Skip to content

OK, just announce we're taking Garrett....

The Browns Board
353 42 9.4k
  • @the-gipper said:

    Oh god no not again. We need to stockpile elite talent, trading down never works for us. Trading down cost is mack and bosa.....just contemplate for a moment either of those two, or both (delirious thoughts), being on the browns?

    @clevfan4life said:

    Oh god no not again. We need to stockpile elite talent, trading down never works for us. Trading down cost is mack and bosa.....just contemplate for a moment either of those two, or both (delirious thoughts), being on the browns?

    Bosa was gone we never had a chance of getting him

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Got it, so we shouldn't take a QB at #1 because, as you've pointed out, none of them are surefire Hall of Famers. We can just grab one at #12 or later, since it's at best a 50/50 shot anyway.

    Glad to see you jumped over to the logical camp.

    Again....you are either being completely moronic...or simply perverse. EVERY position you take.....QB, DE, OT, ....is a risk. So we should not take a DE either....by YOUR logic.

    Half the QBs were flops, half the OTs were flops, half the DEs were flops.

    So....maybe we should just trade down.

    I am still not necessarily opposed to doing a trade down: #1 to the Tits for #5 and #18?

    @the-gipper said:

    Again....you are either being completely moronic...or simply perverse. EVERY position you take.....QB, DE, OT, ....is a risk. So we should not take a DE either....by YOUR logic.

    Half the QBs were flops, half the OTs were flops, half the DEs were flops.

    So....maybe we should just trade down.

    I am still not necessarily opposed to doing a trade down: #1 to the Tits for #5 and #18?

    If the odds are 50/50 regardless of position, why would you not take the highest rated player regardless of position?

  • @the-gipper said:

    Again....you are either being completely moronic...or simply perverse. EVERY position you take.....QB, DE, OT, ....is a risk. So we should not take a DE either....by YOUR logic.

    Half the QBs were flops, half the OTs were flops, half the DEs were flops.

    So....maybe we should just trade down.

    I am still not necessarily opposed to doing a trade down: #1 to the Tits for #5 and #18?

    If the odds are 50/50 regardless of position, why would you not take the highest rated player regardless of position?

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    If the odds are 50/50 regardless of position, why would you not take the highest rated player regardless of position?

    Because this is the Browns. It's what they do....................................Q the chainsaw ad (Are you crazy, not the running car!).

  • @clevfan4life said:

    Oh god no not again. We need to stockpile elite talent, trading down never works for us. Trading down cost is mack and bosa.....just contemplate for a moment either of those two, or both (delirious thoughts), being on the browns?

    Bosa was gone we never had a chance of getting him

    @londonbrown said:

    Bosa was gone we never had a chance of getting him

    Not true. The Browns had the #2 pick. Could have picked him. They traded #2 to the Eagles. Then SD took Bosa with pick #3.

    Yes, they could have had Bosa with pick #2...which IS what I wanted.

  • @londonbrown said:

    Bosa was gone we never had a chance of getting him

    Not true. The Browns had the #2 pick. Could have picked him. They traded #2 to the Eagles. Then SD took Bosa with pick #3.

    Yes, they could have had Bosa with pick #2...which IS what I wanted.

    @the-gipper said:

    Not true. The Browns had the #2 pick. Could have picked him. They traded #2 to the Eagles. Then SD took Bosa with pick #3.

    Yes, they could have had Bosa with pick #2...which IS what I wanted.

    Assumed he meant on draft night.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Again....you are either being completely moronic...or simply perverse. EVERY position you take.....QB, DE, OT, ....is a risk. So we should not take a DE either....by YOUR logic.

    Half the QBs were flops, half the OTs were flops, half the DEs were flops.

    So....maybe we should just trade down.

    I am still not necessarily opposed to doing a trade down: #1 to the Tits for #5 and #18?

    If the odds are 50/50 regardless of position, why would you not take the highest rated player regardless of position?

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    If the odds are 50/50 regardless of position, why would you not take the highest rated player regardless of position?

    Well, that is one approach....but it is an approach that is not often followed. Perhaps there have been years when the highest rated player was an OG, or an OC, or a DB, or a TE

    But, in the history of the NFL ..and AFL draft since 1936:

    A. NO OG has ever been taken #1.

    B. 1 OC was: Ki Aldrich in 1939,

    C. 1 DB was: Gary Glick in 1956.

    D. 1 TE was: Billy Cannon 1960

    E. 3 DTs

    F. 4 OTs

    G. 5 WRs

    H. 11 DEs

    I. 22 RBs (none since 1995...Kijana Carter was the last)

    J. 34 QBs

    So, obviously, the QB position is considered the most critical....and over 3 times as many QBs than DEs have been taken #1.

    If there IS a reason to go against the "best rated player" it is to get a QB.

