Skip to content

2017 Board Draft ..... Players Picked By Teams

The Browns Board
96 13 8.4k
  • @tour2ma said:

    Other than Garrett, who beats out Thomas at LDE?

    .

    I would think any of the other guys by virtue of 1 or more years of exp would beat him out. If nassib is in the weightroom at all this offseason he should easily be able to outperform all the rookies, garett included....at least at the beginning of the season.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @clevfan4life said:

    I would think any of the other guys by virtue of 1 or more years of exp would beat him out. If nassib is in the weightroom at all this offseason he should easily be able to outperform all the rookies, garett included....at least at the beginning of the season.

    Obviously I disagree...

    @clevfan4life said:

    Wait wut? This is "exactly" when we need ti drsft for needs. We cant let the secondsry go unadressed, nor the qb situation

    How have I not addressed the 2ndary? Baker, Jones and Jones in consecutive picks. Even if we have to wait a year for Sidney...

    And that's not mentioning the pressure the front 7 will bring.

    Front to back... inside out...

  • @clevfan4life said:

    I would think any of the other guys by virtue of 1 or more years of exp would beat him out. If nassib is in the weightroom at all this offseason he should easily be able to outperform all the rookies, garett included....at least at the beginning of the season.

    Obviously I disagree...

    @clevfan4life said:

    Wait wut? This is "exactly" when we need ti drsft for needs. We cant let the secondsry go unadressed, nor the qb situation

    How have I not addressed the 2ndary? Baker, Jones and Jones in consecutive picks. Even if we have to wait a year for Sidney...

    And that's not mentioning the pressure the front 7 will bring.

    Front to back... inside out...

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @tour2ma said:

    How have I not addressed the 2ndary? Baker, Jones and Jones in consecutive picks. Even if we have to wait a year for Sidney...

    And that's not mentioning the pressure the front 7 will bring.

    Front to back... inside out...

    Go back to 12 & your not getting Thomas 😮.Would you insert Hooker, Foster or OJ? call it shits & giggles

  • @tour2ma said:

    How have I not addressed the 2ndary? Baker, Jones and Jones in consecutive picks. Even if we have to wait a year for Sidney...

    And that's not mentioning the pressure the front 7 will bring.

    Front to back... inside out...

    Go back to 12 & your not getting Thomas 😮.Would you insert Hooker, Foster or OJ? call it shits & giggles

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @gumby73 said:

    Go back to 12 & your not getting Thomas 😮.Would you insert Hooker, Foster or OJ? call it shits & giggles

    Which of the 11 before me was replaced by Thomas? 😉

  • This FO is not collecting picks to just "fix holes" , it's getting as many as possible and picking the best player they can. No Browns fan can be a fan of drafting for "needs" right now!

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @londonbrown said:

    This FO is not collecting picks to just "fix holes" , it's getting as many as possible and picking the best player they can. No Browns fan can be a fan of drafting for "needs" right now!

    While true, there are certain positions that are more needy for the Browns than others. The defensive backfield IS more needy than the defensive line. Even on the DL I think that DT is actually more of a need than a DE. And QB of course. OL was a need but they did a lot there in free agency. The one spot that is up for grabs is RT with like 3-4 candidates for that spot.

    Its fine to take the best player...but as we often know....a team is only as good as its weakest link. We can have great guns all over the place (not that we do)....but if one spot is weak and can be exploited...it will be exploited. Maybe great players at other spots can cover up for a weak link a bit...but it will eventually be found.

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #37

    I think even at DT we're more or less straight. We obviously have shelton and meder but then bryant, cooper, paea...both og and nas can slide inside on nascar downs and you'd have garett and either orchard or bring up collins to DE on those pure pass rush downs. Seems like a good d line rotation especially if ogbah and nassib put their time in during the offseason.

