Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. For Those Who Want to Learn More about OL Evaluations... and Get to Know Garrett a Bit Better

For Those Who Want to Learn More about OL Evaluations... and Get to Know Garrett a Bit Better

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
Robinson v Garrett
16 Posts 8 Posters 719 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Tour2ma Tour2maT In Memoriam Dedicated Conversation Starter Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
    • 30k Posts
    • 6k Reputation
    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #1

    This breakdown was posted over at reddit. The guy knows his stuff, illustrates finer points well with tape and is a little entertaining to boot.

    I have not gotten to Cam Robinson yet (still on Ramcyzk), but already have come to the poster's conclusion: this OT class is not strong.

    Also was very interested to hear him wondering aloud about Garrett's DC keeping him on a proverbial leash. I had the same impression in a couple different, 2016 TAMU games.

    Anyway enjoy...

    "When you have a shared vision it is a lot easier to make unpopular decisions." - Paul DePodesta "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less." - Paul Brown Complete 2017 Browns Board Mock: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46196
    FlugelF 1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • Clevfan4life C Banned Very Popular
      • 24k Posts
      • 1k Reputation
      C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
      #2

      i think im in camp garrett now. You still saw the things i mentioned months ago about how when a tackle gets his hands on Garrett things start to slow down quick. So yeah, Garrett is still going to be an issue on run defense though when teams run right at him. But he'll get stronger, and that fluidity in space....that's now what's sealed it for me. Being able to zone your DE like that and have him be that good in space. If Nassib gets stronger this coming year we'll have to solid bookends that can do alot of the heavy lifting so Garett won't be asked to do too much too soon. So we've gotta take him.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Tour2ma Tour2maT In Memoriam Dedicated Conversation Starter Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
        • 30k Posts
        • 6k Reputation
        Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
        #3

        Welcome aboard...

        Plus you could see Myles limping at a couple points in the tape, so that ankle was still hindering him.

        Just looks like anything short of a great LT is going to struggle vs. MG. Even vs. the best, if he is not given contain responsibility for the QB to his side, then he's going to have his share of success.

        And then, of course, you can always move him... anywhere else... on or just off the LOS.

        If you are the opposing QB, do you want to see him as one of two filling the double A? 🤔 Alongside Jamie? 😮

        "When you have a shared vision it is a lot easier to make unpopular decisions." - Paul DePodesta "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less." - Paul Brown Complete 2017 Browns Board Mock: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46196
        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • gumby73 gumby73G Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
          • 11k Posts
          • 4k Reputation
          gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
          #4

          OJ Howard was not afraid to block Myles either 🙂. A proven Garrett may see a lot of TE or H-Back help to his outside. He will need a inside swim or inside spin at next level..but who can bitch at that motor

          Browns & Buffett: Got to go fishin, Down to rock bottom again, with just a few Friends Team Brotherhood-"It's not about You,Me or I. It's about building We"..Hue Jackson
          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • wargograw W One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
            • 5k Posts
            • 363 Reputation
            W wargograw wrote on last edited by
            #5

            Chavis is more known for simple schemes and letting the boys play so I'd be interested to hear more about this short leash.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • tiamat63 tiamat63T Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Week One Done One Month Later One Year In Very Popular
              • 13k Posts
              • 5k Reputation
              tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
              #6

              I remember watching that tape on Garrett and begging for a spin move. He might not have gotten any sacks with it, but he would have drawn a holding call or two.

              Great breakdown on Robinson.

              W 1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • TexasAg1969 T Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                • 23k Posts
                • 6k Reputation
                T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
                #7

                Tour is right. He was only a month out from the original high ankle sprain, had already not even traveled to the S. Carolina game and admitted later in the season a couple of games past bama that he was playing at about 70%. I'm not even sure he could attempt much of a spin move in the Bama game. The scouts who have watched his games for his full 3 years are fully aware of this or he would have fallen out of the #1 position after his worst season of the 3. Fortunately that is not a permanent injury and tends to be one that just nags for a few months. It should be interesting to see if he is fully recovered by combine time. The way he has talked recently about trying to ace it makes me think he has.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • Clevfan4life C Banned Very Popular
                  • 24k Posts
                  • 1k Reputation
                  C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  I need to look again at his run d and power rush moves. I wanna be sure googly eyes didnt get me

