OK, just announce we're taking Garrett....
-
@ghoolie said:
Bosa is mroe physical than Garrett. The LT from Alabama shut his shit down like BOOM. Bosa is more of an in your face, fighter in addition to being an edge guy.
Garret is not worth #1 or #12. This guy is going to be average.
The only Ohio State guys our FOs have drafted since the 90s are Craig Powell in round 1 and Brian Robiskie in round 2. 2 guys that almost started. While BB hit a grand slam with Eric Turner in round 1 - I think his swing and misses on guys like Touchdown-Free Tommy Vardell, Craig Powell and Derrick Alexander (who couldn't catch crabs from Miley Cyrus) trained him well to prioritize trading out of round 1 for some bulky volumes in round 2.
In fact, the GM TN hired from NE learned this art from BB and he stockpiled 3 second round picks in his very first draft here in Nashville in 2016. Not bad when you can land a guy like Derrick Henry as your 3rd and final pick of round 2.
The Bosa thing is done - why waste so much time on that? San Diego still sucked Ghoolie. It was the ONLY team this franchise beat in spite of a terrific outing from Bosa. They ranked 29th in points allowed. It'll be interesting to see how long Bosa maintains the level he played at because in his final year at Ohio State dropped all the way down to 5.5 sacks (which is more pedestrian the Buckeye fans want it to be). Just like 2016, it took him about a month into the regular season to get himself going while critics want to attack Garrett today.
I'm going to go watch this beatdown you keep bringing up vrs Bama. I have always heard it was a great trench war from sides but you're making it sound like it the type of contest Michael Spinks gave Mike Tyson.
-
With the 3 premium prospects....Clowney, Bosa and Garrett all just starting out....it'll be interesting to see who breaks out and who doesnt.....maybe they'll all be stars....
Based upon body type and mentality alone...I predict Bosa has the longest(& most notable) career......with Clowney being the one to flame out
i would have agreed before this year but you can't discount what Clowneys done this year. It looks like he's become a complete edge player.
i would have agreed before this year but you can't discount what Clowneys done this year. It looks like he's become a complete edge player.
Eh....he actually had a decent season(first in 3 years)......but he's nowhere near the monster "once in a lifetime" talent he was built up to be....heck Ogbah had the same #'s Clowney did and most consider him to have had an "ok" rookie season.....
To me, Clownboy looks more like the oft injured, on again off again, minimal effort player I expected he would be.....
Health remains Clowney's big question...
Health......and effort / love of the game......dont think he has either.....
Counting college (6 years of ball)....I think he has played 1 complete season....and has only had 1 "big" season, which was 5 years ago(btw).....
-
OK-just Garrett against Bama 2016 two weeks out from the high ankle sprain and did not play SC the week before. One legged man has most plays go away from him as any smart OC would gameplan.
-
OK-just Garrett against Bama 2016 two weeks out from the high ankle sprain and did not play SC the week before. One legged man has most plays go away from him as any smart OC would gameplan.
OK-just Garrett against Bama 2016 two weeks out from the high ankle sprain and did not play SC the week before. One legged man has most plays go away from him as any smart OC would gameplan.
The one thing I take from this video is against NFL tackles Garrett will get shut down just like Mingo did.
-
OK-just Garrett against Bama 2016 two weeks out from the high ankle sprain and did not play SC the week before. One legged man has most plays go away from him as any smart OC would gameplan.
The one thing I take from this video is against NFL tackles Garrett will get shut down just like Mingo did.
The one thing I take from this video is against NFL tackles Garrett will get shut down just like Mingo did.
Nothing like Mingo...
When every. single. play is directed away from Garrett....an indication that HE has shut down the ENTIRE left side of Bama's offense.......w/o even making a play....
And, if you actually watched.....you'd see the few times they went his way.....he wasnt "shut down"...
Gotta be able to see what his talent does....even if he's not always the one making the play....
-
^ Man, I did not like what I saw there at all. I get the ankle thing, but dude looked like he was magnetically connected to his o-lineman after the snap..... Mingo came to my mind after the 5th play.
Yikes.
^ Man, I did not like what I saw there at all. I get the ankle thing, but dude looked like he was magnetically connected to his o-lineman after the snap..... Mingo came to my mind after the 5th play.
Yikes.
Ever played an "quick" sport with a high ankle sprain? In racquetball it feels like one leg is constantly "nailed" to the floor ever time you try to accelerate. I can't imagine how it feels when someone is also intentionally trying to get in your way leaning their weight on you while grabbing you too.
-
^ Man, I did not like what I saw there at all. I get the ankle thing, but dude looked like he was magnetically connected to his o-lineman after the snap..... Mingo came to my mind after the 5th play.
Yikes.
Ever played an "quick" sport with a high ankle sprain? In racquetball it feels like one leg is constantly "nailed" to the floor ever time you try to accelerate. I can't imagine how it feels when someone is also intentionally trying to get in your way leaning their weight on you while grabbing you too.
