Skip to content

Run Defense Effectiveness Stat

The Browns Board
19 10 787
  • I don't know, but I do recall that I don't think D/Qwell Jackson ever made a tackle unless the rusher had already gained 5-6 yards downfield.

    @the-gipper said:

    I don't know, but I do recall that I don't think D/Qwell Jackson ever made a tackle unless the rusher had already gained 5-6 yards downfield.

    Yep, I had him in mind when thinking about this. He's an example of why just measuring total tackles is a deceptive statistic.

  • I don't know, but I do recall that I don't think D/Qwell Jackson ever made a tackle unless the rusher had already gained 5-6 yards downfield.

    @the-gipper said:

    I don't know, but I do recall that I don't think D/Qwell Jackson ever made a tackle unless the rusher had already gained 5-6 yards downfield.

    I'm a little behind, not sure if it is why you are talking about him ... but he got cut today.

    Zombo

  • The stats are out there somewhere, but I tried a while ago to find them and couldn't. I recall at some point Kirksey was leading the league in tackles no more than two yards from LOS (includes TfL obviously)

  • @the-gipper said:

    I don't know, but I do recall that I don't think D/Qwell Jackson ever made a tackle unless the rusher had already gained 5-6 yards downfield.

    I'm a little behind, not sure if it is why you are talking about him ... but he got cut today.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    I'm a little behind, not sure if it is why you are talking about him ... but he got cut today.

    Zombo

    Completely coincidental. I did not know that until you just said so.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I don't know, but I do recall that I don't think D/Qwell Jackson ever made a tackle unless the rusher had already gained 5-6 yards downfield.

    I'm a little behind, not sure if it is why you are talking about him ... but he got cut today.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    I'm a little behind, not sure if it is why you are talking about him ... but he got cut today.

    Zombo

    Hmmmm, seems like we are going through that pre-combine, pre-FA, pre-draft winnowing out process. By the time we get to the draft we should have a very good idea what the FO will do with it.

  • Zombo said:

    I'm a little behind, not sure if it is why you are talking about him ... but he got cut today.

    Zombo

    Hmmmm, seems like we are going through that pre-combine, pre-FA, pre-draft winnowing out process. By the time we get to the draft we should have a very good idea what the FO will do with it.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Hmmmm, seems like we are going through that pre-combine, pre-FA, pre-draft winnowing out process. By the time we get to the draft we should have a very good idea what the FO will do with it.

    .....

  • PFF thought the world of Dansby while he was here and I can assure there was a very good reason he was cut from the Browns and it had nothing to do with money. Stats are for losers, at least when it comes to football. See if you just read stats sheets you learn "nothing" about the game. That's why stats welps irritate me so much. Like watching the Browns O line cut loose primary edge rushers to run full speed into our QB's, but then having to sit and listen to some person scream "but PFF says.....".

    It feels to me like the people that compile the stats at PFF don't really know football. They're just doing it cause the whole fantasy thing is taking off and they have to put something down on paper otherwise how would the millions of fantasy league degenerates pick their lineups for the next week?

  • PFF thought the world of Dansby while he was here and I can assure there was a very good reason he was cut from the Browns and it had nothing to do with money. Stats are for losers, at least when it comes to football. See if you just read stats sheets you learn "nothing" about the game. That's why stats welps irritate me so much. Like watching the Browns O line cut loose primary edge rushers to run full speed into our QB's, but then having to sit and listen to some person scream "but PFF says.....".

    It feels to me like the people that compile the stats at PFF don't really know football. They're just doing it cause the whole fantasy thing is taking off and they have to put something down on paper otherwise how would the millions of fantasy league degenerates pick their lineups for the next week?

    @clevfan4life said:

    PFF ...... They're just doing it cause the whole fantasy thing is taking off and they have to put something down on paper otherwise how would the millions of fantasy league degenerates pick their lineups for the next week?

    Great statement.

    ...I quit being a 'fantasy league degenerate' many years ago. (though I never considered myself an, umm, degenerate) 🙂

  • @clevfan4life said:

    PFF ...... They're just doing it cause the whole fantasy thing is taking off and they have to put something down on paper otherwise how would the millions of fantasy league degenerates pick their lineups for the next week?

