Skip to content

Hue Jackson: Browns won't trade No. 1 overall pick

The Browns Board
81 26 2.3k
  • @the-gipper said:

    I think Elway is serious when he says he has no interest in Romo. And Romo has a big roster bonus due on April 17 if he is still with the team. So, I think he gets cut by then. Then, in my mind, the only question is whether or not the Texans would want him. Otherwise, he will be doing TV and be retired.

    I am really torn because we have 2 guys that might turn out to be quality starters or we could have a couple of Oswieler's in the wing. I have no idea how the staff truly feels about them because our o-line was horrible last year so it was hard for fans to judge and I am not sure if the staff feels the same way or if they were able to make some legit evaluations. If the numbers are right I could see us bringing him in and trading one of the 2 for some form of o-line upgrade. Its not like we would have all our eggs in on the Romo basket as the guy that would be the starter would just be his backup (and they both could use more development time anyways). Heck we could even keep both of them.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #51

    @broncolurker said:

    I am really torn because we have 2 guys that might turn out to be quality starters or we could have a couple of Oswieler's in the wing. I have no idea how the staff truly feels about them because our o-line was horrible last year so it was hard for fans to judge and I am not sure if the staff feels the same way or if they were able to make some legit evaluations. If the numbers are right I could see us bringing him in and trading one of the 2 for some form of o-line upgrade. Its not like we would have all our eggs in on the Romo basket as the guy that would be the starter would just be his backup (and they both could use more development time anyways). Heck we could even keep both of them.

    Regarding your o-line, you probably heard Joe Thomas isn't going anywhere. From our POV it would be great if he finishes his HOF career in Cleveland.

  • @wargograw said:

    Brady will play 1-2 more years like every other QB.

    If he gets hurt, yes, 1 or 2. If he stays healthy? More...

    @texasag1969 said:

    Agree completely.

    I don't think Elway wants to trade for Romo, but if he's released I'd expect him to have a convo w/ Tony...

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @tour2ma said:

    If he gets hurt, yes, 1 or 2. If he stays healthy? More...

    I don't think Elway wants to trade for Romo, but if he's released I'd expect him to have a convo w/ Tony...

    Won't matter IMO. He'll hit the 40 year old wall like 99.99% of men that have ever lived.

  • @tour2ma said:

    If he gets hurt, yes, 1 or 2. If he stays healthy? More...

    I don't think Elway wants to trade for Romo, but if he's released I'd expect him to have a convo w/ Tony...

    Won't matter IMO. He'll hit the 40 year old wall like 99.99% of men that have ever lived.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #53

    @wargograw said:

    Won't matter IMO. He'll hit the 40 year old wall like 99.99% of men that have ever lived.

    Or at least the ones who played QB in the NFL. I googled up the oldest. Age 44 seems the max when you exclude the kicker Blanda since he really only kicked the last 5-6 years. Deberg was 44 when he retired. The others have ages listed at the end of each summary.

    http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/7-oldest-nfl-quarterbacks-of-all-time.html/?a=viewall

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #54

    The wall that Peyton Manning hit at the end of 2014 is coming for Brady. This is a guy who broke every single season record around just the year before. I am a fan of his, but Brady ain't superman.

  • The wall that Peyton Manning hit at the end of 2014 is coming for Brady. This is a guy who broke every single season record around just the year before. I am a fan of his, but Brady ain't superman.

    One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
    #55

    @wargograw said:

    The wall that Peyton Manning hit at the end of 2014 is coming for Brady. This is a guy who broke every single season record around just the year before. I am a fan of his, but Brady ain't superman.

    I agree wargonewrong.
  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #56

    To be fair to manning his wall was that neck injury. You guys seen farve throwing lately? He could easily still make every throw that rodgers makes, just couldn't play in clev he'd get killed

  • To be fair to manning his wall was that neck injury. You guys seen farve throwing lately? He could easily still make every throw that rodgers makes, just couldn't play in clev he'd get killed

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #57

    @clevfan4life said:

    To be fair to manning his wall wasbthat neck injury. You guys seen farve throwing lately? He could easily still make every throw that rodgers makes, just couldnt play in clev he'd get killed

    A guy throwing around short passes in a closed area is laughable.

    http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/brett-favre-throwing-passes-47-years-old-atlanta-falcons-robert-alford-032217

  • @wargograw said:

    Won't matter IMO. He'll hit the 40 year old wall like 99.99% of men that have ever lived.