    You can believe in that philosophy or not...but the fact is whether YOU do or don't....NFL teams do.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Not true. The Browns had the #2 pick. Could have picked him. They traded #2 to the Eagles. Then SD took Bosa with pick #3.

    Yes, they could have had Bosa with pick #2...which IS what I wanted.

    Assumed he meant on draft night.

    @londonbrown said:

    Assumed he meant on draft night.

    Not sure why that matters. On draft night they had the 15th pick. And they made the trade only a day or two earlier, no?

    Point is...unlike what TCPO advocates the Browns did NOT elect to select the highest rated player when they basically had to chance to do so.

    If I recall correctly, Bosa's "rating/grade" was much higher essentially than either of the QBs.

    I mean, it is hindsight, but we should have gone for the DE last year (as I think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett), and we shoulda gone QB this year.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Not true. The Browns had the #2 pick. Could have picked him. They traded #2 to the Eagles. Then SD took Bosa with pick #3.

    Yes, they could have had Bosa with pick #2...which IS what I wanted.

    Assumed he meant on draft night.

    @londonbrown said:

    Assumed he meant on draft night.

    no i was talking about dollar beer night

  • @londonbrown said:

    Assumed he meant on draft night.

    Not sure why that matters. On draft night they had the 15th pick. And they made the trade only a day or two earlier, no?

    Point is...unlike what TCPO advocates the Browns did NOT elect to select the highest rated player when they basically had to chance to do so.

    If I recall correctly, Bosa's "rating/grade" was much higher essentially than either of the QBs.

    I mean, it is hindsight, but we should have gone for the DE last year (as I think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett), and we shoulda gone QB this year.

    @the-gipper said:

    I mean, it is hindsight, but we should have gone for the DE last year (as I think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett), and we shoulda gone QB this year.

    ikr? sigh. If only we had gotten Marrone or another 4-3 guy instead of Horton. I believe the belief in Berea that Bosa was not suited to the 3-4 was the reason they balked on him. But then again Pettine Balked on Mack who might could very well be in the hall of fame at 3 different positions by the time it's his turn. Why he wasn't seen as a fit for the 3-4 is beyond me too. Only in Cleveland.

  • @londonbrown said:

    Assumed he meant on draft night.

    no i was talking about dollar beer night

    @clevfan4life said:

    no i was talking about dollar beer night

    ah.... draught nite...

  • So can any of you unbiased A&M (oxymoron?) 😉 guys give your honest thoughts on Garrett being the next Khalil Mack vs the next Mingo? I haven't seen him play a snap, but hearing things from some of the 'experts' in the media (oxymoron?) about him disappearing against top talent has me concerned.

    Just looking for someone who has watched him play multiple games and can give an honest good vs bad scouting opinion, as well as your overall prediction, whether he's a Brown or not.

  • Every draft pick is risk/reward but some are risky than others. Trubisky is a big risk at #1

  • @londonbrown said:

    Assumed he meant on draft night.

    Not sure why that matters. On draft night they had the 15th pick. And they made the trade only a day or two earlier, no?

    Point is...unlike what TCPO advocates the Browns did NOT elect to select the highest rated player when they basically had to chance to do so.

    If I recall correctly, Bosa's "rating/grade" was much higher essentially than either of the QBs.

    I mean, it is hindsight, but we should have gone for the DE last year (as I think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett), and we shoulda gone QB this year.

    @the-gipper said:

    Not sure why that matters. On draft night they had the 15th pick. And they made the trade only a day or two earlier, no?

    Point is...unlike what TCPO advocates the Browns did NOT elect to select the highest rated player when they basically had to chance to do so.

    If I recall correctly, Bosa's "rating/grade" was much higher essentially than either of the QBs.

    I mean, it is hindsight, but we should have gone for the DE last year (as I think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett), and we shoulda gone QB this year.

    So you think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett, despite the fact that Garrett's prospect score is higher?

    But I thought the NFL prospect score was all that matters...

  • So can any of you unbiased A&M (oxymoron?) 😉 guys give your honest thoughts on Garrett being the next Khalil Mack vs the next Mingo? I haven't seen him play a snap, but hearing things from some of the 'experts' in the media (oxymoron?) about him disappearing against top talent has me concerned.

    Just looking for someone who has watched him play multiple games and can give an honest good vs bad scouting opinion, as well as your overall prediction, whether he's a Brown or not.

    @d-bone said:

    So can any of you unbiased A&M (oxymoron?) 😉 guys give your honest thoughts on Garrett being the next Khalil Mack vs the next Mingo? I haven't seen him play a snap, but hearing things from some of the 'experts' in the media (oxymoron?) about him disappearing against top talent has me concerned.

    Just looking for someone who has watched him play multiple games and can give an honest good vs bad scouting opinion, as well as your overall prediction, whether he's a Brown or not.

