GOAT
-
Arthur. I've got 3 copies of it including 40th and 50th anniversary. One of those great American novels.
Next question. On whom did she base the character of Dill?
Ding ding ding... we have a winner.
I remember hearing about all the characters' roots back during the anniversary specials and pub of Harper Lee's original manuscript (IIRC), but not all the details.
I do remember a couple specials at the time talking about her friendship with Truman Capote, which was documented in two different movies about his researching and writing In Cold Blood. Dill was prissy enough to be Capote, but the timing seems off since ... Blood came years later than To Kill...
So I give...
Will you two just give it a fucking rest already? Every thread ends up clogged with your endless back and forth. Some of us actually want to talk about football.
There is a cure for that... just sayin'...
Ding ding ding... we have a winner.
I remember hearing about all the characters' roots back during the anniversary specials and pub of Harper Lee's original manuscript (IIRC), but not all the details.
I do remember a couple specials at the time talking about her friendship with Truman Capote, which was documented in two different movies about his researching and writing In Cold Blood. Dill was prissy enough to be Capote, but the timing seems off since ... Blood came years later than To Kill...
So I give...
You are right. Her childhood friend was Truman Capote author also of Breakfast at Tiffany's from the late 50's, well before In Cold Blood.
I just went to Wiki to retrieve this:
Friendship with Harper Lee
Capote based the character of Idabel in Other Voices, Other Rooms on his Monroeville neighbor and best friend, Harper Lee. Capote once acknowledged this: "Mr. and Mrs. Lee, Harper Lee's mother and father, lived very near. She was my best friend. Did you ever read her book, To Kill a Mockingbird? I'm a character in that book, which takes place in the same small town in Alabama where we lived. Her father was a lawyer, and she and I used to go to trials all the time as children. We went to the trials instead of going to the movies."[15] After the Pulitzer Prize was awarded to Lee in 1961 and Capote published In Cold Blood in 1966, the authors became increasingly distant from each other."
-
Ding ding ding... we have a winner.
I remember hearing about all the characters' roots back during the anniversary specials and pub of Harper Lee's original manuscript (IIRC), but not all the details.
I do remember a couple specials at the time talking about her friendship with Truman Capote, which was documented in two different movies about his researching and writing In Cold Blood. Dill was prissy enough to be Capote, but the timing seems off since ... Blood came years later than To Kill...
So I give...
You are right. Her childhood friend was Truman Capote author also of Breakfast at Tiffany's from the late 50's, well before In Cold Blood.
I just went to Wiki to retrieve this:
Friendship with Harper Lee
Capote based the character of Idabel in Other Voices, Other Rooms on his Monroeville neighbor and best friend, Harper Lee. Capote once acknowledged this: "Mr. and Mrs. Lee, Harper Lee's mother and father, lived very near. She was my best friend. Did you ever read her book, To Kill a Mockingbird? I'm a character in that book, which takes place in the same small town in Alabama where we lived. Her father was a lawyer, and she and I used to go to trials all the time as children. We went to the trials instead of going to the movies."[15] After the Pulitzer Prize was awarded to Lee in 1961 and Capote published In Cold Blood in 1966, the authors became increasingly distant from each other."
You are right. Her childhood friend was Truman Capote author also of Breakfast at Tiffany's from the late 50's, well before In Cold Blood.
I just went to Wiki to retrieve this:
Friendship with Harper Lee
Capote based the character of Idabel in Other Voices, Other Rooms on his Monroeville neighbor and best friend, Harper Lee. Capote once acknowledged this: "Mr. and Mrs. Lee, Harper Lee's mother and father, lived very near. She was my best friend. Did you ever read her book, To Kill a Mockingbird? I'm a character in that book, which takes place in the same small town in Alabama where we lived. Her father was a lawyer, and she and I used to go to trials all the time as children. We went to the trials instead of going to the movies."[15] After the Pulitzer Prize was awarded to Lee in 1961 and Capote published In Cold Blood in 1966, the authors became increasingly distant from each other."
Many suspect that it was Truman Capote who actually wrote To Kill a Mockingbird.:
In the decades since Harper Lee published TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD in 1960, her novel has been shadowed by a persistent rumor. The speculation has been that Lee's long time friend Truman Capote either wrote or heavily edited the book, which would go on to be a bestseller and win the Pulitzer Prize.
I believe though that the rumors were denied by both parties....(but who really knows)
-
-
-
Oh, fiddle-de-de Ms. Scarlett-we's on @ 11pm CST Thurs.