    Or at least the ones who played QB in the NFL. I googled up the oldest. Age 44 seems the max when you exclude the kicker Blanda since he really only kicked the last 5-6 years. Deberg was 44 when he retired. The others have ages listed at the end of each summary.

    http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/7-oldest-nfl-quarterbacks-of-all-time.html/?a=viewall

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #58

    @texasag1969 said:

    Or at least the ones who played QB in the NFL. I googled up the oldest. Age 44 seems the max when you exclude the kicker Blanda since he really only kicked the last 5-6 years. Deberg was 44 when he retired. The others have ages listed at the end of each summary.

    http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/7-oldest-nfl-quarterbacks-of-all-time.html/?a=viewall

    And at 44 he completed 55% of his 58 passes...

    Appears he still "kicking"... approaching his 90th birthday.

    Back on Romo... still expect Elway to make a UFA play for him. You hand him the job and so long as he is able he starts. Can't see a better way to increase the odds of a SB for a franchise that is still in "win now" mode.

    If Tony does get hurt, then what do you have? Apparently a great mentor in the QB room for two inexperienced kids, Siemian and Lynch. I think Tony proved he could be all of that last season in Dallas.

    Bottom line: The odds of Romo's 16+ game "survival" may be long, but there's no downside beyond that to sign him... and no better alternative.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    To be fair to manning his wall wasbthat neck injury. You guys seen farve throwing lately? He could easily still make every throw that rodgers makes, just couldnt play in clev he'd get killed

    A guy throwing around short passes in a closed area is laughable.

    http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/brett-favre-throwing-passes-47-years-old-atlanta-falcons-robert-alford-032217

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #59

    @texasag1969 said:

    A guy throwing around short passes in a closed area is laughable.

    http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/brett-favre-throwing-passes-47-years-old-atlanta-falcons-robert-alford-032217

    Oh they showed him last year throwing bombs and bullets to his kids outside

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #60

    And dude just that video of him in his civvies, thise are rifle shots. C'mon dude...in his street clothes....the gun is still there. That delivery jesus christ. Theres 20 yr olds in thebleague that cant rope it like that

  • @wargograw said:

    Won't matter IMO. He'll hit the 40 year old wall like 99.99% of men that have ever lived.

    Or at least the ones who played QB in the NFL. I googled up the oldest. Age 44 seems the max when you exclude the kicker Blanda since he really only kicked the last 5-6 years. Deberg was 44 when he retired. The others have ages listed at the end of each summary.

    http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/7-oldest-nfl-quarterbacks-of-all-time.html/?a=viewall

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #61

    @texasag1969 said:

    Or at least the ones who played QB in the NFL. I googled up the oldest. Age 44 seems the max when you exclude the kicker Blanda since he really only kicked the last 5-6 years. Deberg was 44 when he retired. The others have ages listed at the end of each summary.

    http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/7-oldest-nfl-quarterbacks-of-all-time.html/?a=viewall

    They didn't put Brett Favre on that list. Didn't he play until he was like 42 or more?

  • D domcucch1994 wrote on last edited by
    #62

    Hell I would love to have Favre/Romo throwing bombs to Flash Gordon this season

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Or at least the ones who played QB in the NFL. I googled up the oldest. Age 44 seems the max when you exclude the kicker Blanda since he really only kicked the last 5-6 years. Deberg was 44 when he retired. The others have ages listed at the end of each summary.

    http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/7-oldest-nfl-quarterbacks-of-all-time.html/?a=viewall

    They didn't put Brett Favre on that list. Didn't he play until he was like 42 or more?

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #63

    @the-gipper said:

    They didn't put Brett Favre on that list. Didn't he play until he was like 42 or more?

