Skip to content

Schefter: Browns still split between taking Garrett and Trubisky with #1 pick

The Browns Board
144 30 3.5k
  • @the-gipper said:

    In MY opinion, you are right. I think there is actually little difference in talent between Garrett and some of the other pass rushers in this draft.

    In fact, I will make this prediction: Even if the Browns take him Gayrett will prove to be only perhaps the 3rd or 4th best pass rusher to come out of this draft. Thomas, Barnett and others could easily surpass him.

    I believe, however, that there is a bigger gap between MT and the other QBs than there is between Garrett and the other pass rushers.

    And let me ask this question: Can Garrett, if we take him, move to the OLB slot? We have more depth at DE than we do at OLB.

    If he and Obgah and Nassib and etc. could all be on the field at once (Garrett taking over the OLB slot held by Schobert), that, to me would be a better combination than having Garrett replace Nassib and leaving that OLB spot for Schobert.

    Could Garrett cover a TE or a RB? Can he stop the rush at the edges? As poor as the Browns were at sacks, they may have been worse at stopping the edge rushing. Can Garrett do that task?

    Gip did u just suggest the browns take a 6'4 275 lb hands in the dirt 4-3 blue chip DE......and make him a 4-3 olb'er? U know i love ya gip but please put the bottle down. Didnt we see how taking Front 4 players and making them play cover 1 is the worst idea in football history?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @clevfan4life said:

    Gip did u just suggest the browns take a 6'4 275 lb hands in the dirt 4-3 blue chip DE......and make him a 4-3 olb'er? U know i love ya gip but please put the bottle down. Didnt we see how taking Front 4 players and making them play cover 1 is the worst idea in football history?

    Well, I don't think I suggested it, but I did ask the question if it is possible....for, as I said, in my opinion we are in more dire need of an OLB with those skills than of a hands in the dirt DE.

    And I just wondered if Garrett could fit that bill.

    So, I assume, you think not?

  • @the-gipper said:

    Because....perhaps in their view MT is a much better QB prospect than Garropolo?

    Again, all y'all are imputing your own thoughts and opinions on to others. Those others being the Browns FO...and all of us on here that may disagree with your opinion.

    And somehow I thought the purpose of a board was to express...........................wait for it................................opinions.

    I've made no secret that I think Trubs is a choker when the important game is on the line. But the Browns should just go with your opinion and take a taller version of Romo 2.0.

    And though Watson may not be the prototypical pro QB, he wins somehow. Go figure.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    And somehow I thought the purpose of a board was to express...........................wait for it................................opinions.

    I've made no secret that I think Trubs is a choker when the important game is on the line. But the Browns should just go with your opinion and take a taller version of Romo 2.0.

    And though Watson may not be the prototypical pro QB, he wins somehow. Go figure.

    You're forgetting he had an epic two minute drill in the Stanford game where his receivers were dropping passes left and right that were hitting them in the hands. He was a missed two point conversion of tying the game.

    Watson might have "won" in college, but he also had 2X the talent at his disposal than Trubs. Flip the qb positions, and I'd put my money on Mitch to win a National Championship at Clemson.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    And somehow I thought the purpose of a board was to express...........................wait for it................................opinions.

    I've made no secret that I think Trubs is a choker when the important game is on the line. But the Browns should just go with your opinion and take a taller version of Romo 2.0.

    And though Watson may not be the prototypical pro QB, he wins somehow. Go figure.

    You're forgetting he had an epic two minute drill in the Stanford game where his receivers were dropping passes left and right that were hitting them in the hands. He was a missed two point conversion of tying the game.

    Watson might have "won" in college, but he also had 2X the talent at his disposal than Trubs. Flip the qb positions, and I'd put my money on Mitch to win a National Championship at Clemson.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969

    @hoorta said:

    You're forgetting he had an epic two minute drill in the Stanford game where his receivers were dropping passes left and right that were hitting them in the hands. He was a missed two point conversion of tying the game.

