Skip to content

OK, just announce we're taking Garrett....

The Browns Board
353 42 9.4k
  • @topdawg31 said:

    The one thing I take from this video is against NFL tackles Garrett will get shut down just like Mingo did.

    Nothing like Mingo...

    When every. single. play is directed away from Garrett....an indication that HE has shut down the ENTIRE left side of Bama's offense.......w/o even making a play....

    And, if you actually watched.....you'd see the few times they went his way.....he wasnt "shut down"...

    Gotta be able to see what his talent does....even if he's not always the one making the play....

    TopDawg31T TopDawg31 wrote on last edited by

    @mudfly said:

    Nothing like Mingo...

    When every. single. play is directed away from Garrett....an indication that HE has shut down the ENTIRE left side of Bama's offense.......w/o even making a play....

    And, if you actually watched.....you'd see the few times they went his way.....he wasnt "shut down"...

    Gotta be able to see what his talent does....even if he's not always the one making the play....

    Would a top tier QB not audible away from him in most situations? I saw him on the backside of the plays that went his way. I don't doubt he will be good, but I get the sense that people think he will come here and get 10 sacks a game when realistically he might end up with 5-10 for the season.

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by Mudfly

    10 sacks a game.....who does that?

    5-10 for his rookie season would be ideal....A+

    And, if the O redirects the other way(a best case, cuz that means he's good)....Ogbahs numbers should increase too....

    And if Ogbahs numbers go up.....say 10-12 sacks for him......and 8-10 sacks for MG......thats 20ish for just those 2 guys....which is what our whole team had last year....Id take that

  • TopDawg31T TopDawg31 wrote on last edited by

    Exactly my point Mud, one player on D is not going to make a difference in winning us games. It is why we must get a QB in here at 1. I don't expect any of these QB to be ready to play anytime soon which leads me to start BO he's big enough to take the abuse until the line gels and the rookie is ready.

  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by

    I guess I am disappointed that he didn't 'jump out' at me after 20+ plays. Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Derrick Thomas, JJ Watt, ect.. would all stand out on tape after 20+ plays, and do so in the NFL and I just expected the future #1 pick to do the same in a college game.

    Hopefully his ankle was the reason, and maybe dude shouldn't even have been playing, but strapped it on for his teammates in a big game... I'll take that all day vs someone like Clowney. Just expected to see Superman with the way everyone gushed about his performance in a tank top and shorts vs stop watches and little orange cones.

    If he turns out to be Mingo or even Courtney Brown, it'll set us back for years..... although there's only one loss between where we are today and a winless season, so 'set us back' is not a really huge fall I suppose.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    Sacks: Total / Leader

    • 2016: 26 / Ogbah 6.0
    • 2015: 29 / A. Bryant 5.5
    • 2014: 30 / Kruger 11.0
    • 2013: 49 / Sheard 5.5
    • 2012: 37 / Sheard 7.0
    • 2011: 39 / Sheard 8.5
    • 2010: 29 / Benard 7.5
    • 2009: 40 / Wimbley 6.5
    • 2008: 17 / Rogers 4.5
    • 2007: 28 / Wimbley 5.0
    • 2006: 28 / Wimbley 11... need I go on?

    It's be nice to see a double digit leader again. It's be nice to average 3+ per game again as a team...

    #Front2backInsideout...

  • I guess I am disappointed that he didn't 'jump out' at me after 20+ plays. Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Derrick Thomas, JJ Watt, ect.. would all stand out on tape after 20+ plays, and do so in the NFL and I just expected the future #1 pick to do the same in a college game.

    Hopefully his ankle was the reason, and maybe dude shouldn't even have been playing, but strapped it on for his teammates in a big game... I'll take that all day vs someone like Clowney. Just expected to see Superman with the way everyone gushed about his performance in a tank top and shorts vs stop watches and little orange cones.

    If he turns out to be Mingo or even Courtney Brown, it'll set us back for years..... although there's only one loss between where we are today and a winless season, so 'set us back' is not a really huge fall I suppose.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by

    @d-bone said:

    If he turns out to be Mingo or even Courtney Brown, it'll set us back for years.....