                  T 1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • C Clevfan4life

                    I need to look again at his run d and power rush moves. I wanna be sure googly eyes didnt get me

                    TexasAg1969 T Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                    • 23k Posts
                    • 6k Reputation
                    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    @clevfan4life said:

                    I need to look again at his run d and power rush moves. I wanna be sure googly eyes didnt get me

                    I would recommend you watch the pre-injury UCLA game. Much better idea against a guy who is likely late day 2 early day 3 pick.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • Browns1216 Browns1216B
                      • 690 Posts
                      • 76 Reputation
                      Browns1216B Browns1216 wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      damn. I was all for drafting Allen but Garrett is a beast, would be thrilled to have him as the #1 pick.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • tiamat63T tiamat63

                        I remember watching that tape on Garrett and begging for a spin move. He might not have gotten any sacks with it, but he would have drawn a holding call or two.

                        Great breakdown on Robinson.

                        wargograw W One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                        • 5k Posts
                        • 363 Reputation
                        W wargograw wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        @tiamat63 said:

                        I remember watching that tape on Garrett and begging for a spin move. He might not have gotten any sacks with it, but he would have drawn a holding call or two.

                        Great breakdown on Robinson.

                        They don't call holding in the SEC, on OL nor DBs. I don't like it. It's wrong. But it is well known.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • Tour2maT Tour2ma

                          This breakdown was posted over at reddit. The guy knows his stuff, illustrates finer points well with tape and is a little entertaining to boot.

                          I have not gotten to Cam Robinson yet (still on Ramcyzk), but already have come to the poster's conclusion: this OT class is not strong.

                          Also was very interested to hear him wondering aloud about Garrett's DC keeping him on a proverbial leash. I had the same impression in a couple different, 2016 TAMU games.

                          Anyway enjoy...

                          Flugel FlugelF Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                          • 11k Posts
                          • 6k Reputation
                          FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
                          #12

                          @tour2ma said:

                          This breakdown was posted over at reddit. The guy knows his stuff, illustrates finer points well with tape and is a little entertaining to boot.

                          I have not gotten to Cam Robinson yet (still on Ramcyzk), but already have come to the poster's conclusion: this OT class is not strong.

                          Also was very interested to hear him wondering aloud about Garrett's DC keeping him on a proverbial leash. I had the same impression in a couple different, 2016 TAMU games.

                          Anyway enjoy...

                          I thought I'd look at this again since Ghoolie keeps mentioning Robinson owned Garrett.

                          Here's some stuff that jumped out at me in the 1st 10 minutes I watched from the 14 minute video:

                          1) Any time Robinson wasn't schemed up/man ruled to block Garrett, it was usually an easy backside clamp down for a loss.

                          2) The 1 time Garrett was lined up on the LG - Garrett wasn't challenged very good and it was a tackle for a loss on the playside.

                          3) I don't recall 1 play whether it was a QB scramble or a RB that Garrett lost contain or outside leverage on. Garrett's explosiveness out of stance consistently gave him the textbook pass rush depth outside that eased the ability contain and maintain outside leverage. That wasn't a guy losing the battle at all. There was 1 play where Jalen Hurts cut up field inside of Robinson which had A&M counting on pursuit from Garrett's teammates as the scheme counted on (A&M LBer #33 should have been in ideal position to stop that but he made a lousy read and committed himself to the inside of the RB to allow Hurts to move the chains. I was actually pleased to see Garrett sticking to the scheme rather than placing "I before team" for glamor boy #s. That's a good sign IMO rather than seeing some brat we need to worry about showing up entitled and all about the me.

                          4) Bama's game plan couldn't have been any more respectful of Garrett in terms of the volume of short/quick passes it demanded from it's QB.

                          5) I didn't see any Courtney Brown olay moves that pardoned himself from the point of attack when the run came at him or to his side of the field. He consistently won his positioning by getting out of his stance before Robinson did. You can't coach that. It's there or it isn't. Well, you can in some cases I suppose if it's just a fanny that needs to be lit.