    Watson might have "won" in college, but he also had 2X the talent at his disposal than Trubs. Flip the qb positions, and I'd put my money on Mitch to win a National Championship at Clemson.

    He couldn't even hit his open receivers at the end of the rivalry game with NC St. A far cry from what we saw against what was considered to be an unbeatable BAMA defense. Sorry, he's a choker. 😵😛

  • @hoorta said:

    You're forgetting he had an epic two minute drill in the Stanford game where his receivers were dropping passes left and right that were hitting them in the hands. He was a missed two point conversion of tying the game.

    Watson might have "won" in college, but he also had 2X the talent at his disposal than Trubs. Flip the qb positions, and I'd put my money on Mitch to win a National Championship at Clemson.

    He couldn't even hit his open receivers at the end of the rivalry game with NC St. A far cry from what we saw against what was considered to be an unbeatable BAMA defense. Sorry, he's a choker. 😵😛

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    He couldn't even hit his open receivers at the end of the rivalry game with NC St. A far cry from what we saw against what was considered to be an unbeatable BAMA defense. Sorry, he's a choker. 😵😛

    I saw that game and he had drop after drop after drop. And his receivers alligator armed a few of those late passes....and in fact he threw multiple beautiful passes to get them back into position...all the while basically scrambling for his life the whole game.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    He couldn't even hit his open receivers at the end of the rivalry game with NC St. A far cry from what we saw against what was considered to be an unbeatable BAMA defense. Sorry, he's a choker. 😵😛

    I saw that game and he had drop after drop after drop. And his receivers alligator armed a few of those late passes....and in fact he threw multiple beautiful passes to get them back into position...all the while basically scrambling for his life the whole game.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    I saw that game and he had drop after drop after drop. And his receivers alligator armed a few of those late passes....and in fact he threw multiple beautiful passes to get them back into position...all the while basically scrambling for his life the whole game.

    That's why I compared him to Romo who often did the exact same thing only to falter in the stretch when it really counted. Never denied he wasn't a good player, just don't see him as a closer.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I saw that game and he had drop after drop after drop. And his receivers alligator armed a few of those late passes....and in fact he threw multiple beautiful passes to get them back into position...all the while basically scrambling for his life the whole game.

    That's why I compared him to Romo who often did the exact same thing only to falter in the stretch when it really counted. Never denied he wasn't a good player, just don't see him as a closer.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    That's why I compared him to Romo who often did the exact same thing only to falter in the stretch when it really counted. Never denied he wasn't a good player, just don't see him as a closer.

    Well, Romo had a what? 13 year NFL career to prove it? You are basing MT on one college game.

    I would reserve judgment just yet. I suspect that there were games in college that the NFL great QBs faltered in as well.

    I had documented where only 2 QBs in history have ever won both a college National Championship AND an NFL title:

    Joe Montana and Joe Namath. So, every other NFL champion QB faltered somewhere in college.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    Gip did u just suggest the browns take a 6'4 275 lb hands in the dirt 4-3 blue chip DE......and make him a 4-3 olb'er? U know i love ya gip but please put the bottle down. Didnt we see how taking Front 4 players and making them play cover 1 is the worst idea in football history?

    Well, I don't think I suggested it, but I did ask the question if it is possible....for, as I said, in my opinion we are in more dire need of an OLB with those skills than of a hands in the dirt DE.

    And I just wondered if Garrett could fit that bill.

    So, I assume, you think not?

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    So, I assume, you think not?[/color]

    I dont think i know. I mean he could have played the elephant in hortons system easily so he would have been asked to work in space ala how the steelers used harrison. But not a 4-3 olb'er, oh god no. He'd have to lose 20 or so lbs when i want him up in the low to mid 280's in a year or so. He puts another 5-10 lbs of pure muscle he'll be better at the point which is the "only" knock on this kid.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    And somehow I thought the purpose of a board was to express...........................wait for it................................opinions.

    I've made no secret that I think Trubs is a choker when the important game is on the line. But the Browns should just go with your opinion and take a taller version of Romo 2.0.

