Skip to content

Time Share Talk

Barber Shop Talk
35 4 3.4k
  • Future "bucket list" trades/Getaways that I will want to make someday:

    Napa Valley

    Biloxi, Miss.

    Hilton Head

    Naples/Marco Fla area

    Door Co Wisc.

    Chicago/Ill area

    Lake Placid NY

    New Hampshire

    Acadia Maine

    Gatlinburg Tn

    Kauai

    Portland Ore. area

    Jackson Hole WY

    Kentucky, near Mammoth Cave

    New York City...though that may be impossible as nothing ever comes available.

    Places in Europe someday:

    Southern England...somewhere near London/Kent

    Scotland

    Paris

    French Riviera

    Southern Spain

    Venice

  • My younger brother just retired as a pilot for Netjets and earned all kinds of flying mileage from return flights from locations he would leave the Gulfstream IV. He had two one week timeshares, one on Kauai and the other on Oahu, but he got to always fly there free because of the flying mileage accumulated. He has traded for time on both Maui and the Big Island, but rarely used it for any other locations since he and his wife love Hawaii so much. I've been lucky enough to come along to both Kauai and Maui and this Dec. we are going to the Big Island for just over a week of their two weeks there.

    It's been tempting to buy a time share too, but we usually manage one trip a year other than the invited timeshare my brother offers on occasion. Been on transatlantic cruise to Azores + 3 southern ports in Spain, staying in Barcelona and driving to Paris for another week stay. Two weeks in Italy including Rome, Venice, Florence and Tuscan countryside. A week in Akumal, Yucatan. Cruise with the grandkids on Disney to St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Bahamas and another to Honduras, Belize and Cozumel. Also had a trip to Brussels with a drive to Bruges, Normandy, Northern France and WW I Meuse Argonne/St. Michelle/Verdun. When the kids were teens we took them to England for two weeks, St. John USVI a week and drove to Teotihuacan, Mexico from Texas to climb up the Pyramid of the Sun. Didn't have all the mass drug cartel killings and kidnappings at that time though.

    Now we have a trip to Madrid and drive to various paradores around central Spain coming up in Oct. for two weeks. After that and Hawaii, who knows? I've thought about a Windstar sailing ship cruise through the Grenadines or maybe going back to St. John. But I'd have to sell it with a stay on St.Thomas for the shopping anchor I take along. 😁

  • If you do buy a timeshare, you may want to buy one on the secondary market. Purchasing directly from the resort developer means you pay big bucks...depending on where you buy. But you can go on ebay and pick one up for as low as a dollar, plus closing costs.

    A lot of timeshares are purchased on the points system. I am not a points owner. There can be advantages to points, but essentially it seems to me that points is just a way to give you less for more money.

    One group you do NOT want to buy with is the Westgate group. I own a Diamond Resort...as you see above, the Polo Towers.

    Of course, as you see from my posts above, I have never stayed in my TS, always traded. Summer in Las Vegas is not....to me, prime time...though my week does have a pretty high "Travel Demand Index"....which is simply a measure of how in demand a week in a particular location may be.

    Since your brother owns a timeshare I assume that he probably belongs to one of the big TS exchange companies, either RCI or Interval International (II). From his account you can simply purchase "Getaway" or Bonus/Extra Vacation" weeks....paying a small guest certificate fee plus the price of the Getaway. That way you can use it to travel to tons of places without actually having the investment in a timeshare.

  • I'll have ask him about that. His is with Marriott.

  • I'll have ask him about that. His is with Marriott.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I'll have ask him about that. His is with Marriott.

    That is one of the big companies. They trade on Interval International, the same group that I belong to. I have stayed in couple of Marriotts. One in Panama City FLa, one in Park City, Utah. Very nice.

    But they too have been big on pushing for points.

  • I honestly thought people didn't buy into the Time Share scam anymore. Guess I was wrong.

  • I honestly thought people didn't buy into the Time Share scam anymore. Guess I was wrong.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I honestly thought people didn't buy into the Time Share scam anymore. Guess I was wrong.