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #38

    I agree we need to possibly draft a RT either this year or next year at the latest. A guy that we groom to replace JT. Not sure if that guy is in this years draft or not

  • I think even at DT we're more or less straight. We obviously have shelton and meder but then bryant, cooper, paea...both og and nas can slide inside on nascar downs and you'd have garett and either orchard or bring up collins to DE on those pure pass rush downs. Seems like a good d line rotation especially if ogbah and nassib put their time in during the offseason.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @clevfan4life said:

    I think even at DT we're more or less straight. We obviously have shelton and meder but then bryant, cooper, paea...both og and nas can slide inside on nascar downs and you'd have garett and either orchard or bring up collins to DE on those pure pass rush downs. Seems like a good d line rotation especially if ogbah and nassib put their time in during the offseason.

    Paea is gone. Signed elsewhere. And all the other guys you are talking about are listed as DEs or OLBs. So they would likely be playing out of position if they moved inside. Now, I know guys have done that, some great players like Reggie White and JJ Watt. But I don't know if these guys on this team have that capability. I think I would still like a DT in the draft. Maybe a Carlos Watkins.

  • I agree we need to possibly draft a RT either this year or next year at the latest. A guy that we groom to replace JT. Not sure if that guy is in this years draft or not

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @clevfan4life said:

    I agree we need to possibly draft a RT either this year or next year at the latest. A guy that we groom to replace JT. Not sure if that guy is in this years draft or not

    We have Coleman, Drango, Erving....all of whom may be in the hunt for the starting RT job. Then there is Pasztor...status: free agent. Whether or not he comes back to the Browns is up in the air.

    This FO may want to audition these guys for that RT job. After all, the team has some pretty decent investment in them: Erving 1st round, Coleman 2d round, Drango..???round.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    I think even at DT we're more or less straight. We obviously have shelton and meder but then bryant, cooper, paea...both og and nas can slide inside on nascar downs and you'd have garett and either orchard or bring up collins to DE on those pure pass rush downs. Seems like a good d line rotation especially if ogbah and nassib put their time in during the offseason.

    Paea is gone. Signed elsewhere. And all the other guys you are talking about are listed as DEs or OLBs. So they would likely be playing out of position if they moved inside. Now, I know guys have done that, some great players like Reggie White and JJ Watt. But I don't know if these guys on this team have that capability. I think I would still like a DT in the draft. Maybe a Carlos Watkins.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #41

    Og and nas are NOT olb'ers despite what horton

    Attempted with them. They're not really DT's either except in nascar packages.

    Didnt know paea was gone. So at DT we've got bryant, meder, shrlton,cooper....who else?

    @the-gipper said:

    Paea is gone. Signed elsewhere. And all the other guys you are talking about are listed as DEs or OLBs. So they would likely be playing out of position if they moved inside. Now, I know guys have done that, some great players like Reggie White and JJ Watt. But I don't know if these guys on this team have that capability. I think I would still like a DT in the draft. Maybe a Carlos Watkins.

  • Og and nas are NOT olb'ers despite what horton

    Attempted with them. They're not really DT's either except in nascar packages.

    Didnt know paea was gone. So at DT we've got bryant, meder, shrlton,cooper....who else?

    @the-gipper said:

    Paea is gone. Signed elsewhere. And all the other guys you are talking about are listed as DEs or OLBs. So they would likely be playing out of position if they moved inside. Now, I know guys have done that, some great players like Reggie White and JJ Watt. But I don't know if these guys on this team have that capability. I think I would still like a DT in the draft. Maybe a Carlos Watkins.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #42

    @clevfan4life said:

    Og and nas are NOT olb'ers despite what horton

    Attempted with them. They're not really DT's either except in nascar packages.

    Didnt know paea was gone. So at DT we've got bryant, meder, shrlton,cooper....who else?

    Except Cooper is listed at DE, and I don't recall him playing DT. They list Meder at DE too...but I do know he played inside a lot.

    Again...all I can say it that the Gays for Gayrett may want to not choke on their sputum if the name of Jonathan Allen is actually called out at #1.

    Just sayin'.

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #43

    I got cooper as a DT too......same list as you Cleve.....

    Obviously, Bryant can go both ways.....but with the 2 youngsters, plus(hopefully) Garrett....Id like to see Bryant move around and inside more....

    And maybe a little Orchard at DE too.....