Ever played an "quick" sport with a high ankle sprain? In racquetball it feels like one leg is constantly "nailed" to the floor ever time you try accelerate. I can't imagine how it feels when someone is also intentionally trying to get in your way.
Hopefully you're right Ag..... Jack Youngblood once played in a SB on a broken leg, while simultaneously bitch slapping Chuck Norris.
-
The one thing I take from this video is against NFL tackles Garrett will get shut down just like Mingo did.
Nothing like Mingo...
When every. single. play is directed away from Garrett....an indication that HE has shut down the ENTIRE left side of Bama's offense.......w/o even making a play....
And, if you actually watched.....you'd see the few times they went his way.....he wasnt "shut down"...
Gotta be able to see what his talent does....even if he's not always the one making the play....
Nothing like Mingo...
When every. single. play is directed away from Garrett....an indication that HE has shut down the ENTIRE left side of Bama's offense.......w/o even making a play....
And, if you actually watched.....you'd see the few times they went his way.....he wasnt "shut down"...
Gotta be able to see what his talent does....even if he's not always the one making the play....
Would a top tier QB not audible away from him in most situations? I saw him on the backside of the plays that went his way. I don't doubt he will be good, but I get the sense that people think he will come here and get 10 sacks a game when realistically he might end up with 5-10 for the season.
-
10 sacks a game.....who does that?
5-10 for his rookie season would be ideal....A+
And, if the O redirects the other way(a best case, cuz that means he's good)....Ogbahs numbers should increase too....
And if Ogbahs numbers go up.....say 10-12 sacks for him......and 8-10 sacks for MG......thats 20ish for just those 2 guys....which is what our whole team had last year....Id take that
-
Exactly my point Mud, one player on D is not going to make a difference in winning us games. It is why we must get a QB in here at 1. I don't expect any of these QB to be ready to play anytime soon which leads me to start BO he's big enough to take the abuse until the line gels and the rookie is ready.
-
I guess I am disappointed that he didn't 'jump out' at me after 20+ plays. Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Derrick Thomas, JJ Watt, ect.. would all stand out on tape after 20+ plays, and do so in the NFL and I just expected the future #1 pick to do the same in a college game.
Hopefully his ankle was the reason, and maybe dude shouldn't even have been playing, but strapped it on for his teammates in a big game... I'll take that all day vs someone like Clowney. Just expected to see Superman with the way everyone gushed about his performance in a tank top and shorts vs stop watches and little orange cones.
If he turns out to be Mingo or even Courtney Brown, it'll set us back for years..... although there's only one loss between where we are today and a winless season, so 'set us back' is not a really huge fall I suppose.
-
Sacks: Total / Leader
- 2016: 26 / Ogbah 6.0
- 2015: 29 / A. Bryant 5.5
- 2014: 30 / Kruger 11.0
- 2013: 49 / Sheard 5.5
- 2012: 37 / Sheard 7.0
- 2011: 39 / Sheard 8.5
- 2010: 29 / Benard 7.5
- 2009: 40 / Wimbley 6.5
- 2008: 17 / Rogers 4.5
- 2007: 28 / Wimbley 5.0
- 2006: 28 / Wimbley 11... need I go on?
It's be nice to see a double digit leader again. It's be nice to average 3+ per game again as a team...
#Front2backInsideout...
-
I guess I am disappointed that he didn't 'jump out' at me after 20+ plays. Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Derrick Thomas, JJ Watt, ect.. would all stand out on tape after 20+ plays, and do so in the NFL and I just expected the future #1 pick to do the same in a college game.
Hopefully his ankle was the reason, and maybe dude shouldn't even have been playing, but strapped it on for his teammates in a big game... I'll take that all day vs someone like Clowney. Just expected to see Superman with the way everyone gushed about his performance in a tank top and shorts vs stop watches and little orange cones.
If he turns out to be Mingo or even Courtney Brown, it'll set us back for years..... although there's only one loss between where we are today and a winless season, so 'set us back' is not a really huge fall I suppose.
If he turns out to be Mingo or even Courtney Brown, it'll set us back for years.....
That can be said for ANYONE we pick(and has been a thousand times or so).....plain and simple...
That is why you pick the best prospect.....who has the highest odds of succeeding.....and,right now, is Garrett
-
If he turns out to be Mingo or even Courtney Brown, it'll set us back for years.....
That can be said for ANYONE we pick(and has been a thousand times or so).....plain and simple...
That is why you pick the best prospect.....who has the highest odds of succeeding.....and,right now, is Garrett
-
Of course.....thats what this whole predraft evaluation thing is about.....varying opinions....no one player will ever have a 100% rating from everyone....
But...every once in a while, there is a consensus......and, Id say, this year it's leaning that way......say 90% have him as 1....
and 10% still debating that ???? is #1 instead...
So.....since you're debating......Who is your #1 rated player???
-
For me if I had to take chances, I would select the QB at 1 and take the chance that allen falls to 12. I believe the plan all along has been to get the #1 pick so we could choose the best available QB. I think the Garrett pick is the smoke screen to see if someone will mortgage the farm to come up to #1.
