that is SO ridiculous. I know Shanahan wanted JG pretty badly, and he's on record saying he wanted him or Carr (weird...that's who I wanted too). We're obviously not trading our first pick for a QB with a couple starts, so that's not even worth entertaining. How do I know that? I just do and my head won't let me even think about it one second longer.

    Here's a thought: Instead of outright trading the #12 pick to New England for JG, can we maybe SWITCH with the Patriots? They get 12, and we get 32? The deal would need more than just that, but that could be a starting point, AND we'd technically still have two first rounders, even though one would be at the very end. We'll know soon enough. If either of those teams package their first pick, I think that immediately knocks us out. UNLESS we simply overwhelm the Pats with a bevy of picks to pump up the deal.

    OsirisO Osiris wrote on last edited by
    #86

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Here's a thought: Instead of outright trading the #12 pick to New England for JG, can we maybe SWITCH with the Patriots? They get 12, and we get 32? The deal would need more than just that, but that could be a starting point, AND we'd technically still have two first rounders, even though one would be at the very end. We'll know soon enough. If either of those teams package their first pick, I think that immediately knocks us out. UNLESS we simply overwhelm the Pats with a bevy of picks to pump up the deal.

    That idea was floated by Nathan Zigura on CBD last week, and I think it's a possibility. It's also possible the Browns trade the #12 pick for Garoppolo and a later round pick. Or #12 for Garoppolo and another player.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #87

    I'd be open to trading #12 for #32 and Jimmy G. If they have any other all-pro calibre guys sitting around they want to get rid of then I could be talked in to taking them too.

  • @tour2ma said:

    B. Not if we grow our own... not immediately anyway. Hopefully eventually...

    Sure. Later round picks sometimes turn into top-flight quarterbacks.

    Hit that 20 dealer. There are four aces in the deck right?

    🙂

    WSS

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #88

    @westside-steve said:

    Sure. Later round picks sometimes turn into top-flight quarterbacks.

    Hit that 20 dealer. There are four aces in the deck right?

    Or I simply prefer my mirages to yours... 😉

  • I'd be open to trading #12 for #32 and Jimmy G. If they have any other all-pro calibre guys sitting around they want to get rid of then I could be talked in to taking them too.

    OsirisO Osiris wrote on last edited by
    #89

    @gftchris said:

    I'd be open to trading #12 for #32 and Jimmy G. If they have any other all-pro calibre guys sitting around they want to get rid of then I could be talked in to taking them too.

    I think we'd have to give up a little more for that deal to work, like a day 2 or day 3 pick.

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by jiggins7919
    #90

    I think it comes down to 49's and Bears and what they decide to do with their first pick. If either team somehow falls in absolute love with JG and offers up THAT high of a draft pick, I think that might knock us out. If they aren't willing to part with such a high commodity, I think we'll make the deal. JG is also from the Chicago area I think, but not sure that means too much. Here's something else to keep in mind...there are probably going to be a few interesting free agent or cut QB's available. We don't know for sure, but here's an estimate of QB's that probably will be with a new team: Tyrod Taylor, Collin Kaepernick, Jay Cutler, Jimmy Garoppolo, and POSSIBLY Carson Palmer (I recently read that Palmer withdrew his children from school and put his house on the market...not sure what that means?). Let's take Palmer out of it, and focus on the first four. Those are the guys we can almost be sure will be playing for a new team. So who are the teams that will most likely be starting a new QB? Chicago, San Francisco, Cleveland, Houston, and Buffalo (there will probably be others, but those are just the five that pop into my head).

    Figuring out which player will go to which team is just guessing at this point, but that's what this part of the season is for! I don't LOVE Tyrod or Kaepernick, but I have to admit, both possess the athletic traits our coach apparently desires (which makes the Kessler selection so puzzling). Kaepernick had pretty good stats, better than you might think. He obviously didn't win many games, but he had 16 TD's to 4 INT's and a QB rating of 91. That's nothing to scoff at. Problem is, I don't love his accuracy or ability to read the field. He seems to rely a lot on "backyard football" skills, and he's also a magnificent douche bag. Tyrod Taylor is a solid selection, too. I'm guessing JG is our #1 choice (I have nothing to support that, just a total guess), but if the price is too high (which I think it WILL be), I'm thinking we're going to see Tyrod of Kaepernick in a Browns uniform.

    Edit: Tony Romo will most likely be out there too, but I don't see ANY way we go after him. I project him going to Houston or Chicago.