    Gip....in the 3-4(which has been our base d) there are no DT's(hence none on our depth chart?).....so our listed OLB's are actually playing more of a DE.....and our listed DE's are closer to DT's.....etc......

    So, now that our base will be 4-3.....Id expect these a number of these guys to be reclassified going fwd....

  • I agree we need to possibly draft a RT either this year or next year at the latest. A guy that we groom to replace JT. Not sure if that guy is in this years draft or not

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #44

    @clevfan4life said:

    I agree we need to possibly draft a RT either this year or next year at the latest. A guy that we groom to replace JT. Not sure if that guy is in this years draft or not

    Haven't seen him... not in this class.

    Shon C. has a shot of replacing Joe down the road, but it'll be a ways. If we in fact do turn a corner in 2017 and continue to ascend in 2018, a healthy Joe ain't retiring.

    @mudfly said:

    So, now that our base will be 4-3.....Id expect these a number of these guys to be reclassified going fwd....

    Bingo... 4-3 DEs I see rostered are: Og, Nassib and Holmes... and I'm not sure about Holmes. I think Thomas crushes that lot.

  • I got cooper as a DT too......same list as you Cleve.....

    Obviously, Bryant can go both ways.....but with the 2 youngsters, plus(hopefully) Garrett....Id like to see Bryant move around and inside more....

    And maybe a little Orchard at DE too.....

    Gip....in the 3-4(which has been our base d) there are no DT's(hence none on our depth chart?).....so our listed OLB's are actually playing more of a DE.....and our listed DE's are closer to DT's.....etc......

    So, now that our base will be 4-3.....Id expect these a number of these guys to be reclassified going fwd....

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @mudfly said:

    I got cooper as a DT too......same list as you Cleve.....

    Obviously, Bryant can go both ways.....but with the 2 youngsters, plus(hopefully) Garrett....Id like to see Bryant move around and inside more....

    And maybe a little Orchard at DE too.....

    Gip....in the 3-4(which has been our base d) there are no DT's(hence none on our depth chart?).....so our listed OLB's are actually playing more of a DE.....and our listed DE's are closer to DT's.....etc......

    So, now that our base will be 4-3.....Id expect these a number of these guys to be reclassified going fwd....

    I still think a four square DT may be a bit of a priority. Probably #3 after QB, DBs.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    Og and nas are NOT olb'ers despite what horton

    Attempted with them. They're not really DT's either except in nascar packages.

    Didnt know paea was gone. So at DT we've got bryant, meder, shrlton,cooper....who else?

    Except Cooper is listed at DE, and I don't recall him playing DT. They list Meder at DE too...but I do know he played inside a lot.

    Again...all I can say it that the Gays for Gayrett may want to not choke on their sputum if the name of Jonathan Allen is actually called out at #1.

    Just sayin'.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @the-gipper said:

    all I can say it that the Gays for Gayrett may want to not choke on their sputum if the name of Jonathan Allen is actually called out at #1.[/color]

    Just sayin'.

    I was in camp allen till i read his shoulders look like a 10+ year veteran already. All things equal i do beleive allen is better "right now", but garett has a higher ceiling.....maybe. And if we did draft allen id want him to take a substantial amt of snaps at DE where i think he's be bulling down ever tacklebin the league. Just those shoulders tho

  • @the-gipper said:

    all I can say it that the Gays for Gayrett may want to not choke on their sputum if the name of Jonathan Allen is actually called out at #1.[/color]

    Just sayin'.

    I was in camp allen till i read his shoulders look like a 10+ year veteran already. All things equal i do beleive allen is better "right now", but garett has a higher ceiling.....maybe. And if we did draft allen id want him to take a substantial amt of snaps at DE where i think he's be bulling down ever tacklebin the league. Just those shoulders tho

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @clevfan4life said:

    I was in camp allen till i read his shoulders look like a 10+ year veteran already. All things equal i do beleive allen is better "right now", but garett has a higher ceiling.....maybe. And if we did draft allen id want him to take a substantial amt of snaps at DE where i think he's be bulling down ever tacklebin the league. Just those shoulders tho

    Ditto except for bulling... Controlling, then ripping and pulling or swimming here.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    I was in camp allen till i read his shoulders look like a 10+ year veteran already. All things equal i do beleive allen is better "right now", but garett has a higher ceiling.....maybe. And if we did draft allen id want him to take a substantial amt of snaps at DE where i think he's be bulling down ever tacklebin the league. Just those shoulders tho

    Ditto except for bulling... Controlling, then ripping and pulling or swimming here.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #48

    @tour2ma said:

    Ditto except for bulling... Controlling, then ripping and pulling or swimming here.