    Yes, you are wrong....about both aspects. I am not saying there is not some "scamming" going on out there, (though really it is less a "scam" than it is just about certain groups using high pressure sales tactics) but if you are with the right situation, and smart about it, having a timeshare can be a rewarding experience. And there are millions and millions of timeshare owners who can attest to it.

    As you can see from all the uses I have made of mine. It is actually more cost effective to travel, again, if you are smart.

  • I guess the reason I have avoided them, besides the initial outlay, is that when I travel I like to actually rent a car and stay at various places so I can see a lot more of the area. With the exception of a week in Paris and a week in Akumal, Mex., all trips in other countries have been like that. I get a better feel for the people and the area and also get a lot of "local" recommendations on sights to see or places to eat. Exceptions are when we get to be my brother's guest at one of the Hawaiian isles. But we still rent a car and go to various places all around each isle when we are there, just stay in one spot. Two of our best trips were a few days in Barcelona, Spain and then driving to Paris and staying in Bordeaux on the way there. And the other was a few days in Rome, train to Venice a few days, train to Florence a few more and then driving into Tuscany to stay one location and drive around several days. I just like the flexibility of being able to plan a trip with multiple short stays in various locations. Really looking forward to driving all around central Spain with multiple stays in paradores before staying in Madrid the last 4 days to hit all the museums.

  • I guess the reason I have avoided them, besides the initial outlay, is that when I travel I like to actually rent a car and stay at various places so I can see a lot more of the area. With the exception of a week in Paris and a week in Akumal, Mex., all trips in other countries have been like that. I get a better feel for the people and the area and also get a lot of "local" recommendations on sights to see or places to eat. Exceptions are when we get to be my brother's guest at one of the Hawaiian isles. But we still rent a car and go to various places all around each isle when we are there, just stay in one spot. Two of our best trips were a few days in Barcelona, Spain and then driving to Paris and staying in Bordeaux on the way there. And the other was a few days in Rome, train to Venice a few days, train to Florence a few more and then driving into Tuscany to stay one location and drive around several days. I just like the flexibility of being able to plan a trip with multiple short stays in various locations. Really looking forward to driving all around central Spain with multiple stays in paradores before staying in Madrid the last 4 days to hit all the museums.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I guess the reason I have avoided them, besides the initial outlay, is that when I travel I like to actually rent a car and stay at various places so I can see a lot more of the area. With the exception of a week in Paris and a week in Akumal, Mex., all trips in other countries have been like that. I get a better feel for the people and the area and also get a lot of "local" recommendations on sights to see or places to eat. Exceptions are when we get to be my brother's guest at one of the Hawaiian isles. But we still rent a car and go to various places all around each isle when we are there, just stay in one spot. Two of our best trips were a few days in Barcelona, Spain and then driving to Paris and staying in Bordeaux on the way there. And the other was a few days in Rome, train to Venice a few days, train to Florence a few more and then driving into Tuscany to stay one location and drive around several days. I just like the flexibility of being able to plan a trip with multiple short stays in various locations. Really looking forward to driving all around central Spain with multiple stays in paradores before staying in Madrid the last 4 days to hit all the museums.

    I do it both ways. Two weeks ago I did a "road trip" through Kansas and parts of Missouri/Nebraska/Colorado. I also use timeshares. In June I am staying in Rhode Island, in August in French Lick, Indiana.

    Assuming I do the Houston game for my fall trip, which is what I am now thinking, that will be a "road trip" like you describe...I will follow the Natchez Trace beginning in Nashville, then a couple of days in New Orleans, a couple in Lafayette La., three nights in Houston before heading home.

    My wife likes a trip where we have a few "down days"....where she can just relax at the resort a bit in addition to a few days of sightseeing.

  • Just curious Gip how old are you now and did you always travel?

    I used to travel every year until I was in an auto accident which has slowed me way down. I'll be 67 in September mentally I sure don't act or feel 67 more like 27.

    Did a fair amount of traveling for work seminars, plant visits and troubleshooting in my 20s and 30s. We also went on vacation every year even before we were married only repeat visit was Oahu, Hawai'i. Our honeymoon was to Mexico City and Acapulco, great trip!

