Skip to content

Camp My Homies

The Browns Board
32 16 1.5k
  • We have about 20 needs ranked above "raw, developmental QB"

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #4

    @mld-woody said:

    We have about 20 needs ranked above "raw, developmental QB"

    ^^^This.

    @calfoxwc said:

    The hardest one to fill is... qb that gets it. That -has- it.

    Scrambles with the best of them. Mechanics are a mess. Debatable if they can be fixed.

  • E ElkDawg wrote on last edited by
    #5

    I'll take Mahomes ll all day long over the other rookies. Kosar (remember him)? Had horrid mechanics too. It can be done

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by
    #6

    The QB debacle is in full swing, and nobody knows how it will play out. Regardless of what our front office says, they are still reeling from the Wentz trade. Yes, I realize Wentz didn't have a good statistical year, and his last 10 games or so were pretty damn bad, but when you look at who he had to throw to, his running game, and the fact he was a rookie from a tiny school, I think many people would say he has the look of a quality QB. This really hurts our team because we obviously can't afford to miss out on a guy now, and I'm worried that our missing out on Wentz will affect how we draft this year. At pick #12, there's no guarantee the QB we like will be there. Problem is, it doesn't APPEAR that any of these QB's will be ready to start day 1, so we'd potentially be drafting a player at #1 that won't even PLAY. What a mind screw.

  • I'll take Mahomes ll all day long over the other rookies. Kosar (remember him)? Had horrid mechanics too. It can be done

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @elkdawg said:

    I'll take Mahomes ll all day long over the other rookies. Kosar (remember him)? Had horrid mechanics too. It can be done

    Bernie also had it between the ears.

    I've seen no evidence of Patrick being on that level.

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
    #8

    Someone who doesn't have an NFL arm and whose only Plus skill is scrambling? We've never seen that in a Browns jersey! Where do I sign?

  • Mr. Make-BelieveM Mr. Make-Believe wrote on last edited by
    #9

    Pretty much. Zero interest from this fan.

  • Someone who doesn't have an NFL arm and whose only Plus skill is scrambling? We've never seen that in a Browns jersey! Where do I sign?

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @unsympathetic said:

    Someone who doesn't have an NFL arm and whose only Plus skill is scrambling? We've never seen that in a Browns jersey! Where do I sign?

    If you think his arm is sub-par then you haven't watched him at all. Plenty of other things to be concerned about but even with his horrible mechanics he can throw from anywhere (and on any footing) to anywhere on the field.

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by jiggins7919
    #11

    Anyone that says Manziel didn't have an NFL arm is crazy. His arm was plenty strong, and just about all of use problems reside between the ears. The truly said thing about Manziel was that he appeared to be getting just a little comfortable towards the end of his playing days. He was moving the ball, hitting receivers, and not putting himself in jeopardy. I'm not saying he was "terrific" or anything, but he was making legit progress. If that progress were to continue into the next year, there's really no telling where he could've ended up on the talent spectrum. Laugh all you want, but I think he was starting to get it on the field. As we all know, that's never enough. Although he did show improvement, he didn't score enough touchdowns. He couldn't convert when we needed it, and he obviously couldn't control his self-destructive behavior. As I've said before, the extremely sad aspect to Manziel was that Hue Jackson would've been great for his QB development. Manziel does a lot of what Hue likes on the field. He attacks the middle, can throw off the run, isn't afraid to run a read-option, and can throw it deep. He would've been excellent in Hue's offense, and that's just another tragedy in a long line of other ones we don't need to talk about.

    Mahomes doesn't just have an "OK arm", he actually has a pretty LIVE arm. He isn't without a myriad of issues, but I don't think arm strength is one of them. I wouldn't be upset if Browns took this kid (sometime AFTER #1 of course), but if we do select him, we better have another veteran coming in because he doesn't appear to be CLOSE to being NFL starter ready, and he's basically indicated as much. Mahomes recently stated that he's ready to be coached, and knows he has things to work on. From what I've read, he's solid gold off the field, and he's not going to have any skeletons. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Mahomes quickly becomes the darling of the draft, much as Wentz was last year.