    If his shoulders are bad then the ripping and pulling may cause him problems. I know that Mike Golic was saying that he had 7 surgeries on one shoulder and 3 on the other. So the position does put some strain on that area.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    I was in camp allen till i read his shoulders look like a 10+ year veteran already. All things equal i do beleive allen is better "right now", but garett has a higher ceiling.....maybe. And if we did draft allen id want him to take a substantial amt of snaps at DE where i think he's be bulling down ever tacklebin the league. Just those shoulders tho

    Ditto except for bulling... Controlling, then ripping and pulling or swimming here.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #49

    @tour2ma said:

    Ditto except for bulling... Controlling, then ripping and pulling or swimming here.

    Bulling is sort of an inclusive word though isnt it? Guys that can bull the shit out of ol almost by def can stack/shed at will because to bull right u have to establish the stack first

  • @tour2ma said:

    Ditto except for bulling... Controlling, then ripping and pulling or swimming here.

    Bulling is sort of an inclusive word though isnt it? Guys that can bull the shit out of ol almost by def can stack/shed at will because to bull right u have to establish the stack first

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #50

    @clevfan4life said:

    Bulling is sort of an inclusive word though isnt it? Guys that can bull the shit out of ol almost by def can stack/shed at will because to bull right u have to establish the stack first

    Yes and no... one thing to stymie an OT... another to drive him back into the QBs lap which is more of how I think of "bull".

    But I'm willing to chalk it up to semantics...

  • @clevfan4life said:

    Bulling is sort of an inclusive word though isnt it? Guys that can bull the shit out of ol almost by def can stack/shed at will because to bull right u have to establish the stack first

    Yes and no... one thing to stymie an OT... another to drive him back into the QBs lap which is more of how I think of "bull".

    But I'm willing to chalk it up to semantics...

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by Clevfan4life
    #51

    @tour2ma said:

    Yes and no... one thing to stymie an OT... another to drive him back into the QBs lap which is more of how I think of "bull".

    But I'm willing to chalk it up to semantics...

    Wouldnt u assume though if a guy could reg deposit an OT in the qb's jock, that he wouldnt have a problem controlling said tackle at the line?

    This is what im not sure how good garett is at doing. A 4-3 DE in the NFL has to be competent at this otherwise the defensive scheme falls apart.

    Edit: last paragraph talking about stacking/shedding not bull rushing. Ill agree that just because u can hold off a tackle at the line doesnt necessarily mean u'll be able to drive him back into the qb

  • @tour2ma said:

    Yes and no... one thing to stymie an OT... another to drive him back into the QBs lap which is more of how I think of "bull".

    But I'm willing to chalk it up to semantics...

    Wouldnt u assume though if a guy could reg deposit an OT in the qb's jock, that he wouldnt have a problem controlling said tackle at the line?

    This is what im not sure how good garett is at doing. A 4-3 DE in the NFL has to be competent at this otherwise the defensive scheme falls apart.

    Edit: last paragraph talking about stacking/shedding not bull rushing. Ill agree that just because u can hold off a tackle at the line doesnt necessarily mean u'll be able to drive him back into the qb

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @clevfan4life said:

    This is what im not sure how good garett is at doing. A 4-3 DE in the NFL has to be competent at this otherwise the defensive scheme falls apart.

    Garrett's pretty damn good, but not the all-controlling, immovable object Allen is. What Garrett lacks in shed he makes up for in burst to the RB once he commits. He "guesses" surprisingly little... as opposed to Clowney, who picked a side early and often at SC.