    That can be said for ANYONE we pick(and has been a thousand times or so).....plain and simple...

    That is why you pick the best prospect.....who has the highest odds of succeeding.....and,right now, is Garrett

  • @d-bone said:

    If he turns out to be Mingo or even Courtney Brown, it'll set us back for years.....

    That can be said for ANYONE we pick(and has been a thousand times or so).....plain and simple...

    That is why you pick the best prospect.....who has the highest odds of succeeding.....and,right now, is Garrett

    D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by

    @mudfly said:

    and,right now, is Garrett

    Debatable.....

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by

    Of course.....thats what this whole predraft evaluation thing is about.....varying opinions....no one player will ever have a 100% rating from everyone....

    But...every once in a while, there is a consensus......and, Id say, this year it's leaning that way......say 90% have him as 1....

    and 10% still debating that ???? is #1 instead...

    So.....since you're debating......Who is your #1 rated player???

  • TopDawg31T TopDawg31 wrote on last edited by

    For me if I had to take chances, I would select the QB at 1 and take the chance that allen falls to 12. I believe the plan all along has been to get the #1 pick so we could choose the best available QB. I think the Garrett pick is the smoke screen to see if someone will mortgage the farm to come up to #1.

  • Of course.....thats what this whole predraft evaluation thing is about.....varying opinions....no one player will ever have a 100% rating from everyone....

    But...every once in a while, there is a consensus......and, Id say, this year it's leaning that way......say 90% have him as 1....

    and 10% still debating that ???? is #1 instead...

    So.....since you're debating......Who is your #1 rated player???

    D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by

    @mudfly said:

    So.....since you're debating......Who is your #1 rated player???

    I'll be honest Mud, I don't have one. I don't have the time, or the willingness to research these guys to give an educated opinion..... The video that Ag posted in this thread are the first snaps that I've seen of Garrett, so I guess that says enough about my 'research'.

    I'll say this about my draft thoughts, whoever gets the Stanford kid (regardless of where he's picked - 1, 10, 71st, don't F'n care), is going to get a great football player, and one that is going to immediately help their team win games...... Don't care what the stop watch said, don't care how big his hands are, don't care how long his femurs are, dude is an outstanding football player and will succeed at the highest level.

    Sometimes people can't see the forest through the trees.

  • For me if I had to take chances, I would select the QB at 1 and take the chance that allen falls to 12. I believe the plan all along has been to get the #1 pick so we could choose the best available QB. I think the Garrett pick is the smoke screen to see if someone will mortgage the farm to come up to #1.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @topdawg31 said:

    For me if I had to take chances, I would select the QB at 1 and take the chance that allen falls to 12. I believe the plan all along has been to get the #1 pick so we could choose the best available QB. I think the Garrett pick is the smoke screen to see if someone will mortgage the farm to come up to #1.

    Why do you suppose a 10 year vet (Joe Thomas) assigned to protect the blind side of QB disagrees with you? What doesn't he know about taking a college QB (many from spread offenses this year) and treating them to the culture shock of our situation? How many different weeks did the guy who started at QB survive the start? Joe Thomas knows the sequel here.

    Why not make this an easier place to play QB if that's where the draft sets up strongest? Where we run into trouble is drafting guys that don't belong in round 1 and thinking our coaches can just Dr Frankenstein these Rent-A-Wrecks up into football messiahs in lieu of them becoming victims' names on a t-shirt.

    How many times do we have to watch Old Yeller get killed to understand he gets killed? If I see us overrate 1 more Brady Quinn or Brandon Weeden where they don't belong up in round 1, I'm gonna cry like I'm back in my terrible 2's. Too late...

  • I guess I am disappointed that he didn't 'jump out' at me after 20+ plays. Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Derrick Thomas, JJ Watt, ect.. would all stand out on tape after 20+ plays, and do so in the NFL and I just expected the future #1 pick to do the same in a college game.

    Hopefully his ankle was the reason, and maybe dude shouldn't even have been playing, but strapped it on for his teammates in a big game... I'll take that all day vs someone like Clowney. Just expected to see Superman with the way everyone gushed about his performance in a tank top and shorts vs stop watches and little orange cones.