    And though Watson may not be the prototypical pro QB, he wins somehow. Go figure.

    You're forgetting he had an epic two minute drill in the Stanford game where his receivers were dropping passes left and right that were hitting them in the hands. He was a missed two point conversion of tying the game.

    Watson might have "won" in college, but he also had 2X the talent at his disposal than Trubs. Flip the qb positions, and I'd put my money on Mitch to win a National Championship at Clemson.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @hoorta said:

    You're forgetting he had an epic two minute drill in the Stanford game where his receivers were dropping passes left and right that were hitting them in the hands. He was a missed two point conversion of tying the game.

    True, but whose poor play, including a pick 6, early in the 4th necessitated that "epic" effort? 2 TDs, 2 INTs and a fumble is not a winning stat line.

    While I think "choker" is a bit harsh, there's little debate that on his biggest stage of his lone season in the sun, Trubs did not shine. And the stage is about to get bigger.

    Might he grow enough to handle it? Sure... but he also might be 2017's Blake Bortles. The tools are there, but will I simply don't like Mitch's odds... and I definitely do not like the price of those odds.

  • @hoorta said:

    You're forgetting he had an epic two minute drill in the Stanford game where his receivers were dropping passes left and right that were hitting them in the hands. He was a missed two point conversion of tying the game.

    True, but whose poor play, including a pick 6, early in the 4th necessitated that "epic" effort? 2 TDs, 2 INTs and a fumble is not a winning stat line.

    While I think "choker" is a bit harsh, there's little debate that on his biggest stage of his lone season in the sun, Trubs did not shine. And the stage is about to get bigger.

    Might he grow enough to handle it? Sure... but he also might be 2017's Blake Bortles. The tools are there, but will I simply don't like Mitch's odds... and I definitely do not like the price of those odds.

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73

    @tour2ma said:

    The tools are there, .. and I definitely do not like the price of those odds.

    How's the price around #6 To #12 over a Howard or Foster maybe?? I see you favor Watson over Mitch? is that with AJ McCarron gloves on or off in cold games? 😉 Edit--(I did find a Watson game with Elements in ND in 2015..He's not as awful as I once thought in it)

  • @tour2ma said:

    The tools are there, .. and I definitely do not like the price of those odds.

    How's the price around #6 To #12 over a Howard or Foster maybe?? I see you favor Watson over Mitch? is that with AJ McCarron gloves on or off in cold games? 😉 Edit--(I did find a Watson game with Elements in ND in 2015..He's not as awful as I once thought in it)

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by Mudfly

    @gumby73 said:

    I see you favor Watson over Mitch?

    A lot of us do......

    Tho....I still favor impact defensive players over both......

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by

    Whats funny is that I posted this exact same thread earlier in the week....except the rumor was Watson instead of Trubs....

    So....lots of buzz about the Browns making poor choices......again....

    Not matter how truthful(or not).....clearly the rest of the world doesnt trust them to do the right(smart) thing....

    No brainer VS no brains......which will it be???

  • R RoyceRolls wrote on last edited by RoyceRolls

    Drafting Watson after cutting RG3 is the football equivalent of not trusting a fart and then shitting your pants on purpose.

  • Drafting Watson after cutting RG3 is the football equivalent of not trusting a fart and then shitting your pants on purpose.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by

    @roycerolls said:

    Drafting Watson after cutting RG3 is the football equivalent of. It trusting a fart and then shitting your pants on purpose.

    Yeah...but whats a little more shit matter, when you already have a full load......???

  • Whats funny is that I posted this exact same thread earlier in the week....except the rumor was Watson instead of Trubs....

    So....lots of buzz about the Browns making poor choices......again....

    Not matter how truthful(or not).....clearly the rest of the world doesnt trust them to do the right(smart) thing....

    No brainer VS no brains......which will it be???

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @mudfly said:

    Whats funny is that I posted this exact same thread earlier in the week....except the rumor was Watson instead of Trubs....