    Great statement.

    ...I quit being a 'fantasy league degenerate' many years ago. (though I never considered myself an, umm, degenerate) 🙂

    @orion said:

    Great statement.

    ...I quit being a 'fantasy league degenerate' many years ago. (though I never considered myself an, umm, degenerate) 🙂

    My daughter's father-in-law pulled me into the degenerate zone this year and I doubled my money. $$ talks. 😁

  • PFF thought the world of Dansby while he was here and I can assure there was a very good reason he was cut from the Browns and it had nothing to do with money. Stats are for losers, at least when it comes to football. See if you just read stats sheets you learn "nothing" about the game. That's why stats welps irritate me so much. Like watching the Browns O line cut loose primary edge rushers to run full speed into our QB's, but then having to sit and listen to some person scream "but PFF says.....".

    It feels to me like the people that compile the stats at PFF don't really know football. They're just doing it cause the whole fantasy thing is taking off and they have to put something down on paper otherwise how would the millions of fantasy league degenerates pick their lineups for the next week?

    @clevfan4life said:

    PFF thought the world of Dansby while he was here and I can assure there was a very good reason he was cut from the Browns and it had nothing to do with money. Stats are for losers, at least when it comes to football. See if you just read stats sheets you learn "nothing" about the game. That's why stats welps irritate me so much. Like watching the Browns O line cut loose primary edge rushers to run full speed into our QB's, but then having to sit and listen to some person scream "but PFF says.....".

    It feels to me like the people that compile the stats at PFF don't really know football. They're just doing it cause the whole fantasy thing is taking off and they have to put something down on paper otherwise how would the millions of fantasy league degenerates pick their lineups for the next week?

    Stats are an evaluation tool, but just a tool. Every team uses them as part of the process, but alone they decide nothing. It's more accurate to say "only losers rely on stats alone." I assure you the Patriots have one of the best analytics programs in the NFL and it isn't a coincidence that the largest sports analytics conference happens in Boston.

  • PFF thought the world of Dansby while he was here and I can assure there was a very good reason he was cut from the Browns and it had nothing to do with money. Stats are for losers, at least when it comes to football. See if you just read stats sheets you learn "nothing" about the game. That's why stats welps irritate me so much. Like watching the Browns O line cut loose primary edge rushers to run full speed into our QB's, but then having to sit and listen to some person scream "but PFF says.....".

    It feels to me like the people that compile the stats at PFF don't really know football. They're just doing it cause the whole fantasy thing is taking off and they have to put something down on paper otherwise how would the millions of fantasy league degenerates pick their lineups for the next week?

    @clevfan4life said:

    PFF thought the world of Dansby while he was here and I can assure there was a very good reason he was cut from the Browns and it had nothing to do with money. Stats are for losers, at least when it comes to football. See if you just read stats sheets you learn "nothing" about the game. That's why stats welps irritate me so much. Like watching the Browns O line cut loose primary edge rushers to run full speed into our QB's, but then having to sit and listen to some person scream "but PFF says.....".

    It feels to me like the people that compile the stats at PFF don't really know football. They're just doing it cause the whole fantasy thing is taking off and they have to put something down on paper otherwise how would the millions of fantasy league degenerates pick their lineups for the next week?

    There's room for both.

    If stats and "eye test" don't match up, there's probably a reason why, but more often than not they do. And when they do, there is also a reason why.

    Personally I save my skepticism for those who can "casually" watch a game and then miraculously "grade" every player on the field.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    PFF thought the world of Dansby while he was here and I can assure there was a very good reason he was cut from the Browns and it had nothing to do with money. Stats are for losers, at least when it comes to football. See if you just read stats sheets you learn "nothing" about the game. That's why stats welps irritate me so much. Like watching the Browns O line cut loose primary edge rushers to run full speed into our QB's, but then having to sit and listen to some person scream "but PFF says.....".