-
Of course.....thats what this whole predraft evaluation thing is about.....varying opinions....no one player will ever have a 100% rating from everyone....
But...every once in a while, there is a consensus......and, Id say, this year it's leaning that way......say 90% have him as 1....
and 10% still debating that ???? is #1 instead...
So.....since you're debating......Who is your #1 rated player???
So.....since you're debating......Who is your #1 rated player???
I'll be honest Mud, I don't have one. I don't have the time, or the willingness to research these guys to give an educated opinion..... The video that Ag posted in this thread are the first snaps that I've seen of Garrett, so I guess that says enough about my 'research'.
I'll say this about my draft thoughts, whoever gets the Stanford kid (regardless of where he's picked - 1, 10, 71st, don't F'n care), is going to get a great football player, and one that is going to immediately help their team win games...... Don't care what the stop watch said, don't care how big his hands are, don't care how long his femurs are, dude is an outstanding football player and will succeed at the highest level.
Sometimes people can't see the forest through the trees.
-
For me if I had to take chances, I would select the QB at 1 and take the chance that allen falls to 12. I believe the plan all along has been to get the #1 pick so we could choose the best available QB. I think the Garrett pick is the smoke screen to see if someone will mortgage the farm to come up to #1.
For me if I had to take chances, I would select the QB at 1 and take the chance that allen falls to 12. I believe the plan all along has been to get the #1 pick so we could choose the best available QB. I think the Garrett pick is the smoke screen to see if someone will mortgage the farm to come up to #1.
Why do you suppose a 10 year vet (Joe Thomas) assigned to protect the blind side of QB disagrees with you? What doesn't he know about taking a college QB (many from spread offenses this year) and treating them to the culture shock of our situation? How many different weeks did the guy who started at QB survive the start? Joe Thomas knows the sequel here.
Why not make this an easier place to play QB if that's where the draft sets up strongest? Where we run into trouble is drafting guys that don't belong in round 1 and thinking our coaches can just Dr Frankenstein these Rent-A-Wrecks up into football messiahs in lieu of them becoming victims' names on a t-shirt.
How many times do we have to watch Old Yeller get killed to understand he gets killed? If I see us overrate 1 more Brady Quinn or Brandon Weeden where they don't belong up in round 1, I'm gonna cry like I'm back in my terrible 2's. Too late...
-
I guess I am disappointed that he didn't 'jump out' at me after 20+ plays. Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Derrick Thomas, JJ Watt, ect.. would all stand out on tape after 20+ plays, and do so in the NFL and I just expected the future #1 pick to do the same in a college game.
Hopefully his ankle was the reason, and maybe dude shouldn't even have been playing, but strapped it on for his teammates in a big game... I'll take that all day vs someone like Clowney. Just expected to see Superman with the way everyone gushed about his performance in a tank top and shorts vs stop watches and little orange cones.
If he turns out to be Mingo or even Courtney Brown, it'll set us back for years..... although there's only one loss between where we are today and a winless season, so 'set us back' is not a really huge fall I suppose.
I guess I am disappointed that he didn't 'jump out' at me after 20+ plays. Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Derrick Thomas, JJ Watt, ect.. would all stand out on tape after 20+ plays, and do so in the NFL and I just expected the future #1 pick to do the same in a college game.
Hopefully his ankle was the reason, and maybe dude shouldn't even have been playing, but strapped it on for his teammates in a big game... I'll take that all day vs someone like Clowney. Just expected to see Superman with the way everyone gushed about his performance in a tank top and shorts vs stop watches and little orange cones.
If he turns out to be Mingo or even Courtney Brown, it'll set us back for years..... although there's only one loss between where we are today and a winless season, so 'set us back' is not a really huge fall I suppose.
He didn't jump out after 20 plays? Well that depends on what you were looking for. 90% of the plays were to the other side of the field. What you saw was a very good football team's game-plan revolve around avoiding a very good player. Sure you can go and cherry-pick some games where those players you mentioned in college dominated (you can do the same thing with Garrett), but the thing about college is that the teams aren't as complete and so you can run a vast majority of your plays away from one particular player and get away with it. In the NFL you can't do that, you have to run at JJ, Von and Mack at times, or drop back in the pocket several times a game in obvious passing situations. The Bama tape was them running to one side of the field or up the middle 90% of the time. The few times they did pass it were either roll-outs to the opposite side of the field or really quick passes. There were a few plays where they ran to Garrett side, but then again the defensive ends responsibility is to set the edge and force the rb to go inside, and that happened in that tape a lot. It just so happened there was no one there so it looked like MG should have just beat the tackle to get to the rb but again that typically isn't what the DE is suppose to do in that situation because if he does that and misses the rb, then there is no help to the outside and its a big play. This is why you do hear that he disappears in games, but at the same time he is pretty much a unanimous number 1 selection because its pretty obvious what the teams offensive game plan revolves around. He does dissapear in games but its not because he isn't being effective, just the opposing team was able to craft a game-plan to avoid him and due to other weaknesses on the defense they were able to do it successfully.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login