Skip to content

Schefter: Browns still split between taking Garrett and Trubisky with #1 pick

The Browns Board
144 30 3.5k
  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #70
    • A non-QB who is way better at his position than any of the QBs in this draft are at their position is exactly the situation we have before us.
    Purely a matter of opinion.
  • Your post makes a lot of sense and I agree with it. Picking a QB #1 doesn't scare me. What DOES scare me is our team trading out of the #1 position. Our insatiable need to acquire draft picks and inability to just take the best effing player available. I can understand exploring every option, but I also don't want to over think this. Let me give you an example of the possible temptation we're facing:

    The Chicago Bears are in love with Myles Garrett, and they feel he's just what the team needs to get down and dirty in the NFC. They'll do anything to get him. Even though they are only jumping up from 3 to 1, they are offering their 2018 1st rounder and a 4th rounder. If you're the Browns, you're only falling two positions, and you're getting yet ANOTHER high 2018 draft pick. Perhaps VERY high, right? At #3, the Browns could still get Solomon Thomas or Safety Jamal Adams, AND have a potential top ten extra pick in 2018...in addition to the three 2nd rounders we already have. With the 2018 QB class potentially being MUCH better than this year's...do we pull the trigger?

    I haven't run the numbers, and I don't know if that even makes sense...I'm just providing food for thought. Picking a QB #1 isn't going to happen, but us trading down a bit is a VERY real possibility.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #71

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Your post makes a lot of sense and I agree with it. Picking a QB #1 doesn't scare me. What DOES scare me is our team trading out of the #1 position. Our insatiable need to acquire draft picks and inability to just take the best effing player available. I can understand exploring every option, but I also don't want to over think this. Let me give you an example of the possible temptation we're facing:

    The Chicago Bears are in love with Myles Garrett, and they feel he's just what the team needs to get down and dirty in the NFC. They'll do anything to get him. Even though they are only jumping up from 3 to 1, they are offering their 2018 1st rounder and a 4th rounder. If you're the Browns, you're only falling two positions, and you're getting yet ANOTHER high 2018 draft pick. Perhaps VERY high, right? At #3, the Browns could still get Solomon Thomas or Safety Jamal Adams, AND have a potential top ten extra pick in 2018...in addition to the three 2nd rounders we already have. With the 2018 QB class potentially being MUCH better than this year's...do we pull the trigger?

    I haven't run the numbers, and I don't know if that even makes sense...I'm just providing food for thought. Picking a QB #1 isn't going to happen, but us trading down a bit is a VERY real possibility.

    Where did you hear about this offer/rumor about the Bears offering to trade up with the Browns? This is the first I have heard of it.

  • htownbrownH htownbrown wrote on last edited by
    #72

    So we skip Wentz and Garrett to pick Mitchell??? Are we trying to fuck this up???

  • darren15D darren15 wrote on last edited by
    #73
    Connor Rogers‏Verified account @ConnorJRogers 55m55 minutes ago
    Connor Rogers@ConnorJRogers
    "Hue Jackson likes Trubisky. Garrett will be the pick from what I've been told, but they could trade back up for Trubisky" -@nfldraftscout
    More

    "Hue Jackson likes Trubisky. Garrett will be the pick from what I've been told, but they could trade back up for Trubisky"

  • B Bigalow80 wrote on last edited by
    #74

    I think it's all a smokescreen. All the stuff this time of year is people just conjecturing thoughts out into the open to see the reaction of other teams. There might be a real feeling in the browns front office, that if they take Garrett at 1, MT won't be back there by 12. If that's the case, is it worth taking him at #1? I have no doubt this has been a conversation. It SHOULD be a conversation. However, this is where you have to trust your board and your scouts and go from there. Also, I think they are doing their due diligence by saying they would be willing to trade out of the number one spot. Why not? If someone is going to offer a deal that is unbelieveable, why wouldn't you take it? For example, what if the Jets offer: This year #1 and #2 plus next year #1 AND Sheldon Richardson? I think that is a no brainer that you take it. It's not going to happen because the Jets and the 49ers are in complete tear down mode so they will more than likely trade out than up, but I'm just saying. There is a reason they are talking to other teams about trading back into the first round as well. The browns are evaluating ALL potential scenarios at this point. They are pre-planning. At this point, their board is set. Now, they are training to see how they react if certain things fall on draft night. This is how smart front offices prepare.