  • Just curious Gip how old are you now and did you always travel?

    I used to travel every year until I was in an auto accident which has slowed me way down. I'll be 67 in September mentally I sure don't act or feel 67 more like 27.

    Did a fair amount of traveling for work seminars, plant visits and troubleshooting in my 20s and 30s. We also went on vacation every year even before we were married only repeat visit was Oahu, Hawai'i. Our honeymoon was to Mexico City and Acapulco, great trip!

    @mjp28 said:

    Just curious Gip how old are you now and did you always travel?

    I used to travel every year until I was in an auto accident which has slowed me way down. I'll be 67 in September mentally I sure don't act or feel 67 more like 27.

    Did a fair amount of traveling for work seminars, plant visits and troubleshooting in my 20s and 30s. We also went on vacation every year even before we were married only repeat visit was Oahu, Hawai'i. Our honeymoon was to Mexico City and Acapulco, great trip!

    I am 65. I think you can say that I have been traveling as a "serious hobby" since about 1997., but I would travel quite a bit before that. When we were kids in the 50s and 60s my Dad would take us on summer vacations to the Smoky Mtns, Shenandoah, New England. Camping trips. In college I would do spring break to Florida a few years. I also did some "guy" trips back then....went to Maine, Colorado and few other spots. I then started going to Kiwanis Conventions in 1985...Toronto, St. Louis, Montreal, DC, Anaheim, Denver, Miami, Nashville. I bought my timeshare while at a Kiwanis Convention in Las Vegas. That is when I started really keeping track. I had a goal to have been in all 50 states by the time I was 50, and I did that. Hit the last two: Hawaii in 2001 and Alaska in 2002...when I was 50. I have been on a National Park kick since. At one time I had been to every designated National Park in Continental US....but then they added one out in Calif. that I have not been to yet (Pinnacles). There are now 59 national parks. I have been to 52. The one newest one in Cal., one in American Samoa...and 5 in Alaska, which are unreachable by auto. You must take a float plane to get to them.

    There are a total of 417 National Park units (inclusive of the 59 national parks). I have now been to 326 of them. (They have actually added 5 to the total just this year.).

    I have concentrated mostly on the USA....but I have actually also been to all of these Canadian Provinces:: British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, Newfoundland and The Yukon. The only ones I have not been to are Nunavut and the Northwest Territories.

    I have only been to Europe twice and visited England, France and Ireland. (but I do have 5-6 places I do want to see in the future) A few times, before it was super crazy, I took a couple of trips just over the border into Mexico...at Tijuana and Nogales. Plus I did spend a week in Puerto Vallarta. Would not do the border thing now. I have been to the Caribbean only a couple of times, to the Cayman Islands and to St. John/St. Thomas USVI. I do have St. Croix and Puerto Rico on my bucket list as the only remaining Carrib. spots I have much interest in.

    I have never been on a cruise. (though, my wife would love to do that)

    Would I go? Maybe..if one made a stop in PR of St. Cx for a couple of days, but they don't do that.

    Never been to S. America, Asia or Australia.

    Edit: note, I have just been on my travel chat room in the last few days and the subject of Acapulco came up. Everyone warned against going there, as it is now a major city that has turned into a basic shithole. It is apparently very dirty now, and overrun with drug violence. Too bad.....when I was young Acapulco was considered the cool place in Mexico to visit. No longer. Lucky you got there before things turned to shit.

    Puerto Vallarta was cool though. But I have no plans to ever re-visit Mexico.

  • @mjp28 said:

    Just curious Gip how old are you now and did you always travel?

    I used to travel every year until I was in an auto accident which has slowed me way down. I'll be 67 in September mentally I sure don't act or feel 67 more like 27.

    Did a fair amount of traveling for work seminars, plant visits and troubleshooting in my 20s and 30s. We also went on vacation every year even before we were married only repeat visit was Oahu, Hawai'i. Our honeymoon was to Mexico City and Acapulco, great trip!

