Skip to content

What's your favorite vacation or getaway place?

Barber Shop Talk
34 9 2.8k
  • @boo-fagley said:

    I always have something wrong fly fishing for trout.

    The fish has to be famished for me to catch it on a fly rod. Ultra light spinning reel is different.

    Where do you trout fish & what flies do you use?

    Mike

  • @boo-fagley said:

    In Missouri and a couple of times in Arkansas - White river and Norfolk river.

    I use nymphs, woolly boogers, sometimes dry flies if there is a hatch. Im reading a book that swears by scuds as the main part of Ozark trouts diet.

    Do you remember Brewer and Shipley? One toke over the line? I met Jim Shipley on the river in Missouri. He lives down there and fly fishes all the time. Funny and unpretentious. He lost his wading staff that day in the river and was all upset about it. Probably a millionaire 10 times over and worried about losing a $50 wading staff.

    I have thought about taking my son to Missouri on a more or less fishing trip. To Lake Ozark area. (he is the fisherman, not I).

    Do you think that would be a good place to go?

  • Wow this has turned into a nice anglers thread.

  • @boo-fagley said:

    What type of fishing?

    Well, he does fly fishing......but he will do non fly as well. Whatever you call it. Regular fishing? I don't know....its his bag, not mine.

  • @boo-fagley said:

    Montauk state park has good fly fishing. Inside the park can get crowded, but its not uncommon to catch 3 lb + trout in the trophy area. Out side the park down the Current river is great too, but more challenging and you will see less people.https://mostateparks.com/park/current-river-state-park Its easier getting there from St Louis than KC, but KC has the BBQ. They have a motel and cabins for rent, store and restaurant. https://mostateparks.com/park/montauk-state-park

    Taneycomo has good trout fishing and is in Branson, MO https://huntfish.mdc.mo.gov/fishing/regulations/special-areas/lake-taneycomo

    Missouri crappy fishing in the spring is fantastic. Truman lake is just south of KC and they rent boats. If you hit it when the crappy are bedding, you will catch more fish than you know what to do with. Forage in the nearby woods for morel mushrooms and youll have a meal fit for a King. I was probably 30 feet below a bald eagles nest on that lake. https://mostateparks.com/park/harry-s-truman-state-park

    Lake of the Ozarks probably has good fishing, but will be like the ocean in the warm weather months since they receive so much boat traffic.

    If I were to go I would probably staying at a time share on Lake of the Ozarks. I would take in while there the Ozark National Scenic Riverway...which I believe encompasses the Current and Jack Fork Rivers. Montauk State Park would likely be part of my travel plan for there. And around Round Spring, Two Rivers, and Blue Spring. Ever been to those spots?

    I really would not want to get into the whole Branson mess. I have been through there once. Once is basically enough.

    I see on the map that Truman Reservoir is fairly near LOMO (Lake Ozark Missouri)

    One good time to perhaps go would be during spring break, as my son would be off school. You say that would be a good time to go?

    See this:

    https://www.nps.gov/ozar/planyourvisit/maps.htm

  • Every time I ever when on a canoe river/creek I caught trout on just a simple crappie jig with a mini open cast.

  • Every time I ever when on a canoe river/creek I caught trout on just a simple crappie jig with a mini open cast.

    "One said:

    Every time I ever when on a canoe river/creek I caught trout on just a simple crappie jig with a mini open cast.

    My best ever crappie lure was a simple red and white daredevil.

  • "One said:

    Every time I ever when on a canoe river/creek I caught trout on just a simple crappie jig with a mini open cast.

    My best ever crappie lure was a simple red and white daredevil.

    @mjp28 said:

    My best ever crappie lure was a simple red and white daredevil.

    I fish for crappie at Otter Lake outside of Girard il. I use a simple lead jig then choose which color they're biting on. The lake is overran with crappie you can catch them all day. Good eating.
  • @mjp28 said:

    My best ever crappie lure was a simple red and white daredevil.

    I fish for crappie at Otter Lake outside of Girard il. I use a simple lead jig then choose which color they're biting on. The lake is overran with crappie you can catch them all day. Good eating.

    "One said:

    I fish for crappie at Otter Lake outside of Girard il. I use a simple lead jig then cwhoose which color they're biting on. The lake is overran with crappie you can catch them all day. Good eating.

    Where I grew up way back when was by Liberty and Girard, OH lakes, Small world sorta', and yes loads of crappies.

  • @boo-fagley said:

    Filleted. breaded and fried/

    Oh yes.
  • @boo-fagley said:

    With Morel mushrooms you find in the woods.

    Make sure you know what you're doing when picking wild mushrooms, or you'll destroy your liver.

  • @boo-fagley said:

    Or, wind up on the wrong side of the green grass

    Around here its not too dangerous since they are so widespread.

    Or, you could end up going on a groovy trip, man. Like far out. Then everything would be right on. Things would be a gas.

    Just don't bogart those mushrooms man. You wouldn't want to bum everybody out. You gotta be cool and not be a flake. Otherwise you would freak us all out. Since we all prefer to hang loose, man. And keep hep dude, we don't want things to get too heavy. Just stay mellow, yellow. If you do that things will stay outta sight man. It is a time to stay righteous so we can all have it made in the shade.

    Power to the people.

  • @boo-fagley said:

    I used to have those.

    I use panther martins now for trout when using a spinning rod. Gold and black is my go to lure.

    Come to think about it those red/white daredevils came in several sizes I used a mid size I believe. All my old gear is in mom's basement.....somewhere. As kids we got loads of gear from snags at the lake.

  • @boo-fagley said:

    When I go trout fishing I salvage all kinds of flies and lures that people gave up on.

    Oh yeah and as kids that stuff was gold! Bobblers, sinkers, lures even poles. Got a great 3 pc bamboo set....remember those?

  • @boo-fagley said:

    Ive seen those 3 pc rods.

    You could basically fish for free salvaging tackle. I reeled in a pole one day too.

    My childhood, kept the bamboo pole hidden at the lake with hooks, etc. We could find...and sell...worms under rocks everywhere.

    When I was 15-17 used to shoot my .22 rifle at the same lake after the closing siren....sounds like Mayberry, it was.

  • @boo-fagley said:

    We couldnt have guns in Massachusetts but grew up outside down by the river, pond, brook or lake.

    I guess after the Minuteman guns were banned there. 😆

  • In terms of somewhere I like to return to over and over again it would have to be Myrtle Beach. I love Myrtle Beach. It's a perfect vacation destination, especially with young kids. It's not ridiculously expensive, there's a lot to do and it's familiar and comfortable.

  • In terms of somewhere I like to return to over and over again it would have to be Myrtle Beach. I love Myrtle Beach. It's a perfect vacation destination, especially with young kids. It's not ridiculously expensive, there's a lot to do and it's familiar and comfortable.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    In terms of somewhere I like to return to over and over again it would have to be Myrtle Beach. I love Myrtle Beach. It's a perfect vacation destination, especially with young kids. It's not ridiculously expensive, there's a lot to do and it's familiar and comfortable.

    Given you avatar I would have thought you'd say Waco. That's pretty creepy dude.

  • Yeah it's supposed to be. I suppose you cant see the buddy Jesus it's on.

  • If I had to chose one place (not counting Morocoy National Park on the coast of Venezuela because I can't go safely), it would be St. John Island, US Virgin Islands just for the wonderful snorkeling in so many places around the island. My kids still talk about that trip almost 30 years after the fact, because where else can you swim with barracudas and a fully mature queen anglefish all in one place.

    queen-angelfish-1-5394829.jpg