nfldraftscout senior rankings
-
I'm looking forward to watching more of him next year. Both of the Browns' starting safeties are free agents after this season, and I have a feeling that Mangini will end up replacing at least one of them.
-
Good point on the safeties.
The only good from a poor season is we have Berry....but it will have to be a real bad season because I could see him going between 3 and 5.
Berry is like a faster Ed Reed with better ball skills.
-
Good point on the safeties.
The only good from a poor season is we have Berry....but it will have to be a real bad season because I could see him going between 3 and 5.
Berry is like a faster Ed Reed with better ball skills.
-
I was at the Alabama game, and I remember thinking that if Berry got hurt running a screen pass or QB draw, Fulmer wouldn't have to worry about being fired, he'd have to worry about not getting killed on his way out of the stadium. I thought (and still think) it was crazy to use him in some of the ways they did.
Three things really impress me about Berry. First, his reflexes--he gets a lot of fumble recoveries and interceptions off of deflections, and when you watch him, there's no hesitation when the ball pops out or up; he's on it while everyone else is still standing around. Second, his vision--when he gets a pick, he returns it like it's a punt; he sets up blocks, finds the seam in the "coverage," etc. Third, he has great body control; once he gets the ball, you have to make sure that he's on the ground or out of bounds, because otherwise he'll find a way to bounce back up and keep running.
There are a bunch of YouTube videos out there, but I won't be too much of a homer. Here's a nice pick and runback against Georgia, with an added stick on Knowshon Moreno:
Dennis
-
Yep, he's special: ballhawks like Ed Reed but plays as big as Kerry Rhodes. When I first looked up his H/W, I was shocked to discover he's only 5'11", 195 lbs.
Seems like a good kid as well. I hear he's interning this summer at a dentist's office.
He'll be the best safety in next year's draft, but he won't be the only good one. Mays isn't as good as his hype would indicate, but he's a very good player with tremendous upside. Major Wright would be a nice replacement for Brodney Pool, should he decide to leave Florida early. And there are a couple other guys with 1st round potential.
-
Wes Bunting from the National Football Post has an interesting dissenting view on Darrell Stuckey:
Darrell Stuckey: No. 25, SS, 5-11, 205
A well-built athlete who exhibits good run/pass recognition and showcases a quick first step when attacking downhill. Is patient when asked to string out plays on the outside and uses the sideline well as an extra defender. Is always trying to force turnovers and demonstrates a violent tomahawk chop from behind in pursuit. However, he doesn’t exhibit ideal technique as a tackler and struggles getting into the body of ball carriers. Lacks ideal body control when closing on a play and doesn’t consistently take proper angles toward the ball. Struggles when asked to take on blocks inside the box and is easily washed out of plays.
Is a bit long legged initially out of his drop, but eventually gets his feet under him and can cleanly redirect out of his breaks. Showcases good short-area quickness in coverage and has the ability to quickly close on plays laterally. Is an instinctive safety who consistently gets good jumps on the football in coverage and possesses the ball skills to create turnovers in the secondary. However, he struggles flipping his hips when asked to turn and run down the field and doesn’t possess much of a second gear to his game.
Impression: Is an instinctive defender with a nose for the ball, but struggles breaking down in space and isn’t overly rangy vs. the pass. I know he put up some big numbers at Kansas last season, but I think he’s a bit overrated because of the weak strong safety class. Looks no more than a possible “dirty starter” at the next level.
No doubt it's a minority view, but I like having list of bad things to look for when examining a guy's game. Either you call bullshit or you
call Maualugasee what the other guy saw.Hopefully, it'll be the former when it comes to Stuckey.
-
Good read:
As they say, Stuckey is special
KU safety overcame tough start to become leader in life, football
-
-
-
Eric Norwood played very well last night: 8 tackles, 2 sacks, and a pressure on the 4th & long play that decided the game.
He did have some trouble slipping blocks early in the game, and his two sacks came against NC State's normal starting left guard, who was filling in at left tackle. But he was his usual explosive-but-under control self, looking like a nice potential 3-4 OLB and/or ILB. 3-4 teams are going to really like him in April.
On the other hand, I'm not sure that Willie Young fits in a 3-4. He's good at using his length to disrupt passing lanes and appears to have gotten better at shedding blocks, but I didn't think he looked all that fluid dropping into coverage. His lean, leggy build reminds me of Jarvis Moss and Shawn Crable, two guys who seem to lack true NFL positions.
He made some plays last night, but I'm not sure how/where he does it at the next level.
-
-
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login