    I am 65. I think you can say that I have been traveling as a "serious hobby" since about 1997., but I would travel quite a bit before that. When we were kids in the 50s and 60s my Dad would take us on summer vacations to the Smoky Mtns, Shenandoah, New England. Camping trips. In college I would do spring break to Florida a few years. I also did some "guy" trips back then....went to Maine, Colorado and few other spots. I then started going to Kiwanis Conventions in 1985...Toronto, St. Louis, Montreal, DC, Anaheim, Denver, Miami, Nashville. I bought my timeshare while at a Kiwanis Convention in Las Vegas. That is when I started really keeping track. I had a goal to have been in all 50 states by the time I was 50, and I did that. Hit the last two: Hawaii in 2001 and Alaska in 2002...when I was 50. I have been on a National Park kick since. At one time I had been to every designated National Park in Continental US....but then they added one out in Calif. that I have not been to yet (Pinnacles). There are now 59 national parks. I have been to 52. The one newest one in Cal., one in American Samoa...and 5 in Alaska, which are unreachable by auto. You must take a float plane to get to them.

    There are a total of 417 National Park units (inclusive of the 59 national parks). I have now been to 326 of them. (They have actually added 5 to the total just this year.).

    I have concentrated mostly on the USA....but I have actually also been to all of these Canadian Provinces:: British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, Newfoundland and The Yukon. The only ones I have not been to are Nunavut and the Northwest Territories.

    I have only been to Europe twice and visited England, France and Ireland. (but I do have 5-6 places I do want to see in the future) A few times, before it was super crazy, I took a couple of trips just over the border into Mexico...at Tijuana and Nogales. Plus I did spend a week in Puerto Vallarta. Would not do the border thing now. I have been to the Caribbean only a couple of times, to the Cayman Islands and to St. John/St. Thomas USVI. I do have St. Croix and Puerto Rico on my bucket list as the only remaining Carrib. spots I have much interest in.

    I have never been on a cruise. (though, my wife would love to do that)

    Would I go? Maybe..if one made a stop in PR of St. Cx for a couple of days, but they don't do that.

    Never been to S. America, Asia or Australia.

    Edit: note, I have just been on my travel chat room in the last few days and the subject of Acapulco came up. Everyone warned against going there, as it is now a major city that has turned into a basic shithole. It is apparently very dirty now, and overrun with drug violence. Too bad.....when I was young Acapulco was considered the cool place in Mexico to visit. No longer. Lucky you got there before things turned to shit.

    Puerto Vallarta was cool though. But I have no plans to ever re-visit Mexico.

    @the-gipper said:

    ......

    Edit: note, I have just been on my travel chat room in the last few days and the subject of Acapulco came up. Everyone warned against going there, as it is now a major city that has turned into a basic shithole. It is apparently very dirty now, and overrun with drug violence. Too bad.....when I was young Acapulco was considered the cool place in Mexico to visit. No longer. Lucky you got there before things turned to shit.

    Puerto Vallarta was cool though. But I have no plans to ever re-visit Mexico.

    We went to Mexico in 1981, 36 years ago, the "old" peso/$USD exchange rate was 25:1 I only wish I had an empty suitcase for the great deals I passed up in particular some sweaters and a hand tooled leather attache case way better than my Ohio leather case. I had two memorable meals at French restaurants of all places in the "Zona Rosa" in Mexico City. There was a lot to do in Mexico City but stay in the "Americanized" hotels where you can drink the water, I hoped to return but never did.

    Then on to Acapulco the flight over on Mexicana airlines was memorable because my seat wasn't completely bolted to the floor but Alcapulco was nice, just finished redoing the main road through town. My rental car was a piece of junk but it was a memorable trip. When we drove over to the cliff divers and Love Boat dock someone stole my sandals out of my car -but- that was the only thing that was bad on the whole trip. Still I'd prefer Waikiki to Acapulco.

    My wife took a cruise with fellow nursing 50ers about 10 years ago went on the Western route Ft. Lauderdale/ Key West / Cozumel/ Belize / Ft. Lauderdale. Great deal, she found it in a Walmart ad, took it to our travel agent and she matched it! About $450 for the whole trip, I booked land excursions and air, $858 total. (I was always good at that stuff.) I was on Caribbean cruises years back, I'd prefer the Western routes now.

