Skip to content

The '86 Browns

The Browns Board
38 16 1.5k
  • Pretty sure that field goal missed

  • That was fun to watch... thanks!

  • Pretty sure that field goal missed

    @londonbrown said:

    Pretty sure that field goal missed

    Wide left, yes.

    That was a fun season. They laid an egg at home vs the Packers and then went on a tear.We'll never know, but the way they were playing I bet they would have beat the NYG in the Super Bowl.

  • Never saw that vid before... tend to forget the USFL influx in '85.

    I know I harp on QB release, but I'd forgotten just how quick Bernie's was. At the 4:36 mark he "slings" it. Threw with such a low arm angle he barely raised the ball. Just short back, low and gone... The 5:10 mark starts a series of three throws all from different camera angles starting with a side angle that did include a pat and a tad more reaching back, but still plenty quick, followed by a uber-quick TOR and a gorgeously placed sideline ball after a slide-right in the pocket... gorgeous footwork,

    Excepting the Don Rogers segment... the whole thing made me smile...

  • Yeah that was good shit. Im not hopeful about that kind of team being resurrected in cleveland again tho. "They were scared to come to cleveland, the fans hated ur guts and the team was gonna kick ur ass so u got beat up twice"......fav line. Aint happenin again with coaches being shown the door every other year. Thats just an inescapable fact some of u cant grasp.

  • Pretty sure that field goal missed

    @londonbrown said:

    Pretty sure that field goal missed

    Karliss missed, no doubt in my mind.

  • @londonbrown said:

    Pretty sure that field goal missed

    Karliss missed, no doubt in my mind.

    @the-gipper said:

    Karliss missed, no doubt in my mind.

    Yep...he did....

  • A short (ish) video that I found enjoyable

    @londonbrown said:

    A short (ish) video that I found enjoyable

    Why do we love the BROWNS? A lot of it is because of those teams and teams prior to that.

    Too bad since the BROWNS v2.0 it has been somewhat tarnished due to the FO miscues.

    GO BROWNS!

  • Only time I can remember being nervous in that Jets playoff game was when Mosely trotted out for his FGs.

    Was he the last of the straight-on kickers?

  • Only time I can remember being nervous in that Jets playoff game was when Mosely trotted out for his FGs.

    Was he the last of the straight-on kickers?

    @tour2ma said:

    Only time I can remember being nervous in that Jets playoff game was when Mosely trotted out for his FGs.

    Was he the last of the straight-on kickers?

    The Jets game was the last playoff game I attended.

    If it weren't for a bottle of Jack Daniels we snuck inside, I would've froze to death.

    Now that you mention Mosely, he was the last non-soccer style kicker I can recall (could've been the Jack Daniels too).

  • I remember that game against the Jets like it was last week... Thank you, Mark Gastineau for letting your emotions run away from you...

  • I remember that game against the Jets like it was last week... Thank you, Mark Gastineau for letting your emotions run away from you...

    @nickers said:

    I remember that game against the Jets like it was last week... Thank you, Mark Gastineau for letting your emotions run away from you...

    ... and thank you Bernie from getting up...

  • amazing what a good QB can do with some weapons. amazing how a good OL gets better practicing against a good DL. Then came my favorites Minnifield,Dixon & Wright..Slaughter was our WR, but our back end had their fair share..Thanks for the video. those were the good times had by all..WOOF WOOF!!

  • That footage of dixon and minny open field tackling, i mean my god. They dont make em much like that anymore. Thosr guys were grown ass men

  • Amazing video.

  • That footage of dixon and minny open field tackling, i mean my god. They dont make em much like that anymore. Thosr guys were grown ass men

    @clevfan4life said:

    That footage of dixon and minny open field tackling, i mean my god. They dont make em much like that anymore. Thosr guys were grown ass men

    ... and closing and leaping...

    Not as many shots of Hanford making plays, but then no one threw at him in '86. Saw/heard a stat once where there was some ridiculously low number of passes in his direction one year. Something like 17(?)... I think it was in the "CB Duos", Top Ten...show.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Only time I can remember being nervous in that Jets playoff game was when Mosely trotted out for his FGs.

    Was he the last of the straight-on kickers?

    The Jets game was the last playoff game I attended.

    If it weren't for a bottle of Jack Daniels we snuck inside, I would've froze to death.

    Now that you mention Mosely, he was the last non-soccer style kicker I can recall (could've been the Jack Daniels too).

    @canton-dawg said:

    The Jets game was the last playoff game I attended.

    If it weren't for a bottle of Jack Daniels we snuck inside, I would've froze to death.

    Now that you mention Mosely, he was the last non-soccer style kicker I can recall (could've been the Jack Daniels too).

    Yes he retired after the 1986 season. There were still a few egg head barefoot kickers back then, why I don't know. (Oh yeah like Karlis.) In high school in the mid to late 1960s I did some kicking and had a square toe shoe but soccer style is superior.

    And the mid 1980s BROWNS did rule!

  • It was also fun to watch Safety Ray Ellis (#24) sticking people hard enough to cause turnovers. When we've made the playoffs, we had really good Safeties like Don Rodgers, Ray Ellis, and Eric Turner. I'm glad this draft is really strong at Safety. It's about time we get a good one again.

  • That was GREAT FUN ! Seems that the passion then is not the passion for years. And it's the years of

    pitiful drafting mistakes - great athletic bodies at the combine - with no heart. No heart at all - but doing

    the work to get the money.

    The best part, to me, was Kosar and Reggie talking about being aggressive in big games vs a defense that

    liked to blitz. LOL. And, like Reggie said, "It always worked"...

    Oh, that is great football. I'll take a player like those guys every time - a player that loves the game, wants to win,

    over a super physical talent that just isn't loving the game at all. Josh Cribbs talked about it different times when he

    was playing - some guys didn't care, some guys were prima donnas who weren't disciplined - a mix for failure.

    Those Browns LOVED the battle - they laughed at the struggle, had pride in giving it their all. They loved fighting

    to win the games. Those Browns had that in common - they loved the challenge, the fight to win. That's how to build

    a team - have a lot of guys like that in the same place.

  • It was also fun to watch Safety Ray Ellis (#24) sticking people hard enough to cause turnovers. When we've made the playoffs, we had really good Safeties like Don Rodgers, Ray Ellis, and Eric Turner. I'm glad this draft is really strong at Safety. It's about time we get a good one again.

    @flugel said:

    Safeties like Don Rodgers, Ray Ellis, and Eric Turner. ....... It's about time we get a good one again.

    Im the only one....Im sure.....

    but, considering we drafted 2 DE's in our first 4 picks last draft, Id be willing to advocate a short trade back for Jamal Adams.....who could be our next Don Rogers.....

    Just like the DE position....safety offers lots of talent later in the draft....but only one premier guy at the top.....and the Browns have several developing-viable DE's.......but NO developing viable Safetys.....

    So, we can stack another DE on top of Ogbah/Bryant/Nassib.....or add a difference maker to the DB group that has a great big zero in the bag.....