-
From Goats, to books to movies. Where do we go from here. I know. How about a Fresca?
-
QB yes, still might be able to argue Jim Brown overall but you can make a solid argument for Brady
-
The greatest of all time was LT. The Giants LT. Enough said.
-
The greatest of all time was LT. The Giants LT. Enough said.
Interesting but could be argued he isn't the best defensive player, Reggie White
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2016/03/lawrence_taylor_lists_himself_3rd_on_the_best_defe.html
-
The GOAT was Ghengis Khan. He built the largest empire in history:

-
"One said:
The greatest of all time was LT. The Giants LT. Enough said.
LT caused offenses to completely change the way they played football with pass protection, QB drop backs, quick releases and more, he was a bad dude to try to line up against....just ask Joe Theismann.
I thought LT was kind of a jerk until I heard him talk once, the NFL brass was almost laying for him waiting for him to screw up.
But he was an adrenaline junkie and ran afoul of the rules with his coke use but in that interview he said how I'll prepared he was for the big, fast lifestyle in the NFL. He said once he was just a young guy sitting in a bar with everyone glorifying him and he had $8,000 cash in his pocket, no wonder he could easily get into trouble.
His fault or not he was a bad dude that most fans would LOVE to have on their team on Sunday afternoon.
-
The GOAT was Ghengis Khan. He built the largest empire in history:

The GOAT was Ghengis Khan. He built the largest empire in history.....]
But could he sack the quarterback?
-
The GOAT was Ghengis Khan. He built the largest empire in history.....]
But could he sack the quarterback?
-
And back to movies.

-
He cut down quite a few in his day.

Is ol' Gengis on DVD like Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan? (Or how do we really know if GK was really that much of bad azz?)

-
He cut down quite a few in his day.

Is ol' Gengis on DVD like Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan? (Or how do we really know if GK was really that much of bad azz?)

Is ol' Gengis on DVD like Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan? (Or how do we really know if GK was really that much of bad azz?)

He conquered like 2/3rds of the known world at the time.....through military force.
Not sure if you consider that being a bad ass...but it seem pretty good evidence to me.
-
11 Greatest Conquerors in History, well according to this list
http://www.enki-village.com/10-greatest-conquerors-in-history.html
Attila the Hun. Living Years: 434-453 A.D. ...
Alexander the Great. Living Years: 356-323 B.C. ... <--- I always thought he was a bad dude
Julius Caesar. Living Years: 100-44 B.C (or possibly born in 102 B.C) ...
Bill Belichick 1980s A.D. to present
Caesar Augustus. Living Years: 63-14 B.C. ...
Charlemagne. Living Years: 742-814. ...
William the Conqueror. ...
Genghis Khan. ...
Tamerlane.
Napoleon
Hitler
-
11 Greatest Conquerors in History, well according to this list
http://www.enki-village.com/10-greatest-conquerors-in-history.html
Attila the Hun. Living Years: 434-453 A.D. ...
Alexander the Great. Living Years: 356-323 B.C. ... <--- I always thought he was a bad dude
Julius Caesar. Living Years: 100-44 B.C (or possibly born in 102 B.C) ...
Bill Belichick 1980s A.D. to present
Caesar Augustus. Living Years: 63-14 B.C. ...
Charlemagne. Living Years: 742-814. ...
William the Conqueror. ...
Genghis Khan. ...
Tamerlane.
Napoleon
Hitler
11 Greatest Conquerors in History, well according to this list
http://www.enki-village.com/10-greatest-conquerors-in-history.html
Attila the Hun. Living Years: 434-453 A.D. ...
Alexander the Great. Living Years: 356-323 B.C. ... <--- I always thought he was a bad dude
Julius Caesar. Living Years: 100-44 B.C (or possibly born in 102 B.C) ...
Bill Belichick 1980s A.D. to present
Caesar Augustus. Living Years: 63-14 B.C. ...
Charlemagne. Living Years: 742-814. ...
William the Conqueror. ...
Genghis Khan. ...
Tamerlane.
Napoleon
Hitler
The British Empire beats all of those.
Queen Victoria?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