    Retired in 2010 so he was 41.

  • LogicIsForSquaresL LogicIsForSquares wrote on last edited by
    #64

    Testaverde played a long time as well.

  • And dude just that video of him in his civvies, thise are rifle shots. C'mon dude...in his street clothes....the gun is still there. That delivery jesus christ. Theres 20 yr olds in thebleague that cant rope it like that

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #65

    @clevfan4life said:

    And dude just that video of him in his civvies, thise are rifle shots. C'mon dude...in his street clothes....the gun is still there. That delivery jesus christ. Theres 20 yr olds in thebleague that cant rope it like that

    I think you've been watching Cleveland QBs way too long if you think he still has it. LOL! 😆

  • @broncolurker said:

    I am really torn because we have 2 guys that might turn out to be quality starters or we could have a couple of Oswieler's in the wing. I have no idea how the staff truly feels about them because our o-line was horrible last year so it was hard for fans to judge and I am not sure if the staff feels the same way or if they were able to make some legit evaluations. If the numbers are right I could see us bringing him in and trading one of the 2 for some form of o-line upgrade. Its not like we would have all our eggs in on the Romo basket as the guy that would be the starter would just be his backup (and they both could use more development time anyways). Heck we could even keep both of them.

    Regarding your o-line, you probably heard Joe Thomas isn't going anywhere. From our POV it would be great if he finishes his HOF career in Cleveland.

    B BroncoLurker wrote on last edited by
    #66

    @hoorta said:

    Regarding your o-line, you probably heard Joe Thomas isn't going anywhere. From our POV it would be great if he finishes his HOF career in Cleveland.

    yeah, I see him staying in Cleveland until he retires. Although it wouldn't surprise me to see him get traded at the end of his prime if Cleveland isn't competitive, to help the Browns get prospects, give him a chance at a superbowl and obviously help the other team. I see our fans bring his name up on message boards in a trade scenario all the time, but fans come up unrealistic trades all the time because the other teams would never go for them.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Or at least the ones who played QB in the NFL. I googled up the oldest. Age 44 seems the max when you exclude the kicker Blanda since he really only kicked the last 5-6 years. Deberg was 44 when he retired. The others have ages listed at the end of each summary.

    http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/7-oldest-nfl-quarterbacks-of-all-time.html/?a=viewall

    And at 44 he completed 55% of his 58 passes...

    Appears he still "kicking"... approaching his 90th birthday.

    Back on Romo... still expect Elway to make a UFA play for him. You hand him the job and so long as he is able he starts. Can't see a better way to increase the odds of a SB for a franchise that is still in "win now" mode.

    If Tony does get hurt, then what do you have? Apparently a great mentor in the QB room for two inexperienced kids, Siemian and Lynch. I think Tony proved he could be all of that last season in Dallas.

    Bottom line: The odds of Romo's 16+ game "survival" may be long, but there's no downside beyond that to sign him... and no better alternative.

    B BroncoLurker wrote on last edited by BroncoLurker
    #67

    @tour2ma said:

    Back on Romo... still expect Elway to make a UFA play for him. You hand him the job and so long as he is able he starts. Can't see a better way to increase the odds of a SB for a franchise that is still in "win now" mode.

    If Tony does get hurt, then what do you have? Apparently a great mentor in the QB room for two inexperienced kids, Siemian and Lynch. I think Tony proved he could be all of that last season in Dallas.

    Bottom line: The odds of Romo's 16+ game "survival" may be long, but there's no downside beyond that to sign him... and no better alternative.

    Some of our fans are really opposed to it because they feel that it could hinder our development with the qb's, kind of how they feel about how the Manning situation played out. I disagree, we had BO in the wings and I am not sure if we don't have a similar thing right now. I think we would try to trade one of the 2 younger guys to get a little more help as there really aren't enough reps for 3 qbs. One of the younger guys wouldn't get the development he needs. I am with you though, I think the only shot we have at a SB is with Romo (that feels so wrong saying that).