    The latest rumor on the radio was that Hue wants Garrett and the front office is thinking of MT. Surprising? A little, but i think in the end the browns have shown they are willing to stick to their guns and draft who they feel is the best player available. Trash last year's draft all you want, but that was a lot of rookies playing a lot of minutes. everyone thought shelton, kirksey and schwartz were all busts after rookie years. Give these kids a chance to grow up before evaluating them. This team needs playmakers and Hue realizes that first and foremost.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #75

    As far as I am concerned this just goes to prove my point that the draft is held like a month too late. All it does is give us fans...and the NFL front offices more time to muse over these picks, to overthink these picks, to chew them up, regurgitate them like a cud and swallow it again.

  • As far as I am concerned this just goes to prove my point that the draft is held like a month too late. All it does is give us fans...and the NFL front offices more time to muse over these picks, to overthink these picks, to chew them up, regurgitate them like a cud and swallow it again.

    htownbrownH htownbrown wrote on last edited by
    #76

    @the-gipper said:

    As far as I am concerned this just goes to prove my point that the draft is held like a month too late. All it does is give us fans...and the NFL front offices more time to muse over these picks, to overthink these picks, to chew them up, regurgitate them like a cud and swallow it again.

    Agreed........plus it takes away from the NBA playoffs.

  • Connor Rogers‏Verified account @ConnorJRogers 55m55 minutes ago
    Connor Rogers@ConnorJRogers
    "Hue Jackson likes Trubisky. Garrett will be the pick from what I've been told, but they could trade back up for Trubisky" -@nfldraftscout
    More

    "Hue Jackson likes Trubisky. Garrett will be the pick from what I've been told, but they could trade back up for Trubisky"

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #77

    @darren15 said:

    "Hue Jackson likes Trubisky. Garrett will be the pick from what I've been told, but they could trade back up for Trubisky"

    LOL great minds think alike? What I just said......

  • cambridgehoC cambridgeho wrote on last edited by
    #78

    I thought Hue liked Kessler. Isnt that why he said "trust me on this" when they drafted him 3 rounds sooner then predicted?

  • @the-gipper said:

    As far as I am concerned this just goes to prove my point that the draft is held like a month too late. All it does is give us fans...and the NFL front offices more time to muse over these picks, to overthink these picks, to chew them up, regurgitate them like a cud and swallow it again.

    Agreed........plus it takes away from the NBA playoffs.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #79

    @htownbrown said:

    Agreed........plus it takes away from the NBA playoffs.

    The NBA season is too long...and the NBA playoffs are way way too long.

    I mean, if baseball only allows a total of 8 teams into its playoffs, and they hold a 1 game and 5 game playoff series..the only one going 7 games being the World Series, then why does the NBA have to have 16 teams....more than half of the teams in the league, then hold 7 game playoffs for every single round?

    Why? Greed clearly. They just want that money.

    Ergo...the NBA should NOT be griping about team's resting their players when they have this ridiculously long playoff season.

  • As far as I am concerned this just goes to prove my point that the draft is held like a month too late. All it does is give us fans...and the NFL front offices more time to muse over these picks, to overthink these picks, to chew them up, regurgitate them like a cud and swallow it again.

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #80

    @the-gipper said:

    As far as I am concerned this just goes to prove my point that the draft is held like a month too late. All it does is give us fans...and the NFL front offices more time to muse over these picks, to overthink these picks, to chew them up, regurgitate them like a cud and swallow it again.

