Cousins?
-
Our offense was bad, and I can make a 1000 excuses for it, but the bottom line is we didn't score enough points, and we didn't sustain enough drives necessary to provide rest to our defense. We need a QB, and that's the simple truth, and we need him to stay healthy. Regardless of what people say, I believe RG III's injury was just bad luck. The guy was trying to get out of bounds and broke a bone I've never heard of. He was TRYING to do the right thing, and he got screwed. That one play set the tone for the entire year, and that's sad.
We tore our team down to the nub, and we were STILL in more games than we probably should've been. Yeah, our record completely sucked, but even with our severe lack of talent, I still think we would've won 5-6 games if we had someone like Tyrod Taylor. No team is going to succeed playing 3 or 4 starting QB's in a season, and that's the bottom line. People call me crazy all of the time, and it doesn't bother me, but I think if we get Garoppolo, we'll battle for 8-8 in 2017. I honestly believe that. Our schedule appears somewhat favorable, our division is getting weaker (finally), and it's time for the Browns to start building something. I think we have the right coach, the right DC, and we're going to BUILD now. Laugh all you want, it's fine. I honestly believe we have a plan, and in a couple months, the fans will be feeling pretty excited. Trust me.
-
@ghoolie said:
Great defense is important. Great offense makes great defense. The defensive players the Browns had were fine, not great, but fine, certianly 8 - 8 fine. I imagine if you did the calculating and compared all the defenses based on 2 quarters or 3 quarters, our team looks pretty good. The reason we lost so many games down the stretch had EVERYTHING to do with offense, and NOTHING to do with defense.
Absurd? No, not at all.
Any performance, I don't care if it is athletic, musical, job interview, public speaking, building a cabinet, is not simply achieved on motor and physical skills. There is an emotional, intellectual component to it. Next to testosterone, adrenaline is the most powerful chemical in the human body........it cranks out endorphine.....it enables people to play through pain, to overcome adversity, to achieve things far above their pay grade.
Listen to Dwight White talk about Bradshaw. I heard him say that no matter how tired and how beaten they were, when Bradshaw spoke to the team, somehow they found the juice to get him the ball. The D always believed they could win. I am sure this is universal with the D's that played for most of the great QBs.
The Browns lost so many games in the fourth quarter for two reasons.
- Fatigue. The offense put them under pressure the entire game. Giving up 10 points equated to losing
- Absolutely no internal belief that the offense was going to pull it out
There are so many platitudes and euphemisms one could apply to this situation, but it is simple. Why Cleveland fans and experts don't get it, I have no idea; As goes the Quarterback, so goes the entire team. Without offense, defense is largely impotent. Yes, yes, you can cite Ravens first and a couple others, but everything has an exception. Exceptions however don't break the rule.
When you think of the great defensive games over the years, it is always the 4th quarter in which the great Ds really pound the fuck out of the opposition. Yes, because their offense kept them fresh, and motivated.
Unless the Browns have a stellar QB and offense in 2017, drafting Garrett will have no net effect on the Browns outcomes, nor on the defense. Oh, he will make some great hits and moves, but smart offensive schemes will keep him like a heavyweight boxer who tries to throw nothing but knockout punches. He will be as shagged in the 4th qtr as the guy were in 2016..
You want a great defense? Trade the 2018 1st rounder and Joe Thomas for a 2017 first rounder. Pick 3 times in the 1st round, then what is it #1 (33) in the second round? Get a QB, a REAL WR. Get a stud OL if you want, but draft offense. That's the foundation of a good defense.
I basically disagree with the general concept of this post. Certainly the Browns offense was nothing to write home about....but we were 1-15 based more on the awful play of the defense than the offense.
I do agree however that a single defender is no where near the value of a good QB. But the Browns still lost a lot more because of bad defense.
-
-
The Niners link isn't going away maybe the Skins really are considering trading him?
If so I am straight on the phone offering them the #1 pick. Cousins is a proven franchise QB now, they aren't available often.
-
The Niners link isn't going away maybe the Skins really are considering trading him?
If so I am straight on the phone offering them the #1 pick. Cousins is a proven franchise QB now, they aren't available often.
The Niners link isn't going away maybe the Skins really are considering trading him?
If so I am straight on the phone offering them the #1 pick. Cousins is a proven franchise QB now, they aren't available often.