  • I think it comes down to 49's and Bears and what they decide to do with their first pick. If either team somehow falls in absolute love with JG and offers up THAT high of a draft pick, I think that might knock us out. If they aren't willing to part with such a high commodity, I think we'll make the deal. JG is also from the Chicago area I think, but not sure that means too much. Here's something else to keep in mind...there are probably going to be a few interesting free agent or cut QB's available. We don't know for sure, but here's an estimate of QB's that probably will be with a new team: Tyrod Taylor, Collin Kaepernick, Jay Cutler, Jimmy Garoppolo, and POSSIBLY Carson Palmer (I recently read that Palmer withdrew his children from school and put his house on the market...not sure what that means?). Let's take Palmer out of it, and focus on the first four. Those are the guys we can almost be sure will be playing for a new team. So who are the teams that will most likely be starting a new QB? Chicago, San Francisco, Cleveland, Houston, and Buffalo (there will probably be others, but those are just the five that pop into my head).

    Figuring out which player will go to which team is just guessing at this point, but that's what this part of the season is for! I don't LOVE Tyrod or Kaepernick, but I have to admit, both possess the athletic traits our coach apparently desires (which makes the Kessler selection so puzzling). Kaepernick had pretty good stats, better than you might think. He obviously didn't win many games, but he had 16 TD's to 4 INT's and a QB rating of 91. That's nothing to scoff at. Problem is, I don't love his accuracy or ability to read the field. He seems to rely a lot on "backyard football" skills, and he's also a magnificent douche bag. Tyrod Taylor is a solid selection, too. I'm guessing JG is our #1 choice (I have nothing to support that, just a total guess), but if the price is too high (which I think it WILL be), I'm thinking we're going to see Tyrod of Kaepernick in a Browns uniform.

    Edit: Tony Romo will most likely be out there too, but I don't see ANY way we go after him. I project him going to Houston or Chicago.

    OsirisO Osiris wrote on last edited by
    #91

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I think it comes down to 49's and Bears and what they decide to do with their first pick. If either team somehow falls in absolute love with JG and offers up THAT high of a draft pick, I think that might knock us out. If they aren't willing to part with such a high commodity, I think we'll make the deal. JG is also from the Chicago area I think, but not sure that means too much. Here's something else to keep in mind...there are probably going to be a few interesting free agent or cut QB's available. We don't know for sure, but here's an estimate of QB's that probably will be with a new team: Tyrod Taylor, Collin Kaepernick, Jay Cutler, Jimmy Garoppolo, and POSSIBLY Carson Palmer (I recently read that Palmer withdrew his children from school and put his house on the market...not sure what that means?). Let's take Palmer out of it, and focus on the first four. Those are the guys we can almost be sure will be playing for a new team. So who are the teams that will most likely be starting a new QB? Chicago, San Francisco, Cleveland, Houston, and Buffalo (there will probably be others, but those are just the five that pop into my head).

    Figuring out which player will go to which team is just guessing at this point, but that's what this part of the season is for! I don't LOVE Tyrod or Kaepernick, but I have to admit, both possess the athletic traits our coach apparently desires (which makes the Kessler selection so puzzling). Kaepernick had pretty good stats, better than you might think. He obviously didn't win many games, but he had 16 TD's to 4 INT's and a QB rating of 91. That's nothing to scoff at. Problem is, I don't love his accuracy or ability to read the field. He seems to rely a lot on "backyard football" skills, and he's also a magnificent douche bag. Tyrod Taylor is a solid selection, too. I'm guessing JG is our #1 choice (I have nothing to support that, just a total guess), but if the price is too high (which I think it WILL be), I'm thinking we're going to see Tyrod of Kaepernick in a Browns uniform.

    Edit: Tony Romo will most likely be out there too, but I don't see ANY way we go after him. I project him going to Houston or Chicago.

    Romo's best fit is with Houston. They are an instant Super Bowl contender if he goes there, and he gets to stay in Texas. Seems like a match made in heaven. My hope is the other Garroppolo contenders find their answers in free agency, because I don't want any of those guys.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #92

    @boo-radley said:

    I was referring to my lifetime.

    TJ Ward was good. Haden is good. I liked Jordan Cameron.

    The Browns always seem to have good WRs.

    No one cares about your lifetime. When were you born, 1999? You are obviously young and dumb if you did not see some of these guys play.