Skip to content

NJ's Boneless or Country Style Ribs with Sauerkraut

Barber Shop Talk
61 5 7.5k
  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @boo-fagley said:

    If youre ever in Chicago there is a great Polish store called Bobecks.

    They have everything. 20 kinds of kielbasa.

    Oh I loved to go to Chicago especially on business or seminars fabulous food.....but don't travel much now. But hey natural gas grill in backyard!

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @boo-fagley said:

    If youre ever in Chicago there is a great Polish store called Bobecks.

    They have everything. 20 kinds of kielbasa.

    Believe it or not I remembered something about that name, my sister-in-law lives nearby well I checked it out, due to family squabbling it's now closed.

    NOW CLOSED”

    4 of 5 bubblesReviewed April 22, 2015

    Having been a customer for several years and a patron of their restaurant before it closed, I was saddened to hear that the entire stoe is now closed as of April4, 2015. We really enjoyed going there.

    Visited March 2015

    https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g35805-d430286-r335069823-Bobak_s_Restaurant_and_Sausage_Company-Chicago_Illinois.html#

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #8

    @boo-fagley said:

    No charcoal?

    Oh I started young as boy scout and wood then as a charcoal purist, charcoal or nothing! Well got tired of that and went LP after years of that and running out twice during holiday get togethers I went to nat gas and never looked back.

    We get good ceramic briquettes clean or replace as necessary fire up and go, 12 months a year.

    I've been teaching the wife all my cookout tricks now she's good at it.

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #9

    On grills get the biggest surface you can fit in your setup to have room to move things around. We have a good size 3 burner nat gas with a big high dome, thermometer in the hood, upper and lower rack and side pullout flat shelves. You want plenty of room to move food around as necessary.

    It can handle a rotisserie BUT you still have to watch flare ups or out and out fires so we never put it in, basically cook on the flat surface. There are also plenty of accessories on the market.

    Bought it from a reputable dealer Youngstown Propane and they installed it for $25.

    Our first small nat gas grill we literally burned it out in no time.

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #10

    Oh talking with my wife on the kraut again, some people put brown sugar in it, some apples (why?) and others some other things like ketchup.....really?

    I'm more on the traditional side with mine but I like my onions, cooked down of course, but no caraway seeds.

    Now on pork roast and sauerkraut potatoes, carrots, onions are all good. πŸ™‚

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @boo-fagley said:

    Sounds like one of those Kamado dragon grilles only with gas.

    What we did was look for the cheapest grill in the top of the line grills....well when they brought it it wasn't what we ordered, I'll bet they ran out of that model and we got upgraded....nice!

    We've also done business with them before like our nat gas fireplace logs, later got the electric auto start upgrade.

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #12

    I prefer a charcoal grill to a gas grill any day. Can't beat the flavor of charcoal.

  • I prefer a charcoal grill to a gas grill any day. Can't beat the flavor of charcoal.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #13

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I prefer a charcoal grill to a gas grill any day. Can't beat the flavor of charcoal.

    We've used wood chips and other things but most of the grill taste comes from the dripping reburning back up on the meat or veggies.

    But most pro grillers use wood or charcoal.

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #14

    @boo-fagley said:

    Good deal.

    I was looking at some of those gas Webers tonight. Very well built.

    If you're just an occasional griller you might get by with discount grills but if you cook all summer or more it pays to go for quality like Weber or others.

    OH BTW we got two Weber grilling cookbooks as gifts the one was maybe the best information I've ever seen in one book, I'll have to dig it out, I think it was about 300 pages (+/-) on grilling almost anything.

    .....I just Googled real quick and saw 15 Weber grilling books, I'll have to dig mine out. (And we have to get our friends to cool it with the cookbooks! But they love to eat here.)

    I buy most all of my books used good to excellent condition on Amazon Prime. πŸ˜‰

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #15

    Oh we're having NY Strip steaks tonight on the grill, baked potatoes with sour cream and butter, grilled asparagus and I'll have a Sam Adams Boston Lager wife has wine. (steaks and asparagus on sale, potatoes basically "dirt" cheap)

    The grilling life. πŸ™‚

  • @boo-fagley said:

    Good deal.

    I was looking at some of those gas Webers tonight. Very well built.

    If you're just an occasional griller you might get by with discount grills but if you cook all summer or more it pays to go for quality like Weber or others.

