Skip to content

Garrett and Hooker. Why not?

The Browns Board
76 20 2.1k
  • #4Jags,#7SDSaints all looking Safety. Mayock has Hooker #1 S..Go/ne Bucks Go/ne.imo.It would be awesome if he slips to us..right football gods? 😍 Adams & Hooker have had flip-able, side by side prospect rankings since Hooker announced..

  • @unsympathetic said:

    Show verified source [eg, including proof] or this is BS. Someone else "saying" it isn't a source.

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2652678-why-myles-garrett-is-a-better-nfl-draft-prospect-than-jadeveon-clowney

    This has Garrett the more athletic of the two based on 40, broad and vertical. 3 cone drill and shuttle will be a good comparison also.

    @gftchris said:

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2652678-why-myles-garrett-is-a-better-nfl-draft-prospect-than-jadeveon-clowney

    This has Garrett the more athletic of the two based on 40, broad and vertical. 3 cone drill and shuttle will be a good comparison also.

    While that article has some truths its also a blowjob piece to young myles. He's not the absolute best prospect to come out in a decade. He does some things the others couldnt but he by no means sheds tackles better than mack did let alone bosa. I know he's not the same type of DE that those two guys were but pls, the ability to shed huge tackles effortlessly is a "premium" in my eyes. I value that over pure edge rush. For my money mack and bosa were the two d to the o to the double g's we missed out on. And both "promptly" exhibited that skill set in the nfl. Bosa made a run tackle by shedding donald penn in his very first game as a pro, penn being arguably a very close 2nd to tyrone smith as the nfl's best left tackle. Both men are gargantuan. And wr know mack was DROY too and was recognized as a top 5 run stopper in the league as a rookie.

    Point is garett has deficiencies the browns have to work on if they draft him. Allen is mire plug in right now but mayne doesnt have the same stupid ceiling garett has.

  • The way you guys just love all Buckeyes is just to much. Some of you really think if we draft all Buckeyes it would change everything. Get over it

  • The way you guys just love all Buckeyes is just to much. Some of you really think if we draft all Buckeyes it would change everything. Get over it

    @medicineman said:

    The way you guys just love all Buckeyes is just to much. Some of you really think if we draft all Buckeyes it would change everything. Get over it

    Well ur talking about a team that is now a perennial powerhouse again. So ofc players from that team ate going to be titties. Would u have gated us drafting bosa or elliot last year? Look at what they did. Ive also got eyes on michigan players like peopers, coincidence that now they're playing better cause they recruited better players?

    Sorry i like proven talent, sue me

  • When was the last time this team had a guy who could get double-digit sacks and pressure the QB? Or a dude in the secondary who could take picks to the house. Garrett and Hooker together would balance the D.

  • I certainly would not have problems getting some of those OSUers any more than I would some of those Bamers. When you start with the best they often stay the best under good coaching.

  • I have no problem about who people say we should draft but it seems like it is ALWAYS DRAFT this buckeye or that Buckeye. I feel bad for any player that gets picked by our team, New coach every other year and new system how can they expect anybody to "get it"? A new coach will come in and not want guys that some other coach brought in. It is a fucking joke.

  • Who cares where someone played? Talent is talent. Garrett and Hooker have crazy talent.

  • I have no problem about who people say we should draft but it seems like it is ALWAYS DRAFT this buckeye or that Buckeye. I feel bad for any player that gets picked by our team, New coach every other year and new system how can they expect anybody to "get it"? A new coach will come in and not want guys that some other coach brought in. It is a fucking joke.

    @medicineman said:

    I have no problem about who people say we should draft but it seems like it is ALWAYS DRAFT this buckeye or that Buckeye. I feel bad for any player that gets picked by our team, New coach every other year and new system how can they expect anybody to "get it"? A new coach will come in and not want guys that some other coach brought in. It is a fucking joke.

    Ya know, sometimes when the O-H-I-O meds just are not working for me..I turn to a good clean Hooker!^^Here's your sign & 100 bucks..(just hit print) 😎

  • Mitch and Leo for me.

    Though I wouldn't hate Garrett and Hooker.

  • I've been on the Garrett and Hooker train for a while now, but I think it will involve trading up into the top 7 or so.

  • I've been on the Garrett and Hooker train for a while now, but I think it will involve trading up into the top 7 or so.

    @gftchris said:

    I've been on the Garrett and Hooker train for a while now, but I think it will involve trading up into the top 7 or so.

    Whatever it takes. Having the best D in this division would be cool as fuck.

  • @gftchris said:

    I've been on the Garrett and Hooker train for a while now, but I think it will involve trading up into the top 7 or so.