    Would I ever go to Mexico now, never.

  • Actually, the well known tourist areas in Mexico of PV, Cancun, Mazatlan and a few more are fine from what I understand. As I said, I get a lot of info from my travel chat board on this subject. For whatever reason the Mexicans want their tourists safe in those parts of the country. There is one guy there that spends two weeks a year in Mexico...and has no problems.

    But not the border areas. Not Tijuana/Nogales/Juarez etc. You don't want to go there, but PV, Cancun you would be OK.

  • How about Belize? I heard it's crime ridden, although they have a lot of ads spouting about how great it is to retire there.

  • How about Belize? I heard it's crime ridden, although they have a lot of ads spouting about how great it is to retire there.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    How about Belize? I heard it's crime ridden, although they have a lot of ads spouting about how great it is to retire there.

    From Belize.com, they think it's nice. 😉

    https://www.belize.com/top-ten-reasons-to-live-or-retire-in-belize

  • How about Belize? I heard it's crime ridden, although they have a lot of ads spouting about how great it is to retire there.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    How about Belize? I heard it's crime ridden, although they have a lot of ads spouting about how great it is to retire there.

    My neighbor here in my office building owns a condo in Belize. I will have to ask him about it.

    Or how about this: have any of you all spent time in Puerto Rico. Its on my bucket list, sort of. My choices for going there are that I could spend an entire week in a timeshare.......or I could accede to my wife's desire to take a cruise sometime and schedule that makes a stop there in San Juan for a day. (or....one that departs from there).

    Is Puerto Rico worth an entire week's stay...or just a day or so?

  • Never been there. I know people who were stationed there that liked it, and others that hated it.

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    How about Belize? I heard it's crime ridden, although they have a lot of ads spouting about how great it is to retire there.

    My neighbor here in my office building owns a condo in Belize. I will have to ask him about it.

    Or how about this: have any of you all spent time in Puerto Rico. Its on my bucket list, sort of. My choices for going there are that I could spend an entire week in a timeshare.......or I could accede to my wife's desire to take a cruise sometime and schedule that makes a stop there in San Juan for a day. (or....one that departs from there).

    Is Puerto Rico worth an entire week's stay...or just a day or so?

    @the-gipper said:

    My neighbor here in my office building owns a condo in Belize. I will have to ask him about it.

    Or how about this: have any of you all spent time in Puerto Rico. Its on my bucket list, sort of. My choices for going there are that I could spend an entire week in a timeshare.......or I could accede to my wife's desire to take a cruise sometime and schedule that makes a stop there in San Juan for a day. (or....one that departs from there).

    Is Puerto Rico worth an entire week's stay...or just a day or so?

    I was in the hospital in 2015, 2016 and this year in 2017. In 2015 I was in for 4 months got a nasty kidney infection among other things all while in for other things but one really nice nurse was from PR. Talked a lot about her home she was an RN there but could not work in the states as an RN, went back to school here as an LPN. Her husband and two kids live here now, work is bad there. PR even though it is affiliated with the US is financially in bad shape.

    One fellow patient was visiting here from PR and had a heart attack here....he often said thank God because he said the medical care is so bad there. He retired from a steel mill here, relocated back to PR to be closer to family but might not return.

    As far as travel now I don't know but my in laws visited Old San Juan about 30 years ago it was OK but preferred Hawaii, been there 26 times, my father in law was in WWII in some real hell holes in the Pacific and did R&R on Waikiki and loved it there.

    I've been to the Bahamas in the 1970s and 1980s never PR but prefer Hawaii too. Never been to Jamaica (considered it for our honeymoon but passed) have heard some bad stories there unless you stick to the hotel grounds....I've always been the adventurous type, give me a map and a car.

    Wherever you go it's always nice to return to the good ol' USA! OH when in Mexico City in a 17 story hotel I watched them putting wet rags on the elevator motors because they were overheating and would shut down.....being a maintenance foreman at USSTEEL I was horrified at the site of that. 😮

  • Sounds like a cruise either from San Juan, or stopping there for a day is about all you need of it, eh?