  • @tour2ma said:

    Back on Romo... still expect Elway to make a UFA play for him. You hand him the job and so long as he is able he starts. Can't see a better way to increase the odds of a SB for a franchise that is still in "win now" mode.

    If Tony does get hurt, then what do you have? Apparently a great mentor in the QB room for two inexperienced kids, Siemian and Lynch. I think Tony proved he could be all of that last season in Dallas.

    Bottom line: The odds of Romo's 16+ game "survival" may be long, but there's no downside beyond that to sign him... and no better alternative.

    Some of our fans are really opposed to it because they feel that it could hinder our development with the qb's, kind of how they feel about how the Manning situation played out. I disagree, we had BO in the wings and I am not sure if we don't have a similar thing right now. I think we would try to trade one of the 2 younger guys to get a little more help as there really aren't enough reps for 3 qbs. One of the younger guys wouldn't get the development he needs. I am with you though, I think the only shot we have at a SB is with Romo (that feels so wrong saying that).

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #68

    @broncolurker said:

    Some of our fans are really opposed to it because they feel that it could hinder our development with the qb's, kind of how they feel about how the Manning situation played out. I disagree, we had BO in the wings and I am not sure if we don't have a similar thing right now. I think we would try to trade one of the 2 younger guys to get a little more help as there really aren't enough reps for 3 qbs. One of the younger guys wouldn't get the development he needs. I am with you though, I think the only shot we have at a SB is with Romo (that feels so wrong saying that).

    You have no shot at a SB with Romo....that is why it feels so wrong.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    And dude just that video of him in his civvies, thise are rifle shots. C'mon dude...in his street clothes....the gun is still there. That delivery jesus christ. Theres 20 yr olds in thebleague that cant rope it like that

    I think you've been watching Cleveland QBs way too long if you think he still has it. LOL! 😆

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #69

    @texasag1969 said:

    I think you've been watching Cleveland QBs way too long if you think he still has it. LOL! 😆

    Oh hush, i mean...ur not wrong about lowered expectations from watching browns qb's, but that video and one from last year theowing outside are self explanatory. His cannon hasnt left him

  • @tour2ma said:

    Back on Romo... still expect Elway to make a UFA play for him. You hand him the job and so long as he is able he starts. Can't see a better way to increase the odds of a SB for a franchise that is still in "win now" mode.

    If Tony does get hurt, then what do you have? Apparently a great mentor in the QB room for two inexperienced kids, Siemian and Lynch. I think Tony proved he could be all of that last season in Dallas.

    Bottom line: The odds of Romo's 16+ game "survival" may be long, but there's no downside beyond that to sign him... and no better alternative.

    Some of our fans are really opposed to it because they feel that it could hinder our development with the qb's, kind of how they feel about how the Manning situation played out. I disagree, we had BO in the wings and I am not sure if we don't have a similar thing right now. I think we would try to trade one of the 2 younger guys to get a little more help as there really aren't enough reps for 3 qbs. One of the younger guys wouldn't get the development he needs. I am with you though, I think the only shot we have at a SB is with Romo (that feels so wrong saying that).

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #70

    @broncolurker said:

    Some of our fans are really opposed to it because they feel that it could hinder our development with the qb's, kind of how they feel about how the Manning situation played out. I disagree, we had BO in the wings and I am not sure if we don't have a similar thing right now. I think we would try to trade one of the 2 younger guys to get a little more help as there really aren't enough reps for 3 qbs. One of the younger guys wouldn't get the development he needs. I am with you though, I think the only shot we have at a SB is with Romo (that feels so wrong saying that).

    I can see fans thinking that way... My take was it was not Manning's playing that hurt BO, it was the insertion of a clearly, still hurting Manning to complete the SB run. All's well that ends well sounds good, but clearly was not a sentiment BO shared.

    But now? Now you swap one year's development of two suspect, QB prospects for a SB shot in a heartbeat.

    Siemian is a nice QB. He has the look of a quality backup, who will make a run or two more at starting for a team in his career.

    Lynch? Did not like him coming out of college... still don't.