If it is such a proven thing....then why are the Redskins fooling around with him? Why not sign him to a longer term deal? Perhaps either because they are not convinced or because they are a dysfunctional front office. I say a bit of both.
-
Seems pretty clear he doesn't want to be there. Their GM isn't even in the office at the moment it's been all over twitter. And this on the day they can sign free agents. Seems a huge mess in DC right now
-
The Niners link isn't going away maybe the Skins really are considering trading him?
If so I am straight on the phone offering them the #1 pick. Cousins is a proven franchise QB now, they aren't available often.
The Niners link isn't going away maybe the Skins really are considering trading him?
If so I am straight on the phone offering them the #1 pick. Cousins is a proven franchise QB now, they aren't available often.
I would do that 100%.
-
First overall for Cousins? Not. A. Chance.
-
Shall we offer it for Jared Goff instead?
I sometimes wonder what Browns fans want at the QB position.
-
First overall for Cousins? Not. A. Chance.
First overall for Cousins? Not. A. Chance.
Cousins wants to go to SFO. Do you think that the Niners would give their #2 overall for him?
If Cousins does go to SFO, that would mean they would be out of the QB market as far as the draft is concerned, no?
-
Shall we offer it for Jared Goff instead?
I sometimes wonder what Browns fans want at the QB position.
I sometimes wonder what Browns fans want at the QB position.
And I always wonder why anyone would trade for a tagged player...
"Oh Boy! Let's trade multiple, high picks now for a player we might only rent for one year. A year we might have waited and then signed the player for free."
-
You'd only do it if you were signing him to a long term deal?
-
You'd only do it if you were signing him to a long term deal?
You'd only do it if you were signing him to a long term deal?
Nope... I would not do it... period.
I can wait a year. Spend it watching Myles on D... and smiling...
-
It SF gets Cousins and Chi gets Glennon then either Watson or Trubisky likely falls to us @ 12 if we don't get Taylor from Buff.
-
It SF gets Cousins and Chi gets Glennon then either Watson or Trubisky likely falls to us @ 12 if we don't get Taylor from Buff.
It SF gets Cousins and Chi gets Glennon then either Watson or Trubisky likely falls to us @ 12 if we don't get Taylor from Buff.
... or Garop from NE... which got me thinking...
I can see an old-fashioned, three-way blockbuster forming up...
- Cousins to SF... SF's #2 overall to WSH.
- Garop to WSH... SF's #2 to NE... NE's #32 to WSH.
Probably a couple other picks flying around to balance things. Probably some contingencies on the QBs signing deals, but seems plausible.
Of course NE would immediately start shopping the #2 overall...
-
First overall for Cousins? Not. A. Chance.
If he agreed to a long term deal he is worth the #1 all day long. There is no player available FA or draft that would have this kind of impact. Basically 5000 passing yards, 25 TD's 4 rushing TD's and a 2/1 Int ratio two years running. Give him equal to better weapons than Washington and he's elite.First overall for Cousins? Not. A. Chance.
-
If he agreed to a long term deal he is worth the #1 all day long. There is no player available FA or draft that would have this kind of impact. Basically 5000 passing yards, 25 TD's 4 rushing TD's and a 2/1 Int ratio two years running. Give him equal to better weapons than Washington and he's elite.First overall for Cousins? Not. A. Chance.
If he agreed to a long term deal he is worth the #1 all day long. There is no player available FA or draft that would have this kind of impact. Basically 5000 passing yards, 25 TD's 4 rushing TD's and a 2/1 Int ratio two years running. Give him equal to better weapons than Washington and he's elite.
You lost me at Kirk Cousins being elite.
Don't get me wrong, he's had a couple of excellent seasons. But elite he isn't and elite he never shall be.
I just have this Jay Cutler feeling about him if we did rely on him long term, we'd wish every season for something better.
-
Per Schefter this morning, the Redskins have actually had several trade offers for Cousins and the Redskins have turned them all down flat, saying that they are NOT going to trade Cousins.
If this is indeed the case, then the 49ers are back in the hunt for a QB at #2....despite the fact that it seems that they have Brian Hoyer locked up...and will give him a chance to start.
I read that as: You have a chance to start....as a "Bridge" QB until the guy we draft is ready to go.
Anyone else see that?
Two Cleveland area guys on the roster of the 49ers...which, of course is owned by Youngstown guys.
-
Cousins has basically begged them to trade him according to Schefter.
He leaves for nothing next year if they don't. . .they've got a decision to make
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login