    It's a job interview process that really does not take off till after Senior Bowl (1-28). Legally the process can start when kid hires agent. Roger get's official list to teams on Jan.16th. Your also allowing for important combine numbers but more important is the double players medical's that teams must have. Roger don't care what other sports think..It's all about Football πŸ₯· (ever had to wait on a attorney?)

    @darren15 said:

    Connor Rogers‏Verified account @ConnorJRogers 55m55 minutes ago

    More

    "Hue Jackson likes Trubisky. Garrett will be the pick from what I've been told, but they could trade back up for Trubisky"

    these our the crud's that are crap. Stories get turned around. As of yesterday it was reported that Hue was sold on Garrett & FO was favoring Mitch..It's all posturing. Were taking Garrett as the Harvard committee drive up are local Mitch than slide in for Adams or Soloman Thomas. The only chance of losing Garrett is if Gregg "the prick" Williams makes Myles cry 😊

  • @the-gipper said:

    As far as I am concerned this just goes to prove my point that the draft is held like a month too late. All it does is give us fans...and the NFL front offices more time to muse over these picks, to overthink these picks, to chew them up, regurgitate them like a cud and swallow it again.

    It's a job interview process that really does not take off till after Senior Bowl (1-28). Legally the process can start when kid hires agent. Roger get's official list to teams on Jan.16th. Your also allowing for important combine numbers but more important is the double players medical's that teams must have. Roger don't care what other sports think..It's all about Football πŸ₯· (ever had to wait on a attorney?)

    @darren15 said:

    Connor Rogers‏Verified account @ConnorJRogers 55m55 minutes ago

    More

    "Hue Jackson likes Trubisky. Garrett will be the pick from what I've been told, but they could trade back up for Trubisky"

    these our the crud's that are crap. Stories get turned around. As of yesterday it was reported that Hue was sold on Garrett & FO was favoring Mitch..It's all posturing. Were taking Garrett as the Harvard committee drive up are local Mitch than slide in for Adams or Soloman Thomas. The only chance of losing Garrett is if Gregg "the prick" Williams makes Myles cry 😊

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #81

    @gumby73 said:

    It's a job interview process that really does not take off till after Senior Bowl. Legally the process can start when kid hires agent. Roger get's official list to teams on Jan.16th. Your also allowing for important combine numbers but more important is the double players medical's that teams must have. Roger don't care what other sports think..It's all about Football πŸ₯· (ever had to wait on a attorney?)

    The NBA gets there draft done a month after the season ends. I am not saying it does not take time...just that this seems a month too long

    ....and NO, I have never had to wait on an attorney...Doctors on the other hand...OY

    these our the crud's that are crap. Stories get turned around. As of yesterday it was reported that Hue was sold on Garrett & FO was favoring Mitch..It's all posturing. Were taking Garrett as the Harvard committee drive up are local Mitch than slide in for Adams or Soloman Thomas. The only chance of losing Garrett is if Gregg "the prick" Williams makes Myles cry 😊

    No there here.

  • @gumby73 said:

    It's a job interview process that really does not take off till after Senior Bowl. Legally the process can start when kid hires agent. Roger get's official list to teams on Jan.16th. Your also allowing for important combine numbers but more important is the double players medical's that teams must have. Roger don't care what other sports think..It's all about Football πŸ₯· (ever had to wait on a attorney?)

    The NBA gets there draft done a month after the season ends. I am not saying it does not take time...just that this seems a month too long

    ....and NO, I have never had to wait on an attorney...Doctors on the other hand...OY

    these our the crud's that are crap. Stories get turned around. As of yesterday it was reported that Hue was sold on Garrett & FO was favoring Mitch..It's all posturing. Were taking Garrett as the Harvard committee drive up are local Mitch than slide in for Adams or Soloman Thomas. The only chance of losing Garrett is if Gregg "the prick" Williams makes Myles cry 😊

    No there here.