    Edit: The more I think about it, the more I'd be comfortable with drafting Mahomes and naming Kessler as the starter. Kessler had some decent moments last year, and if the guy had a kicker and a damn defense, I think he would've won a couple more games. How will Kessler look with an entire NFL offseason under his belt? A year in the weight room and throwing the rock? An offseason named our starter which enables him to take all the minicamp and OTA reps? Start Kessler out of the gates, work with Mahomes, and also see how Hogan develops? I wouldn't hate it one bit. It's a risk, but why not? Maybe cut Hogan and just keep RG III? He's cheap enough. I dunno...just thinking out loud.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #12

    Sign me up for Mahomes at 33.

  • Sign me up for Mahomes at 33.

    D DKAllDay wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @gftchris said:

    Sign me up for Mahomes at 33.

    I'd love that, but he won't make it that far

    The only scenario he doesn't go in the first round is if no QB's go in the top 10. However, if we or Chicago take a QB high, the rest of them are going to go fast, and Mahomes will be easily gone in the first.

    At least that's how I see it.

  • @gftchris said:

    Sign me up for Mahomes at 33.

    I'd love that, but he won't make it that far

    The only scenario he doesn't go in the first round is if no QB's go in the top 10. However, if we or Chicago take a QB high, the rest of them are going to go fast, and Mahomes will be easily gone in the first.

    At least that's how I see it.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #14

    Mitch2Pryor said:

    I'd love that, but he won't make it that far

    The only scenario he doesn't go in the first round is if no QB's go in the top 10. However, if we or Chicago take a QB high, the rest of them are going to go fast, and Mahomes will be easily gone in the first.

    At least that's how I see it.

    Four QBs in the first round? I'd say...50/50. When I say 33, I could also be happy throwing in a fourth rounder and moving up into the back end of the first (fifth year option fifth year option fifth year option fifth year option fifth year option)

  • L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #15

    Live arm poor mechanics sounds like Kapernick...

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #16

    poor brain mechanics, too....

    btw, I am still all in on Trubisky, but taking him at the top of the draft seems

    silly.

    And, sorry, forgot to give Flugels credit for the "my homies" thing - it was really funny

    the first time he mentioned it to me.

  • poor brain mechanics, too....

    btw, I am still all in on Trubisky, but taking him at the top of the draft seems

    silly.

    And, sorry, forgot to give Flugels credit for the "my homies" thing - it was really funny

    the first time he mentioned it to me.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @calfoxwc said:

    And, sorry, forgot to give Flugels credit for the "my homies" thing - it was really funny the first time he mentioned it to me.

    Too late... damage has been done... you've been flagged and removed from the Browns' Big Board due to "Character Issues".

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #18

    dammit. I could have used a million dollar signing bonus, too. I was going

    to buy a nice cabin on a lake in Kentucky...

  • Mitch2Pryor said:

    I'd love that, but he won't make it that far

    The only scenario he doesn't go in the first round is if no QB's go in the top 10. However, if we or Chicago take a QB high, the rest of them are going to go fast, and Mahomes will be easily gone in the first.

    At least that's how I see it.

    Four QBs in the first round? I'd say...50/50. When I say 33, I could also be happy throwing in a fourth rounder and moving up into the back end of the first (fifth year option fifth year option fifth year option fifth year option fifth year option)

    D DKAllDay wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @gftchris said:

    Four QBs in the first round? I'd say...50/50. When I say 33, I could also be happy throwing in a fourth rounder and moving up into the back end of the first (fifth year option fifth year option fifth year option fifth year option fifth year option)

    I don't think it's a sure thing that he's going to go #4 at QB.

    It's really a crapshoot with regards to the order these QB's could go in. A lot still has to be solidified.

    Any of the four could be the first QB to go, or the last. They all have tremendous upside, paired with terrifying negatives.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #20

    To be honest I'm OK with any of them at 33.