    Whatever it takes. Having the best D in this division would be cool as fuck.

    @skippinturtles said:

    Whatever it takes. Having the best D in this division would be cool as fuck.

    "Whatever it takes" is stupid, but if the price is right then absolutely.

  • I didn't read the first page of responses, but the title asks, "Why not?" Other than the fact that Hooker is likely to be gone, the main problem with these picks is they don't address the QB position. I don't see us moving up in the draft, as that goes strongly against our analytics approach, so if we take defense-defense with our two first rounders, it's going to be slim pickens' for QB's in the second round (I should say, SLIMMER pickens').

    Hooker is the player that recently had two surgeries, correct? Labrum and hernia? The hernia doesn't scare me, but the torn labrum is something I had surgery for, and it took me A WHILE to recover from it. Now, I'm the furthest thing from an NFL player, and I'm quite sure I didn't have world-class medical care, but you get the point. If the surgeries are successful, and Hooker gets a clean bill of health, I wouldn't have an issue with the two picks. I guess it's possible the surgeries cause Hooker to slide a bit, so maybe he WILL be available at 12. The only issue is, "Who the hell do we get to play the most important position in sports?"

    It's the NFL silly season, we all know this. We're going to hear all kinds of crazy stuff for the next couple months, and only a sliver of it will be remotely true. Do we try and sign somebody like Tyrod and use him as a bridge until we find our "franchise guy"? Could Hue Jackson further develop Tyrod and make him the player we need? What about a crazy three-team trade for somebody like Alex Smith? Dallas trades Romo to Chiefs, Chiefs send Alex Smith to Cleveland, and we send out some assets? Don't get me wrong, I don't think Alex Smith is Tom Brady 2.0, but I would sure as hell take him.

    I would love to have Hooker and Garrett, especially if we can get our QB some way. Right now, I want Jimmy Garoppolo. Possibly we strike a deal with Patriots involving a second round pick, a 4th, and maybe Josh Gordon? Like I said, it's the silly season. What I DO know is, Garrett and Hooker BOTH fill giant holes on our beloved team, and if we get them AND our QB in one offseason...well...we might just finally be on our way to creating a winner. (ok, stop laughing, assholes).

  • I didn't read the first page of responses, but the title asks, "Why not?" Other than the fact that Hooker is likely to be gone, the main problem with these picks is they don't address the QB position. I don't see us moving up in the draft, as that goes strongly against our analytics approach, so if we take defense-defense with our two first rounders, it's going to be slim pickens' for QB's in the second round (I should say, SLIMMER pickens').

    Hooker is the player that recently had two surgeries, correct? Labrum and hernia? The hernia doesn't scare me, but the torn labrum is something I had surgery for, and it took me A WHILE to recover from it. Now, I'm the furthest thing from an NFL player, and I'm quite sure I didn't have world-class medical care, but you get the point. If the surgeries are successful, and Hooker gets a clean bill of health, I wouldn't have an issue with the two picks. I guess it's possible the surgeries cause Hooker to slide a bit, so maybe he WILL be available at 12. The only issue is, "Who the hell do we get to play the most important position in sports?"

    It's the NFL silly season, we all know this. We're going to hear all kinds of crazy stuff for the next couple months, and only a sliver of it will be remotely true. Do we try and sign somebody like Tyrod and use him as a bridge until we find our "franchise guy"? Could Hue Jackson further develop Tyrod and make him the player we need? What about a crazy three-team trade for somebody like Alex Smith? Dallas trades Romo to Chiefs, Chiefs send Alex Smith to Cleveland, and we send out some assets? Don't get me wrong, I don't think Alex Smith is Tom Brady 2.0, but I would sure as hell take him.

    I would love to have Hooker and Garrett, especially if we can get our QB some way. Right now, I want Jimmy Garoppolo. Possibly we strike a deal with Patriots involving a second round pick, a 4th, and maybe Josh Gordon? Like I said, it's the silly season. What I DO know is, Garrett and Hooker BOTH fill giant holes on our beloved team, and if we get them AND our QB in one offseason...well...we might just finally be on our way to creating a winner. (ok, stop laughing, assholes).

    @jiggins7919 said:

    so maybe he WILL be available at 12. The only issue is, "Who the hell do we get to play the most important position in sports?"

    Do we try and sign somebody like Tyrod and use him as a bridge until we find our "franchise guy"? Could Hue Jackson further develop Tyrod and make him the player we need?