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #82

    @the-gipper said:

    @gumby73 said:

    It's a job interview process that really does not take off till after Senior Bowl. Legally the process can start when kid hires agent. Roger get's official list to teams on Jan.16th. Your also allowing for important combine numbers but more important is the double players medical's that teams must have. Roger don't care what other sports think..It's all about Football πŸ₯· (ever had to wait on a attorney?)

    The NBA gets there draft done a month after the season ends. I am not saying it does not take time...just that this seems a month too long

    ....and NO, I have never had to wait on an attorney...Doctors on the other hand...OY

    these our the crud's that are crap. Stories get turned around. As of yesterday it was reported that Hue was sold on Garrett & FO was favoring Mitch..It's all posturing. Were taking Garrett as the Harvard committee drive up are local Mitch than slide in for Adams or Soloman Thomas. The only chance of losing Garrett is if Gregg "the prick" Williams makes Myles cry 😊

    No there here.

    @darren15 said:

    "Hue Jackson likes Trubisky. Garrett will be the pick from what I've been told, but they could trade back up for Trubisky"

    Would you believe a statewide NFL Sirius Radio for news? OR a guy claiming to be "the Stick to Football guy" from the damn Jets homo projecting his 7th mock draft?

  • runyon27R runyon27 wrote on last edited by
    #83

    If the Browns FO for some reason decided to pick Mitch over Garrett I would want the whole FO canned before they were allowed to make the 12th pick. I like Mitch, I think he is the best QB of the bunch but trade back up to get him dont pass on Garrett.

  • If the Browns FO for some reason decided to pick Mitch over Garrett I would want the whole FO canned before they were allowed to make the 12th pick. I like Mitch, I think he is the best QB of the bunch but trade back up to get him dont pass on Garrett.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #84

    @runyon27 said:

    If the Browns FO for some reason decided to pick Mitch over Garrett I would want the whole FO canned before they were allowed to make the 12th pick. I like Mitch, I think he is the best QB of the bunch but trade back up to get him dont pass on Garrett.

    Buy the team, then you can make those decisions.

  • @runyon27 said:

    If the Browns FO for some reason decided to pick Mitch over Garrett I would want the whole FO canned before they were allowed to make the 12th pick. I like Mitch, I think he is the best QB of the bunch but trade back up to get him dont pass on Garrett.

    Buy the team, then you can make those decisions.

    htownbrownH htownbrown wrote on last edited by
    #85

    @the-gipper said:

    Buy the team, then you can make those decisions.

    The only way to buy a decade of failure is to buy the Browns after picking another backup QB in the first round.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Buy the team, then you can make those decisions.

    The only way to buy a decade of failure is to buy the Browns after picking another backup QB in the first round.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #86

    @htownbrown said:

    The only way to buy a decade of failure is to buy the Browns after picking another backup QB in the first round.

    Or worse yet, another DE that can't even a backup. Mingo, Courtney, Wimbley. Well, maybe Wimbley could be a backup.

  • @htownbrown said:

    The only way to buy a decade of failure is to buy the Browns after picking another backup QB in the first round.

    Or worse yet, another DE that can't even a backup. Mingo, Courtney, Wimbley. Well, maybe Wimbley could be a backup.

    htownbrownH htownbrown wrote on last edited by
    #87

    @the-gipper said:

    Or worse yet, another DE that can't even a backup. Mingo, Courtney, Wimbley. Well, maybe Wimbley could be a backup.

    So which one do you want to compare Garrett to? Garrett is better than all 3 combined coming out of college. Mitchell isn't even as good as what we could of had last year.

  • LBC mikeL LBC mike wrote on last edited by LBC mike
    #88

    No fucking Weeden, manziel, Brady ........repeat. BPA PLEASE

  • LBC mikeL LBC mike wrote on last edited by
    #89

    Next year QB class is better