    I only watched 3 A&M games last year, and the guy is strong and athletic as hell.

    But just because you're good in college, doesn't always carry over into the NFL.

    If the Browns go defense on the first pick I hope it's Garrett.

    I just hope he doesn't turn into another FRAB (First Round Aggie Bust).

  • @clevfan4life said:

    no i was talking about dollar beer night

    ah.... draught nite...

    @tour2ma said:

    ah.... draught nite...

    well done, tip of the hat

  • @the-gipper said:

    Not sure why that matters. On draft night they had the 15th pick. And they made the trade only a day or two earlier, no?

    Point is...unlike what TCPO advocates the Browns did NOT elect to select the highest rated player when they basically had to chance to do so.

    If I recall correctly, Bosa's "rating/grade" was much higher essentially than either of the QBs.

    I mean, it is hindsight, but we should have gone for the DE last year (as I think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett), and we shoulda gone QB this year.

    So you think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett, despite the fact that Garrett's prospect score is higher?

    But I thought the NFL prospect score was all that matters...

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    So you think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett, despite the fact that Garrett's prospect score is higher?

    But I thought the NFL prospect score was all that matters...

    There's things that Bosa does better than Garrett and things Garrett does better. If Horton were still here and we were running that fucking 3-4, and both of em were coming out...i'd say Garett's a better 3-4 olb'er prospect forgetting what Bosa did in SD this past year. If Bosa was comign out this year I'd want him as I think he was a more complete 43 DE than Garrett was. Better fit in Williams scheme imo.

  • With the 3 premium prospects....Clowney, Bosa and Garrett all just starting out....it'll be interesting to see who breaks out and who doesnt.....maybe they'll all be stars....

    Based upon body type and mentality alone...I predict Bosa has the longest(& most notable) career......with Clowney being the one to flame out

  • With the 3 premium prospects....Clowney, Bosa and Garrett all just starting out....it'll be interesting to see who breaks out and who doesnt.....maybe they'll all be stars....

    Based upon body type and mentality alone...I predict Bosa has the longest(& most notable) career......with Clowney being the one to flame out

    @mudfly said:

    With the 3 premium prospects....Clowney, Bosa and Garrett all just starting out....it'll be interesting to see who breaks out and who doesnt.....maybe they'll all be stars....

    Based upon body type and mentality alone...I predict Bosa has the longest(& most notable) career......with Clowney being the one to flame out

    i would have agreed before this year but you can't discount what Clowneys done this year. It looks like he's become a complete edge player.

  • Health remains Clowney's big question... hope to see him and a healthy JJ opposite each other in 2017.

    They might be as good a duo as my Garrett - Thomas one... 😉

  • So can any of you unbiased A&M (oxymoron?) 😉 guys give your honest thoughts on Garrett being the next Khalil Mack vs the next Mingo? I haven't seen him play a snap, but hearing things from some of the 'experts' in the media (oxymoron?) about him disappearing against top talent has me concerned.

    Just looking for someone who has watched him play multiple games and can give an honest good vs bad scouting opinion, as well as your overall prediction, whether he's a Brown or not.

    @d-bone said:

    So can any of you unbiased A&M (oxymoron?) 😉 guys give your honest thoughts on Garrett being the next Khalil Mack vs the next Mingo? I haven't seen him play a snap, but hearing things from some of the 'experts' in the media (oxymoron?) about him disappearing against top talent has me concerned.

    Just looking for someone who has watched him play multiple games and can give an honest good vs bad scouting opinion, as well as your overall prediction, whether he's a Brown or not.

    I watched Von Miller, Michael Bennett and Garrett and the reason I brought up Garrett to this board way back when he was a freshman was that I saw more NFL potential in him than I did either of the other two, especially Bennett who was a late bloomer. Von stayed that 4th year just so he could improve enough to be a top 5 choice. That he accomplished. And we all know now that both the other two are still premier defenders in the NFL. Nothing Garrett has done in college has changed my mind. I was disappointed that he did not meet his goals for this year, but a high ankle sprain definitely affected him. I did not think he had fully recovered until the combine because he did not want to take the time to heal and let down his teammates. Clowney pretty much took off his last year at SC so as to avoid injury before being drafted #1. I think they are comparable players in multiple ways, particularly in quickness & speed around the edge with real "bendability". If the Browns don't take him they will regret it later. He is not a Mingo. Highly motivated to be the best that's ever been. He isn't just saying it to please others. He really wants to be the best and will work his ass off to get there just like he worked his ass off to put on a "show" at the combine. You could see he was not happy at all with his "slow" 4.64 40 and he gave that extra effort to hit that 41 in. vert. and 33 reps. We will be glad he is a Brown by season's end barring any injury. Hopefully we add other stellar D players along with him so we have real depth for a change. One player never made a whole D great, but it helps.