                          6) I noticed the video bounced around when I looked at some of the first shots of Garrrett coming off the ball were in the 2nd and 4th quarters. The first impression some might have gotten is that Garrett came out of his stance a little high looking a little fatigued so it was important to notice the situation and where in the game it occurred. If he comes here, we can keep his energy fresh by rotating in someone like Ogbah, Nassib or Orchard if Des Bryant is playing on our other edge. That shouldn't suck...

                          Sometimes the people commentating videos are unaware of a scheme; and I liked that the guy (Brett Kollmann) doing this video mentioned that when he said he wanted to see Garrett take more inside moves. Some defenses in the SEC learned how dangerous that was to give Hurts the green light outside. That kid can blaze. Not to mention, he was also a high school powerlifting champion for his weight class just to add in an element of power to every head of steam he builds up. I enjoyed the battles I saw from Garrett and Richardson. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the last 4 minutes of the video just in case that was where Robinson Raggedy Ann'd Myles Garrett...

                          I welcome the only Defensive Coordinator to earn a Superbowl Ring in New Orleans while understanding Revenge of the Nerds is a sequel. "Come get some!"
                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • Tour2ma Tour2maT In Memoriam Dedicated Conversation Starter Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
                            • 30k Posts
                            • 6k Reputation
                            Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            I was actually pleased to see Garrett sticking to the scheme rather than placing "I before team" for glamor boy #s

                            .

                            A point I've made, or at least wondered about aloud, is a few posts.

                            Folks see Allen stacking his opposite and think, "controlled his assignment". Folks see Garrett do the same thing and think, "neutralized" or "taking a play off."

                            "When you have a shared vision it is a lot easier to make unpopular decisions." - Paul DePodesta "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less." - Paul Brown Complete 2017 Browns Board Mock: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46196
                            FlugelF C 2 Replies Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • Tour2maT Tour2ma

                              I was actually pleased to see Garrett sticking to the scheme rather than placing "I before team" for glamor boy #s

                              .

                              A point I've made, or at least wondered about aloud, is a few posts.

                              Folks see Allen stacking his opposite and think, "controlled his assignment". Folks see Garrett do the same thing and think, "neutralized" or "taking a play off."

                              Flugel FlugelF Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                              • 11k Posts
                              • 6k Reputation
                              FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              @tour2ma said:

                              .

                              A point I've made, or at least wondered about aloud, is a few posts.

                              Folks see Allen stacking his opposite and think, "controlled his assignment". Folks see Garrett do the same thing and think, "neutralized" or "taking a play off."

                              I wondered and worried about the motor too. My first impression of Garrett was in a game he was playing in a lot of pain from the high ankle injury that I didn't know too much about. Consequently, I thought why isn't this guy hustling or getting a pursuit angle on ball carriers passing the los. I didn't see any limping - I just saw some jogging I misinterpreted (without the information telling me he was sucking it up and playing in pain even at the extent it might have made him look bad). Clowney didn't do that for SC as Steve Spurrier wasn't shy about to the media.

                              Just what I've learned from my walk with this game. A big key to winning position is getting there first. Garrett consistently did that to Robinson (whose advantage was supposed to be knowing the snap count) in terms of getting that text book depth while maintaining his outside leverage. I liked the battle both guys gave.

                              Another HUGE key is pad height, which varied in this matchup with level of fatigue dictating whether it was ideal or sloppy from Garrett. I see some surprisingly good instincts from Garrett. The consistency of application can be coached and so can rotating in a fresh body like Orchard, Nassib or Ogbah (if Des Bryant starts at the other edge).

                              Garrett is growing on me. If that was his toughest matchup, I never saw the University of Michigan running right at the olay moves of a Courtney Brown for long sustained scoring drives projecting trouble ahead in the NFL. NFL OCs preferred to run at Brown rather than leave him unblocked for easy TFLs from backside clampdowns. Those fluffed/concealed some of the inconvenient realities with Courtney.