    So....lots of buzz about the Browns making poor choices......again....

    Not matter how truthful(or not).....clearly the rest of the world doesnt trust them to do the right(smart) thing....

    No brainer VS no brains......which will it be???

    Again, "poor choices" are only identified through the test of time. All these first round busts the Browns have had over the years did not feel like poor choices at the time they were made. For the most part, we felt good about these choices. I guess we could go back in time and review the threads about the selections of Quinn/JMZ/Weeden/TR/Gilbert/Mingo etc. etc. etc. A lot of optimism I suspect.

    So...just remember, time is the test.

    The Eagles fan booed their "poor choice" of Donovan McNabb.

    It didn't turn out to such a poor choice.

    We thought we had gotten JBII when Trent Richardson knocked that helmet of the Eagles defender's head in his first game in the league. Turns out that was the highlight of his career.

  • @mudfly said:

    Whats funny is that I posted this exact same thread earlier in the week....except the rumor was Watson instead of Trubs....

    So....lots of buzz about the Browns making poor choices......again....

    Not matter how truthful(or not).....clearly the rest of the world doesnt trust them to do the right(smart) thing....

    No brainer VS no brains......which will it be???

    Again, "poor choices" are only identified through the test of time. All these first round busts the Browns have had over the years did not feel like poor choices at the time they were made. For the most part, we felt good about these choices. I guess we could go back in time and review the threads about the selections of Quinn/JMZ/Weeden/TR/Gilbert/Mingo etc. etc. etc. A lot of optimism I suspect.

    So...just remember, time is the test.

    The Eagles fan booed their "poor choice" of Donovan McNabb.

    It didn't turn out to such a poor choice.

    We thought we had gotten JBII when Trent Richardson knocked that helmet of the Eagles defender's head in his first game in the league. Turns out that was the highlight of his career.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    All these first round busts the Browns have had over the years did not feel like poor choices at the time they were made.

    I guess we could go back in time and review the threads about the selections\

    So...just remember, time is the test.

    Ok....sounds good....

    Please go back and read my comments on last years draft......so you can remember who said what.....

  • @hoorta said:

    You're forgetting he had an epic two minute drill in the Stanford game where his receivers were dropping passes left and right that were hitting them in the hands. He was a missed two point conversion of tying the game.

    Watson might have "won" in college, but he also had 2X the talent at his disposal than Trubs. Flip the qb positions, and I'd put my money on Mitch to win a National Championship at Clemson.

    He couldn't even hit his open receivers at the end of the rivalry game with NC St. A far cry from what we saw against what was considered to be an unbeatable BAMA defense. Sorry, he's a choker. 😵😛

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta

    @texasag1969 said:

    He couldn't even hit his open receivers at the end of the rivalry game with NC St. A far cry from what we saw against what was considered to be an unbeatable BAMA defense. Sorry, he's a choker. 😵😛

    Bama never saw that many illegal picks either. One game college doesn't make a NFL career. Yeah, he had a nice game- would your opinion be any different if Clemson had lost (as they should have).

    @texasag1969 said:

    That's why I compared him to Romo who often did the exact same thing only to falter in the stretch when it really counted. Never denied he wasn't a good player, just don't see him as a closer.

    Right now Ag, I see only around a 50% chance at best Mitch is going to be on the Browns. Unless the Browns do a trade up. If the Jets jump up to #2, it's over- there will be zero doubt who they're taking. I just can't see the Browns doing a deal with the 49ers- way too costly. But if he's still on the Board with the Titans picking- it could get interesting.

    @roycerolls said:

    Drafting Watson after cutting RG3 is the football equivalent of. It trusting a fart and then shitting your pants on purpose.

    There's some of us that share that opinion. and it's not because of skin color either. I'm as much against Watson as I was about Manziel. And if you've hung around this board long enough you know my opinion about Manziel.