  • Anyone that says Manziel didn't have an NFL arm is crazy. His arm was plenty strong, and just about all of use problems reside between the ears. The truly said thing about Manziel was that he appeared to be getting just a little comfortable towards the end of his playing days. He was moving the ball, hitting receivers, and not putting himself in jeopardy. I'm not saying he was "terrific" or anything, but he was making legit progress. If that progress were to continue into the next year, there's really no telling where he could've ended up on the talent spectrum. Laugh all you want, but I think he was starting to get it on the field. As we all know, that's never enough. Although he did show improvement, he didn't score enough touchdowns. He couldn't convert when we needed it, and he obviously couldn't control his self-destructive behavior. As I've said before, the extremely sad aspect to Manziel was that Hue Jackson would've been great for his QB development. Manziel does a lot of what Hue likes on the field. He attacks the middle, can throw off the run, isn't afraid to run a read-option, and can throw it deep. He would've been excellent in Hue's offense, and that's just another tragedy in a long line of other ones we don't need to talk about.

    Mahomes doesn't just have an "OK arm", he actually has a pretty LIVE arm. He isn't without a myriad of issues, but I don't think arm strength is one of them. I wouldn't be upset if Browns took this kid (sometime AFTER #1 of course), but if we do select him, we better have another veteran coming in because he doesn't appear to be CLOSE to being NFL starter ready, and he's basically indicated as much. Mahomes recently stated that he's ready to be coached, and knows he has things to work on. From what I've read, he's solid gold off the field, and he's not going to have any skeletons. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Mahomes quickly becomes the darling of the draft, much as Wentz was last year.

    Edit: The more I think about it, the more I'd be comfortable with drafting Mahomes and naming Kessler as the starter. Kessler had some decent moments last year, and if the guy had a kicker and a damn defense, I think he would've won a couple more games. How will Kessler look with an entire NFL offseason under his belt? A year in the weight room and throwing the rock? An offseason named our starter which enables him to take all the minicamp and OTA reps? Start Kessler out of the gates, work with Mahomes, and also see how Hogan develops? I wouldn't hate it one bit. It's a risk, but why not? Maybe cut Hogan and just keep RG III? He's cheap enough. I dunno...just thinking out loud.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Edit: The more I think about it, the more I'd be comfortable with drafting Mahomes and naming Kessler as the starter. Kessler had some decent moments last year, and if the guy had a kicker and a damn defense, I think he would've won a couple more games. How will Kessler look with an entire NFL offseason under his belt? A year in the weight room and throwing the rock? An offseason named our starter which enables him to take all the minicamp and OTA reps? Start Kessler out of the gates, work with Mahomes, and also see how Hogan develops? I wouldn't hate it one bit. It's a risk, but why not? Maybe cut Hogan and just keep RG III? He's cheap enough. I dunno...just thinking out loud.

    No sense keeping Griffin around as a backup. He's either our bridge starter, or he's gone. My bet is gone- regardless.

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    Edit: The more I think about it, the more I'd be comfortable with drafting Mahomes and naming Kessler as the starter. Kessler had some decent moments last year, and if the guy had a kicker and a damn defense, I think he would've won a couple more games. How will Kessler look with an entire NFL offseason under his belt? A year in the weight room and throwing the rock? An offseason named our starter which enables him to take all the minicamp and OTA reps? Start Kessler out of the gates, work with Mahomes, and also see how Hogan develops? I wouldn't hate it one bit. It's a risk, but why not? Maybe cut Hogan and just keep RG III? He's cheap enough. I dunno...just thinking out loud.

    No sense keeping Griffin around as a backup. He's either our bridge starter, or he's gone. My bet is gone- regardless.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @hoorta said:

    No sense keeping Griffin around as a backup. He's either our bridge starter, or he's gone. My bet is gone- regardless.

    I think he's either out and out starter and we don't draft a guy, or he's gone. We need someone to not fuck us up in games and let the team grow, that's Kessler for a year.

  • @hoorta said:

    No sense keeping Griffin around as a backup. He's either our bridge starter, or he's gone. My bet is gone- regardless.

    I think he's either out and out starter and we don't draft a guy, or he's gone. We need someone to not fuck us up in games and let the team grow, that's Kessler for a year.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @gftchris said:

    I think he's either out and out starter and we don't draft a guy, or he's gone. We need someone to not fuck us up in games and let the team grow, that's Kessler for a year.

    They WILL draft a QB. Whether that is at the top...or somewhere down the line, they will pick up somebody.