    If he turns out to be Mingo or even Courtney Brown, it'll set us back for years..... although there's only one loss between where we are today and a winless season, so 'set us back' is not a really huge fall I suppose.

    B BroncoLurker wrote on last edited by

    @d-bone said:

    I guess I am disappointed that he didn't 'jump out' at me after 20+ plays. Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Derrick Thomas, JJ Watt, ect.. would all stand out on tape after 20+ plays, and do so in the NFL and I just expected the future #1 pick to do the same in a college game.

    Hopefully his ankle was the reason, and maybe dude shouldn't even have been playing, but strapped it on for his teammates in a big game... I'll take that all day vs someone like Clowney. Just expected to see Superman with the way everyone gushed about his performance in a tank top and shorts vs stop watches and little orange cones.

    If he turns out to be Mingo or even Courtney Brown, it'll set us back for years..... although there's only one loss between where we are today and a winless season, so 'set us back' is not a really huge fall I suppose.

    He didn't jump out after 20 plays? Well that depends on what you were looking for. 90% of the plays were to the other side of the field. What you saw was a very good football team's game-plan revolve around avoiding a very good player. Sure you can go and cherry-pick some games where those players you mentioned in college dominated (you can do the same thing with Garrett), but the thing about college is that the teams aren't as complete and so you can run a vast majority of your plays away from one particular player and get away with it. In the NFL you can't do that, you have to run at JJ, Von and Mack at times, or drop back in the pocket several times a game in obvious passing situations. The Bama tape was them running to one side of the field or up the middle 90% of the time. The few times they did pass it were either roll-outs to the opposite side of the field or really quick passes. There were a few plays where they ran to Garrett side, but then again the defensive ends responsibility is to set the edge and force the rb to go inside, and that happened in that tape a lot. It just so happened there was no one there so it looked like MG should have just beat the tackle to get to the rb but again that typically isn't what the DE is suppose to do in that situation because if he does that and misses the rb, then there is no help to the outside and its a big play. This is why you do hear that he disappears in games, but at the same time he is pretty much a unanimous number 1 selection because its pretty obvious what the teams offensive game plan revolves around. He does dissapear in games but its not because he isn't being effective, just the opposing team was able to craft a game-plan to avoid him and due to other weaknesses on the defense they were able to do it successfully.

  • I guess I am disappointed that he didn't 'jump out' at me after 20+ plays. Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Derrick Thomas, JJ Watt, ect.. would all stand out on tape after 20+ plays, and do so in the NFL and I just expected the future #1 pick to do the same in a college game.

    Hopefully his ankle was the reason, and maybe dude shouldn't even have been playing, but strapped it on for his teammates in a big game... I'll take that all day vs someone like Clowney. Just expected to see Superman with the way everyone gushed about his performance in a tank top and shorts vs stop watches and little orange cones.

    If he turns out to be Mingo or even Courtney Brown, it'll set us back for years..... although there's only one loss between where we are today and a winless season, so 'set us back' is not a really huge fall I suppose.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @d-bone said:

    I guess I am disappointed that he didn't 'jump out' at me after 20+ plays. Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Derrick Thomas, JJ Watt, ect.. would all stand out on tape after 20+ plays, and do so in the NFL and I just expected the future #1 pick to do the same in a college game.

    Got 5 minutes? Not earth-shattering, but solid, responsible play with some sizzle and pursuit... including a caused fumble... against a 9-4, Dak-led MSU.

  • @mudfly said:

    So.....since you're debating......Who is your #1 rated player???

    I'll be honest Mud, I don't have one. I don't have the time, or the willingness to research these guys to give an educated opinion..... The video that Ag posted in this thread are the first snaps that I've seen of Garrett, so I guess that says enough about my 'research'.

    I'll say this about my draft thoughts, whoever gets the Stanford kid (regardless of where he's picked - 1, 10, 71st, don't F'n care), is going to get a great football player, and one that is going to immediately help their team win games...... Don't care what the stop watch said, don't care how big his hands are, don't care how long his femurs are, dude is an outstanding football player and will succeed at the highest level.