  • Drafting Watson after cutting RG3 is the football equivalent of not trusting a fart and then shitting your pants on purpose.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by

    @roycerolls said:

    Drafting Watson after cutting RG3 is the football equivalent of. It trusting a fart and then shitting your pants on purpose.

    LMAO! Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it?

    That said, I always find myself sticking up for Watson even if it opens me up for future ballbusting later.

    Here's my order of favorite QB prospects (none of which I want at #1, #12 or trade up from #12):

    Mitch L Trubisky

    Watson (very close 2nd IMO)

    Mahomes

    Dobbs

    Webb

    Peterman

  • @tour2ma said:

    The tools are there, .. and I definitely do not like the price of those odds.

    How's the price around #6 To #12 over a Howard or Foster maybe?? I see you favor Watson over Mitch? is that with AJ McCarron gloves on or off in cold games? 😉 Edit--(I did find a Watson game with Elements in ND in 2015..He's not as awful as I once thought in it)

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma

    All of us felt good about our #1's at the time? Manziel felt good? Wheezy felt good? Passing on Khalil Mack felt good?

    Obviously I do not know what feeling good is like.... Are my parents to blame?

    @gumby73 said:

    How's the price around #6 To #12 over a Howard or Foster maybe?? I see you favor Watson over Mitch? is that with AJ McCarron gloves on or off in cold games? 😉 Edit--(I did find a Watson game with Elements in ND in 2015..He's not as awful as I once thought in it)

    Nah... no AJ needed. Watson did it on his own... better odds. 😉

    I love the price of all those on my Big Board at 12... or they wouldn't be there.

    If, in part, you are asking if I'd move up as high as 6 to go get one? My answer is, no... because one or more will fall to me at 12...

    • There are 10 picks between 1 and 12. I like 8 prospects at 12... and would be happy with any of them.
    • I think at least three prospects out of those ten taken #2 thru 11 will come from the QB/RB/WR pool.
    • Therefore at least one falls to me.

    #QED

    Plus... I like a lot of the talent I see with the pick(s) with which I'd have to part to move up.

    #LetTheDraftCome2Us

  • @texasag1969 said:

    He couldn't even hit his open receivers at the end of the rivalry game with NC St. A far cry from what we saw against what was considered to be an unbeatable BAMA defense. Sorry, he's a choker. 😵😛

    Bama never saw that many illegal picks either. One game college doesn't make a NFL career. Yeah, he had a nice game- would your opinion be any different if Clemson had lost (as they should have).

    @texasag1969 said:

    That's why I compared him to Romo who often did the exact same thing only to falter in the stretch when it really counted. Never denied he wasn't a good player, just don't see him as a closer.

    Right now Ag, I see only around a 50% chance at best Mitch is going to be on the Browns. Unless the Browns do a trade up. If the Jets jump up to #2, it's over- there will be zero doubt who they're taking. I just can't see the Browns doing a deal with the 49ers- way too costly. But if he's still on the Board with the Titans picking- it could get interesting.

    @roycerolls said:

    Drafting Watson after cutting RG3 is the football equivalent of. It trusting a fart and then shitting your pants on purpose.

    There's some of us that share that opinion. and it's not because of skin color either. I'm as much against Watson as I was about Manziel. And if you've hung around this board long enough you know my opinion about Manziel.

    R RoyceRolls wrote on last edited by RoyceRolls

    @hoorta said:

    There's some of us that share that opinion. and it's not because of skin color either. I'm as much against Watson as I was about Manziel. And if you've hung around this board long enough you know my opinion about Manziel.

    I agree, I didn't like manziel for the same reason I don't like Watson; under sized QBs who run too much aren't long for the NFL. Watson may be bigger than manziel, but not big enough for how dependent his game is on running the ball. Furthermore with his accuracy/ velocity issues, Watson will be a perennial 20+ INT guy at the next level provided he's healthy enough to play full seasons.
  • medicinemanM medicineman wrote on last edited by

    If Hue trades the first pick to get Cousions or does anything to not get Miles then he mite as well just quit and move out of the Land