                              This doesn't mean I'm right by any means off of just 1 film session extract; but I think Garrett looks more stout against the run when it comes at him and with sealing the edge. We shall see...

                              I welcome the only Defensive Coordinator to earn a Superbowl Ring in New Orleans while understanding Revenge of the Nerds is a sequel. "Come get some!"
                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • Tour2maT Tour2ma

                                I was actually pleased to see Garrett sticking to the scheme rather than placing "I before team" for glamor boy #s

                                .

                                A point I've made, or at least wondered about aloud, is a few posts.

                                Folks see Allen stacking his opposite and think, "controlled his assignment". Folks see Garrett do the same thing and think, "neutralized" or "taking a play off."

                                Clevfan4life C Banned Very Popular
                                • 24k Posts
                                • 1k Reputation
                                C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                @tour2ma said:

                                .

                                A point I've made, or at least wondered about aloud, is a few posts.

                                Folks see Allen stacking his opposite and think, "controlled his assignment". Folks see Garrett do the same thing and think, "neutralized" or "taking a play off."

                                Don't you think Garett leads with a shoulder too much instead of locking out? When I see tape of Allen he locks out first where Garett likes to throw a lead shoulder to control the point. I don't think that's gonna work in the NFL. It looks like when Garett does try to lock out his arms gets folded up and thats when the tackle gets up in him. Allen seems to keep a way better spine angle. I'll bring up Bosa again just for comparison sake as he was the gold standard in that regard. Garett seems like a guy that needs to hit the line with speed in order to give himself a moment to diagnose the play before the OL regains his composure.

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • Tour2ma Tour2maT In Memoriam Dedicated Conversation Starter Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
                                  • 30k Posts
                                  • 6k Reputation
                                  Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  Talking run D first here I take it? If yes, that's a fair assessment.

                                  Players primarily use the best assets they have. Both Allen and Bosa have more lower half power, but even they look different to me... more alike in their approaches as compared to Myles, but not exactly the same. All also tend to start from DE positions that accentuate their attributes, with Allen the tightest and Garrett the widest, and angles dictate engagement.

                                  I see all colliding with shoulders involved. Of the three I see Allen the most square more of the time then using his hip snap and press strength to separate and control, and, as I've said before, his press-outs tend to move his blocker backwards. I don't see that in either of the other two. Allen only tends to "burst" if he sees a gap created by a pulling OL, usually an OG. He's as pure a read-react DL as there is in this draft. He honors the run first, then reacts to pass. When he does, if he does not have contain responsibility, which he seems to have quite often, then he usually converts his "lock" to a pull of the OL's breast plate followed by a swim.

                                  On the other extreme Myles does tend to lead with his inside shoulder reinforcing his blocker's natural, and understandable, anticipation of protecting "wide first". He uses his sudden stop to separate in run D getting a free "lock" until the runner declares. He only seems to situationally sell out to his pass rush, which out of a 3-point is almost universally a speed-edge rip. From a 2-point he's more likely to swim or spin inside. So he has more to develop, but has shown all the tools.

                                  Joey? Kind of a hybrid... has more moves all primarily out of a 3-point. Longer body, but shorter arms than Garrett. He has the techniques down. Physically gifted, but not a gifted as Garrett. Strong, but not as strong as Allen. He can get stronger and certainly will gain experience. He's going to be good for a long time, but he's about as good as he's going to get. Certainly much closer to maxxed out, than Myles is.

                                  Hope this makes sense... written over about an hour with multiple interruptions...

                                  "When you have a shared vision it is a lot easier to make unpopular decisions." - Paul DePodesta "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less." - Paul Brown Complete 2017 Browns Board Mock: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46196
                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply

                                  Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                  Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                  With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                  Register Login
                                  Reply
                                  • Reply as topic
                                  Log in to reply
                                  • Oldest to Newest
                                  • Newest to Oldest
                                  • Most Votes


                                  Theme
                                  • System
                                  • Light
                                  • Dark
                                  The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                  The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                  • First post
                                    Last post
                                  0
                                  • Forums
                                  • Recent
                                  • Popular
                                  • Users
                                  • Donate