    OH BTW we got two Weber grilling cookbooks as gifts the one was maybe the best information I've ever seen in one book, I'll have to dig it out, I think it was about 300 pages (+/-) on grilling almost anything.

    .....I just Googled real quick and saw 15 Weber grilling books, I'll have to dig mine out. (And we have to get our friends to cool it with the cookbooks! But they love to eat here.)

    I buy most all of my books used good to excellent condition on Amazon Prime. πŸ˜‰

    DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @mjp28 said:

    If you're just an occasional griller you might get by with discount grills but if you cook all summer or more it pays to go for quality like Weber or others.

    OH BTW we got two Weber grilling cookbooks as gifts the one was maybe the best information I've ever seen in one book, I'll have to dig it out, I think it was about 300 pages (+/-) on grilling almost anything.

    .....I just Googled real quick and saw 15 Weber grilling books, I'll have to dig mine out. (And we have to get our friends to cool it with the cookbooks! But they love to eat here.)

    I buy most all of my books used good to excellent condition on Amazon Prime. πŸ˜‰

    I bought a red weber kettle in Japan in 1980. When I left in 1982 I gave it too my father in law. His son (my brother in law) still has it and uses it.

  • Thanks! Have to give it a try.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #17

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Thanks! Have to give it a try.

    Hey the wife surprised me and brought home sauerkraut from the store, ooohhhh can't wait for my hot dogs and kraut.

    BTW any of you guys ever eaten REAL homemade sauerkraut? My grandmother, a cook and best cook I've ever known, used to make it out of our garden and cure it in a big wooden barrel in our old house fruit cellar.

    OMG was it tender and delicious never bitter, nothing like out of a can.

    One drawback someone had to take the weight off of the submerged wooden lid, sleeves rolled all the way up and put your hands way down in the barrel to grab a head or two of the cabbage.....

    .....WHEW STINK! Had to really scrub up afterwards but it was the most tender, delicious sauerkraut I've ever eaten. Sure miss those days.

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #18

    My grandma on my fathers side made sarma, or pigs in blanket. Kind of a stuffed cabbage, Croatian style. I'm pretty sure it was all homemade.

  • My grandma on my fathers side made sarma, or pigs in blanket. Kind of a stuffed cabbage, Croatian style. I'm pretty sure it was all homemade.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    My grandma on my fathers side made sarma, or pigs in blanket. Kind of a stuffed cabbage, Croatian style. I'm pretty sure it was all homemade.

    Oh yeah like at the old hunkie churches with the little old Bubbas making stuffed cabbage or perogies, I liked the sauerkraut & potato mix with onions browned in butter and some sour cream on top.....oh man!

    But REAL sauerkraut is a super good for you food, really it is.

    All too many people still see sauerkraut as an unhealthy and in some cases even a β€˜junk food’, mainly because it is often served with a hot dog. But this unsavory reputation has been changing in America and also in many other countries these past past several years. So what changed many people’s perception about sauerkraut, why has it become known as a very healthy food recently? Simple, it’s all about bacteria, beneficial bacteria to be more precise. Sauerkraut contains plenty of the lactobacillus bacteria, beneficial bacteria that improve the health and vitality of the small intestine in particular. Probiotic foods such as sauerkraut, yogurt, Kimchi and kefir are often recommended for people taking antibiotics, which indiscriminately destroy both the good as well as bad bacteria in the body, and the live-culture foods in particular can help restore healthy levels of the beneficial bacteria.

    Did you know that sauerkraut isn’t just loaded with beneficial bacteria, it is also a really good source of fiber, and it contains a wealth of vitamins like C as well as K, minerals like iron, as well as potassium as well as trace elements like zinc. Sauerkraut was once made in quantity and stored in large wooden barrels on those tall old sailing ships in the 18th century. On long ocean voyages, sailors consumed sauerkraut to help prevent a disease known as scurvy, caused by a deficiency of vitamin C.

    The other interesting feature worth knowing about sauerkraut is that because it is made using cabbage, it may help prevent breast and ovarian cancer by assisting in the proper metabolism of estradiol (E2), the strongest estrogen. I’ve found that the store-bought variety of sauerkraut can contain too much salt, another reason to make your own.

    - See more at: http://ericbakker.com/sauerkraut/#sthash.PmNehH99.dpuf

  • I prefer a charcoal grill to a gas grill any day. Can't beat the flavor of charcoal.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I prefer a charcoal grill to a gas grill any day. Can't beat the flavor of charcoal.