    Sometimes people can't see the forest through the trees.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @d-bone said:

    I'll say this about my draft thoughts, whoever gets the Stanford kid (regardless of where he's picked - 1, 10, 71st, don't F'n care), is going to get a great football player, and one that is going to immediately help their team win games....

    Who says we can't get both? I did... 😉

  • @topdawg31 said:

    For me if I had to take chances, I would select the QB at 1 and take the chance that allen falls to 12. I believe the plan all along has been to get the #1 pick so we could choose the best available QB. I think the Garrett pick is the smoke screen to see if someone will mortgage the farm to come up to #1.

    Why do you suppose a 10 year vet (Joe Thomas) assigned to protect the blind side of QB disagrees with you? What doesn't he know about taking a college QB (many from spread offenses this year) and treating them to the culture shock of our situation? How many different weeks did the guy who started at QB survive the start? Joe Thomas knows the sequel here.

    Why not make this an easier place to play QB if that's where the draft sets up strongest? Where we run into trouble is drafting guys that don't belong in round 1 and thinking our coaches can just Dr Frankenstein these Rent-A-Wrecks up into football messiahs in lieu of them becoming victims' names on a t-shirt.

    How many times do we have to watch Old Yeller get killed to understand he gets killed? If I see us overrate 1 more Brady Quinn or Brandon Weeden where they don't belong up in round 1, I'm gonna cry like I'm back in my terrible 2's. Too late...

    TopDawg31T TopDawg31 wrote on last edited by

    @flugel said:

    Why do you suppose a 10 year vet (Joe Thomas) assigned to protect the blind side of QB disagrees with you? What doesn't he know about taking a college QB (many from spread offenses this year) and treating them to the culture shock of our situation? How many different weeks did the guy who started at QB survive the start? Joe Thomas knows the sequel here.

    Why not make this an easier place to play QB if that's where the draft sets up strongest? Where we run into trouble is drafting guys that don't belong in round 1 and thinking our coaches can just Dr Frankenstein these Rent-A-Wrecks up into football messiahs in lieu of them becoming victims' names on a t-shirt.

    How many times do we have to watch Old Yeller get killed to understand he gets killed? If I see us overrate 1 more Brady Quinn or Brandon Weeden where they don't belong up in round 1, I'm gonna cry like I'm back in my terrible 2's. Too late...

    If you want to quote JT, then state the fact just two days ago he said Trubisky would be his choice.

  • @flugel said:

    Why do you suppose a 10 year vet (Joe Thomas) assigned to protect the blind side of QB disagrees with you? What doesn't he know about taking a college QB (many from spread offenses this year) and treating them to the culture shock of our situation? How many different weeks did the guy who started at QB survive the start? Joe Thomas knows the sequel here.

    Why not make this an easier place to play QB if that's where the draft sets up strongest? Where we run into trouble is drafting guys that don't belong in round 1 and thinking our coaches can just Dr Frankenstein these Rent-A-Wrecks up into football messiahs in lieu of them becoming victims' names on a t-shirt.

    How many times do we have to watch Old Yeller get killed to understand he gets killed? If I see us overrate 1 more Brady Quinn or Brandon Weeden where they don't belong up in round 1, I'm gonna cry like I'm back in my terrible 2's. Too late...

    If you want to quote JT, then state the fact just two days ago he said Trubisky would be his choice.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel

    @topdawg31 said:

    If you want to quote JT, then state the fact just two days ago he said Trubisky would be his choice.

    I have zero evidence he's changed this strong opinion below so I look forward to reading what you needed to take out of context.

    Joe Thomas doesn't want Browns to take a quarterback No. 1 in the 2017 NFL Draft

    His reasoning behind it makes sense.

    by Harry Lyles Jr.@harrylylesjr Jan 26, 2017, 5:51pm EST

    usa_today_9735724.0.jpg Scott R. Galvin-USA TODAY Sports

    After having six different guys play quarterback at some point during the 2016 season, the Cleveland Browns are still searching for a franchise player at the position. The Browns have the No. 1 and 12 picks in the 2017 NFL Draft, and it wouldn’t be unreasonable to expect them to draft a quarterback.