    Right now, I want Jimmy Garoppolo. Possibly we strike a deal with Patriots involving a second round pick, a 4th, and maybe Josh Gordon? .

    just a opinion but I believe Option 1 is Tyrod. Than at #12 draft his same player skills & better size in QB Watson with a better deep ball imo. Option 2 is JG, but only as a Rd.2 value & a comp. pick. RG3 is out in Option 1, not so much in Opt.2

  • When was the last time this team had a guy who could get double-digit sacks and pressure the QB? Or a dude in the secondary who could take picks to the house. Garrett and Hooker together would balance the D.

    @skippinturtles said:

    When was the last time this team had a guy who could get double-digit sacks and pressure the QB? Or a dude in the secondary who could take picks to the house. Garrett and Hooker together would balance the D.

    Forgetting that Gilbert took one to the house vs Indy? Maybe the comparison was valid... 😉

  • My first choice is Garoppolo, using a combination of picks OUTSIDE our first rounders. If a deal can't be struck, my #2 scenario would be to sign Tyrod Taylor and draft Watson at #12. We don't have ANY clue if Watson will even be there, but whatever. We might get a better idea after the combine and pro days play out, but I doubt it. Just takes one team to fall completely in love with a player, and then #12 seems very far away indeed. It should be noted that Watson recently declared he will participate in "every single category of the combine". I thought this was a smart move, considering I thought he screwed the pooch by not playing in the Senior Bowl (even after the Browns ASKED him to play).

  • When was the last time this team had a guy who could get double-digit sacks and pressure the QB? Or a dude in the secondary who could take picks to the house. Garrett and Hooker together would balance the D.

    @skippinturtles said:

    When was the last time this team had a guy who could get double-digit sacks and pressure the QB? Or a dude in the secondary who could take picks to the house. Garrett and Hooker together would balance the D.

    We don't know that either of those guys can actually do those things. ...in the pros. Every player the Browns have ever drafted we thought perhaps they were the greatest thing since sliced bananas.....but they turn out to be just banana slugs.

    Yes...it is a pessimistic approach....have you seen the Browns draft history?

  • @gftchris said:

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2652678-why-myles-garrett-is-a-better-nfl-draft-prospect-than-jadeveon-clowney

    This has Garrett the more athletic of the two based on 40, broad and vertical. 3 cone drill and shuttle will be a good comparison also.

    While that article has some truths its also a blowjob piece to young myles. He's not the absolute best prospect to come out in a decade. He does some things the others couldnt but he by no means sheds tackles better than mack did let alone bosa. I know he's not the same type of DE that those two guys were but pls, the ability to shed huge tackles effortlessly is a "premium" in my eyes. I value that over pure edge rush. For my money mack and bosa were the two d to the o to the double g's we missed out on. And both "promptly" exhibited that skill set in the nfl. Bosa made a run tackle by shedding donald penn in his very first game as a pro, penn being arguably a very close 2nd to tyrone smith as the nfl's best left tackle. Both men are gargantuan. And wr know mack was DROY too and was recognized as a top 5 run stopper in the league as a rookie.

    Point is garett has deficiencies the browns have to work on if they draft him. Allen is mire plug in right now but mayne doesnt have the same stupid ceiling garett has.

    @clevfan4life said:

    While that article has some truths its also a blowjob piece to young myles.

    I don't care about the words they're using, just the numbers they're citing, that's what I was showing you.

  • @gftchris said:

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2652678-why-myles-garrett-is-a-better-nfl-draft-prospect-than-jadeveon-clowney

    This has Garrett the more athletic of the two based on 40, broad and vertical. 3 cone drill and shuttle will be a good comparison also.

    While that article has some truths its also a blowjob piece to young myles. He's not the absolute best prospect to come out in a decade. He does some things the others couldnt but he by no means sheds tackles better than mack did let alone bosa. I know he's not the same type of DE that those two guys were but pls, the ability to shed huge tackles effortlessly is a "premium" in my eyes. I value that over pure edge rush. For my money mack and bosa were the two d to the o to the double g's we missed out on. And both "promptly" exhibited that skill set in the nfl. Bosa made a run tackle by shedding donald penn in his very first game as a pro, penn being arguably a very close 2nd to tyrone smith as the nfl's best left tackle. Both men are gargantuan. And wr know mack was DROY too and was recognized as a top 5 run stopper in the league as a rookie.

    Point is garett has deficiencies the browns have to work on if they draft him. Allen is mire plug in right now but mayne doesnt have the same stupid ceiling garett has.

    @clevfan4life said:

    the ability to shed huge tackles effortlessly is a "premium" in my eyes. I value that over pure edge rush.

    First it was "clowney is more athletic than garrett" and now you come up with the "Someone's better because I see them as better even though there is no metric" BS?

    Keep moving those goalposts.. eventually you'll come up with a point!