    True enough bud.

    Unfortunately gas grills don't get hot enough for a nice Sear.

    I bought the Joe Namath cooker, kind of like a commercial broiler that fires from the top and it does a steak like a mother fucker.

    WSS

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I prefer a charcoal grill to a gas grill any day. Can't beat the flavor of charcoal.

    True enough bud.

    Unfortunately gas grills don't get hot enough for a nice Sear.

    I bought the Joe Namath cooker, kind of like a commercial broiler that fires from the top and it does a steak like a mother fucker.

    WSS

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @westside-steve said:

    True enough bud.

    Unfortunately gas grills don't get hot enough for a nice Sear.

    I bought the Joe Namath cooker, kind of like a commercial broiler that fires from the top and it does a steak like a mother fucker.

    WSS

    True charcoal can be ideal but some gas grills are better than others, note some are ads, also check sites like CR:

    https://www.google.com/m?source=android-launcher-widget&q=gas+grill+reviews

    I still prefer them now and have for years now because we often grill-eat when my wife gets home from work or just when we feel like it including the dead of winter.

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I prefer a charcoal grill to a gas grill any day. Can't beat the flavor of charcoal.

    True enough bud.

    Unfortunately gas grills don't get hot enough for a nice Sear.

    I bought the Joe Namath cooker, kind of like a commercial broiler that fires from the top and it does a steak like a mother fucker.

    WSS

    DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @westside-steve said:

    True enough bud.

    Unfortunately gas grills don't get hot enough for a nice Sear.

    I bought the Joe Namath cooker, kind of like a commercial broiler that fires from the top and it does a steak like a mother fucker.

    WSS

    I looked it up. looks good. But my Obammy bucks EBT card won't cover it.

  • @boo-fagley said:

    Good deal.

    I was looking at some of those gas Webers tonight. Very well built.

    If you're just an occasional griller you might get by with discount grills but if you cook all summer or more it pays to go for quality like Weber or others.

    OH BTW we got two Weber grilling cookbooks as gifts the one was maybe the best information I've ever seen in one book, I'll have to dig it out, I think it was about 300 pages (+/-) on grilling almost anything.

    .....I just Googled real quick and saw 15 Weber grilling books, I'll have to dig mine out. (And we have to get our friends to cool it with the cookbooks! But they love to eat here.)

    I buy most all of my books used good to excellent condition on Amazon Prime. πŸ˜‰

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #23

    @mjp28 said:

    If you're just an occasional griller you might get by with discount grills but if you cook all summer or more it pays to go for quality like Weber or others.

    OH BTW we got two Weber grilling cookbooks as gifts the one was maybe the best information I've ever seen in one book, I'll have to dig it out, I think it was about 300 pages (+/-) on grilling almost anything.

    .....I just Googled real quick and saw 15 Weber grilling books, I'll have to dig mine out. (And we have to get our friends to cool it with the cookbooks! But they love to eat here.)

    I buy most all of my books used good to excellent condition on Amazon Prime. πŸ˜‰

    Oh I looked up my two original WEBER'S cookbooks, one big hardback and the same in a big heavy paperback c. 2005, WEBER'S REAL GRILLING by Jamie Purviance , 304 pages.

    Good reading and cooking. πŸ™‚

  • Oh talking with my wife on the kraut again, some people put brown sugar in it, some apples (why?) and others some other things like ketchup.....really?

    I'm more on the traditional side with mine but I like my onions, cooked down of course, but no caraway seeds.

    Now on pork roast and sauerkraut potatoes, carrots, onions are all good. πŸ™‚

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @mjp28 said:

    Oh talking with my wife on the kraut again, some people put brown sugar in it, some apples (why?) and others some other things like ketchup.....really?

    I'm more on the traditional side with mine but I like my onions, cooked down of course, but no caraway seeds.

    Now on pork roast and sauerkraut potatoes, carrots, onions are all good. πŸ™‚

    Anyone try out any sauerkraut dishes lately? I'm curious to know how they turned out.

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by DieHardBrownsFan
    #25

    Were having kielbasa (fresh/easter kielbasa) with saurkraut, pierogi's and some kind of vegetable tomorrow. First sear the kielbasa, the put in a baking dish with the drained and rinsed saurkraut with some kind of seasoning (not sure what she uses) bake until done.

    Oh yea, onions are mixed with the kraut I know that for sure.