    Browns offensive tackle and 10-time Pro Bowler Joe Thomas was on The Dan Patrick Show on Thursday, and said that the team shouldn’t pick a quarterback No. 1 overall.

    “I would say you want to go defense,” Thomas said. “I think you need to get a pass rusher.”

    “You’ve gotta be careful reaching for a quarterback at No. 1 because if they fail, they don’t help your team at all,” Thomas said.

    He added that you can still find a place for a defensive player to fit in on the team and the Browns need a player who can contribute immediately. Thomas should know: He’s one of a few first-round picks by the Browns in the past decade that has actually gone well for them.

    Since Thomas has been with the Browns, they have drafted Brady Quinn, Colt McCoy, Brandon Weeden, Johnny Manziel, and Cody Kessler. Among them, Kessler is the only player still in Cleveland, with the others having relatively short careers with the team.

    Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson has been a widely discussed option for the No. 1 overall pick. A talent like Watson might be too good to pass up, and the Browns have made it clear they’re interested in him.

    But there are certainly good defensive options like Myles Garrett, who Patrick mentioned. SB Nation’s Dan Kadar currently projects the Browns to draft the Texas A&M defensive end, and if they indeed do take Garrett, then at least Cleveland could get a new taco joint out of it.

    No matter who they select, the Browns will hope they turn out better than their more recent first-round picks, like Justin Gilbert, Manziel, Phil Taylor, Trent Richardson, and Weeden.

    Alex Mack was a good selection, but he’s protecting Matt Ryan in Houston next Sunday for the Falcons. The Browns will hope to hang on to whoever they select in the first round this time around.

    Next Up In NFL

  • @flugel said:

    Why do you suppose a 10 year vet (Joe Thomas) assigned to protect the blind side of QB disagrees with you? What doesn't he know about taking a college QB (many from spread offenses this year) and treating them to the culture shock of our situation? How many different weeks did the guy who started at QB survive the start? Joe Thomas knows the sequel here.

    Why not make this an easier place to play QB if that's where the draft sets up strongest? Where we run into trouble is drafting guys that don't belong in round 1 and thinking our coaches can just Dr Frankenstein these Rent-A-Wrecks up into football messiahs in lieu of them becoming victims' names on a t-shirt.

    How many times do we have to watch Old Yeller get killed to understand he gets killed? If I see us overrate 1 more Brady Quinn or Brandon Weeden where they don't belong up in round 1, I'm gonna cry like I'm back in my terrible 2's. Too late...

    If you want to quote JT, then state the fact just two days ago he said Trubisky would be his choice.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @topdawg31 said:

    If you want to quote JT, then state the fact just two days ago he said Trubisky would be his choice.

    Except that is not what he said... he took pains to clarify the ESPN report you are citing.

    Joe Thomas@joethomas73
    Just in case anybody was fooled by ESPN today, here's what I actually said yesterday on @923TheFan
  • @topdawg31 said:

    If you want to quote JT, then state the fact just two days ago he said Trubisky would be his choice.

    Except that is not what he said... he took pains to clarify the ESPN report you are citing.

    Joe Thomas@joethomas73
    Just in case anybody was fooled by ESPN today, here's what I actually said yesterday on @923TheFan
    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel

    @tour2ma said:

    Except that is not what he said... he took pains to clarify the ESPN report you are citing.

    https://twitter.com/joethomas73/status/845311553515782145?s=09

    Thanks Tour! I figured he took the Trubisky comment out of context more than Joe Thomas having a complete about-face from the strong opinion he had about not wanting a QB in round 1.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    I think you can't pass up Garrett...

    http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/13941681/myles-garrett-texas-aggies-new-johnny-football-just-less-johnny-more-football

    Except, if I thought Trubisky is the guy to take the team into the playoffs, be a star...

    it would be awesome to hear the Browns' staff discuss this draft.... lol

  • TopDawg31T TopDawg31 wrote on last edited by

    I never said joe said to take him, I listened to his interview and he said Trubisky had to most upside of all the qb to be able to run a pro style O