    It feels to me like the people that compile the stats at PFF don't really know football. They're just doing it cause the whole fantasy thing is taking off and they have to put something down on paper otherwise how would the millions of fantasy league degenerates pick their lineups for the next week?

    There's room for both.

    If stats and "eye test" don't match up, there's probably a reason why, but more often than not they do. And when they do, there is also a reason why.

    Personally I save my skepticism for those who can "casually" watch a game and then miraculously "grade" every player on the field.

    @tour2ma said:

    There's room for both.

    If stats and "eye test" don't match up, there's probably a reason why, but more often than not they do. And when they do, there is also a reason why.

    Personally I save my skepticism for those who can "casually" watch a game and then miraculously "grade" every player on the field.

    C+ post

  • @tour2ma said:

    There's room for both.

    If stats and "eye test" don't match up, there's probably a reason why, but more often than not they do. And when they do, there is also a reason why.

    Personally I save my skepticism for those who can "casually" watch a game and then miraculously "grade" every player on the field.

    C+ post

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    C+ post

    lol... Is that straight on on a curve?

  • Funny how often I have gone out of my way to watch a particular athlete play a college game on Sat. and someone else actually jumps off the screen. Early last season I watched Bama to see what Allen could actually do (and it was impressive), but Foster was everywhere chasing down play after play. That was eye opening to say the least and nothing has changed to lead me away from maybe trading up to get him from #12 with some of that extra ammunition we have. Be worth it IMO.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    C+ post

    lol... Is that straight on on a curve?

    @tour2ma said:

    lol... Is that straight on on a curve?

    Straight as an arrow.

    On the Browns Board curve, that's closer to an A+.

  • Funny how often I have gone out of my way to watch a particular athlete play a college game on Sat. and someone else actually jumps off the screen. Early last season I watched Bama to see what Allen could actually do (and it was impressive), but Foster was everywhere chasing down play after play. That was eye opening to say the least and nothing has changed to lead me away from maybe trading up to get him from #12 with some of that extra ammunition we have. Be worth it IMO.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Funny how often I have gone out of my way to watch a particular athlete play a college game on Sat. and someone else actually jumps off the screen. Early last season I watched Bama to see what Allen could actually do (and it was impressive), but Foster was everywhere chasing down play after play. That was eye opening to say the least and nothing has changed to lead me away from maybe trading up to get him from #12 with some of that extra ammunition we have. Be worth it IMO.

    That's 2 players down, 9 to go... 😉

    Not unusual to get "distracted". Happening now as I am grading Temple's Dawkins, with whom I may be falling in love. Their QB has some skills.

  • PFF thought the world of Dansby while he was here and I can assure there was a very good reason he was cut from the Browns and it had nothing to do with money. Stats are for losers, at least when it comes to football. See if you just read stats sheets you learn "nothing" about the game. That's why stats welps irritate me so much. Like watching the Browns O line cut loose primary edge rushers to run full speed into our QB's, but then having to sit and listen to some person scream "but PFF says.....".

    It feels to me like the people that compile the stats at PFF don't really know football. They're just doing it cause the whole fantasy thing is taking off and they have to put something down on paper otherwise how would the millions of fantasy league degenerates pick their lineups for the next week?

    @clevfan4life said:

    PFF thought the world of Dansby while he was here and I can assure there was a very good reason he was cut from the Browns and it had nothing to do with money. Stats are for losers, at least when it comes to football. See if you just read stats sheets you learn "nothing" about the game. That's why stats welps irritate me so much. Like watching the Browns O line cut loose primary edge rushers to run full speed into our QB's, but then having to sit and listen to some person scream "but PFF says.....".

    It feels to me like the people that compile the stats at PFF don't really know football. They're just doing it cause the whole fantasy thing is taking off and they have to put something down on paper otherwise how would the millions of fantasy league degenerates pick their lineups for the next week?

    I think Dansby was let go ....in Free agency I believe, in a youth movement. Whitner the same, several others as well. Not sure it had anything to do with his stats or his play. If he had been 5-8 years younger and had played exactly as he had, he would have been kept.